Metal Storm logo
DragonForce

Original post

Posted by FlareHeart, 18.05.2006 - 03:58
Since there wasn't a thread for them yet I thought to make one for them. Just the typical band thread. Post your opinions, good and bad are welcome. My opinion is that these guys are very talented although they do need to try something new. All of their albums are far too similar. After listening to all of their albums it is had for me to tell them apart. But overall a very good band with a very unique sound. The topic is now open for posting!
26.05.2008 - 14:17
Smurfophagist
Herman Li - The Hair Strikes Back
----
Having a signature is an absolute must.
27.05.2008 - 17:47
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Written by Gordon Freeman on 26.05.2008 at 01:26

Written by +{Jonas}+ on 20.05.2008 at 05:24

Written by Gordon Freeman on 20.05.2008 at 00:31

Written by Guest on 17.05.2008 at 16:48

Written by Dane Train on 15.05.2008 at 22:32

I see these guys as the modern Def Lepard. All studio work to create catchy cookie cutter music.

Agreed.

Minus the copius amounts of drugs and alchohol and the one armed drummer.

And probaly with much less girls.

Hey a lot of power metalers are girl-like...at least from behind. Does that count?

I don't think it counts... much.
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
30.05.2008 - 20:53
ICSVortex
Account deleted
I love Dragonforce. Saw them in concert last year with Killswitch Engage and Chimaira (Killswitch sucked in my opinion) Dragonforce put on a great show! One thing i'd like though is for them to tidy up their playing skills when they are live, it get's quite sloppy at some points.
Above all however, they are a great band.
31.05.2008 - 20:35
DIO Is God
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.05.2008 at 20:53

I love Dragonforce. Saw them in concert last year with Killswitch Engage and Chimaira (Killswitch sucked in my opinion) Dragonforce put on a great show! One thing i'd like though is for them to tidy up their playing skills when they are live, it get's quite sloppy at some points.

Yeah man, that was an awesome tour. I it when they came to Cleveland. IMO though, Herman and Sam could use some better guitars. Their Ibanez have a very awful sound, live.
03.06.2008 - 13:53
Princess91
Account deleted
I think DragonForce is a great band. Yeah people say they're not good live but I also hear people saying that they are. There will always be haters for each band out there and the DF-haters will probably argue against me on this one but yeah okay I'll admit that their live performance in Graspop wasn't one of their best. The guitars were a bit out of tune, weren't they? But other than the guitar-problem and ZP hitting one false note in Valley of the damned, I think the performance itself was very good, much energy on stage.
Then it's their performance at Download Festival last year, man did they surprise everyone with sounding great. So I don't think they're bad live as long as they don't have tech-issues like they did on Sweden Rock, but I mean problems like that will happen to every band sooner or later.
30.08.2008 - 09:17
Hrothdane
I'm just curious to hear what metalstormers think of Ultra Beatdown. I didn't really have high expectations, but a few of the songs actually stick out to me (heroes of our time, reasons to live, strike of the ninja).
----
Despair is death, and I'm not interested in dying.

Member of the True Crusade against True Crusades
31.08.2008 - 21:40
Janne
Hugin
I haven't got the album yet but I'm very curious what do ppl think about it.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
31.08.2008 - 21:56
GT
Coffee!!
staff
@Hrothdane and Janne: here you'll find people discussing the new album...mostly the responses are negative
----

Dreams are made so we don't get bored when we sleep
31.08.2008 - 22:19
Janne
Hugin
Written by GT on 31.08.2008 at 21:56

@Hrothdane and Janne: here you'll find people discussing the new album...mostly the responses are negative

thanks!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
09.09.2008 - 04:41
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen

i saw them on that same tour. chimaira played the best out of the 3, dragonforce being the second best and killswitch third. dragonforce was really drunk during their performance, attributing to the sloppiness you described above. if they didnt drink as much prior to their sets, i think they would be a much better band. did they have beer holders with coronas in them during your show too?
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
09.09.2008 - 04:59
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by LeChron James on 09.09.2008 at 04:41

i saw them on that same tour. chimaira played the best out of the 3, dragonforce being the second best and killswitch third. dragonforce was really drunk during their performance, attributing to the sloppiness you described above. if they didnt drink as much prior to their sets, i think they would be a much better band. did they have beer holders with coronas in them during your show too?

I heard about the drunk thing. I heard its just an excuse for why their shit is so much sloppier/slower played live, Herman Li tends to make excuses for that, I forget where I read it but he was talking about his hair being in the way or something.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
09.09.2008 - 08:30
LeChron James
Helvetesfossen
Written by Doc G. on 09.09.2008 at 04:59

Written by LeChron James on 09.09.2008 at 04:41

I heard about the drunk thing. I heard its just an excuse for why their shit is so much sloppier/slower played live, Herman Li tends to make excuses for that, I forget where I read it but he was talking about his hair being in the way or something.

thats a buncha bullshit. REAL masters of metal can play without having to see the fretboard anyway. just like most metal masters can do pyrotechnics without having to worry about a dumbass band member walking into the middle of it *cough* hetfield *cough*.
----
Kick Ass, Die Young

Less is More
Stay Pure
Stay Poor

Music was my life, music brought me to life and music is how I will be remembered long after I leave this life. When I die there will be a final waltz in my head that only I can hear.
23.09.2008 - 19:52
Janne
Hugin
I only have the newest album of them so I'd like to know if their earlier stuff also use so "silly" synths. It reminds me some disco effects but not bad...
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.09.2008 - 19:55
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
staff
Written by Janne on 23.09.2008 at 19:52

I only have the newest album of them so I'd like to know if their earlier stuff also use so "silly" synths. It reminds me some disco effects but not bad...

Their newest album is no different from the last 2.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.09.2008 - 20:04
Janne
Hugin
Written by Doc G. on 23.09.2008 at 19:55

Written by Janne on 23.09.2008 at 19:52

Their newest album is no different from the last 2.

I see. thanx!
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
23.09.2008 - 20:35
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
Probably one of the best band on the planet.
I will se them Play Above of The Winter Moonlight Live.:D

Valley of the Damned - 9/10
Sonic Firestorm - 10/10
Inhuman Rampage 8/10
Ultra Beatdown (Includes Bonus songs) 6/10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzn9uF0VBpI
Best song beside of Soldier of the Wasteland, Above of the Winter Moonlight and Fury of the Storm.

The only songs that is awful is the free last Bonus song in Ultra Beatdown. Really Awful!
26.09.2008 - 06:50
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
Well I heasrd Ulta Beatdown and all i can say is More of the same, I mena it's not bad, it sticks to their xtreme speed formula. An enjoyable album...
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
26.09.2008 - 18:59
kkktookmybaby
dragonforce is a really overrated band in my opinion...
26.09.2008 - 21:41
Janne
Hugin
Written by kkktookmybaby on 26.09.2008 at 18:59

dragonforce is a really overrated band in my opinion...

I experienced the opposite here... Nearly everyone says it's boring.
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
27.09.2008 - 16:43
If anyone wants to see photos i took of DragonForces warm-up gig in Oxford, then follow this link:

http://www.new.facebook.com/album.php?aid=61072&l=cd844&id=679171677
27.09.2008 - 21:26
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
Written by +{Jonas}+ on 26.09.2008 at 06:50

Well I heasrd Ulta Beatdown and all i can say is More of the same, I mena it's not bad, it sticks to their xtreme speed formula. An enjoyable album...

He the best song in Ultra beatdown is Reason to Live. the 3 first song is allright, but far away so good as the three earlier album.
02.10.2008 - 11:12
☭ Mr. S &#9773
Owner of the DSA
DragonForce phones it in live. I saw them at the Mayhem Festival (the true Mayhem should sue them). Whenever their was a really fast guitar part they would turn up all of the other instruments so you couldnt hear that they couldnt play it as fast as on the album.
----
Seize the weed of production!
02.10.2008 - 11:54
corrupt
With a lowercase c
admin
Written by ☭ Mr. S &#9773 on 02.10.2008 at 11:12

DragonForce phones it in live. I saw them at the Mayhem Festival (the true Mayhem should sue them). Whenever their was a really fast guitar part they would turn up all of the other instruments so you couldnt hear that they couldnt play it as fast as on the album.

Experienced the opposite on a gig in my city about two years ago. The venue was so small, there wasn't even a stage, you could practically touch the guys while they were playing. Anyway, since their lead guitar guy is so small they set up a small platform for him to stand on while soloing. And that guy went about crazy on that. It was definitely as fast as on the album. Very impressive small gig...
----
04.10.2008 - 20:33
Dragonforce89
Account deleted
haven't you heard the Bonus song from DF från Ultra Beatdown. Completely awful. They must took drugs or something when they did E.M.P and the 2 others.
Awful songs and not Dragonforcestyles.
05.10.2008 - 17:06
Arian Totalis
The Philosopher
I just now listened to the single from their new album and I must, say it sounds like they're taking old songs, only slightly changing the progressions and tonal shifts, and then trying to pass it off as origional. Also, ZP looks fucking retarded now.
----
"For the Coward there is no Life
For the hero there is No Death"
-Kakita Toshimoko

"The Philosopher, you know so much about nothing at all." _Chuck Schuldiner.
14.10.2008 - 02:32
thesabbathfan
when they ditch ZP Theart, learn to play live, and lose the fucking ego then I will listen to them.
----
06.01.2009 - 19:34
MeloDeathViking
I like their stuff, but very similar, not to mention they are huge assholes live. They told us they were gonna stop playing because the crowd didn't sing the one verse, and kept flipping out, so I left.
----
"I am not superstitious, but I'm a little 'stitious." - Michael Scott
07.01.2009 - 03:45
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Hear one Dragonforce album and you know what every single album sounds like....seriously boring and uninspiring band. Nice once in a while to amuse some friends about how fast they play but other than that its pretty redundant.
07.01.2009 - 16:28
Hellkommando
Yeah I find them fairly uninspiring and bland really, I also think some of their guitar work is a tad dubious, thats just my 2 cents.
----

Formerly Desolate Gale
01.02.2009 - 19:25
Zelse
I've been a diehard fan since before Sonic Firestorm was released... been one of my most favorite bands ever since I first heard them, but the past couple years I've been kind of iffy on them. I hate how mainstream they've become thanks to Through the Fire and Flames being in Guitar Hero 3, and I really can't stand the love-hate arguments that explode every single time they're mentioned somewhere.

Personally, I think each album of theirs is different and brilliant in its own way, but I also have a thing for power metal. I don't care if someone doesn't like my taste in music, but I also don't like how everyone is so quick to accuse Dragonforce of speeding their songs up in the studio, that they can't play it live, etc. - because they are very talented musicians, and they can pull it off live. The problem is that their sound really doesn't seem to come out well in an outdoor gig - that infamous Graspop video should be a testament to that.

However, I can't really defend their past two music videos. Heroes of Our Time was great except for the weird medical concept, and this new Last Journey Home music video is utter garbage. Just terrible - not only is the video itself horrendous, but they cut the song in half and removed every slow part of the song. Ugh.