Metal Storm logo
Your Policy On Listening To Satanic Metal

Original post

Posted by , 02.09.2011 - 02:37
I chose option number 4. When I started listening to metal, I was so strict that I stopped listening to Iron Maiden because of TNOTB. But then, especially when I started getting into death metal, I knew I must tolerate it if it's borderline or if it's one line per song. That's the way it goes for me. I listen to bands that blaspheme a little like Cryptopsy and Dismember, but bands like Deicide and Morbid Angel aren't accepted.

Poll

Which is your policy?

I listen to it. I don't read the lyrics.
I listen to it. I'm a fan of satan!
I don't listen to it at all!
I listen to it. I don't like the lyrics.
I listen to borderline stuff.

Total votes: 192
29.12.2014 - 13:55
Infernal Eternal

If the lyrics are creative, sure why not. But if the song is just 5 minutes of nonsense references to Satan then I probably don't listen to the band. Older stuff with nonsense satanic lyrics (Morbid Angel etc.) is good, though.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
30.12.2014 - 21:10
I've no problem with it. It gets a bit dull, to my liking, when it's used in a churchy propagandistic sense - if it is done without thought. But there are plenty of bands who sing about the Christian idea of Satan and do it well too. Bands who are into Satanism for real sing about it in a really uplifting, positive way, and that sits well with me. Bands who sing about Satan in the 'big evil dude with horns' sense get to have lots of lyrics about destruction and evil and what-not, and that's cool too. Both are enjoyable in their own way.
01.01.2015 - 02:01
Ganondox

As long as the lyrics aren't too obnoxious/I don't even know what the lyrics are, I'm fine with it.
01.01.2015 - 22:04
krrrrebets
Account deleted
Don't really care as long as music is good. But I really don't know anything about satanism and very little about major religions too in fact and don't care much about them either. There are definitely more metal subjects like that (Norse mythology for example) which I'm not really relating. And again - if band is good then no problem.
25.01.2015 - 14:18
ToMegaTherion

Frankly I'm more interesting in the quality of the music and lyrics. Regardless of their topic.
Why isn't there and option here that says "I listen to it and enjoy it, I'm not satanic, i think its just a bit of fun and fantasy"
As a staunch atheist, i don't feel strongly on satanic or christian lyrics, on the basis of their topic. What i do concern myself with is the poetic quality, and aesthetic quality of the music. the topic does not matter at all to me.
29.01.2015 - 22:41
flightoficarus
Stamp Tramp
It used to bug me and being raised in a Christian atmosphere, it still pulls some strings at times, but honestly its all good. I see it as an expression of either just an alternative viewpoint that is equally valid as mine, or a means to rebel by being as shocking as possible. Both are fine in my book. Jesus loves the Satanists too.
----
Daily underground metal recommendations at Metal Trenches.
Watch metal content on the Metal Trenches YouTube Channel.
17.02.2015 - 16:22
Jessie J
Account deleted
I listen to it and I listen to the lyrics when they are good, satanic or not, racist or not, whatever its music to me. If I like it that's fine with me.
18.02.2015 - 07:23
Deathmaster

I certainly don't find any of that offensive, if anything as a (Former) Deistic Satanist I (still) enjoy those kinds of lyrics.
----
"While I live let me live deep."-Robert Howard