03. We Drink Your Blood
04. Murder At Midnight
05. All We Need Is Blood
06. Dead Boys Don't Cry
07. Son Of A Wolf
08. Night Of The Werewolves
09. Phantom Of The Funeral
10. Die, Die, Crucified
11. Ira Sancti (When The Saints Are Going Wild)

Damn, damn, damn. Talk about a schizophrenic reaction to music...I was really stoked on hating this. In fact, even as I sit and listen to it, something in my brain is telling me I should hate this...but I have to admit, this is actually pretty solid.

So it's as cheesy as one band can get, that's already established. Much like listening to a Meat Loaf record, despite the overwhelming sense of second-hand embarrassment at the sheer goofiness flying every-which-way, you gotta hand it to the artists; they got the chops. Unlike Meat Loaf, however, this is actually listenable for longer than a 2-song stretch. This is thick, dark epic power metal with a healthy dose of self-parody from time to time.

It's another one of those "bags of sugar" albums, unfortunately. The first few spoonfuls are delicious, but before you know it you've wound up in a diabetic coma. Luckily Powerwolf make the most of the organs, choirs and such, so the sugar overdose is late coming. It's reminiscent of the grandest should-be holiday of the year; Halloween (aside from just the horror-type feel to it). It's fun for a good period of time; the atmosphere of campy horror films, cheap, smashable plastic lawn ornaments, candy, slutty costumes...Then you wake up on the other side of the city on November 1st wearing a ridiculous Captain Planet costume, which is now covered in Heineken-and-tootsie-pop vomit. The point being, Blood Of The Saints is an absolutely fantastic listen in small doses, just don't expect it to be one of those "I-won't-get-it-on-first-listen-because-of-how-intellectual-it-is" albums.

Written on 12.09.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 19   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 437 users
12.09.2011 - 10:13
Rating: 8
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Irritable Ted on 12.09.2011 at 10:09

What is a "tootsie pop"?

It's a type of candy. They're delicious...It's like a regular lollypop on the outside, but the center layer is like some sort of gum.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.09.2011 - 12:59
Rating: 3
enumaelis

I prefer the previous, I got pretty bored with this one
----
http://enumaelis.blogspot.com/
12.09.2011 - 14:55
Hellbrann

Inferior to Bible Of The Beast, yet a really fun album. But they need something new for the next album, I don't want Powerwolf to receive a membershipcard to the generic-album-after-album-the-same-club.
----
Druantia | Folk metal
12.09.2011 - 15:58
Ivor
Staff
I think you nailed it pretty well. Pretty excellent in small doses. Even I liked this stuff. If you listen to it again too soon, though, you'll start to hate it.

I.
----
No friends for playing games
No foes who scorn my name
Computerized machines of steel and rust
/---/
No friends in my house on Mars
No foes in my house on Mars
I was born in my house on Mars
I will die in my house on Mars
-- Ayreon - My House on Mars
12.09.2011 - 16:15
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
"The point being, Blood Of The Saints is an absolutely fantastic listen in small doses"

Agreed!

Power Metal generally encapsulates about "Fight" "War" "Peace" and etc etc...this album wasn't the exception with something different but what i like about this album it was very different from the previous work and I like the vocals in some of the songs too. (:
12.09.2011 - 22:28
Rating: 10
Donnie Darko

Im a wolf of Armenia....Powerwolf rules!!!
12.09.2011 - 23:39
Fat & Sassy!

HEY. D:<

I listen to Meat Loaf albums ALL THE WAY THROUGH with MAXIMUM ENJOYMENT, cus I'm a loser like that. ^~^
13.09.2011 - 00:00
Mattybu

Captain Planet! I remember him had a chuckle when the picture opened up.
13.09.2011 - 01:25
Rating: 9
AXA

I like this album very much i hear it many time
13.09.2011 - 02:54
Rating: 9
Jason W.
Razorbliss
While I can easily see why many people will also have the same feelings toward the album, I instead am thoroughly enthusiastic about it no matter how much I hear it It's gained numerous multiple play sessions from me, particularly with the orchestral versions intermixed. This album is some of the most fun I've had listening to music in a long while!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
13.09.2011 - 02:59
bluegreengod
Account deleted
Why would anybody actually want to hate an album? It seems like it's a good thing when a metal band (I've never heard of powerwolf, but would assume they're at least somewhat metal) makes music that sounds good.
I'll have to check this one out.
13.09.2011 - 17:43
BloodFireDeath

"I-won't-get-it-on-first-listen-because-of-how-intellectual-it-is" albums.

This line cracked me up because you are so right. Also the whole "november 1st" comment mad me laugh
----
Goodspeed on the Devils Thunder
18.09.2011 - 03:51
dalamar2007
Account deleted
I like this album specially the song All We Need Is Blood. :-)
18.09.2011 - 07:18
RavenKing

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.09.2011 at 23:39

I listen to Meat Loaf albums ALL THE WAY THROUGH with MAXIMUM ENJOYMENT, cus I'm a loser like that. ^~^

I'd listen to any of the 3 "Bat Out Of Hell" albums over this kind of shitty cheesemetal any day.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
18.09.2011 - 19:37
renebakx1963

Live does this album rocks the crowd.
19.09.2011 - 23:55
Fat & Sassy!

Written by RavenKing on 18.09.2011 at 07:18

Written by Fat & Sassy! on 12.09.2011 at 23:39

I'd listen to any of the 3 "Bat Out Of Hell" albums over this kind of shitty cheesemetal any day.

Or like, even two of those albums, cus I mean... Two outta three ain't bad. Y'know?
01.02.2012 - 02:41
mario132

My best power metal band from 2011. Can feel Running Wild spirit which is even better.
18.05.2012 - 09:54
Prinz_Dracul_II

Best this year!

ps. Running Rolf is dead, long live Powerwolf!
Hard to say, but true!
06.04.2016 - 18:30
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Written by mario132 on 01.02.2012 at 02:41

My best power metal band from 2011. Can feel Running Wild spirit which is even better.

RW is not power but heavy
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing

Hits total: 9289 | This month: 16