09. Sahti-Waari
10. Prologue For R.R.R.
11. Rex Regi Rebellis
12. Katuman Kaiku
13. Battle Metal 2008 [re-issue bonus]
14. Till The Last Man Falls [Japanese bonus]
15. Terra Tavestorum [Japanese bonus]
16. Midnight Sunrise [Live bootleg] [Japanese bonus]

Yes, is another "___" Metal band, nowadays everyone wants to put an special label on their music, like "Dragon Metal", "Negative Metal" and now, "Battle Metal" , in defend of the band subject to the review here, I must say that for the first time I really feel like the title here suits the style perfectly, because when I hear Turisas I want to storm into some epic battle carrying one axe in one hand, a shield on the other and in my back a bow and a quiver of arrows.

For those who doesn't know a thing about Turisas, they're hailing from Finland and their band name is taken from and ancient Finnish god of war. Even if they're a great band I must say that this debut album (which was released in July of this year) has been given little promotion and I bet that many of you haven't heard of the Finnish combo.

Musically their playing Viking/Pagan Metal with a lot of Folk influences, or if you will, "Battle Metal", when listening to this can't help thinking of Finntroll, Ensiferum, Bal Sagoth among other acts. But even if they're walking on similar paths with the after mentioned acts, they manage to create the correct atmosphere to become unique.

Choirs, violins, accordions and some female vocals are some of the elements you'll find within this album, interesting compositions and creative songwriting are one of the most interesting assets of this album, the variation on vocals are also something, from growls to clean ones they meld into the music depending the moment and the mood of the music.
Among my favorite songs are definitively "Midnight Sunrise" "Rex Regi Rebellis", and the instrumentals "Sahti-waari" and "Katuman-Kaiku".

One bad point for the album could be the keyboards, they don't fit the music well, when you have the real deal, like accordions and violins, a keyboard must be used only as backing, to give texture and atmosphere to the music, but instead, these guys use the keyboard as a main instrument like in "As The Torches Rise", which is a good song, but the keys doesn't convince me?

Beside that minor setback, this is a great album, recommended for all of you that are into Folk and Pagan Metal, Turisas makes a great debut album filled with creativeness, and a killer artwork done by maestro Niklas Sundin. A must for Viking fans.

Written by Undercraft | 09.08.2005

Comments

Comments: 12   Visited by: 118 users
01.10.2006 - 21:02
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I've only heard the second track... reminds me a bit about new Dimmu, very symphonic. Seems nice.
30.10.2006 - 22:46
Rating: 9
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
pretty good review, but wouldve given it a little higher mark, great album, probably my favorite out of my entire collection.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
07.11.2006 - 22:11
The Alchemist
Metalchemist
Yeah, good review.
I haven't heard all the songs, but I must say that this album is just great, the atmosphere inside each song (specially the instrumental ones), the battle spirit, make this album unique
----

I'm not afraid to die, I'm afraid to be alive without being aware of it
Sensorium - Epica
09.12.2006 - 16:33
Talvi

Good __ Metal xD
----
My account on other musical pages:
http://www.last.fm/user/Pozito/
http://rateyourmusic.com/~Talvi
28.12.2006 - 08:51
Dreamwar_86
To Arms!
best folk metal album ever heard now im a fan of folk metal thanks to turisas XD
----
Stay Metal !!!
29.04.2007 - 09:40
Susan
Smeghead
Good point about the keyboards; they do lend a certain extra "symphonic" element, though, that many other viking bands bypass. Sometimes I enjoyed that addition but on some songs I agree with you: why the keyboards when you have accordions, etc?

Nice review
----
"A life all mine
Is what I choose
At the end of my days"
--The Gathering "A Life All Mine" from Souvenirs
04.10.2007 - 21:11
Valentin B
Iconoclast
this is honestly the "epicest" album ever... the fucking melodies are just so uplifting, you almost can see a viking village tavern or something!
20.10.2007 - 02:50
+{Jonas}+
I R Serious Cat
This album kiciks ass, and the "___" genre suits them perfectly. Listening to this album makes me wnat to have a sword and go to war and conquer some land
----
"Nobody wants to be the weird kid, you just end up being the weird kid. You don't know how you ended up getting there" - Rob Zombie

http://jonas-bs.deviantart.com My dA, mainly photography, go check it out!
22.10.2007 - 06:35
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Valentin B on 04.10.2007 at 21:11

this is honestly the "epicest" album ever... the fucking melodies are just so uplifting, you almost can see a viking village tavern or something!

There newest album totally blows this one out of the water for epicness.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
09.10.2008 - 20:08
Rating: 6
amarchand

not much of a fan of this album, it's a bit cheesy with all the trumpets and such, good pump-up music but it kinda runs together after awhile, nowhere near the same league as ensiferum, eluveitie, tyr, finntroll, or many other viking/folk/battle/whatever you want to call it bands
31.12.2009 - 02:54
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Very entertaining album And once again a great Undercraft review on folk metal albuns.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/
22.07.2015 - 19:04
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Wolfsbane consider they plays winter metal ---- I like this intro about genre in review
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 6837 | This month: 6