06. Diamonds And Rust [Joan Baez cover]
07. Victim Of Changes
08. Genocide
09. Tyrant
10. Rock Forever [bonus]
11. Delivering The Goods [bonus]
12. Hell Bent For Leather [bonus]
13. Starbreaker [bonus]

This live-record delivers the goods, indeed it contains some of the best-ever-released versions of Judas Priest's 70's songs. The quality, especially of the remastered version, is very competetive to other live recordings such as 'Iron Maiden's Live After Death'. You can also call it a 'Live-Quasi-Best of the 70's.'

As mentioned above this album contains some of the best-ever released versions, all recorded during the Hell Bent For Leather Tour in Japan. You will find here a fine selection of Judas Priest live tracks, starting off with really the opposite: 'Exciter'. To me one of the worst songs of JP's early years. The second track is one of the highlights: 'Running Wild'. The third song is the not too important 'Sinner' and fourth 'The Ripper'. But following the pearls of this live-record, my absolute live favourites 'The Green Manalishi' and 'Diamonds And Rust' maybe the two greatest live versions ever? but I don't know, you have to decide yourself of course you have to!
Followed by 'Victim Of Changes', 'Genocide' and 'Tyrant', alltogether not the best Judas Priest songs, but they do quite good on this record, which is worth buying even if you only liked my three favourite songs. But you get more, when you take the 'Unleashed In The East' from the Remasters Series. There are 4 Bonus Tracks included: all the same great quality the original part of the cd provides.

So if you like the old Judas Priest stuff, give this album a try, you won't rergret it. The very special thing about this record I guess is the guitar solos. All songs are played a bit faster than on the original albums. The sound is very clear, but lacking a little bit of the live feeling. You can hear and feel the quality of the bands work especially in the solos. I think they sound great. The best solos you find on 'The Green Manalishi', 'Hell Bent For Leather' and 'Starbreaker'. This album is a true proof that the 70's rock!

Written by Pierre Tombale | 17.10.2003

Guest review by
Valentin B
Rating:
To summarize, this is a kick-ass live album. It is a landmark release in metal history, particularly important to the development of early Power, Speed and of course Thrash metal. The performance is note for note, Les Binks plays the groovy rhythms behind the drumkit, Ian Hill is steady like a metronome (and he's at his most audible moment here) and of course who can forget the double guitar attack of Glenn/K.K. but surely the best performance belongs to Rob Halford who now enters his golden age as a vocalist (which in my opinion would end when he left Priest, but that's another story).

Read more ››
published 06.01.2008 | Comments (13)

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 48 users
03.10.2006 - 23:09
Rating: 8
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
Exciter is great. Running wild is great but oh sooo simplistic. Sinner is great. The Ripper is great. Green Manalishi is great. Diamonds and Rust is great. Victiom of Changes is the most well-written on this album, a great semi-ballad. Genoicde and Tyrant are boring and unescesary.
There you have my opinions. Do you care? Probably not. Try not to write out of your own idea of favourite songs. Otherwise good rating and review.
26.11.2006 - 11:42
Rating: 9
Valentin B
Iconoclast
this live album fucking pwns!! the diamonds and rust version is probably the best all time version of the song(to quote ultraboris from metal archives, "with it's intro THRASH riff(i shit you not)"
i don't know the bonus tracks, but how i've heard it it's almost perfect, i rate it a 9. the only track that is slightly boring is tyrant, but hey, almost nothing could have ruined this album!
26.11.2006 - 13:57
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Diamonds and Rust is NOT a Judas Priest song, it is a cover, so considering that a great song or shit song doesn't say a thing about Judas Priest. Btw, the original is by Joan Baez. Oh yeah and The Green Manalishi is also a cover but now the original is by Fleetwood Mac.
Another thing is that although this album is considered as one of the ultimate live albums ever (I also like it btw) it is a well-kept secret that it is actually more or less a studio album with the crowd mixed over it. So not live if you ask me.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.11.2006 - 15:50
Valentin B
Iconoclast
i knew about diamonds and rust, but the green manalishi, not. oh well, it's a wonderful piece of music
26.11.2006 - 15:54
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 26.11.2006 at 15:50

i knew about diamonds and rust, but the green manalishi, not. oh well, it's a wonderful piece of music

Oh yeah I agree that both songs are great the way Judas Priest plays them. Better By You, Better By Me and johnny B. Goode are also covered by them on albums, but according to this site http://www.coversproject.com/artist/judas%20priest those are the only four songs they have covered
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.11.2006 - 16:00
Valentin B
Iconoclast
and they covered many more songs, i presume?
26.11.2006 - 16:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Valentin B on 26.11.2006 at 16:00

I thought they did, but I am not sure
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

26.11.2006 - 17:05
RavenLord

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.11.2006 at 13:57

Diamonds and Rust is NOT a Judas Priest song, it is a cover, so considering that a great song or shit song doesn't say a thing about Judas Priest. Btw, the original is by Joan Baez. Oh yeah and The Green Manalishi is also a cover but now the original is by Fleetwood Mac.
Another thing is that although this album is considered as one of the ultimate live albums ever (I also like it btw) it is a well-kept secret that it is actually more or less a studio album with the crowd mixed over it. So not live if you ask me.

Not quite. The vocals were done in-studio, due to the fact tha Rob Halford's vocals were under-par from the evening on which this album was recorded-all the instruments are live, as are the crowd (the 'tinned audience' sound is a peculiar side-effect of the acoustics of the hall they played in).
----
26.11.2006 - 17:33
Baz Anderson

yes, apparently he had a cold or something - so thats why they 'touched it up' in the studio

i think this is a fantastic live album - possibly my all time favorite single disc live album
the bonus tracks are really really good as well - i dont understand why they werent included on the original

this is kind of like a 'best of' of their 70's albums. so i recommend to anyone who wants to get into them
of coruse there are fantastic songs missed out but that happens with every live album
15.11.2008 - 08:11
Metalbound7

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.11.2006 at 16:04

Written by Valentin B on 26.11.2006 at 16:00

I thought they did, but I am not sure

Diamonds and rust, Race with the Devil, Green Manalishi and Jhonny B Good are the covers Judas Have.
21.07.2015 - 20:59
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 26.11.2006 at 13:57

if its cover, then I will change here in MS ad add C tags ,
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 9083 | This month: 21