Video Games You're Playing

Original post

Posted by Nucky, 26.01.2015 - 22:09
Major League Baseball 2012..
25.08.2023 - 17:57
Metren
Dreadrealm
Finished Baldur’s Gate III.

I feel compelled to kneel before the old gaming gods and the new and thank them for Larian Studios and this game. Yeah, clearly content was cut or left for an upgraded edition. There were many bugs, and the companions didn’t have stories as long as those in Dragon Age games, but I just don’t care. For every minor thing to complain about, I found 20 things to appreciate. For every slightly bigger thing to complain about, I experienced several unforgettable fun and inspiring moments. Using the environment to win a battle. Finishing a quest that is insanely satisfying. Being charmed and surprised (no, not charmed or surprised like that LEL) by a story point or character interaction. Reaching Baldur’s Gate. Experiencing characters, organizations and situations with applicability to real life without it being an obvious and boring allegory.

I can not in good conscience give the game a perfect score. It’s a 9.5/10 in the enjoyment department and a 9/10 if I’m trying to be objective. Not a 10/10 (yet). But I can in good conscience recommend this game to anyone and everyone with even the slightest interest in RPGs or DnD.

Larian did it. They made a worthy third game in the Baldur’s Gate series. I didn’t believe they could. I feel blessed to have been proven wrong. I’ll be buying the complete or extended or whatever edition once it’s out just to support them.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
02.09.2023 - 07:50
24emd
Theory Snob
Been playing a really niche game called Exo One - Very atmospheric and visually stunning, with a puzzling storyline that seems non-linear. I've played it about 5 times whenever I get the itch for it, taking only a couple hours to complete. Between the visuals, the relaxing nature, the mysterious storyline, and the otherworldly music, it's a perfect game for me. 10/10.
----
"I am too stupid to be human, and I lack common sense." - Proverbs 30:2
"Music? Well, it's just entertainment, folks!" - Devin Townsend

Best 2024 Albums
04.09.2023 - 02:29
Guib
Thrash Talker
Started Starfield yesterday and I'm happy to say Bethesda's back in full force. What a great game so far, I'm having a blast.
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
04.09.2023 - 10:16
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
On my third playthrough of BG3. I grew up with the first two games and they have been a major part of my life for as long as I remember. BG3 is... different, but worthy.
10.09.2023 - 00:03
ylside
Staff
Written by Netzach on 04.09.2023 at 10:16

On my third playthrough of BG3. I grew up with the first two games and they have been a major part of my life for as long as I remember. BG3 is... different, but worthy.

Thanks for the feedback, BG2 is one of my fav RPGs - Was wondering if BG3 will stand the test...
Care to give more details ?
19.09.2023 - 03:45
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Written by ylside on 10.09.2023 at 00:03

Thanks for the feedback, BG2 is one of my fav RPGs - Was wondering if BG3 will stand the test...

Not sure what details you're after. It is the most expansive, configurable, replayable RPG since Idon'tknowwhen, and while the turn based and environmental combat derives a lot from Divinity: Original Sin 2, the 5e DnD system makes everything a lot better. There is a lot of emergent gameplay (I once couldn't pick a lock so I threw a fire bolt at the hay roof and it burned up so I could jump inside) and there are always many ways to solve a conflict: battle, social skills, stealth, playing two factions against each other... There are insanely many opportunities to be either a goody-two-shoes save-the-world kind of guy or to succumb to the dark powers entirely.

Slight spoilers from Act 1: You quickly enter a grove of druids which is the main hub in Act 1. Tieflings and druids are in conflict there, and there are many ways to pick a side (or none at all). They are also under threat by goblins and want you to eradicate the goblin leaders. Well, you can go to the goblin camp, ally yourself with them, and join them in a complete fucking slaughter of the druid grove - men, women, and innocent children alike.

You can speak with animals - every animal has something interesting to say. You can speak with corpses and find out what killed them. You can choose to submit to the evil powers inside you or restrain yourself (much like the Slayer dilemma in BG2). You can be horribly evil and disgustingly good and everything in between.

I'll keep it spoiler free unless you ask me more specific things, but yes, it does stay true to the Nietzsche quote opening BG1: When you gaze long into the abyss, the abyss gazes back into you. Everybody has hidden agendas and secrets, every companion has an extensive questline, there are literally hundreds of permutations of the ending of the game, and it is a pure joy to play. You can throw any item in your inventory at someone as an improvised weapon (barbarians can even throw enemies at each other), you can jump around everywhere to reach hidden places, you can choose between an extensive amount of races (human, elf, halfelf, githyanki, tiefling, dragonborn, gnome, dwarf, halfling), each with their own set of subraces (such as half-drow, all the dragon colours of the dragonborn, rock gnome, svirfneblin) and the game reacts to your choice.

You can choose between the 12 base classes (fighter, barbarian, druid, paladin, ranger, monk, sorcerer, wizard, warlock, rogue, bard, cleric), each with their own set of at least 3 subclasses (wild magic barbarian is pretty crazy, and paladins have a secret subclass "Oathbreaker" you become if you break the oath your subclass has sworn... many secrets). You choose your background and people react to that too. You can multiclass freely and you can respec yourself and your companions from scratch (I made my druid companion a warlock/bard for instance) - as many classes as you like.

I can't recommend the game enough, the main story is at least 100 hours of playtime and the replayability is immense. I just wish I had a team of friends to co-op with. Maybe I can find somebody interested here?

That's a brief rundown of "details". Ask more specifically and I can answer more.
23.09.2023 - 00:36
ylside
Staff
Written by Netzach on 19.09.2023 at 03:45

Written by ylside on 10.09.2023 at 00:03

I can't recommend the game enough, the main story is at least 100 hours of playtime and the replayability is immense. I just wish I had a team of friends to co-op with. Maybe I can find somebody interested here?

That's a brief rundown of "details". Ask more specifically and I can answer more.

Thanks that's very interesting - One of the best thing I remember about BG2 is the intricate spell breaching techniques and magical debuffs before you can hit that boss or high lvl monster, I never found it in any other RPG. Does BG3 has anything similar ?

I didn't play Divinity 2, but I guess I'll jump to BG3 directly sometime in the future, with a better laptop.

24.09.2023 - 18:14
IronAngel
Written by ylside on 23.09.2023 at 00:36

Thanks that's very interesting - One of the best thing I remember about BG2 is the intricate spell breaching techniques and magical debuffs before you can hit that boss or high lvl monster, I never found it in any other RPG. Does BG3 has anything similar ?

Haha, I hate dispel rolls, but you'll find that in other D&D games, too. The aforementioned Pathfinder. WotR is very BG-esque in the (IMO a bit tiresome) preparation for fights by slotting in the right buffs and spells etc. You raise your abjuration class level by various means, as well as get extra rolls from luck abilities, to specialize in dispelling if you like.
25.09.2023 - 13:00
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Written by ylside on 23.09.2023 at 00:36

I didn't play Divinity 2, but I guess I'll jump to BG3 directly sometime in the future, with a better laptop.

BG3 isn't high level DnD enough for that, it just barely breaches the starting levels of BG2 towards the end (level 12 is max and it's 5e DnD of course), but there's plenty of tactical combat where you have to pick which abilities to use depending on what enemy you're fighting and their stats and different saving throws, and there's lots of different damage types and resistances (which you can affect with spells of course) and there's some of that magical combat too - one of my favourite spells quickly turned out to be Counterspell - and you can cast lower levels spells as higher level ones and they'll scale in effects and damage.

I'm playing BG3 on a shitty laptop using Nvidia GeForce Now (which streams the game between you and a gaming computer, from your own Steam library), it has worked very well for me.
26.09.2023 - 00:21
ylside
Staff
Written by Netzach on 25.09.2023 at 13:00

I'm playing BG3 on a shitty laptop using Nvidia GeForce Now (which streams the game between you and a gaming computer, from your own Steam library), it has worked very well for me.

Nvidia Geforce now - I completely forgot about this... will investigate... Means I can actually play RDR2 and Stalker 2 when it comes out in the future with this
26.09.2023 - 00:44
ylside
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 24.09.2023 at 18:14

Haha, I hate dispel rolls, but you'll find that in other D&D games, too. The aforementioned Pathfinder. WotR is very BG-esque in the (IMO a bit tiresome) preparation for fights by slotting in the right buffs and spells etc. You raise your abjuration class level by various means, as well as get extra rolls from luck abilities, to specialize in dispelling if you like.

Pathfinder is another one that I have been hesitant to check, will get to it
26.09.2023 - 00:45
ylside
Staff
Any of you two have played Darklands (1992) ?
Very high barrier of entry for modern players (mandatory to read that effing game manual) but apparently a real gem.

Needless to say I played it without reading the manual and stopped after 5 minutes.
Apparently ahead of it's time cRPG.
26.09.2023 - 01:02
Netzach
Planewalker
Staff
Written by ylside on 26.09.2023 at 00:44

Written by IronAngel on 24.09.2023 at 18:14

Pathfinder is another one that I have been hesitant to check, will get to it

I had a lot of fun with the sequel.
04.11.2023 - 04:12
Karlabos
Meat and Potatos
Been on a touhou binge. I downloaded all the danmaku touhous and deleted all the saves I had from the ones I already had.
I wanna 1cc all of them on normal, beat the extras and aim for hard then lunatic whenever possible. I figure if I switch between them wisely I can make it so that it's more or less a manageable difficulty progression, since some games have harder normals than others/easier hards than others and such...

I wonder if I can actually get better at these games to do that?

EDIT: GNGNNN Why is Touhou OST so good!?
----
"Aah! The cat turned into a cat!"
- Reimu Hakurei
13.11.2023 - 09:23
IronAngel
There's a really nice Humble Bundle (IGN picks) right now. Itching to try Wildermyth, Spiritfarer and The Forgotten City (although I will probably play Roadwarden first, as soon as I finish Cyberpunk, which is really dragging on).
14.11.2023 - 06:18
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Skyrim moment yesterday:
See Imperial soldiers at bandit camp with rock trap
Bandits drop rocks, no one hurt
Soldiers kill bandits
Soldiers start to leave
One soldier walks into stationary rock and dies
Soldier next to him looks down and says "I'm going to find whoever did this!"
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
26.11.2023 - 16:39
ylside
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 13.11.2023 at 09:23

There's a really nice Humble Bundle (IGN picks) right now. Itching to try Wildermyth, Spiritfarer and The Forgotten City (although I will probably play Roadwarden first, as soon as I finish Cyberpunk, which is really dragging on).

The Forgotten City is fantastic. Highly recommended.
15.12.2023 - 09:24
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Pokemon Silver.
I suspect that I'm not playing in the true spirit of the game by rocking up to the 1st gym with a steelix that knows earthquake and rock slide.
----
23.12.2023 - 20:38
ylside
Staff
Hellish Quart, anyone ? on sale on steam.
Feels like it's going to be great.
28.12.2023 - 09:20
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Goy my old cd version of GTA SA working on windows 10. Only took me 2 attempts to follow the damn train.
----
28.12.2023 - 10:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by M C Vice on 28.12.2023 at 09:20

Goy my old cd version of GTA SA working on windows 10. Only took me 2 attempts to follow the damn train.

I still have CD rom at my PC, many dont have it, but I dont play old games due bad graphics, all is in origin or steam, nowadays I try avoid older games as 2010 something , I prefer good graffic and its time when pre historic games start to be modern
----
I stand whit Ukraine and Israel. They have right to defend own citizens.

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
01.01.2024 - 13:08
nonZero
This year I've completed:
• Red Dead Redemption 2 (9.7/10)
• Diablo 2 (9.2/10)
• Resident Evil 4 Remake (9.4/10)
• Final Fantasy VI (8.7/10)
• Portal: Revolution (8.6/10)

Currently playing Tears of the Kingdom, The Witcher 3 and Persona 5 Royal.
----
Top 500 Albums (ordered & rated)
Top 200 Overlooked Albums (with genres)
So I Heard You Like Wintersun... (Time II find new bands)
05.01.2024 - 22:42
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Bootlegger's Mafia Racing Story
Just saw teaser or game play, loos interesting.

GTA6 thoughts? So maybe on Pc it will arive on 2027. It means red dead 3 on 2040. Trailer looks cool, rumor is story be 20h shorter as RDR2
----

apos;'
[image]
20.01.2024 - 13:45
IronAngel
So Roadwarden, which I finished a good while ago, was unexpectedly excellent. For a text-based RPG/adventure, the pacing still felt very good. Stuff was happening. Great writing, great mechanics. I'm a bit of a save-scummer if given the option (not so much because I want the optimal solution but because I'm just too curious to see what path I missed on a poor roll, and I never replay), and the game became a little easy toward the end if you gamed it, but it's still one of the best RPGs I've played, especially among indie games.

Just finished Subnautica. I'm not a huge survival game fan, they feel kinda grindy and became stale very soon, but this was an amazing experience. One of the better games I've played, in any genre. It has its own identity and everything about it is built around that. Perfect way to encourage exploration and progress the story with virtually no external hints or narrative. A very well designed open world that's pretty small but has stuff to explore for hours (I think I played around 70h) and that, most of all, makes sense geographically. Visually stunning. The base building aspect was so-so as such, but the relief when you get your small safe-haven powered up in the bottom of a dark ocean is a great feeling.

On to either Forgotten City or Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I think Forgotten City would be nice to play with my wife, but we're in the early mid-game of Breat of the Wild (got "the kids" a Switch for Christmas, eheh) so it would be a while.
21.01.2024 - 21:30
ylside
Staff
Written by IronAngel on 20.01.2024 at 13:45

Just finished Subnautica. I'm not a huge survival game fan, they feel kinda grindy and became stale very soon, but this was an amazing experience. One of the better games I've played, in any genre. It has its own identity and everything about it is built around that. Perfect way to encourage exploration and progress the story with virtually no external hints or narrative. A very well designed open world that's pretty small but has stuff to explore for hours (I think I played around 70h) and that, most of all, makes sense geographically. Visually stunning. The base building aspect was so-so as such, but the relief when you get your small safe-haven powered up in the bottom of a dark ocean is a great feeling.

On to either Forgotten City or Kingdom Come: Deliverance. I think Forgotten City would be nice to play with my wife, but we're in the early mid-game of Breat of the Wild (got "the kids" a Switch for Christmas, eheh) so it would be a while.

Will definitely check Roadwarden.

Glad you liked Subnautica, it's one of my favs, played it in 2020 and might replay it soon because of the latest big patch.

How did you play ? I played Subnatucai in a very counterintuitive way by having a very small base near the first lifepod... and basically spent the entire game going back and forth, like a real job, you explore then go back home to build or restock stuff etc... turns out most people don't do that, and played without the hunger mechanic (just wanted the exploration), maybe this time I'll do the full experience.

Seamoth "adventures" were the best, Shrimp was waky but fun, big submarine was just a waste of time imo.

I would say go for The Forgotten City as it's quite short.

25.01.2024 - 16:19
Metren
Dreadrealm
I have 1300+ hours in Valheim. And while those are rookie numbers compared to some players, I still love how much value I have got out of this game. I go back to it every few months and always have a great time. I might reach 2000 hours by the end of this year.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
25.01.2024 - 20:28
IronAngel
Written by ylside on 21.01.2024 at 21:30

How did you play ? I played Subnatucai in a very counterintuitive way by having a very small base near the first lifepod... and basically spent the entire game going back and forth, like a real job, you explore then go back home to build or restock stuff etc... turns out most people don't do that, and played without the hunger mechanic (just wanted the exploration), maybe this time I'll do the full experience.

Seamoth "adventures" were the best, Shrimp was waky but fun, big submarine was just a waste of time imo.

I was a bit of a wimp at first, just sticking near the starting shallows in a half-assed base at first, but I made my proper main base right on the eldge of the green kelp zone and the one with the red grass and floater pillars, above the entrance to the mushroom caves (where one of those early lifepods is). For the majority of my run, I just used the Seamoth with two storage compartments to travel back and forth.

I found the last Cyclops recipe very late, and started using it and upgraded Prawn Suit together. Basically packed an entire mobile base into Cyclops, lined the walls with lockers, and went for the late-game areas. I built a refuelling/scanning base first at the river entrance, then dismantled it and moved it into the tree cove. It was pretty useless at that point, though, I got to recharge by power cells a few times but didn't actually need to - had plenty to spare. Just felt nice to have a home away from home while I explored the deepest regions.
10.02.2024 - 22:19
Joppe
Steelemeister
Hmmm I never expected there would be games like Baldur's Gate 3 or Jagged Alliance 3.

Most recently I finished Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous and these are good games in overall, maybe 2,5/5 for the former and 3/5 for the latter in rating with both games having some flaws and bad design. Pillars of Eternity was better. I also finished Hard West 2, which is good after getting a hang of the mechanics and can set the difficulty high enough, 4/5 game for me. And Tower of Time is still unfinished, another good game if you don't mind the repetitive combat.

I don't think I will be buying BG3 because it doesn't look true to the predecessors and 60€ price, but I think I will get JA3. Maybe there will be Icewind Dale 3 too some day
----
My vision is augmented
13.02.2024 - 00:02
ylside
Staff
Written by Joppe on 10.02.2024 at 22:19

I don't think I will be buying BG3 because it doesn't look true to the predecessors and 60€ price, but I think I will get JA3. Maybe there will be Icewind Dale 3 too some day

Tried Age of Decadence ?
13.02.2024 - 08:07
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Joppe on 10.02.2024 at 22:19

Hmmm I never expected there would be games like Baldur's Gate 3 or Jagged Alliance 3.

Most recently I finished Pathfinder: Kingmaker, Pathfinder: Wrath of the Righteous and these are good games in overall, maybe 2,5/5 for the former and 3/5 for the latter in rating with both games having some flaws and bad design. Pillars of Eternity was better. I also finished Hard West 2, which is good after getting a hang of the mechanics and can set the difficulty high enough, 4/5 game for me. And Tower of Time is still unfinished, another good game if you don't mind the repetitive combat.

You play PC games, I tjought you're 80's trashing man whit beer can in your hands what dont play PC games, what wears letter and jeans and has old school hair style
----

apos;'
[image]