07. Hold Me In Your Arms
08. Wanna Be God [Dedicated To Freddie Mercury]
09. Straight Out Of Hell
10. Asshole
11. Years
12. Make Fire Catch The Fly
13. Church Breaks Down
14. Another Shot Of Life [Limited edition bonus]
15. Burning Sun [Hammond version] [Dedicated To Jon Lord] [Limited edition bonus]
16. No Eternity [Japanese bonus]

Staff review by
Baz Anderson
Rating:
With such a terribly generic name and quite mundane album cover, you might be excused for doubting the content of the German legends' fourteenth original studio album. Those that have kept on the ball with Helloween in recent years however, will know that the band have been on remarkably good form and will certainly not judge this proverbial book by the cover.

Read more ››
published 22.01.2013 | Comments (52)

Found in 49 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 4

Comments: 118   Visited by: 1258 users
08.01.2013 - 02:20
Rating: 9
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Metal Invader on 07.01.2013 at 20:45
I ordered bundle(T-shirt and cd)for 19.99$ from USA(i think) so i will get it even LATER then 18.! Im always upside down!

I did want the t-shirt bundle, but I had to have the bonus track which is exclusive to the Japanese version... lol

I'll only get the album early if it's sent out before the release date. If it's sent out on the release date, I won't get it any earlier than the other Europeans.
08.01.2013 - 02:52
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.01.2013 at 02:20

I did want the t-shirt bundle, but I had to have the bonus track which is exclusive to the Japanese version... lol

Shirts are great.... but a bonus track is forever
08.01.2013 - 02:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by JÄY on 08.01.2013 at 02:52
Shirts are great.... but a bonus track is forever

Yep, and Helloween have traditionally made a habit of having awesome bonus tracks, which are usually better than some of the songs on the actual album.
08.01.2013 - 20:25
Metal Invader
Written by Angelic Storm on 08.01.2013 at 02:20

Written by Metal Invader on 07.01.2013 at 20:45
I ordered bundle(T-shirt and cd)for 19.99$ from USA(i think) so i will get it even LATER then 18.! Im always upside down!

I'll only get the album early if it's sent out before the release date. If it's sent out on the release date, I won't get it any earlier than the other Europeans.

Dont want to be negative but i dont think they will send it early cos if you get it before release date you can put it out for download(imo)
but i hope you will get it!;) (and share bonus track)lol
09.01.2013 - 11:11
DeathSlyzer
Ok, if it comes out the 16th in Japan, I hope it leaks then. Don't worry though. I will make sure to pick this up when it comes out, but I just want to hear this as soon as absolutely possible. I've listened to the samples now, and I gotta say: Way to freakin' reinvent yourself as a power metal band without falling into the prog trap that a lot of bands do when they want to try something new! Not that I have that much against prog metal, but it's great to see that something like this can happen still!

But again, I just really hope this leaks early!
----
I sold my soul to any fool who'd buy it!
What's it gonna take to make you riot!?
09.01.2013 - 12:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by DeathSlyzer on 09.01.2013 at 11:11

Ok, if it comes out the 16th in Japan, I hope it leaks then. Don't worry though. I will make sure to pick this up when it comes out, but I just want to hear this as soon as absolutely possible. I've listened to the samples now, and I gotta say: Way to freakin' reinvent yourself as a power metal band without falling into the prog trap that a lot of bands do when they want to try something new! Not that I have that much against prog metal, but it's great to see that something like this can happen still!

But again, I just really hope this leaks early!

Yep, it definitely comes out on the 16th in Japan. Both CD Japan (which is where I ordered my copy from) and Amazon Japan have the album's release date down as the 16th. As for leaks, I wouldn't have a problem with people downloading them if all, or even most, of the people who do so intended to buy the album when it's released. The problem is, most people who download early leaks of albums (and all illegal downloads in general) have no intention of buying the album, which is why the music industry, especially for more fringe genres like metal, is in such a dire state at the moment.

As for the prog thing, well, Helloween have had prog elements in their style for most of their career. Songs like Victim Of Fate, How Many Tears, Keeper Of The Seven Keys, then later through stuff like Mission Motherland, The Dark Ride, and Occasion Avenue, Helloween have always had dallies with the prog genre, without ever embracing it fully. But I think it is fair to say, their constant and successful reinventions of themselves, whilst never really deviating from the power metal template ("Chameleon" excluded) which they played a large role in pioneering, has helped them to remain at the top of the power metal pile all these years. They are still showing all the other power metal bands (now also including Kai Hansen's Gamma Ray, who have lost their way in recent years) how it should be done. I'm just hoping that "Straight Out Of Hell" continues the rich vein of form they've shown for the last few years. If "Burning Sun" and "Nabatea" are anything to go by though, this album will be another modern power metal classic.

I will download the album if it leaks, but I've already paid for my Japanese copy, so I can listen to it early with no guilt.
10.01.2013 - 10:32
DeathSlyzer
Yeah. I agree with you on this. Helloween does have a prog element here and there, but doesn't fall into that trap bands like Sonata Arctica and Hammerfall fell into. And that's something to really be proud of, I think.
----
15.01.2013 - 09:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've recieved an email from CD Japan saying that the album has been shipped out to me! So hopefully I will recieve it before the European release date.
15.01.2013 - 20:34
Metal Invader
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.01.2013 at 09:36

I've recieved an email from CD Japan saying that the album has been shipped out to me! So hopefully I will recieve it before the European release date.

Nice,hope you will enjoy it before us mine cd and t-shirt was send today..hope i will get this soon
15.01.2013 - 23:21
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Metal Invader on 15.01.2013 at 20:34
Nice,hope you will enjoy it before us mine cd and t-shirt was send today..hope i will get this soon

I seen the original version of this post before you edited it. "Another Shot Of Life" is not on the version of the cd I ordered, but I have that song already on the Burning Sun EP, so I don't mind. hehe

You'll probably get yours before I get mine... Japan is a long way away!
15.01.2013 - 23:34
Metal Invader
Written by Angelic Storm on 15.01.2013 at 23:21

Written by Metal Invader on 15.01.2013 at 20:34

I seen the original version of this post before you edited it. "Another Shot Of Life" is not on the version of the cd I ordered, but I have that song already on the Burning Sun EP, so I don't mind. hehe

You'll probably get yours before I get mine... Japan is a long way away!

Yea i see that on e-bay so i edit message but you always catch me in this re-editing
Well i will get mine(they wrote in e-mail) for approximately 10 work days..so i hope in 2 weeks but that also depends on my state postal service, which is not exactly fast so you
have a chance
16.01.2013 - 09:50
DeathSlyzer
I just cannot believe this album has still not leaked. What is happening to the world? It's the 16th today, and nobody has uploaded it still. I don't know if I can bare two more days of waiting. I cannot remember last time I was this hyped for an album. Somebody PLEASE leak this!
----
16.01.2013 - 09:55
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Metal Invader on 15.01.2013 at 23:34
Yea i see that on e-bay so i edit message but you always catch me in this re-editing
Well i will get mine(they wrote in e-mail) for approximately 10 work days..so i hope in 2 weeks but that also depends on my state postal service, which is not exactly fast so you
have a chance

I've been told it should arrive in 1-3 days, but I did pay extra for the premium shipping service. lol I can track the package, and last night it was in Shanghai, then a couple of hours ago, it was in New Delhi!
16.01.2013 - 10:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Well, today is the Japanese release date, and the Japanese Itunes store now has 1:30 samples of all the songs up.
16.01.2013 - 22:21
DeathSlyzer
It leaked! And fear not. The album is awesome! Really liked Make Fire Catch The Fly. Asshole was also much better than I expected. Far From The Stars was great, and probably Andi's best vocal performance on the whole album. So yeah, amazing record!
----
16.01.2013 - 23:51
Angelic Storm
Melodious
So the album has leaked... ah well, at least I have No Eternity to look forward to tomorrow. I heard a short sample of this song earlier, and it sounds like it's going to be an awesome one!

As for the regular album itself, it truly is great! The only weak song is "Live Now!", and even then, it's only because it feels unfinished. The verses only last about 10 seconds before going into the chorus... there's no sense of buildup at all, and as a result, comes off as more frustrating than anything else.

The verses in "World Of War" sound like they would be more at home on a Fear Factory album than a Helloween one, which is in wild contrast with the majestic, soaring chorus that is for me, already one of the best in Helloween's whole discography. This one is a real killer! "Years" is pure Weiki, though there is definitely a touch of melancholy mixed in with the happy Helloween sound in this one. A very poignant, and wonderful song. The title track shows again just what an underrated songwriter Markus is, with verses that steamroller over you, and a chorus that once again bores into your skull and won't leave! The final two tracks are simply Helloween at their absolute finest. "Make Fire Catch The Fly" features some twisted keyboards and synths, coupled with a crushing guitar attack, and a thundering chorus, which is both dark and uplifting.... a very difficult combo to pull off! "The Church Breaks Down" is absolutely captivating, with it's church organ lilting at different points in the song, combining with a stinging power metal barrage, and hypnotic verses. It's a very dynamic song with different moods and flavours throughout, and is a very captivating number!

"Asshole" is an interesting one to say the least! The main riff is a groove monster, whilst the chorus is pop-metal... it's a strange combination, but actually works well with the abrasive if slightly immature lyric it accompanies. The chorus is definitely bult for singing along too!

Also, the album version of "Nabataea" contains over a minute of extra music which was cut from the single version, and it's even more awesome in this incarnation. A brilliant song just got even better!

I'll need to listen to this a bit more to figure exactly where it stands against their other albums, but my first impressions are very positive, and this is an album with a lot of swagger, attitude, and dynamic bluster, making it a very exciting listen overall!
17.01.2013 - 11:09
DeathSlyzer
Written by Angelic Storm on 16.01.2013 at 23:51

So the album has leaked... ah well, at least I have No Eternity to look forward to tomorrow. I heard a short sample of this song earlier, and it sounds like it's going to be an awesome one!

As for the regular album itself, it truly is great! The only weak song is "Live Now!", and even then, it's only because it feels unfinished. The verses only last about 10 seconds before going into the chorus... there's no sense of buildup at all, and as a result, comes off as more frustrating than anything else.

The verses in "World Of War" sound like they would be more at home on a Fear Factory album than a Helloween one, which is in wild contrast with the majestic, soaring chorus that is for me, already one of the best in Helloween's whole discography. This one is a real killer! "Years" is pure Weiki, though there is definitely a touch of melancholy mixed in with the happy Helloween sound in this one. A very poignant, and wonderful song. The title track shows again just what an underrated songwriter Markus is, with verses that steamroller over you, and a chorus that once again bores into your skull and won't leave! The final two tracks are simply Helloween at their absolute finest. "Make Fire Catch The Fly" features some twisted keyboards and synths, coupled with a crushing guitar attack, and a thundering chorus, which is both dark and uplifting.... a very difficult combo to pull off! "The Church Breaks Down" is absolutely captivating, with it's church organ lilting at different points in the song, combining with a stinging power metal barrage, and hypnotic verses. It's a very dynamic song with different moods and flavours throughout, and is a very captivating number!

"Asshole" is an interesting one to say the least! The main riff is a groove monster, whilst the chorus is pop-metal... it's a strange combination, but actually works well with the abrasive if slightly immature lyric it accompanies. The chorus is definitely bult for singing along too!

Also, the album version of "Nabataea" contains over a minute of extra music which was cut from the single version, and it's even more awesome in this incarnation. A brilliant song just got even better!

I'll need to listen to this a bit more to figure exactly where it stands against their other albums, but my first impressions are very positive, and this is an album with a lot of swagger, attitude, and dynamic bluster, making it a very exciting listen overall!

Very well said. I agree with pretty much everything you said. I am currently having a great time listening to this for at least the third time now!
----
17.01.2013 - 16:56
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've just recieved my limited edition Japanese cd! It came with a Helloween bandana, and a Straight Out Of Hell calendar... very nice bonuses I wasn't expecting! The packaging is awesome too.
17.01.2013 - 20:05
Metal Invader
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.01.2013 at 16:56

I've just recieved my limited edition Japanese cd! It came with a Helloween bandana, and a Straight Out Of Hell calendar... very nice bonuses I wasn't expecting! The packaging is awesome too.

Will you resell it..give you 10$ extra,kidding
17.01.2013 - 20:22
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Metal Invader on 17.01.2013 at 20:05

Hehee I was sad at missing out on the t-shirt bundle, but the bandana and calendar makes up for that. xD

I just updated the album's wiki page, as they had the wrong writers' credits for "Live Now!" and "Church Breaks Down". Both Sascha and Andi wrote the former, whilst Sascha wrote the latter song on his own. No surprises that "No Eternity" was written by the king of bonus tracks, Markus!
17.01.2013 - 21:23
Metal Invader
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.01.2013 at 20:22

Written by Metal Invader on 17.01.2013 at 20:05

Hehee I was sad at missing out on the t-shirt bundle, but the bandana and calendar makes up for that. xD

I just updated the album's wiki page, as they had the wrong writers' credits for "Live Now!" and "Church Breaks Down". Both Sascha and Andi wrote the former, whilst Sascha wrote the latter song on his own. No surprises that "No Eternity" was written by the king of bonus tracks, Markus!

haha..if only i knew before for calendar and bandana
So Markus wrote No Eternity..what is it like?
I have just two remarks for this album 1.Live Now(song for kids (imo) ) and 2.Wanna Be God(poor dedication for legendary Freddie Mercury)
Others are just great and Andis singing is great
17.01.2013 - 22:49
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Metal Invader on 17.01.2013 at 21:23

Wanna Be God(poor dedication for legendary Freddie Mercury)

How is this song a dedication to Freddie? The lyrics seem to depict a corrupt ruler who wants to be god. Did you read the Freddie thing somewhere?
17.01.2013 - 22:54
Metal Invader
Written by JÄY on 17.01.2013 at 22:49

How is this song a dedication to Freddie? The lyrics seem to depict a corrupt ruler who wants to be god. Did you read the Freddie thing somewhere?

You have track by track explanation on helloween facebook paige!
sorry if i misuderstood that
17.01.2013 - 23:06
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Metal Invader on 17.01.2013 at 22:54

I sure hope it's not a dedication to Freddie....that'd be sad
17.01.2013 - 23:11
Metal Invader
Written by JÄY on 17.01.2013 at 23:06

Written by Metal Invader on 17.01.2013 at 22:54

I sure hope it's not a dedication to Freddie....that'd be sad

Well i checked again 2 minutes ago and Andi said in this explanation that it is..so i agree with you!
17.01.2013 - 23:14
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I have just two remarks for this album 1.Live Now(song for kids (imo) ) and 2.Wanna Be God(poor dedication for legendary Freddie Mercury)

The outer packaging is embossed too, so the artwork is popped up on the cover.

Most times when I've bought CDs with bonus tracks on them, there is no info about the bonus song/s in the booklet, and no lyrics for it either. But "No Eternity" is just treated like a regular song in the booklet, with lyrics, writing credits (to Markus), and it's own pumpkin illustration (A skull and crossbones with a skull shaped pumpkin!).

As for what the song is like, it definitely should have been on the album itself rather than a bonus track. It's a driving, melodic song, with a huge atmospheric chorus which is classic Helloween. How Live Now! made the album and this song didn't, is beyond me. "No Eternity" is a great song for sure!
17.01.2013 - 23:20
Metal Invader
Written by Angelic Storm on 17.01.2013 at 23:14

Most times when I've bought CDs with bonus tracks on them, there is no info about the bonus song/s in the booklet, and no lyrics for it either. But "No Eternity" is just treated like a regular song in the booklet, with lyrics, writing credits (to Markus), and it's own pumpkin illustration (A skull and crossbones with a skull shaped pumpkin!).

As for what the song is like, it definitely should have been on the album itself rather than a bonus track. It's a driving, melodic song, with a huge atmospheric chorus which is classic Helloween. How Live Now! made the album and this song didn't, is beyond me. "No Eternity" is a great song for sure!

Ah so like most of their bonuses..well i will have to download this song for shure!(if only some one i know have it and put it for download soon,blinking with my eyes);)
17.01.2013 - 23:48
JÄY
Metal slave
Written by Metal Invader on 17.01.2013 at 23:20

Ah so like most of their bonuses..well i will have to download this song for shure!(if only some one i know have it and put it for download soon,blinking with my eyes);)

Also blinking eyes
17.01.2013 - 23:55
Metal Invader
Written by JÄY on 17.01.2013 at 23:48

Written by Metal Invader on 17.01.2013 at 23:20

Also blinking eyes

You should check a doctor for this Jay lol kidding
I Think we need to buy a case of beer cos imo blinking dosent help
18.01.2013 - 13:53
Rating: 8
Patrick.
The album sounds fantastic so far! (I'm abusing the play-button on YouTube at the moment, but it won't take long for it to end up in the mail-box! )

Although I don't think it's neither for better or for worse, It's noticeably more immediate and direct in comparison to its predecessor. Slightly more catchy as well. Only time will tell wether or not this means the album is going to lack longevity in the long run, as many instant hitters seem to do. Nevertheless it shall be a pure pleasure getting to know this album and spend time with it!

My favorite songs in this first-impression are "Nabateae" (This one has everything), "World Of War" (heavy, fast, insane chorus), "Burning Sun" (vocally, the album's "Painkiller" hehe), "Hold Me In Your Arms" (breathtaking ballad and maybe their finest ever), "Straight Out Of Hell" (great and worthy title-track), "Make Fire Catch The Fly" and "Church Breaks Down" (I fully agree with Angelic Storm, these last two songs show Helloween at their finest. A massive way to end the album).

Hits total: 35713 | This month: 105