11. Cursed
12. The Nomad's Crown
13. When The Mirror Cracks [Limited digipak bonus]
14. The Sailor And The Sea [Limited digipak bonus]

The best Symphonic Metal album of 2012

Staff review by
Ag Fox
Rating:
Do you miss the time when Nightwish was just being? Nightwish instead of Night-Pirates-Of-The-Caribbean-Disney-Wish? Then there are those that still wish Tarja hadn't left in the first place. With all due respect to Tuomas Holopainen's current expansive palette of musical ideas, I do think Nightwish's back catalogue is a major reason why they have such a massive following.

Read more ››
published 06.04.2012 | Comments (19)

Found in 35 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 2

Comments: 60   [ 4 ignored ]   Visited by: 1116 users
12.03.2012 - 21:02
Rating: 9
mariano

Written by AngelofDeth on 09.03.2012 at 09:50

if Nightwish never existed id give this album a 10 no doubt, but theres no way i could do that considering its lack of originality.

Prolly a solid 8...maybe 9... we'll see.

I don't think Nightwish owns the style, maybe they were the only ones able to do it right (at least for a while) but they've abandoned the symphonic/operatic metal several years ago anyway.

So I don't see it as a lack of originality but actually as rediscovering something we had lost.
12.03.2012 - 22:19
Rating: 8
AngelofDeth
Cyborg Raptor
Written by mariano on 12.03.2012 at 21:02

I don't think Nightwish owns the style, maybe they were the only ones able to do it right (at least for a while) but they've abandoned the symphonic/operatic metal several years ago anyway.

So I don't see it as a lack of originality but actually as rediscovering something we had lost.

Well of course they dont own the entire genre of Symphonic Metal. And there is many bands that put an original spin on the genre or bring their personality and make it their own/ The problem is Xandria is taking Nightwish's personal twist on the genre, rather than their own. Which is unoriginal in my opinion.

Im not saying its a bad album, i like it. And im not saying any band that makes symphonic metal is unoriginal cuz there are many symphonic acts that are original and distinguished from Nightwish. But i dont think Xandria put enough of their own personalities into the album to make it original.
----
pewpew.. gotcha
14.03.2012 - 20:41
Rating: 7
knightlightning

It's ok... but it lacks something in the compositions imo...
15.03.2012 - 14:32
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Very good album and solid in terms of instrumentation, sampling and especially vocals. I'd say this looks like the best symphonic metal album of the year as Epica have fucked up and there are no much other competitors.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
16.03.2012 - 09:40
Fred

Since I can't post the review here till 90 days after the release date, here you go:
http://www.freakshowlb.com/freakshow/reviews/xandria-neverworld-s-end

Feel free to leave your comments!
----
Fred
16.03.2012 - 15:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Fred on 16.03.2012 at 09:40
Since I can't post the review here till 90 days after the release date...

And since it's published on another site you won't be able to submit it here.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
17.03.2012 - 08:29
Fred

Haha too bad but at least we can discuss it here

Written by Troy Killjoy on 16.03.2012 at 15:18

Written by Fred on 16.03.2012 at 09:40
Since I can't post the review here till 90 days after the release date...

And since it's published on another site you won't be able to submit it here.
----
Fred
21.03.2012 - 14:50
Rating: 10
Vonpire

Well I will dare to say that this is better than anything Nightwish ever did, imo. Really fantastic album, the more I listen the more I like it. Congrats Xandria and specially Manuela for the awesome vocals.
----
Beware the Shadows of Dusk
21.03.2012 - 19:22
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I would have never imagined that a already well-known band that releases an album imitating old Nightwish's style after a 15 year old career would be so praised.
I thought lately that most listeners nowadays were keen on the bands evolving and changing their sound, maybe I was wrong.
23.03.2012 - 13:05
Vonpire

Written by Unhealer on 21.03.2012 at 19:22

I would have never imagined that a already well-known band that releases an album imitating old Nightwish's style after a 15 year old career would be so praised.
I thought lately that most listeners nowadays were keen on the bands evolving and changing their sound, maybe I was wrong.

This is better than Nightwish, although I agree that there are many similarities (specially on the vocals). There are many more and better metal riffs and aggression on some tracks (take Soulcrusher as an example).

This is one of those addicted albums that the more you listen the more you love it. Give it some spins.
----
23.03.2012 - 16:31
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Vonpire on 23.03.2012 at 13:05

This is better than Nightwish, although I agree that there are many similarities (specially on the vocals). There are many more and better metal riffs and aggression on some tracks (take Soulcrusher as an example).
This is one of those addicted albums that the more you listen the more you love it. Give it some spins.

I gave it two spins before saying this.
It sounds like a good record, but I feel somewhat "guilty" listening to them when every minute I am reminded of old Nightwish. There's even a song that sounds like You Give Love A Bad Name/Where Were You Last Night.
And in my opinion it is not better than old Nightwish; at least not better than Oceanborn or Wishmaster.

I won't rate this record, at least for now.
23.03.2012 - 16:55
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Vonpire on 23.03.2012 at 13:05

I have to agree, it has excellent replay value for me.
25.03.2012 - 22:27
Anastasia

I've been looking for a band with old Nightwish sound and i never thought of Xandria as it used to be with Lisa
Valentine was the first song i heard off Neverworld's End, and i was surprised. It sounds exactly like Wishmaster I like how they keep the theme and style throughout the whole album. Forevermore and Call Of The Wind sound awesome!
Love Manuela's voice and she also seems to be a nice person to work with.
I rate it 8, because they've just started with this style, it's not easy to sound like old Nightwish, the sound and the melodies still aren't polished to their finest. But i'm certainly looking forward to their gigs and upcoming albums.
27.03.2012 - 17:40
Vonpire

F*** ! I can't stop listening to this. xD
----
02.04.2012 - 14:13
Draugen

I have not heard that much of Xandria's earlier work but the songs I did have a go at I remember as rather generic. As so many other bands they quickly got lost and forgotten in the endless sea that is female fronted "gothic metal". (Ugh! I despise that labelling).

So here I was expecting another forgettable snorefest, but darn was I wrong! This really is early Nightwish reborn and seeing as that was what got me into metal in the first place I can't help but to embrace Xandria's new direction. Despite the complete lack of originality the album was still thoroughly enjoyable. The majority of the songs felt varied enough and the vocals are top-notch.

Now I just hope that the band tries to evolve this new foundation and bring some original stuff into the mix. If so, I am convinced that it can go from good to great.
29.04.2012 - 22:10
The Melting Snow

Great album. I never paid much attention to Xandria ever before.

i really missed old Nightwish, now I wont have to anymore not as good as old Nightwish of course,except for the solos. really impressed me
05.05.2012 - 17:24
Constantine

Sounds exactly same like old Nightwish, not my cup of tea though.
22.05.2012 - 19:22
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
Written by Constantine on 05.05.2012 at 17:24

Sounds exactly same like old Nightwish, not my cup of tea though.

Sounds nothing like old Nigthwish. Old Nightwish combined symphonic elements with good power metal riffs, Xandria uses symphonic elements to disguise mediocre songwriting.
22.05.2012 - 20:19
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Guest on 22.05.2012 at 19:22

Old Nightwish combined symphonic elements with good power metal riffs, Xandria uses symphonic elements to disguise mediocre songwriting.

You won a box full of puppies for that comment.
23.05.2012 - 22:20
The Galactician

My first impression: This is soooooo corny.
My second impression: Eh, it was worth another try.
My third impression: Get out of my mind you siren!
My fourth impression: Time to press play again.
24.05.2012 - 15:39
Vonpire

Written by The Galactician on 23.05.2012 at 22:20

My first impression: This is soooooo corny.
My second impression: Eh, it was worth another try.
My third impression: Get out of my mind you siren!
My fourth impression: Time to press play again.

Yup , this album has that effect
----
20.06.2012 - 05:20
Rating: 6
Lyphiria

What a boring record. Have heard all the elements used a hundred times before on other symphonic metal bands. Originality: Zero.
26.06.2012 - 17:01
Vonpire

----
13.11.2012 - 15:37
Spacerunner

Best since "Wishmaster".
15.11.2012 - 22:25
Rating: 7
R Lewis

Recently I haven't used "9" many times, but this totally deserves it. Great
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
03.03.2013 - 20:21
majstora

Great Manuela! 10!
13.03.2013 - 14:26
Rhiannon
Account deleted
The best album of 2012 for me. I love this new sound, which combines the best aspects of Nightwish: the operatic vocals of the Tarja-era and the epic symphonics of the Anette-era. Too bad it's made by another band
But seriously, almost every song is great on this album, even the ballads. My favourites are The Lost Elysion, Call Of The Wind, The Nomad's Crown. Manuela is great, her voice is not as unique and beautiful as Lisa's, but fits well with their new sound.
And they are good live too, I saw them opening for Epica and they were so much better than them
27.03.2013 - 23:23
serega25

The old Nightwish sound is back in this Xandria album... Good album
28.03.2013 - 13:30
Metal_Elle

For me, this album is the best symphonic album of the last year.
03.02.2015 - 14:15
Litvin

Heh,missed this one baause I was give up on Xandira a while ago.
Find it out indecently and wasn't expected at all that I can hear some kind of Wishmaster/Oceanburn remake from someone else rather than Nightwish.

That is really good.
Missing old Nightwish.

Hits total: 25396 | This month: 38