02. Malignant
03. Power Trip [live]
04. Cleanstation [live]
05. Severed [live]
06. Eyes Of A Criminal [live]
07. Down Again [live]
08. The Dehumanizing Process [live]
09. Pure Hatred [live]

Most of the new wave of American heavy metal (Lamb Of God, Shadows Fall, As I Lay Dying, etc.) doesn't overly impress me, although I do tend to like it. This self-titled 2005 release by Chimaira is a good album by all accounts. I have never really been a fan of the band until this release. I don't have any of their other albums, but I did hear some songs from the Impossibility Of Reason and they weren't exactly bad, but they weren't good either.

This album is entirely different. There is a much rawer sound here than in the previous albums. One thing that surprised me a little was the fact that Kevin Talley, of Dying Fetus fame, does the drumming on this album. He is one of my favorite drummers, and for good reason. The drumming really helps to take the album to a whole new level. Mark Hunter's vocals are pretty good. His voice has improved and there are less electronics by Chris Spicuzza on this album than the others which takes away the metalcore feel. I don't think Chimaira play metalcore, though.

There are many great leads and solos on this album done by Rob Arnold, and Matt Devries is a good rythym guitarist. For me the standouts of this album are the tracks "Nothing Remains," "Save Ourselves," "Salvation," "Left For Dead," "Everything You Love," "Pray For All," and the amazing "Lazarus." The tracks are all over five minutes long, with the exception of the 4:43 long "Comatose." Two of the tracks pass the seven minute mark.

Mark Hunter did all the lyrics for the album and may I tell you what a lyricist he is. These are lyrics that I can compare to my personal life and in some songs, I find deep meaning.

If you are looking for a decently good NWOAHM album, try this album. I enjoyed, it's too bad that Kevin Talley left though. Chimaira is a good band and they prove that with this release.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 8
Production: 9

Written by spirit_inblack | 04.10.2006

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 80 users
04.10.2006 - 00:28
Rating: 6
spirit_inblack
harshhead
The originality should be lower. I messed up somewhere, sorry.
04.10.2006 - 00:42
Rating: 7
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Pretty good album. I liked it quite a bit when I first got it, but I don't listen to it much anymore. I was surprised to hear guitar solos in every song and I think it's obvious that Kevin Talley juiced them up a tad. However, I wish that some of the songs were faster.

I'd say As I Lay Dying is more metalcore not NWOAHM, but whatever.
06.10.2006 - 18:43
Rating: 8
Xtreme Jax
Psycroptipath
Dont mind this album at all. Although my friend was a little obsessed with it, and until then its only selective listening when playing it.

And I'd agree with pyroleprechaun about the styles ... though who really cares
----

Hellcunt Smurf
06.10.2006 - 21:12
Baz Anderson

i like this album. i like Chimaira
the drums are probably the best bit on the album, but there are lots of good guitar bits too
it is a good album but i think the songs are not so consistent, so attention drifts while listening to it until some good part grabs you again
07.10.2006 - 23:08
Der Meister
Account deleted
Pretty good album. Althought I'd have to agree with pyroleprechaun, some songs could have been more intense if they would have been a bit faster.
03.01.2007 - 13:38
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I first heard this album in a music store, they were playing it in the "metal corner". I would have bought it if it wasn't for the price (like 30$), because it's really outstanding among other "core"/NWOAHM/whatever-bands. Everything you love owns.
29.01.2007 - 13:34
lenesu

nothing remains is a very good song. The rest are good but not brilliant. They sound much better then on the previous CD'S (I'm glad that they dont do metalcore anymore). Not brilliant, but at least is far better then the "Most of the new wave of American heavy metal (Lamb Of God, Shadows Fall, As I Lay Dying, etc.) "
11.02.2007 - 12:41
Rating: 10
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Good album. Not The Impossibility Of Reason, and I like the new one, Resurrection, better already, but still a solid album.

Originaility is good at 8.
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
27.02.2009 - 01:56
terrorist

This is very good album,or better, this is very good thrash album.Those riffs and solos are pure thrash and anyone who says that they didn't had ispiration for this album realy should shut the F.UP!!!!!just listen save ourselfs,the main riff is kicking in the brain!!!!!!!!!!!
----
Will the ones who live after our end
Worship the goddamn cross again?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hnlG0h7YN_8&feature=related
12.07.2011 - 11:12
Rating: 7
thev_manutop

The album is OK...drumming and riffs are good and really make you headbang n stuff...but its not deep and personally the lyrics aren't really great.Almost every song deals about betrayal and revenge and is flooded with taunts and threats. The originality and songwriting shud be lower, performance higher
20.05.2023 - 12:51
Pinchejosh

This album is absolutely fire. From start to finish it's pummeling. Rob Arnold really upped his guitar game especially solos. Songs are long but the pay off is the drumming and those nasty guitar solos

Hits total: 5264 | This month: 9