03. Sarcophagus
04. Kheftiu Asar Butchiu
05. Unas Slayer Of The Gods
06. Churning The Maelstrom
07. I Whisper In The Ear Of The Dead
08. Wind Of Horus
09. In Their Darkened Shrines I: Hall Of Saurian Entombment
10. In Their Darkened Shrines II: Invocation To Seditious Heresy
11. In Their Darkened Shrines III: Destruction Of The Temple Of The Enemies Of Ra
12. In Their Darkened Shrines IV: Ruins

What more can be said of Nile that hasn't been said already? They have the distinction of being one of the most creative, most original, most consistent, and most technically accomplished death metal bands to emerge in the past twenty years. Also, I think that they may be second only to Opeth in terms of how well they combine brutality with an epic, atmospheric feel. And In Their Darkened Shrines is, in my opinion, the band at their absolute best.

First off, the music itself. With Dallas Toler-Wade, the great Tony Laureano, and of course the mighty Karl Sanders, you can be sure that this album is an extremely accomplished piece of music. Most of the songs are highly technical, full of fast drumming, interesting, "Eastern sounding" guitar riffs, and insanely wicked guitar solos. In addition, there is the neat use of keyboards on several tracks, to assist their epic atmosphere. In Their Darkened Shrines has a great deal of diversity to it as well, that never makes it dull, or sound as if all the tracks just blend together. For example, there are fast, brutal tracks ("Kheftiu Asar Butchiu," "Wind Of Horus," "Execration Text"), a slow, heavy track ("Sarcophagus") and some long epic tracks as well ("Unas Slayer Of The Gods," "In Their Darkened Shrines"). This variety only further cements to me what a talented songwriter Karl Sanders is, and that he is not a musician who settles for mediocrity: he delivers in every way. The sound quality of the music is absolutely perfect, though the bass is somewhat buried in the mix, the only real problem I could see anyone having with the album.

The lyrics contribute to the epic, Egyptian-themed nature of the band, and sometimes feel as if they're telling a story (a quality I've always enjoyed and admired about Nile). Take the epic break to the end of "Unas Slayer Of The Gods," for example: "Unas hath taken possession of the hearts of the gods/Unas feedeth on their entrails/He hath gorged on their unuttered sacred words/He hath assimilated the wisdom of the gods/His existence is everlasting!!!" When this epic break finishes, by the way, the song heads back into a heavier, more intense passage... only further testament to the musical diversity on this album.

In short, this is Nile in their finest hour. In Their Darkened Shrines, while having some common musical features among its tracks, never gets boring at any point, and leaves you gasping for air once you've finished listening to it. There are no bad tracks whatsoever, although "Sarcophagus," "Wind Of Horus," "Kheftiu Asar Butchiu," "Unas Slayer Of The Gods," and "Hall Of Saurian Entombment" (the first part of "In Their Darkened Shrines") are my personal favorites. A masterpiece of an album, one of the best death metal albums of the past decade, and a crown jewel worthy of any serious death metal fan's collection.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 10
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written by Auntie Sahar | 28.07.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Staff review by
Herzebeth
Rating:
Nile is actually a very original band, their music is a mix of Brutal Death Metal with Technical approaches, plus some melodic environments added here and there, few bands manage to make hybrids sound cool, Nile is one of those bands, now let me review one of their most popular albums, "In Their Darkened Shrines"

Read more ››
published 29.07.2005 | Comments (15)

Comments

Comments: 8   Visited by: 94 users
23.08.2011 - 04:10
BeastOfMetal456
Account deleted
Good review, but the album's worth a 9.
23.08.2011 - 21:57
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
A 7 you mean.
23.08.2011 - 22:34
Rating: 10
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Daniell on 23.08.2011 at 21:57

A 7 you mean.

If I meant a 7, I would have put a 7.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.08.2011 - 09:32
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
I was my way of conveying my rating of this album in this forum thread.
24.08.2011 - 16:47
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Daniell on 24.08.2011 at 09:32

I was my way of conveying my rating of this album in this forum thread.

I know lol. It's all good bro, we all have our own opinions. Nile's just one of my favorite metal bands, so I guess you could say I maybe put a little bit of bias into this review. But on the other hand, they're a very great band, and this album shows off their originality and great songwriting quite well. So... yeah, basically everything I said in the review haha.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
08.11.2011 - 21:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Coconut Racecar on 08.11.2011 at 11:41
maybe it'll spark an interest in the band for me ?

It might spark an interest, although you probably won't consider it a perfect 10.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.09.2020 - 18:01
Alakazam
spendin' cheese
Hey! It's been interesting to see you here doing this album, giving you know what score to what is honestly an effort that (along with Lykathea Aflame) is crushingly undermined in how effectively well it's composed, to what other related efforts of the genre were or have been since. I'm not talking about death metal subgenres, but death 'fucking' metal1111 . After recently going through to reassess my old collections opinion on Nile to where I've ventured into your style and its displays since then it makes perfect full-circle sense to see you and scoring it what you did.

It's special to see the amount of Tony Laureano praise that he rightfully gets on this album's page. With George Kollias, Nile slowly turned into deathgrind. Try and unhear that.

There's also the most balanced amount of tone shown to be heard in this compared to other Nile alone. Each riff and rhythm has its motions easily identifiable without a sense of being blurred out like on Amhiliation or just blowing their load halfway in a 2-minute track then fall into shit directionless obscurity as on Black Seeds. The eastern sounding performance tied with confident, refined, and ultimately, memorable structure shows which makes this album always a breeze when compared to multitudes of dm foes. Even the tracks that aren't as importantly necessary (Churning, Kheftu, Horus), do not overstay. Although after Sarcophagus/ Whisper In The Ear..., I did wonder how effective they can get if ever going the death-doom route, even for just an ep but when I first heard Ahab, I got Nile vibes. This wasn't even talking about the use of Egyptian soundscapes. This was at a time such term wasn't even laid down afaik, sure you had sound effects, interludes, but rarely a blend in being something else entwined. if it were me I would make Hall Of Saurian Entombment and Ruins at least Tohmet length, to justify the pay off tension in Nile returning in full pay off to post orgasm trance. Or you could just invite a helpful partner if they still are available and loop this track. Teehee.

When starting collecting seriously after owning a shitload of CDs in 2013 this was one of the initial highlights I reconsidered upgrading that I eventually got bored with and stepped it aside. Now, I see it not only nostalgic in many rites but also absolutely creatively stronger and overlooked when in the spectrum of all death metal. Every cavernous/ atmospheric 2010's (definitely Chaos Echoes) that is appreciated at best, owe it to this.

Might do the smart thing and re-add this to the wantlist, before the specific desired version's market virtually goes out of existence.
----
I may not have the largest collection but I certainly have the absolute best

30.09.2020 - 17:19
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Written by Alakazam on 28.09.2020 at 18:01

Long ass comment

Lol this was one of the first reviews I ever wrote for MS.... always interesting to get notifications from people commenting on super old publications of mine

Thanks for the detailed comment. I do indeed think Tony Laureano was Nile's best drummer, even if he wasn't in the band as long as Kollias has been now. He had a lot more versatility and emotion behind his playing and kept things interesting at different tempos. Kollias is indeed a great drummer but my biggest complaint with him (much like with the Behemoth drummer) is that he's just all speed.

Anyway this is easily the best Nile album for me, it blends all their various manipulations of tempo together and merges their brutality with their atmosphere better than anything else in their discog. They just aren't making music this good anymore, plain and simple.
----

~ II. VII

Hits total: 7314 | This month: 6