Metal Storm logo
Dimmu Borgir

Original post

Posted by Warman, 02.10.2006 - 14:19
I can't believe that there is not an official thread about Dimmu Borgir. I just recently started listening to this wonderful band. Their first album "For all tid" is perfect and extremely beautiful.

So post your opinions and stuff that has anything to do with this band!
04.12.2009 - 16:44
Slayer666
Written by Bitter Dawn on 04.12.2009 at 15:35

Quote:

I'm done with the CoF thing man, it's an old debate that gets rendundant really fast. I understand you're a little buttsore about you're favourite band being trashed but, believe me man, they always have it coming.

Nah, mate, I'm used to it. Trve kvlt elite people make quite a sport out of bashing CoF, who's music is actually aproximately 700000 better than the pathetic excuse for instrument usage they usually listen to.
And for some reason, their arguments are always nothing but "FUCK'EM, THEYRE NOT TRVE!!PUSY FAGOT-ASS MUSIC FOR PUSIS!". And I have a hard time taking such arguments seriously, specially with such grammar.

Quote:

I'll humour you and, explain black metal as a life style. It has nothing to do with wearing corpse paint, for one, most people just look rediculous in that stuff but, BM itself goes a lot deeper than the face value people put on it, deeper than the stage antics and all the media hype that people read about in trashy metal rags.
It's about ideology and action, coming to terms with an inner darkness so to speak, recognizing the faults of all human kind and society and embracing disdain towards it all. It's the loathing and practice of anti-jeudo christianity, keeping a generally misanthropic mindset and trusting no one and for the most part, living in mental solitude if not physical isolation. It's not about being up and up on the current bands or knowing the history of the music, or going to as many shows as you can to say you were there and to buy merchandise.
The lifestyle encompasses many things. I'd say it's just as valid to worship Lucifer as it is to acknowledge no deity, if any thing, worshipping Lucifer only confirms the possibility or belief in god which, is of course counter-productive to bringing down christianity yet, things go deeper than being anti-christian, it really comes down to being anti-human and becoming self destructive, and anti-social. To actually create music and express indepth emotion and thoughts that go against the social normality is but, one way to live the lifestyle. I can not but help to think that even these things don't completely capture the true definition or properly convey the way of being, but, it's some thing for you to work with..not every one truly understands it, it's either some thing you feel and live by, or some thing you don't as, I know a lot of people just enjoy the music for it's extreme sound, style and message and that's where it begins and ends for them.

And you need black metal for that? Why? Black metal is a subgenre of metal music. Nothing more, nothing less. If you hate society, are being self-destructive, that's a different thing entirely. It's a philosophy, inspired and published by music.
Besides, your "black metal is a way of life" just contradicts the original supposed message of BM, and that is to rebel and be original. How are you doing that while doing something completely same that many other who listen BM do?
04.12.2009 - 17:59
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Slayer666 on 04.12.2009 at 16:44

And you need black metal for that? Why? Black metal is a subgenre of metal music. Nothing more, nothing less. If you hate society, are being self-destructive, that's a different thing entirely. It's a philosophy, inspired and published by music.
Besides, your "black metal is a way of life" just contradicts the original supposed message of BM, and that is to rebel and be original. How are you doing that while doing something completely same that many other who listen BM do?

Let's call it an outlet, I how ever did not say any thing about being original. BM is a great facet for expressing certain ideals. I don't particularily want to delve into the early 90's Norwegian scene (especially since I know we've other threads to discuss such matters relentlessly in) but, all the shit that went down back then became the foundation and epitome of the lifestyle. They may have been a bunch of kids at the time but, their actions and innovative music have obviously made a huge impact and thankfully now, people of that mindset are a bit more organized and focused, though I personally feel that in current times it's more talk than action and thankfully (again) we have a few choice musicians that actually apply their ideologies.

Alleged criminal action isn't just cut and dry, people who actually have the conviction to enact upon their beliefs should be respected, so long as their reasoning for doing certain things are valid. It's a majority rules out there, just because a person murders another person doesn't necassarily mean what they did was wrong, it's just not accepted on a social scale in which the person at hand has to deal with a third party (government,society etc.) repercussions. When it all boils down I think it reverts back to the old law of, "An eye for an eye" because, obviously black metal gets it's name from being anti-christian, part of that is rebelling against christian society which for the most part is the world or, at least the domineering presence of todays world. Christianity forced people either via physical force or political/government means and eventually took over many old ways, destroyed peoples religions, ways of life and the like - we're lucky any sort of Germanic traditions survived for this long. With religion comes the human drive for power over others, religion is just a tool so, why not fight back by making an alliance with the enemies enemy, it helps those against christianity to be distinguished amongst the masses and show the enemy where one's allegiance lies. The religion thing though, that's only about half of it but, it's a fairly prominent aspect of it all; it's all relative.

If it's just music to you then, so be it, no skin off your back man. What's important is those who do understand and are like minded, striving for the same cause so, it's not really that crucial if would be "outsiders" can't comprehend or agree with the ideology found within black metal.

But, let me ask you something man, I'm just curious. Why do you choose to have a pentagram with Baphomet in it, as your avatar, and why choose to use "666" in your username?
05.12.2009 - 12:25
Slayer666
Written by Bitter Dawn on 04.12.2009 at 17:59

Let's call it an outlet, I how ever did not say any thing about being original. BM is a great facet for expressing certain ideals. I don't particularily want to delve into the early 90's Norwegian scene (especially since I know we've other threads to discuss such matters relentlessly in) but, all the shit that went down back then became the foundation and epitome of the lifestyle. They may have been a bunch of kids at the time but, their actions and innovative music have obviously made a huge impact and thankfully now, people of that mindset are a bit more organized and focused, though I personally feel that in current times it's more talk than action and thankfully (again) we have a few choice musicians that actually apply their ideologies.

Alleged criminal action isn't just cut and dry, people who actually have the conviction to enact upon their beliefs should be respected, so long as their reasoning for doing certain things are valid. It's a majority rules out there, just because a person murders another person doesn't necassarily mean what they did was wrong, it's just not accepted on a social scale in which the person at hand has to deal with a third party (government,society etc.) repercussions. When it all boils down I think it reverts back to the old law of, "An eye for an eye" because, obviously black metal gets it's name from being anti-christian, part of that is rebelling against christian society which for the most part is the world or, at least the domineering presence of todays world. Christianity forced people either via physical force or political/government means and eventually took over many old ways, destroyed peoples religions, ways of life and the like - we're lucky any sort of Germanic traditions survived for this long. With religion comes the human drive for power over others, religion is just a tool so, why not fight back by making an alliance with the enemies enemy, it helps those against christianity to be distinguished amongst the masses and show the enemy where one's allegiance lies. The religion thing though, that's only about half of it but, it's a fairly prominent aspect of it all; it's all relative.

The way you talk about this, a guy would think you are actively seeking to destroy Christianity and soceity by waging war on it, litteraly. But that is not so. All of that is simply empty talk, it doesn't DO anything, nor does it CHANGE anything.
I agree with many, many ideas about religion, mankind and it's society that BM promotes, but it's not because of the music, but because of simple logic. Any idiot can see that the church is just the biggest scam in history that gives certian people power and luxury, if you just think about it a little. You can also recognize all the faults of mankind (of which there is truly an abundance) simply using your brain. You don't need BM to think with your own head, do you?

Quote:

But, let me ask you something man, I'm just curious. Why do you choose to have a pentagram with Baphomet in it, as your avatar, and why choose to use "666" in your username?

Oh, that. No particular reason, I just really like the way it looks and sounds. Cheesy as fuck, I know, but still...
06.12.2009 - 01:08
Bitter Dawn
Ave Sathanas!
Written by Slayer666 on 05.12.2009 at 12:25

The way you talk about this, a guy would think you are actively seeking to destroy Christianity and soceity by waging war on it, litteraly. But that is not so. All of that is simply empty talk, it doesn't DO anything, nor does it CHANGE anything.
I agree with many, many ideas about religion, mankind and it's society that BM promotes, but it's not because of the music, but because of simple logic. Any idiot can see that the church is just the biggest scam in history that gives certian people power and luxury, if you just think about it a little. You can also recognize all the faults of mankind (of which there is truly an abundance) simply using your brain. You don't need BM to think with your own head, do you?

Quote:

Oh, that. No particular reason, I just really like the way it looks and sounds. Cheesy as fuck, I know, but still...

We could debate the millions of christian follows for mere sake of debate as it has certainly been incredibly convincing to many people all over the world. Honestly man, I never felt comfortable with christianity, even as a kid which was probably just because I hated going to church due to is boredom factor but, that's the prime time to suck people in. I would say logic and spirituality are on differant levels though, and even though christianity has a lot of blatant inconsistancies, it still comes down to a matter of spiritual acceptance and "faith".
I haven't ever needed BM to see the falsehood of christianity but, BM has become a great catalyst for people of like minded ideals and values which then turns into the becoming of a way of life, the music created after that is the aftermath and expression of said ideas.

Perhaps you're just not there yet man, maybe that sort of lifestyle just doesn't click or, work for you but, at least you enjoy the music and it extends beyond Dimmu and CoF.
06.12.2009 - 23:21
Slayer666
Written by Bitter Dawn on 06.12.2009 at 01:08

Written by Slayer666 on 05.12.2009 at 12:25

Quote:

We could debate the millions of christian follows for mere sake of debate as it has certainly been incredibly convincing to many people all over the world. Honestly man, I never felt comfortable with christianity, even as a kid which was probably just because I hated going to church due to is boredom factor but, that's the prime time to suck people in. I would say logic and spirituality are on differant levels though, and even though christianity has a lot of blatant inconsistancies, it still comes down to a matter of spiritual acceptance and "faith".
I haven't ever needed BM to see the falsehood of christianity but, BM has become a great catalyst for people of like minded ideals and values which then turns into the becoming of a way of life, the music created after that is the aftermath and expression of said ideas.

Perhaps you're just not there yet man, maybe that sort of lifestyle just doesn't click or, work for you but, at least you enjoy the music and it extends beyond Dimmu and CoF.

I gave up on that crap when I was about 8 or 9. It just seemed too.... unlogical and contradicting to me even then.
This sounds like a conslusion of our discusion.....
23.11.2011 - 02:52
Baz Anderson
Staff
If anyone has any questions for Dimmu Borgir, I should have an interview on Thursday...
PM me any good ones!
23.11.2011 - 13:30
zero
Written by Baz Anderson on 23.11.2011 at 02:52

If anyone has any questions for Dimmu Borgir, I should have an interview on Thursday...
PM me any good ones!

you should ask "why did you kick out the best clean vocalist ever"?
06.02.2012 - 15:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Ooaahoh! ooaahoh! ooaaoh! dimmmuuuu... borgir!

yeah, I really love their self-titled song from the last album , I agree it sounds like a slightly heavier version of Nightwish, but it's awesome and the symphonies are really well used.
06.02.2012 - 19:46
Savopipo
Dimmu Borgir was quite likable back in -96 and -97, after that I don't know what happened.
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
08.02.2012 - 03:18
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 06.02.2012 at 15:44

Ooaahoh! ooaahoh! ooaaoh! dimmmuuuu... borgir!

yeah, I really love their self-titled song from the last album , I agree it sounds like a slightly heavier version of Nightwish, but it's awesome and the symphonies are really well used.

Yes that song is very addictive. It helps that the lyrics are catchy too.
21.02.2012 - 16:43
Robstar
I really like these guys... my favorite song is Mourning Palace and actually I'll be able to see them perform this song live down here in Costa Rica in tour with HAGGARD.... Can't wait
----
Nothing is unreacheable
02.03.2012 - 14:44
thewaytonever
I just choose to ignore the epicly large amounts of garbage that were presented in In Sorte and Abrakadabra but I will never stop listening to the For All Tid to Deathcult Armageddon era of Dimmu alot of win in those years
----
follow me on twitter @thewaytonever
http://www.last.fm/user/thewaytonever
03.03.2012 - 01:43
Savopipo
Written by thewaytonever on 02.03.2012 at 14:44

I just choose to ignore the epicly large amounts of garbage that were presented in In Sorte and Abrakadabra but I will never stop listening to the For All Tid to Deathcult Armageddon era of Dimmu alot of win in those years

I second that! Dimmu Borgir used to be a great outfit and if you stay with the older stuff it's still great .. Abrahadabra????
----
Check Tystnad out at http://tystnad.bandcamp.com
03.12.2012 - 17:28
Ekim Reklaw
Is anyone else real bothered by the fact that Silenoz still can't find his guitar? I know I am.

http://www.bravewords.com/news/189543
03.12.2012 - 19:38
ANGEL REAPER
Yeah somewhere with Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia ends the good stuff that Dimmu released....
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
06.12.2012 - 15:22
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 03.12.2012 at 19:38

Yeah somewhere with Puritanical Euphoric Misanthropia ends the good stuff that Dimmu released....

I loved "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant", and then nothing really caught my ear, until "Abrahadabra" was released. I think it's a very good album. Even though it's completely different, it's good in its own right.
06.12.2012 - 15:25
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Daniell on 06.12.2012 at 15:22

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 03.12.2012 at 19:38

I loved "Enthrone Darkness Triumphant", and then nothing really caught my ear, until "Abrahadabra" was released. I think it's a very good album. Even though it's completely different, it's good in its own right.

well i ignore the later stuff mainly because somehow seem like to artificial to me...i still like the old Dimmu Borgir though
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"