Metal Storm logo
DragonForce

Original post

Posted by FlareHeart, 18.05.2006 - 03:58
Since there wasn't a thread for them yet I thought to make one for them. Just the typical band thread. Post your opinions, good and bad are welcome. My opinion is that these guys are very talented although they do need to try something new. All of their albums are far too similar. After listening to all of their albums it is had for me to tell them apart. But overall a very good band with a very unique sound. The topic is now open for posting!
17.04.2010 - 12:43
Janne
Hugin
Hehe then this site is out of universe..
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
17.04.2010 - 16:07
Lord_Regnier
Let's fix this:

Written by Guest on 17.04.2010 at 06:40

DragonForce is the best band in the universe
Inhuman Rampage is the best album in the universe
Black Winter Night is the best song in the universe
Power Metal is the best music genre in the universe
I'm the blindest absolute Powermetal fanboy in the universe

I understand that there are people who like x or y musical genre but using absolutes like that is foolish. Your opinion is void because you're a blind fanboy (and quite of a spammer, by the way).
You're just another one of those people who suffer from the illness that makes them believe anything that sounds remotely like Powermetal is awesome.
Typical of PM to attract this kind of blind followers.
----
"Why would we fear death, when life is so much more frightening?"
17.04.2010 - 21:53
Lord_Regnier
Here's a detailed list of reasons why I don't like Dragonforce I posted on another forym a while ago.

It's just that I don't enjoy this band, for many reasons:

1. I enjoy metal much more when it has some roughness, a certain level of aggressivity. Dragonforce have none.

2. I usually hate cheesiness. Dragonforce is among the cheesiest metal bands out there.

3. I like metal when it has some rawness in the production. Dragonforce's sound is so clean and overpolished their music sounds utterly sterile.

4. I appreciate some variety in songs. Dragonforce is extremely repetitive. Most of their songs sound the same.

5. I like interesting lyrics and concepts. Dragonforce's lyrics are quite forgettable and there is no concept.

6. I like some harshness in vocals (I don't mean BM harsh vocals here). Dragonforce have only annoying very high-pitched clean vocals. Their singer often sounds gay even for PM standards. He sings too fast, on a completely emotionless, very boring tone. The only time he's good is on their slow songs.

7. I'm not a big fan of guitar solos, especially high-pitched shredding. Dragonforce's songs are overladen of shredding solos.

8. I like variety in drumming, tempo changes. Dragonforce's drums, while not easy to play at all, are very repetitive, with way too much right-left right-left bass drums. It takes an expert drummer to play Dragonforce's songs because it's damn fast but there's nothing original or very technical in this kind of drumming + very little variety in tempo. It's mostly basic stuff played extremely fast. It's awesome, in a sense, but boring after a few songs. Slow down their songs and it's not really hard to play. The tempo is so constant in songs, from start to end, and it's so repetitive, it sounds like a drum machine.
----
19.04.2010 - 02:25
Zuzuz0r
Lol, Shadow Warriors(joke band btw) sounds like Dragonforce + punk and Demoniac is Black Metal + Dragonforce-like guitar playing.
----
If this grand panorama before me is what you call God
Then God is not dead.
20.04.2010 - 02:19
Lord_Regnier
Written by Guest on 19.04.2010 at 01:26

Demoniac and Shadow Warriors are glorious bands.

People that don't like DragonForce should listen to these bands.

Are you serious? Both are utter crap. Twice as awful as Dragonforce.

And did you ever realize Shadow Warriors is a bunch of shitty songs they recorded while being dead drunk and they added a crappy sounding drum machine over this shit?
Shadow Warriors is not even a band.
----
26.04.2010 - 16:14
Janne
Hugin
Written by Guest on 25.04.2010 at 23:51

Dragonforce is going to release a album in 2011, it will be glorious

How do you know it will be glorious? have you heard it yet?
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
27.04.2010 - 19:23
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Crystal ball or magic mirror
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

27.04.2010 - 20:37
Janne
Hugin
I believe in fingers of a dragon..
----
age]

-FOLK METAL HUNGARY-
27.04.2010 - 22:26
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Eh, I used to listen to Dragonforce often, but I got tired of their music very fast. It's dull, boring, and lame. For me, their music has nothing to offer in terms of epicness, something they are obviously trying to convey. It's just half-assed speed metal with rudimentary lyrics. There seems to be no passion behind their music at all. At least Rhapsody of Fire (a similar band that sometimes annoys me) put a lot into their music, no matter how lame and cheesy it may be. It's obvious they spend more than 5 minutes recreating the last album they made and make authentically (not sure if that's the best word, actually) epic music. AND they have fun doing it. I'm sure there are many similar bands who do the same, and they make Dragonforce look like a poor excuse for a band in comparison.
27.04.2010 - 23:10
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Thats why i like their "ballads" - Starfire and Dawn Over A New World quite a lot...they are slow (in the DragonForce context)
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

18.08.2010 - 16:40
Wishmaster
Account deleted
Their stuff are catchy but really cheesy and boring, because it's like reinventing the wheel in every album, and YES they should try something new. Their lyrics are almost the same too. A lot of cheese are found in their music.
06.09.2010 - 14:43
Reza
Account deleted
From their songs, Valley of the Damned and My Spirit Will Go On aren't very bad but IMO the best sentence for this band is : "Dragonforce Is CRAP"
06.09.2010 - 19:59
Bushwookie
This band is so good playing live /Sarcasm
07.09.2010 - 15:21
Hardin
DragonForce is a fuckin joke. A lamest excuse for a band ever...
18.09.2010 - 23:51
ArtKiz
Their music is better suited for games. Sometimes I kinda like their cheesiness with their lyrics, it's like a fantasy story book for kids. )
They're a decent band imo.
21.05.2011 - 09:26
GroundZero
Written by Lord_Regnier on 17.04.2010 at 21:53

Here's a detailed list of reasons why I don't like Dragonforce I posted on another forym a while ago.

It's just that I don't enjoy this band, for many reasons:

1. I enjoy metal much more when it has some roughness, a certain level of aggressivity. Dragonforce have none.

3. I like metal when it has some rawness in the production. Dragonforce's sound is so clean and overpolished their music sounds utterly sterile.

4. I appreciate some variety in songs. Dragonforce is extremely repetitive. Most of their songs sound the same.

6. I like some harshness in vocals (I don't mean BM harsh vocals here). Dragonforce have only annoying very high-pitched clean vocals. Their singer often sounds gay even for PM standards. He sings too fast, on a completely emotionless, very boring tone. The only time he's good is on their slow songs.

8. I like variety in drumming, tempo changes. Dragonforce's drums, while not easy to play at all, are very repetitive, with way too much right-left right-left bass drums. It takes an expert drummer to play Dragonforce's songs because it's damn fast but there's nothing original or very technical in this kind of drumming + very little variety in tempo. It's mostly basic stuff played extremely fast. It's awesome, in a sense, but boring after a few songs. Slow down their songs and it's not really hard to play. The tempo is so constant in songs, from start to end, and it's so repetitive, it sounds like a drum machine.

I think the same about reasons 1, 3, 4 and 6.

I would add that they have a very poor performance when playing alive. Why do they write songs that can't be well performed alive? They are definitively a studio band.

Talking about drums (reason 8), many PM bands have drum plain tempos, no change at all. Although, the drummers' physical condition is remarkable.
05.06.2011 - 13:43
JÄY
Metal slave
Theyve got some great songs....just ok albums
09.06.2011 - 18:50
Dragonforce is in a shitty position. They sold out to Activision but everything other than that is pretty solid. Flame of Youth is still one of my favorite song of all time. Euro-power is kinda predictable but its fun stuff. Right up there with Draconian and all the heavy stuff. Okay maybe a tad below...but I like the Backstreet Boys too so you can laugh at my ass for that shit too.
----
Follow your heart, not trends.
28.06.2011 - 20:01
CRayzWalz
How come Dragonforce has gotten so much more mainstream exposure than other superior power metal bands like Helloween and Sonata Arctica?
28.06.2011 - 20:22
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by CRayzWalz on 28.06.2011 at 20:01

How come Dragonforce has gotten so much more mainstream exposure than other superior power metal bands like Helloween and Sonata Arctica?

Because they're more accessible.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
29.06.2011 - 00:57
Fat & Sassy!
Elite
Written by Troy Killjoy on 28.06.2011 at 20:22

Written by CRayzWalz on 28.06.2011 at 20:01

Because they're more accessible.

While this is true, this doesn't explain Sonata Arctica's case. Can't get more accessible than them, that's for sure.
03.12.2011 - 01:52
Perculees
I can understand why so many people don't like dragonforce and I agree there are many more great power metal bands but I will always love dragonforce, they dont take themselves too seriously the lyrics are cheesy and fun and I just can't help but smile whenever I hear them, yes many songs are similar and they know it have you ever listened to the track epm, they completely rip the piss out of themselves. In short I will always support dragonforce and I will continue to go and see them live as its fun, its not perfect but if I want perfect I go and see Opeth. Though i will say when I saw them supported by Turisas and again by Sabaton they were completely upstaged!
P.S Anyone who can make a 5 1/2 minute long song about a dragon from a nursery rhyme about frogs....classic
03.12.2011 - 05:30
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Dragonforce were upstaged by their support acts both times I saw them live. First by Edguy, then by Firewind. But they are a fun band, and they do have some genuinely great songs, if not genuinely great albums. (although the first album comes close)
25.12.2011 - 06:36
bj_waters
I think that DragonForce is best in small doses. Listening to an entire album will totally wear you out, but if you throw it into your iPod and shuffle it so that a song pops up at random, the songs on their own are pretty good. It's like a rich candy, like truffles. You can really enjoy one or two, but if you eat eight in a row, you'll feel sick. DragonForce is definitely the poster-child of power metal, but that doesn't necessarily make them the best, but they're still pretty good. They're like Manowar but sped up and with level 80 WoW characters.

Written by Guest on 22.11.2011 at 02:58

Bizarre interviews:

Those are some bizarre interviews. I thought the "worst question" one was pretty funny, though. They're probably pretty sick of Guitar Hero at this point.
25.12.2011 - 09:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by bj_waters on 25.12.2011 at 06:36

I think that DragonForce is best in small doses. Listening to an entire album will totally wear you out, but if you throw it into your iPod and shuffle it so that a song pops up at random, the songs on their own are pretty good. It's like a rich candy, like truffles. You can really enjoy one or two, but if you eat eight in a row, you'll feel sick. DragonForce is definitely the poster-child of power metal, but that doesn't necessarily make them the best, but they're still pretty good. They're like Manowar but sped up and with level 80 WoW characters.

This is a pretty great description of how I myself view Dragonforce. I like a few Dragonforce songs, but I don't think they've ever made a truly great album, aside from maybe their debut. If only they varied things up somewhat, they'd have the capacity to be great. They are undoubtedly very talented musicians, but they're inherent need to show off all the time undoubtedly hampers their albums as a whole.

Nah... I wouldn't compare them to Manowar, that's being too unkind...
15.04.2012 - 05:35
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Written by Guest on 15.04.2012 at 03:59

The new DragonForce NOT is Ultra Mega Super Glorious, Astonishing, Majestic, Wonderfull, Brilliant, Delightful, Fascinating, Incredible, Magnificent, Gorgeous, Marvelous, Remarkable, Amazing, Glorious.

Nor will it ever be, because it is DragonForce.

U mad bro?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
15.04.2012 - 06:15
bran
I could never get into dragonforce their stuff all sounds the same to me
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist
15.04.2012 - 22:04
I agree Flower, I heard a few songs off the new album and I think it's gonna be great.
18.04.2012 - 23:22
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
I used to like them when they debuted and they even started a huge following at my old high school from metalheads and non-metalheads alike(many of these people in the party scene). Though when I realized they were just a big gimmick I stopped enjoying them -- my friend saw them live and said they were to drunk to play all the crazy guitar parts and sounded terrible, and used many purposely cheesy props.

They arent truly passionate about the music which kind of lost the magic for me. Rhapsody, Pathfinder, Dragonland etc now are my substitions.

While these guys dont always take themselves serious they are still passionate about the music behind the facade, where Dragonforce isnt serious and isnt passionate, a Gimmick.(same problem with Alestorm)
----
pewpew.. gotcha
19.04.2012 - 07:09
bran
Written by AngelofDeth on 18.04.2012 at 23:22

I used to like them when they debuted and they even started a huge following at my old high school from metalheads and non-metalheads alike(many of these people in the party scene). Though when I realized they were just a big gimmick I stopped enjoying them -- my friend saw them live and said they were to drunk to play all the crazy guitar parts and sounded terrible, and used many purposely cheesy props.

They arent truly passionate about the music which kind of lost the magic for me. Rhapsody, Pathfinder, Dragonland etc now are my substitions.

While these guys dont always take themselves serious they are still passionate about the music behind the facade, where Dragonforce isnt serious and isnt passionate, a Gimmick.(same problem with Alestorm)

i couldnt agree more. i had a friend who was huge into them and went to go see them live and he said they were terrible, he said they messed up all the solos and the singer was too busy drinking beer and smoking cigarettes and forgot to come in on certain parts of the song. he said he would never listen to them again.
----
top 5 albums of 2012 so far.

1. wintersun- time I
2. woods of ypres- woods V grey skies and electric light
3. agalloch- faustian echoes EP
4. the slow death- II
5. kreator- phantom antichrist