Metal Storm logo
*The Best Albums Under 150 Votes*

This is a list of my favorite albums with less than 150 votes. The ordering is done by approximate preference. Bands may only have one entry on the list and no entries will come from the current calendar year. All of these albums are terrific and deserve to be listened to so do yourself a favor and check out these albums if the description intrigues you. **Last Update 08/16/11**

Created by: Pyramid God | 04.06.2011

1. Ghost Brigade - Guided By Fire
Isolation Songs is better but it has more than 150 votes. However, this album is an absolute masterpiece in its own right. Ghost Brigade is one of the best ever.
2. Slumber - Fallout
Crushing melo-doom that just makes your heart and ears ache. Perfect album, perfect atmosphere.
3. Leprous - Tall Poppy Syndrome
Amazing album that is heavily prog influenced. Harsh vocals and tempo/style changes throughout. Pick this album up if you're even slightly a prog fan.
4. Persefone - Core
Proggy, deathy, melodic and powerful. I luckily stumbled across these guys and I was sure glad I did. They make some good music. This album is awesome and bonus for it being a concept album, my favorite.
5. Into Eternity - Buried In Oblivion
A criminally underrated mixing of genres that pleases from start to finish. Check it out now! It is most definitely their best release by far.
6. Myrath - Desert Call
Arabian sounding prog metal in the vein of Symphony X. This is tremendously good and unique music.
7. Pagan's Mind - Celestial Entrance
Pagan's Mind are flat out awesome. Powerful prog elements fueled by rocking licks and amazing vocals. Even casual prog fans will enjoy this.
8. Shaolin Death Squad - Intelligent Design
Don't let the terrible band name fool you, this is good music. SDS play an energtic and inspired brand of avantgarde prog metal. Simply put, it rocks.
9. Enthrope - Tomorrow's Dead Days
Dark and melodic, driving and progressive, heavy and epic. This is amazing music that encompasses the best of many genres and exactly how melodeath should sound. Never a dull moment on this terrific release.
10. Allegaeon - Fragments Of Form And Function
I'm shocked how unknown these guys are. This is technical, melodic sonic brutality. The vocals are harsh but the lyrics are clear, which is nice. Its a great album with no weak spots.
11. Textures - Silhouettes
Another quality release that feels under-appreciated. These guys seamlessly blend genres into a complete package that rocks from start to finish.
12. Gorod - Leading Vision
Totally underrated tech-death with a vaguely prog sound. Bonus points for their new EP, the title track "Transcendence" is epicly awesome and got me into the band in the first place. I've been listening to them almost non-stop since I heard it.
13. Akercocke - Words That Go Unspoken, Deeds That Go Undone
Everyone's favorite satanists mix prog and death to create something that is terrificly beautiful and ugly at the same time and they do it with impeccable style. These guys are truly one of a kind.
14. Cautiva - Human
An excellent blend of prog and thrash that showcases the genius of one man, Jose Travieso. This album is free on his website but throwin' the dude some bucks should be encouraged as he certainly earns it with this amazing effort.
15. Hateform - Origins Of Plague
I had never heard of these guys until someone recommended them. They have an excellent thrashy and melodic sound.They just might be the best band you've never heard of.
16. Three - The End Is Begun
Rock with heavy prog influences that features terrific vocals and an interesting style of slap guitar makes this excellent band deserve praise. Their catalog is worth checking out.
17. Cult Of Luna - Salvation
Beautiful sludgey doom in the vein of Isis and Neurosis that evokes some serious emotions.
18. Cave In - Jupiter
I remembered hating this album 13 years ago when my favorite hardcore band up and changed its sound dramatically over night but it didn't take long for me to love it and the years have aged this album well. Enjoy the trippy space rock vibe.
19. Heavenly - Virus
Far and away my favorite pure power metal album. Ben Sotto's vocals and Olivier Lapauze's guitar work carry the weight on this terrific release.
20. Protest The Hero - Kezia
Yay concept albums!! I LOVE Protest The Hero. The energy fused with the progressive elements and undeniably interesting vocals makes for an awesome band.
21. SikTh - The Trees Are Dead And Dried Out, Wait For Something Wild
Crazy, prog influenced avantgarde djent metalcore with interesting vocals. This would appeal to a lot of different tastes and is excellent music.
22. Lykathea Aflame - Elvenefris
Underground, extreme metal. Only for the trve lovers ov metal. Technical and aggressive, this is the epitome of underrated.
23. Nightrage - Sweet Vengeance
A terrific melo-death album that seems to never come up in discussion. Tomas Lindberg shines on this album just like in his At the Gates glory days.
24. Poisonblack - Lust Stained Despair
Soumi metal at its finest. It's their best effort in my opinion.
25. Neurosis - The Eye Of Every Storm
Neurosis is just an all around under-appreciated band but its shocking this album isn't more well known. Check out the first track "Burn" to see what they bring to the table.
26. Communic - Waves Of Visual Decay
Prog influenced and melodic with vocals that sound like Warrel Dane from Nevermore. How could you go wrong?
27. Vanden Plas - Christ.0
Yay concept albums!! If you can't tell by now, I enjoy prog music. This entry on the list fits my taste well and yours too if you enjoy prog like I do.
28. Vintersorg - The Focusing Blur
More prog for the list. This time the mix is with black and folk.
29. Yyrkoon - Unhealthy Opera
Underrated death metal. Brutal!
30. The Gathering - Sleepy Buildings - A Semi Acoustic Evening
These guys have been around forever and Mandylion is obviously the album fans point to, but this is their best live album and thats saying something.
31. High On Fire - Snakes For The Divine
Stoner metal with the emphasis placed on the metal mark this excellent release. The title track makes the album almost worth it on its own.
32. Skeletonwitch - Beyond The Permafrost
Solid thrash goodness.
33. Fairyland - Score To A New Beginning
Good power metal from the band with the sissiest name in metal.
34. Tomahawk - Tomahawk
Mike Patton!!! I love everything Patton but I greatly prefer his efforts in Tomahawk.
35. Dredg - El Cielo
Another alt-rock classic. This is a thinking man's album. Bonus points for the amazing live show these guys put on.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Pyramid God ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 7   Visited by: 284 users
27.08.2011 - 10:39
qlacs
"The Quaker"
Such a great list dude!!
----
11.09.2011 - 19:52
MechanisT
Account deleted
Soild list, mate! One of my favourites coz of your emphasis on the underrated bit.
13.09.2011 - 07:37
Garth Vader

Nice call on Textures and Pagan's Mind... so very underrated.
----
Now I so clearly see how I have murdered me
10.10.2011 - 04:54
MetalDoomMaster

This list is awesome. Elvenfris is one of my favorite albums of all time from a very underrated, and pretty unheard of band.
03.07.2012 - 00:14
lord artan

Votes in metal storm is facking sad.every body like Metallica and megadeath and Wintersun.surely u right
03.07.2012 - 00:19
axelx666

Wow this is really underated metal..(well cept for skeletonwitch) great list man.
----
"they can't stop us,let them try,for heavy metal we will die"
"on olemassa asioita karmivimmat yönä olen yksi heistä."
" we are the new bucolic,we are the pulse of the maggots"
"END"
25.12.2020 - 00:33
sgtrobo

Thumbs up (8 years later) for including Into Eternity, Gorod, and Allegaeon

Hits total: 6547 | This month: 11