Metal Storm logo
Bands with 6 or more albums of which none are duds.

Original post

Posted by listmor, 28.08.2011 - 03:26
Think hard of the bands you like that have released six or more studio albums.

Which of those bands can you say that you thoroughly enjoy every album.

I love Black Sabbath but I don't really rate any of the albums after the Gillan one, and I think Never Say Die is great.

The big 4 of thrash have all had some albums that many would agree were terrible compared to their best, maybe I could argue that Slayer havent.

Of course bands cant make every album the same and their artistic expression changes so that we may no longer revere their work, but everyone has those bands that they beleive have never created anything but excellence.

I propose Judas Priest and Sodom.

Who do you propose, remembering a minimum of 6 studio albmus for the band to be eligible.
25.11.2011 - 14:56
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 24.11.2011 at 20:46

Written by Oaken on 24.11.2011 at 16:24
What makes you think it's weak? I haven't listened to it yet, but I want to set my expectations.

I personally enjoyed it but I can see why others wouldn't. The production alone makes for a less "raw" feel, it doesn't contain the same majestic atmosphere of AtHoW, and a lot of the songs sound rather similar. After the first two songs the quality takes a noticeable dive as well.

Anyway, it's Immortal. Personally, I can't go wrong with them, but I hope this isn't another Damned In Black. Sure, that was something great and experimental (They ventured more into thrash territory), but Immortal sound better with their black thrash and raw black style.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
25.11.2011 - 16:37
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Slayer666 on 25.11.2011 at 11:31

Written by Darkside Momo on 22.11.2011 at 14:02

And Moonspell fails because of Darkness And Hope

Yeah, that one is surely Moonspell's weakest, but I personally wouldn't call it a dud, so Moonspell makes the cut for me.

I don't really get the whole Darkness And Hope sux thingie, I myself find The Antidote to be the weakest link of Moonspell's discography. But still not enough to make it a dud, so I'm with Slayer666 on this one.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
25.11.2011 - 21:12
Slayer666
Written by AnGina-- on 25.11.2011 at 16:37

I myself find The Antidote to be the weakest link of Moonspell's discography.

With tracks like "In And Above Men", "Everything Invaded", "Southern Deathstyle", "A Walk on The Darkside", the title track etc. I disagree completely.
25.11.2011 - 22:29
AnGina--
Dark Phoenix
Written by Slayer666 on 25.11.2011 at 21:12

I disagree completely.

I don't care at all, I had Moonspell on my list in the beginning, explaining an mediocre-to-good album is not a dud for me and that's all that matters.
----
You think darkness is your ally? You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it. Molded by it. I didn't see the light until I was a man. But it was nothing to me but blinding.
03.12.2011 - 15:17
BrightNight
I think its pretty rare for old bands who are out there for years and who have a huge discography to have all albums good. Ofcourse its also a matter of personal taste.

Iron Maiden has a lot of mediocre but have at least 6 good albums in their Discography i could easily label good. But not all are good...
Black Sabbath without a doubt has at least 6 flawless albums but they also have some which are less enjoyable and i would not label perfect.
Iced Earth has a lot of powerful records but some which where disappointing a bit so i would not count them all good.

A lot of my favourite bands have such masterworks (to me) that its impossible to make better records after it, thats why they can be disappointing. While they are actually quite good in their own respect and certainly when compared to other bands.

Anyway, to me one band in particulier springs to mind which is Death. Death has a near perfect discography to me with almost every new album being better than the former.

So i would label Death as winner!
----
"So you children of the world, listen to what I say
If you want a better place to live in spread the words today
Show the world that love is still alive you must be brave
Or you children of today are Children of the Grave."
03.12.2011 - 18:04
fabregassed
Account deleted
Written by BrightNight on 03.12.2011 at 15:17

Anyway, to me one band in particulier springs to mind which is Death. Death has a near perfect discography to me with almost every new album being better than the former.

This is the part where Marcel will tell you that TSOP is overrated.
03.12.2011 - 19:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Guest on 03.12.2011 at 18:04

Naaah, too obvious. ALthough overrated and the band's weakest it is not a dud.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

03.12.2011 - 23:47
BrightNight
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 03.12.2011 at 19:27

Written by Guest on 03.12.2011 at 18:04

Naaah, too obvious. ALthough overrated and the band's weakest it is not a dud.

Your right, calling it a dud would be.....a matter of bad taste to say the least.....:o

The Sound Of Perseverance overrated? Their weakest album? I cant believe someone could say such a thing. But it seems like someone just did.
----
03.12.2011 - 23:51
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by BrightNight on 03.12.2011 at 23:47
The Sound Of Perseverance overrated? Their weakest album? I cant believe someone could say such a thing. But it seems like someone just did.

I agree with him. In fact*, their debut is the strongest - and it goes downhill from there. Not that the following albums are bad, but it kind of works like 8.7, 8.5, 8.3, etc.

* my opinion
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.12.2011 - 23:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted

I don't like any Death album. Chew on that.
03.12.2011 - 23:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 03.12.2011 at 23:54
Like a countdown to death?

I love inadvertent symbolism. Kudos!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.12.2011 - 23:57
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff

The only way you'd like Death is if Chuck mixed in some electronic elements and focused on creating a dark atmosphere.
----
04.12.2011 - 00:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.12.2011 at 23:57

The only way you'd like Death is if Chuck mixed in some electronic elements and focused on creating a dark atmosphere.

To be honest I'd probably just settle for someone else doing the vocals. Still the worst I've ever heard in a death metal band.
04.12.2011 - 00:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 04.12.2011 at 00:00
To be honest I'd probably just settle for someone else doing the vocals. Still the worst I've ever heard in a death metal band.

Really? I always assumed your problem was with the music, not the vocals. The more you know.

(Off-topic: What death metal vocalist(s) do you consider to be good?)
----
04.12.2011 - 00:06
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.12.2011 at 00:01

Really? I always assumed your problem was with the music, not the vocals. The more you know.

(Off-topic: What death metal vocalist(s) do you consider to be good?)

Well I don't love the music, it inherently screams "weak" whenever I listen to it but I suspect that's more to do with production than the music itself.

I approve of most styles of death growls to be honest, I just found Chuck's to be exceptionally amateurish. The kinda thing you'd resort to if your main vocalist K-holed and locked himself in a toilet and the bassist, who'd never growled or screamed in his life, had to take centre stage at a gig.
04.12.2011 - 00:17
BrightNight
Written by Troy Killjoy on 03.12.2011 at 23:51

I agree with him. In fact*, their debut is the strongest - and it goes downhill from there. Not that the following albums are bad, but it kind of works like 8.7, 8.5, 8.3, etc.

* my opinion

Funny, I think it the other way around, for me it goes uphill. I like everything Death has put out. The first albums had more oldschool "deathmetal" atmosphere while the later records became more technical and diverse and even melodic. To me Chuck improved himself through the years as a musician.
Anyway, its a matter of taste ofcourse.
----
04.12.2011 - 01:53
BrightNight

Really? Well that certainly adds to this discussion.....Oh, i don't like black metal. Chew on that.
----
04.12.2011 - 01:55
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by BrightNight on 04.12.2011 at 01:53

Really? Well that certainly adds to this discussion.....Oh, i don't like black metal. Chew on that.

Plenty of people don't like black metal though. Not liking Death is like being familiar with black metal but not liking De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.
04.12.2011 - 02:01
BrightNight
Written by Guest on 04.12.2011 at 01:55

Written by BrightNight on 04.12.2011 at 01:53

Plenty of people don't like black metal though. Not liking Death is like being familiar with black metal but not liking De Mysteriis Dom Sathanas.

Cant say that im really into Mayhem, no. Although i do know them, yes.
----
04.12.2011 - 02:24
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by BrightNight on 04.12.2011 at 02:01

Cant say that im really into Mayhem, no. Although i do know them, yes.

But you dislike black metal as a whole, much like anyone who didn't like death metal as a genre wouldn't like Death by default.
04.12.2011 - 02:40
edgethrasherx
Death, even though not everyone likes all their albums, none of them are bad. Some people are fans of Leprosy and human, while others like symbolic and individual thought patterns. But they are all good albums
----
"killing for religion. something i don't understand"-Dave Mustaine
04.12.2011 - 02:54
fabregassed
Account deleted

But it seems like someone just did.

Personally, I love that album, infact the only Death album I really enjoy.
04.12.2011 - 03:39
JÄY
Metal slave
Ooooh, King Diamond, of course.
13.01.2012 - 01:23
lordchadi
Manowar
king diamond
slayer
iron maiden
morgana lefay
savatage
01.08.2012 - 10:22
Dream Theater
Symphony X
Opeth
Death

These are the main ones for me and really the only ones I can think of that have 6+ albums that kick ass. I don't expect many to agree with my first two picks, but they're my two favorite bands, and I love everything DT and SmyX do.
01.08.2012 - 15:46
helofloki
Anal Cunt has like 20 albums worth of brilliant song titles, does that count?

I guess the real answer depends on one the opening post is asking. Is it for a band with 6 or more albums, where every single album they've ever made is not a dud? Like even if they have 7 or 8 none of them are duds? Or is it like, they had 6 consecutive albums that weren't duds. Also, the opening post actually also says 'thoroughly enjoyed all their albums' which doesn't necessarily mean the other albums are duds, but could be 'some good songs, but not a thorough enjoyment'. anyway, if the standards are this high, it's difficult to think of any musician who has made that much music which I have thoroughly enjoyed. It would probably have to be classical composers, and even then I can't think of one who I liked absolutely everything they've ever done. (maybe Ligety or Beethoven, but it's still tough to say, they have so much music).

anyway, I am going to assume the highest standards and mention a few metal bands who come close. Most of which have probably already been discussed.

I would want to say Opeth, one of the most consistent metal bands out there, except for their last album. What in the world happened? Really though, a great band. Easily hit the 6 consecutive great albums mark with their first 7. With Opeth, you know what you're getting and yet are impressed anyway.

Iron Maiden is worth mentioning on any post anyone makes on this thread. Most consistent band of them all. We could argue about their most recent releases, but really, just dominant for 3 decades. Great band, living legends.

I guess I would agree with Death, again a very consistent band. Perhaps the only one to actually fit the highest standards where, at least to me, every album was excellent and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Personally, I'm just more interested in Opeth and Maiden due to style preference. But Death nails the criteria on the head.
06.08.2012 - 05:35
Crucifux
Account deleted
Sigh, for me. I can't think of another band I've given so many good ratings to, and they continue to get better with almost every release.
08.08.2012 - 00:05
Olli
Devin Townsend
Exodus
Opeth
And wow that's all I can think of.. There are alot of bands that don't ever make it to 6 albums though.
----
When one door of happiness closes, another opens; but often we look so long at the closed door that we do not see the one which has opened for us."
08.08.2012 - 00:14
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Olli on 08.08.2012 at 00:05

Devin Townsend
Exodus
Opeth
And wow that's all I can think of.. There are alot of bands that don't ever make it to 6 albums though.

Exodus? I would certainly classifiy Impact Is Imminent as a dud and Force As Habit as well, and SHovel headed Kill Machine to a lesser extent and also both exhibit albus to a lesser extent
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

08.08.2012 - 00:35
BlueMobius
Account deleted
I would have to say Enslaved, they have a lot of good material, old and new, and even their weakest stuff is not worthy of the title "dud." I guess we'll see if that changes with the upcoming album, but I sure hope not.