Metal Storm logo
Video Games You're Playing

Original post

Posted by IronAngel, 26.01.2015 - 15:35
I never got around to Hearts of Iron since Europa Universalis IV and especially Crusader Kings II are so good. Man, CK2 is maybe the best strategy game ever and certainly the best medieval videogame experience.

The learning curve in those games, at least, isn't so bad once you figure out what you're supposed to be doing. I figured them out pretty good, and I'm the kind of person who gave up on the X series after one tutorial (and I know I would love it if I just made the effort to learn it). Unlike most strategy games, they're not so focused on infrastructure and army building. EU seems to be about systematic expansion and diplomacy (played it less) and CK2 all about consolidating rule for the future.
22.02.2022 - 10:44
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Deadsoulman on 22.02.2022 at 09:14

Written by F3ynman2000 on 22.02.2022 at 00:15

I've ordered Horizon Forbidden West for PS4 on Amazon. It should arrive later this week. I've been avoiding spoilers for the story, and I've seen that people say the game runs perfectly fine on the PS4 as well

It does. I'm a couple of hours in and I've only encountered some minor clipping and one respawn on the other side of a locked door I hadn't unlocked before. Nothing game-breaking.

Nice. How many GB of space does it take up on your PS4?
22.02.2022 - 14:04
Deadsoulman

Written by F3ynman2000 on 22.02.2022 at 10:44

I've ordered Horizon Forbidden West for PS4 on Amazon. It should arrive later this week. I've been avoiding spoilers for the story, and I've seen that people say the game runs perfectly fine on the PS4 as well

It does. I'm a couple of hours in and I've only encountered some minor clipping and one respawn on the other side of a locked door I hadn't unlocked before. Nothing game-breaking.

Around 90 GB. Not too bad, considering it's much less than RDR2 or Death Stranding for instance.
22.02.2022 - 15:29
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Deadsoulman on 22.02.2022 at 14:04

Written by F3ynman2000 on 22.02.2022 at 10:44

Around 90 GB. Not too bad, considering it's much less than RDR2 or Death Stranding for instance.

Yeah. Still a lot. I think I have 100 GB of free space still. But I'll delete one or two games that I don't play anymore just to be sure. Thanks for the info!
23.02.2022 - 11:26
ylside

Having a lot of fun with Vampire Survivors... good and simple
02.03.2022 - 21:53
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro

I'm a couple of hours in and I've only encountered some minor clipping and one respawn on the other side of a locked door I hadn't unlocked before. Nothing game-breaking.

I've now started playing Horizon Forbidden West! It's great!

The only issue is texture pop in usually in cut scene backgrounds and landmarks in the distance. That's annoying.

But gameplay-wise it's smooth so far. I'm impressed with all the extra additions and improvements they've made: more elaborate/realistic conversation scenes; obviously new machines, but also new weapons and resources; melee combos to unlock; a board game in a tavern; diving underwater; more climbing possibilities; fighting pits; expansive skill-tree... and I'm only in the first corner of the map (at Chainscrape)! I can't wait to explore so much more and I hope the story stays exciting
22.03.2022 - 13:04
nonZero

Now: Bloodborne
Next: The Witcher 3, Red Dead Redemption 2
Later: Horizon: Zero Dawn, Elden Ring, Dark Souls 1-3
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
24.03.2022 - 17:22
ylside

Written by nonZero on 22.03.2022 at 13:04

Might be quite demanding to do RDR2 after Witcher 3, in terms of patience and long run attention, unless you're used to it !
24.03.2022 - 17:49
nonZero

Written by ylside on 24.03.2022 at 17:22

Might be quite demanding to do RDR2 after Witcher 3, in terms of patience and long run attention, unless you're used to it !

I normally take around 3 months to complete each game, so focusing on one for while isn't a problem for me. I prefer going all-in each time.
----
24.03.2022 - 19:14
RaduP
CertifiedHipster

Playing The Witcher 2 right now. It will be a bit confusing following the story if you start straight with the 3rd one, but not that much. Much preferred than having to read the books and play the first two games, though I do recommend eventually doing that as well.
----
Do you think if the heart keeps on shrinking
One day there will be no heart at all?
28.03.2022 - 22:36
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
... i now have a PS5. and a crippling addiction to Elden Ring.

literally ported over a bunch of upgrayedded games - Guardians of the Galaxy, Tony Hawk 1+2, Resi Village, Ghost of Tsushima, Metro Exodus (only beaten Ghosts of those, base game only, not expansion). Cyberpunk 2077 is actually fun and playable now, not a Robitussin-inspired fever dream.

I think I've logged maybe 2 hours into anything not Elden Ring. That game is just mindblowing fun.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
01.04.2022 - 04:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Best thing about that game and new layout/style is whenever I get wafflestomped repeatedly by a boss or two and am stuck, I always seem to find somewhere else to be, explore and improve.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
14.04.2022 - 01:12
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Aaaand, I'm addicted to osu! once again...
Why do I do this to myself?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
25.04.2022 - 12:04
ylside

Castlevania Aria of Sorrow, fantastic game... Just finished it last week.
I should have played this years ago

Now onto Super Metroid or Castlevania Symphony of the Night maybe...
25.04.2022 - 15:50
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by ylside on 25.04.2022 at 12:04

Where are you playing it? On an emulator?
29.04.2022 - 23:52
ylside

Written by F3ynman2000 on 25.04.2022 at 15:50

Written by ylside on 25.04.2022 at 12:04

Where are you playing it? On an emulator?

Yes, GBA emulator.
But I just noticed it's actually released on Steam as part of "Castlevania Advance Collection" - so I could have played it directly.. I didn't look well enough.
26.05.2022 - 23:09
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
So I "just" (actually this was like three weeks ago) discovered that there is a yume nikki online project, not only featuring yume nikki online, but some fan games as well, and among all of them... The great and almighty Yume 2kki is there. So yep... Now I'm in a rabbit hole I cannot get out anymore

https://ynoproject.net/
----
- Reimu Hakurei
28.05.2022 - 09:14
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Been playing Skyrim recently. Remember those 3 Thalmor that hang around in the Markarth's Jarl's place? They're just in their undies now. Pickpocketing can be fun.
Sneak + illusion is also fun.
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
30.06.2022 - 22:11
Joppe
Steelemeister
Arma Cold War Assault AKA Operation Flashpoint. Once a pioneer game in the fps simulation category, in early 2000s this was really ahead of its time I think, it had good challenge on old PCs that would run slow with lower visibility and worse graphics; nowadays it's quite easier with better performance hardware. Game had good co-op too with online missions and plenty of mods. The only thing that I'm not really a fan of here is the polarisation of east and west and portraying soviets as enemies and NATO as the good guys; I guess they had to come up with some kind of setting that fits our world, but I think it's a cliché move and it strengthens this illusion of enmity between different cultures. Mechanically the game has some major bugs -- like I hear ARMAs usually do -- some that are really funny like when you get the "mission complete" text while getting killed right at the end and have to restart
----
My vision is augmented
03.07.2022 - 21:28
Metal Rasputin

Haha, Operation Flashpoint was the tits back in the day. The mission editor was always the best part of the game, especially with some mods and customized content. We used to download nuclear bomb mod and just casually blow massive armies to smithereens, then after the apocalypse go see all the damage it did. It might sound little childish these days, but it was so much fun back then. There was nothing else like it.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
04.07.2022 - 09:20
IronAngel

I got Cities: Skylines with all the expansions save Airports from a Humble Bundle recently, and was hooked. Especially with mods, it is a really top-notch city builder, reminds me of those completely engrossing gaming experiences of childhood.

Unfortunately, my CPU of all things can't handle it, and once I hit like 30k citizens (which I imagine is sort of "midgame" for a city) the game slows down to a crawl. Turning up the speed does nothing, because the CPU can't calculate all the traffic any faster. If I had good job prospects at the moment, I'd probably get a whole new rig just to make it work.
05.07.2022 - 14:43
ylside

Written by IronAngel on 04.07.2022 at 09:20

I got Cities: Skylines with all the expansions save Airports from a Humble Bundle recently, and was hooked. Especially with mods, it is a really top-notch city builder, reminds me of those completely engrossing gaming experiences of childhood.

Unfortunately, my CPU of all things can't handle it, and once I hit like 30k citizens (which I imagine is sort of "midgame" for a city) the game slows down to a crawl. Turning up the speed does nothing, because the CPU can't calculate all the traffic any faster. If I had good job prospects at the moment, I'd probably get a whole new rig just to make it work.

Have you tried by any chance a game called Infra ? I really liked it, if you like walking sims that is, but this one is quite special
05.07.2022 - 18:53
IronAngel

Written by ylside on 05.07.2022 at 14:43

Have you tried by any chance a game called Infra ? I really liked it, if you like walking sims that is, but this one is quite special

Had not even heard of it, but seems interesting. I added it to my wishlist and will consider what to buy from the Steam summer sale tomorrow. So many ideas.
06.08.2022 - 04:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Finally got my Elden Ring platinum, doing some NG+ but migrating on to Demons'ss's's' Souls and, thanks PS+, Yakuza: Like A Dragon.

Also playing Tony Hawk Pro Skater remastered... though listening to the Dead Kennedys' Police Truck on the sound track reminds me of the MAD TV sketch about The Sopranos on US network TV.

----

07.08.2022 - 14:49
Metren
Dreadrealm
Playing Ys: The Oath In Felghana. One of the best action games I've ever played. It never becomes boring or overwhelming, even the most difficult boss fights are too much fun to become frustrating. I've played three Ys games before (Ys I and II Chronicles, Ys VIII: Lacrimosa Of Dana) and this is better than all those combined, even though I love the other games too.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
10.08.2022 - 20:35
IronAngel

Written by Guest on 07.08.2022 at 22:17

Playing Pillars of Eternity right now. I like the cRPG genre but not with active-pause combat. Never bothered with getting into Baldur's Gate since the first game is awfully dated, and I don't like skipping games in the franchise. PoE is very inspired by d&d, but it's systems are made for the sake of the game, so Obsidian has very much freedom with it. It's very accessible, but still very challenging game. The main plot is very interesting unlike in many other rpg titles. Im already halfway through, but it's kind of game which does not respect your time, so you spend a lot of hours reading text boxes and dialogues. I'll definitely play PoE2/Tyranny/Baldur's Gate after finishing this.

Yeah I feel the same way about PoE's problems: it's way too verbose for verbosity's sake. So much unnecessary exposition and clearly the writers were too infatuated with their world. (Like, they made up a fictional language that's pretty much recognizably a Romance language, you can easily understand the words by their context, and still they offer you a tooltip to translate it every time. Sheesh, immersion.) I also really disliked the combat, it's not visually clear enough and pausing to give commands is such a chore. I much prefer turn-based RPGs, so often I just let fights run on with AI in control, controlling maybe the mage or PC every now and then. And one more thing: there's WAY too much combat, it just drags on for no reason, mob after mob.

Still, it was interesting enough to make me play Deadfire too. Actually doing that right now. It looks like it's going to be too long, too, but so far it feels better. The world and pacing, and managing the shiop as your mobile base of operations is more fun than the fortress. There's also a turn-based mode, which I was initially lured by, but then I read that since the game was made with RTwP in mind, it makes the game even longer since there's so much combat that's slowed down.

Tyranny was shorter and more focused, I think. But for RTwP cRPGs, the real king for me (apart from Planescape:Torment if it counts) is Neverwinter Nights 2: Mask of the Betrayer. It's an expansion, basically standalone although the base game is referenced, so it's not too long. Just brilliant storytelling, great cast of characters, and the combat can probably be handled real-time just controlling your PC - or at least you don't have to rely on pausing so much.
10.08.2022 - 22:45
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
5 years late but I finally bought the BOTW dlcs and they are very good, I'm having a real blast with them.
Also bought the mario kart dlc and I have to say that wave 2 was really really good. It's already a good thing to have new content in this game but when some of the tracks are as good as Waluigi Pinball, Snow Land or Kalimari Desert, it really makes me hopeful as to what the next 32 tracks will be. I'm still not over how damn enormous this dlc is, and it makes me insanely happy because goddamn do I love this game.
11.08.2022 - 12:38
nonZero

This year I've completed:
• Ghost of Tsushima (9.1/10)
• Spider-Man (2018) (9.0/10)
• Hitman 3 (8.6/10)
• Resident Evil 2 (Remake) (9.2/10)
• The Last of Us: Part 2 (9.6/10)
• Dark Souls (9.5/10)
• Bloodborne (9.9/10)
• Jedi: Fallen Order (8.7/10)
• Dark Souls III (9.6/10)
• Hollow Knight (9.8/10)
----
19.08.2022 - 02:23
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Finally got to continue my playthrough of Horizon: Forbidden West after months-long break due to too much homework. Now I've finally gotten to the point in the game where you can fly on one of the pterodactyl machines! I had expected that one can only fly for a limited time to not make it overpowered - but nope! - you can fly across the entire beautiful world! Amazing!
07.09.2022 - 16:21
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
VA 11 Hall - A

This game is something else. Basically you are a bartender and just sit and chill, it's more like watching a movie, really.
The story is too engaging tho, it sucks you in. Honestly it's been a while since a game last managed to make me so invested like that. Every time I'm not playing I want to know what happens next.

Also the soundtrack! Gosh, the soundtrack.
----
- Reimu Hakurei
10.09.2022 - 04:21
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Written by Karlabos on 07.09.2022 at 16:21

VA 11 Hall - A

This game is something else. Basically you are a bartender and just sit and chill, it's more like watching a movie, really.
The story is too engaging tho, it sucks you in. Honestly it's been a while since a game last managed to make me so invested like that. Every time I'm not playing I want to know what happens next.

Also the soundtrack! Gosh, the soundtrack.

Aand fiished. What a masterpiece.

And now for the dreadful feeling of finishing a piece of media that was too good and having that void of not having it anymore. There should be a word for this.
----
- Reimu Hakurei