Metal Storm logo
Ideas and suggestions

Original post

Posted by BitterCOld, 24.08.2011 - 20:00
Post yer ideas, thoughts, and suggestions for the website here. thanks.
01.04.2014 - 13:41
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.04.2014 at 13:36

Written by Bad English on 01.04.2014 at 12:52
I ddo it often hen its to big

First of all you don't have the permissions to edit other user's posts, and second of all you don't even know how to edit your own. I had to clean up that Sonata Arctica album thread no thanks to you. You ended up involved in a quote train that spanned almost an entire page.

I meen if I quote long quote I delete old posts in that quote (90% ) .. and did I quote like longin SA tread I dont remeber, t.b.h. .....and where did I end up, if someone quotes me or quoter whit like 10 posts its not my faulth, many times I delete old partsif its long quote
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
02.04.2014 - 05:08
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by R Lewis on 01.04.2014 at 12:04

How To Destroy MetalStorm In One Day

Chapter 1
Page 1

Pretty much.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

31.05.2014 - 03:50
Doge of Venice

Haven't read through this thread, but I just had a thought (and those are rare). Would it be a better idea to just have "Instrumental" as a separate genre tag? So, for example, if I wanted to search through the band list for instrumental bands of any genre, I could?

We already have 'instrumental' within tags, but I think it would make sense if they were labelled both, say, progressive metal AND instrumental, or tech death AND instrumental. I guess you could do the same with an 'Ambient' tag.
01.06.2014 - 03:02
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Doge of Venice on 31.05.2014 at 03:50
Would it be a better idea to just have "Instrumental" as a separate genre tag?

Yes. Yes it would.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.06.2014 - 19:55
Doge of Venice

Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.06.2014 at 03:02

Written by Doge of Venice on 31.05.2014 at 03:50
Would it be a better idea to just have "Instrumental" as a separate genre tag?

Yes. Yes it would.

Can't tell if sarcasm or not.

I mean, I know instrumental is not a genre unto itself, but I just though giving it's own tag would be the simplest method of what I was suggesting.
01.06.2014 - 19:59
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Doge of Venice on 01.06.2014 at 19:55
Can't tell if sarcasm or not.

Not, for the same reasons you mentioned. It would help users search for instrumental bands regardless of genre.

This is the guy you'll need to message about that kind of thing by the way.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
01.06.2014 - 20:14
Doge of Venice

Written by Troy Killjoy on 01.06.2014 at 19:59

Not, for the same reasons you mentioned. It would help users search for instrumental bands regardless of genre.

This is the guy you'll need to message about that kind of thing by the way.

Cool. I'll send him a message.
18.06.2014 - 21:32
Andrew_Deer
None,really
Hi, what's question "Why should it be on Metal Storm?" in band suggestions good for? I thought this is database, or does this site work only for those "better" bands?
18.06.2014 - 21:45
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Andrew_Deer on 18.06.2014 at 21:32
Hi, what's question "Why should it be on Metal Storm?" in band suggestions good for? I thought this is database, or does this site work only for those "better" bands?

It's more of a webzine than a database. Metal Storm is more driven by content (album and concert reviews, articles) than it is by band profiles. It has nothing to do with "better" bands (whatever that means) and the reason we ask for you to clarify why your suggestion would be good for the site is so our database features profiles that are relevant to our users and so that we don't end up flooded with profiles like Metal-Archives.
----
19.06.2014 - 08:22
D.T. Metal

Written by Andrew_Deer on 18.06.2014 at 21:32

and to add what Troy said - we also need to make sure the band fits our overall "style"; meaning Nickelback should NOT be on Metal Storm.
19.06.2014 - 16:30
Andrew_Deer
None,really
Okay, well, I don't even know Nickelback. But if I understand right, it's some kind of pop music. Anyway, what's best to write there, or what persuases you that it should be here? (In truth of course, I'm not gonna say, that in my local band Shagrath plays ukulele or such...)
19.06.2014 - 17:33
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Andrew_Deer on 19.06.2014 at 16:30
Anyway, what's best to write there, or what persuases you that it should be here?

You can write about the success of the band, mention any positive criticism they've received (such as reviews or press coverage), point out that they are in fact metal (or at least related enough to be deemed appropriate for the site) - it's basically your way of stating your case to have the band added.

Of course, you'll also notice that there are currently 166 pages of suggestions. So don't take it personally if your amazing description goes unnoticed and your suggestion is pushed back into obscurity.
----
19.06.2014 - 18:52
Andrew_Deer
None,really
Written by Troy Killjoy on 19.06.2014 at 17:33

Written by Andrew_Deer on 19.06.2014 at 16:30
Anyway, what's best to write there, or what persuases you that it should be here?

You can write about the success of the band, mention any positive criticism they've received (such as reviews or press coverage), point out that they are in fact metal (or at least related enough to be deemed appropriate for the site) - it's basically your way of stating your case to have the band added.

Of course, you'll also notice that there are currently 166 pages of suggestions. So don't take it personally if your amazing description goes unnoticed and your suggestion is pushed back into obscurity.

Yeah, that's understandable. Thanks.
27.06.2014 - 09:52
Stoned Crow

I just wanted to say thinks for the ignore function. I must have missed it, before. It works! It's awesome!
----
I'm very serious about not being serious.
02.08.2014 - 07:51
-Morbid-

Has there been any talk of tinkering with the album collection display system?

The way it's structured now is easy to read which is nice, but it uses up a lot of space for the band names so it breaks things up, and they are spread over a lot of pages which is a bit tedious to click through and makes it difficult to just browse through someone's collection. Is there any way it could be compressed a bit, perhaps by adding the band name to the left of the line with the album title and have more listings per page?

If not, then perhaps a dropdown box at the bottom of the page for "display 50/100/500/all" or something to choose so we don't have to keep changing pages? Or maybe an option in our profile settings for "display ____ per page when viewing collections" would work better?

I'm not meaning to be picky, but it would make the lists much easier to browse through quickly in my opinion if they were structured a little more like a spreadsheet. The current system and the search feature work great if you know what you are looking for, but (at least for me) the fun in browsing through someone's collection comes from finding unexpected or new things.

I know, I know, I don't have any of my albums listed here yet so I shouldn't be bitching, but that's why I don't yet... If I'm going to the trouble to put in 1200 something albums, I want to be sure they are in a system that is quick and easy to browse through.

(I hope this isn't read as a totally selfish suggestion. It is a bit that, but I do genuinely think it would make the feature quicker and easier to use.)
02.08.2014 - 08:08
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I don't think it's selfish at all. The collection section is a big source of traffic and a significant reason why a lot of registered users stay, even if they don't use the forums or read reviews or news articles here. The more options users have in terms of customizing that part of the site the better.

Hopefully Ivan reads your suggestion. If not, you could always try sending him a private message.
----
28.09.2014 - 13:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
http://www.metalstorm.net/forum/topic.php?topic_id=11888

How about this thread has not 1000 post limit and we can see all posts as well ?
----

apos;'
[image]
30.09.2014 - 22:07
D.T. Metal

Written by Bad English on 28.09.2014 at 13:30

How about this thread has not 1000 post limit and we can see all posts as well ?

Because all 1000 post threads are set to: Oldest posts will be deleted after reaching the limit
30.09.2014 - 22:28
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by D.T. Metal on 30.09.2014 at 22:07

Written by Bad English on 28.09.2014 at 13:30

Because all 1000 post threads are set to: Oldest posts will be deleted after reaching the limit

I know, but in that case we will lose pictures of nice looking female metalheads
----

apos;'
[image]
18.10.2014 - 03:53
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I'm not sure if has been suggested before, but I wish there was some dynamic communication (chat room, etc.) where the community could meet and discuss everything goes. The shout box just feels so outdated and marginalized. We have a hugely diverse user-base and I think a more real-time sense of interaction would benefit the site as a whole.
18.10.2014 - 12:29
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Introspekrieg on 18.10.2014 at 03:53

I'm not sure if has been suggested before, but I wish there was some dynamic communication (chat room, etc.) where the community could meet and discuss everything goes. The shout box just feels so outdated and marginalized. We have a hugely diverse user-base and I think a more real-time sense of interaction would benefit the site as a whole.

we have pub and if SB wont be its metal storm icon an chat box might take to much space on server
----

apos;'
[image]
12.11.2014 - 18:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I send many act req (I cant remember all)
There was one band I tried to delete dead link, (it was send my me)
I saw logs aq req by me accept, reject
I tried delete link and accept it said flagged by Troy

if there are pending req last update, I want edit something I can see ok accept, eject wont make band visible. but if Troy or someone alse is flagged it I cant make any edits, if req is pending mine, others what so ever

I want do it whit Spirit Caravan, broke up, but it says Troy flagged it so I cant make any edits since act req pending maybe Ivan you can fix it that flagged edits would be possible edit like new link, bio etc ?
----

apos;'
[image]
12.11.2014 - 20:35
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Bad English on 12.11.2014 at 18:34

I send many act req (I cant remember all)
There was one band I tried to delete dead link, (it was send my me)
I saw logs aq req by me accept, reject
I tried delete link and accept it said flagged by Troy

if there are pending req last update, I want edit something I can see ok accept, eject wont make band visible. but if Troy or someone alse is flagged it I cant make any edits, if req is pending mine, others what so ever

I want do it whit Spirit Caravan, broke up, but it says Troy flagged it so I cant make any edits since act req pending maybe Ivan you can fix it that flagged edits would be possible edit like new link, bio etc ?

If Staff flag an edit then only other Staff can edit it. It's a safeguard to keep users from messing with edits flagged by Staff (whether it be by accident or on purpose).
----

12.11.2014 - 20:38
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by psykometal on 12.11.2014 at 20:35

If Staff flag an edit then only other Staff can edit it. It's a safeguard to keep users from messing with edits flagged by Staff (whether it be by accident or on purpose).

I know but I mean those act req , becase if its flagged and send to req non of us can edit it , like it was whit Spirit Caravan and band from Finland(what name I don't remember)

if I click edit and band are send to act I see accept(green) reject(red) no matter what I click, I wont act it it still be there, but then I can edit bio, what so ever, if Troy or staffer are flagged, I can not make changes, like I said to you about SC
----

apos;'
[image]
12.11.2014 - 20:49
psykometal
A staff guy...
Written by Bad English on 12.11.2014 at 20:38

Written by psykometal on 12.11.2014 at 20:35

I know but I mean those act req , becase if its flagged and send to req non of us can edit it , like it was whit Spirit Caravan and band from Finland(what name I don't remember)

if I click edit and band are send to act I see accept(green) reject(red) no matter what I click, I wont act it it still be there, but then I can edit bio, what so ever, if Troy or staffer are flagged, I can not make changes, like I said to you about SC

I know, but we can't make that only work for Activation requests because those count as just another edit.
----

12.11.2014 - 20:51
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
I see, well then I PM you if I need to solve another such
----

apos;'
[image]
26.11.2014 - 06:52
M C Vice
ex-polydactyl
Could there be some whay of filtering albums by country on this page http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/albums.php?
----
"Another day, another Doug."
"I'll fight you on one condition. That you lower your nipples."
" 'Tis a lie! Thy backside is whole and ungobbled, thou ungrateful whelp!"
09.12.2014 - 14:35
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
How about to in main search bar / engine have a possibility to search a label. It will be easier to update band labels as well,
And how about possibility filter only invisible bands http://metalstorm.net/bands/index.php

Now if we search invisible , they are mixed whit visible, how about only invisible as another option?
----

apos;'
[image]
18.12.2014 - 22:53
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
We have like Motörhead we type in aka Motorhead as well

How about musicians like hmm Lindtsröm , we alos write in aka Lindstrom

not all has weird letter son keys ?
----

apos;'
[image]
29.12.2014 - 16:04
Hex_Omega
Gem Seeker
From shoutbox

Mary suggestion:
Quote:
Metalstorm needs a new feature : The albums I want to check out. Something like the list of votes on profiles

My suggestions:

1. A list of bands just added to MS database but still with 'invisible' profiles.

2. A change to lists mechanism, so the list could 'recognize' if I want to add full album, single, EP or Demo. There are problems with bands such as Sirrah, Lurker Of Chalice, Tantara, Black Pyramid and many more. The best example of that problem is probably Lurker Of Chalice.
Everybody wanted to add full album to their lists -> http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=20970&band_id=2728&bandname=Lurker+Of+Chalice
but they added demo http://www.metalstorm.net/bands/album.php?album_id=20967&band_id=&bandname=Lurker+Of+Chalice just because of the same name.