05. High Germany - The Erin's Jig
06. And Fires Also Die Away
07. Those Days Are Gone
08. Tarantella Siciliana
09. We Wre The Fading Sun
10. Aeolian Islands
11. Cosa Nostra
12. Pagan Nation

François-René de Chateaubriand, the founder of Romanticism in French literature, once said "Il ne faut pas être plus royaliste que le roi," meaning: "Don't try to outpope the pope." Being not even fit to lace this great writer's boots, I wouldn't even dare to question this august quote but a pagan Argentinian quartet dubbed Tersivel did it by embracing a culture approximately seven thousand miles away from their hometown Buenos Aires and outshining Scandinavia's very own sons with an opus entitled For One Pagan Brotherhood.

What's going on here? It seems like Argentina's sumptuous cultural heritage has begotten the emergence of a deadly trident whose prongs bear respectively the names Skiltron, Tersivel and Tengwar - three pagan folk metal acts who have surprisingly stood up to the backbreaking task of unbridling music, so pure, so authentic, so soulful that I can't help it but keep asking myself, "God, are those demons really Argentinians?" How could someone from a different background make something so great that even its very genuine group can't better it? Well, I think I might know the answer; it's simply passion?indomitable passion.

Tersivel with their first full-length album, For One Pagan Brotherhood, have utterly conquered all the metal territories from power through speed to black metal, adding a different festive flavor to their sound and hewing out a new path for the upcoming generations to follow. Their music is basically eerie, haunting, inspiring, stirring, invigorating, pulverizing, thrashing and striking. Eerie and haunting because of the acoustic "Aeolian Islands," the atmospheric "And Fires Also Die Away," and the violinistic "Those Days Are Gone" are very soothing and heavenly, I could almost feel the Scandinavian fells' solstitial snow-drenched grass slipping through my fingers and the gentle zephyr of freedom gliding on my face while all my tension is just melting away.

Inspiring, stirring and invigorating because this pagan beast is gorged with uplifting and heartening soloing flutes, exuberant, yet blackened keyboard-steering leaks à la Darkthrone, Behemoth's crushing guitar drips, Wintersun's mercurial pace-changing ingenuity, and Jungle Rot's brutal and complex song structures, all spreading like wildfire and coiling up through the forgotten pagan lands, with the devil's horns as their only guides and their halberd-like swords as their sole friends.

Pulverizing, thrashing and striking because, although this record might not seem quite accessible on the first listen, the second and the third tryouts will do the work, and by work, I mean an instant rummaging through the brain cells for relief and pure mind-blowing revelry into the heart of the pagan art.

Tersivel, this is another new rising starlet from Argentina that I'll be keeping an eye on. Give them a listen, you won't regret it. This is definitely one of the finest extreme folk metal deliveries of 2011, well-written, well-crafted and brilliantly processed for a memorable experience?For one pagan brotherhood.

Written by Mindheist | 04.08.2011

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 221 users
10.08.2011 - 16:18
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I'm Argentinian and I never heard of this band :/

I will check them out now.
11.08.2011 - 09:47
Arcticus

Quote:
I could almost feel the Scandinavian fells' solstitial snow-drenched grass slipping through my fingers and the gentle zephyr of freedom gliding on my face while all my tension is just melting away.

But seriously, sounds good. I'll try to track this down.
12.08.2011 - 21:29
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
This reminds me a lot of Turisas. It's very good.
10.09.2011 - 07:23
Rating: 7
Kuroboshi

You're right, this surpasses a lot of the pagan metal from the north, and manage to sound very scandivania-esque. But for me, this folk movement just isn't interesting. Too much blaha-blaha for me. I wonder if I'll ever come upon something I can enjoy as much as Finntroll, when it comes to folk.
10.09.2011 - 11:08
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by Kuroboshi on 10.09.2011 at 07:23

You're right, this surpasses a lot of the pagan metal from the north, and manage to sound very scandivania-esque. But for me, this folk movement just isn't interesting. Too much blaha-blaha for me. I wonder if I'll ever come upon something I can enjoy as much as Finntroll, when it comes to folk.

Try Skiltron's The Highland Way. I don't think you will be disappointed .
10.09.2011 - 12:42
Rating: 9
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Wow this album is really something special! I owe it to your great review that I decided to check this out
10.09.2011 - 13:55
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by R'Vannith on 10.09.2011 at 12:42

Wow this album is really something special! I owe it to your great review that I decided to check this out

Thanks man, I'm glad I could help and thanks for reading it .
15.09.2011 - 04:54
Rating: 9
Destructo

The best thing about this is album is not only is the music excellent, but inspite of not having the overdone Celtic & Viking themes, it still manages to retain it's folky goodness. Definitely expecting bigger and better things from Tersivel.

Hits total: 7361 | This month: 8