4 users:
Band: Wreck Of The Hesperus
Album: Light Rotting Out
Release date: 2011

01. Kill Monument
02. Cess Pit People
03. Holy Rheum - I) Night Of Negative Stars
04. Holy Rheum - II) Hologram Law

Whenever an Irish act crosses my way and I get overwhelmed from the very first spin, it becomes a lifetime relationship; alongside Primordial and Mourning Beloveth the triangle is complete with Wreck Of The Hesperus.

The tentacles of torment have been awakened from their slumber in the deepest sewers and are slowly marching underneath the city towards its borders, to surround it in one take all of a sudden. Wreck Of The Hesperus, five years after their devastating debut work (The Sunken Threshold), present their second attempt, Light Rotting Out. The title says it all and the obscure skeletal/humane duality complex in the cover artwork hides even more. Are you ready for swimming lessons in the murky waters of sludge-flirting funeral doom?

So, the first highlight that comes to the surface while listening to the album is its production, it' s cleaner this time, something that helps the instruments unfold everything they want to present in the most appropriate way, alone and in unity at the same time. Beware though, I'm not referring to a high class crystal clear production, it would ruin the ambiance anyway. The walls of sound are always there to blur in a surrounding way the overall outcome without causing harm to the band's visions. The album is dry like the desert, unfriendly and ravenous like the sewers, sterile like a future picture from the womb of the earth.

And then all hell breaks loose with the slowly expanding riffing as it blends with floating minimal anti-melodies while the echoing percussion embraces the intense drumming and the colossal bass lines. This is what I call an appropriate environment for such hateful boiling screams to blossom like peril. During the second part/half of the third track, "The Holy Rheum", some otherworldly dissonant saxophone surgeries partake in the overall madness. And who couldn't be missing? The "Doom Over The World" preacher, Albert Witchfinder of Reverend Bizarre, Spiritus Mortis etc, lending to Wreck Of The Hesperus a clean interpretation during "The Holy Rheum".

"Portals in shadows, everyone a little darker, portals in shadows, everyone a little deeper," the choice is always yours.

PS: The A5 digi-pack owns.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 17.08.2011 by "It is myself I have never met, whose face is pasted on the underside of my mind."

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 171 users
17.08.2011 - 20:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Nasty album this, in the best possible way. It kinda meanders a little bit at times but the prevailing filth is what's important here.
18.08.2011 - 00:21
strade

Hideous.
----
My lo-fi synth project: http://luciddreamer.bandcamp.com
18.08.2011 - 02:30
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
"The tentacles of torment have been awakened from their slumber in the deepest sewers and are slowly marching underneath the city towards its borders, to surround it in one take all of a sudden."

What do you mean by this exactly?
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
18.08.2011 - 02:32
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Chainer on 18.08.2011 at 02:30

"The tentacles of torment have been awakened from their slumber in the deepest sewers and are slowly marching underneath the city towards its borders, to surround it in one take all of a sudden."

What do you mean by this exactly?

Tentacles = Wreck Of The Hesperus' music. At least that's how I look at it.
18.08.2011 - 02:42
KwonVerge
Odysseus
^
Especially if you have already seen the cover of their debut.
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
18.08.2011 - 02:44
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I have now, nice throwback there ;]
18.08.2011 - 02:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by KwonVerge on 18.08.2011 at 02:42

^
Especially if you have already seen the cover of their debut.

The debut actually has two different covers [smartass mode on]The cd one is different to the vinyl one [/smartass mode off] And by debut I guess you're referring to The Sunken Threshold and not to Eulogy for the Sewer Dwellers
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.08.2011 - 02:53
KwonVerge
Odysseus
I haven't seen the vinyl one, i own the CD Of course i'm referring to the sunken threshold, i always consider as a debut the first full-length, not EPs, EPs before full-length are like prophets or something to me
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

...And the whiskey and wine entered our veins when blood was too weak to carry on.
18.08.2011 - 02:56
KwonVerge
Odysseus
Just googled it, some awesome work there!
----
Dec. 30, 1334.

18.08.2011 - 16:39
Merchant of Doom

If I have to be honest, I quite hated this. It's just too dissonant for me. It's a very good in its subgenre, but not really my cup of tea... don't tell anybody, though...
19.08.2011 - 19:05
ravendeath

Great review Der, I'm not missing this one... sounds promising!

Hits total: 6549 | This month: 11