12. Derivation TSB [Japanese bonus]
13. Endless Feed (Chaos Seed Remix) [Japanese bonus]

Disc II [digipack]
01. Damage Done [Live in Korea]
02. The Wonders At Your Feet [Live in Korea]
03. Final Resistance [Live in Korea]
04. The Treason Wall [Live in Korea]
+ Lost To Apathy [video]

It's already been three years since the last ravages of the Gothenburg gods. Meanwhile, they've released their first DVD Live Damage, a compilation for their fifteenth anniversary, Exposures and they've re-signed with Century Media. In other words, it's been a busy break. But it's also been a frustrating break, since Character was recorded and mixed more than one year ago. However, due to the time needed to choose a label, they've not been able to release it until now. Believe me now, the fans are going to be very pleased by the new album, just like I am.

I don't think I'm being over-enthusiastic when I say that Character stands among their two or three best albums. To give you an idea of the contents of this album, I can say it mixes most of what they've done from The Mind's I up to Damage Done. The first two songs resemble a lot what Dark Tranquillity released ten years ago. Especially the opener 'The New Build', with its blast-beaten introduction and its riffs typical of Swedish extreme metal of the mid-90's. 'Through Smudged Lenses' shows a mix between this old period and some more modern electro/atmospheric elements. This is one of the tracks that sound like the latest album. 'The Endless Feed', more progressive, more experimental, points out an interesting new direction for the future. The single 'Lost To Apathy' and its chorus a la 'Monochromatic Stains' is by itself a perfect description of everything this album offers: a melting-pot of melodies, very heavy riffs, fast passages battling against tempo changes, and subtle but useful arrangements. There's also the great and furious 'Dry Run' or the magnificent melodic closing track 'My Negation', which uses tunes I hadn't heard for long in Dark Tranquillity. The chorus is particularly beautiful and emotionally strong, like what they used to do on The Mind's I or even Projector. I could go on and on with every song, but that would not be very interesting nor useful.

The changes not only occur in the melodies, but also, in a more subtle way, in the musicianship and the sound. For example, Martin Brandström's keyboards are not here only to create atmospheres anymore; their purpose now is to strengthen the aura of imposing power that surrounds Character. Also the production has been boosted: the guitars sound clearer and heavier than ever, the drums are damn aggressive and the whole album exhales anger and violence. Mikael Stanne worked a lot on his vocals as well. He's now singing in a black/death way, and his growls are surprisingly impressive. Add to this great lyrics, new melodic elements like piano parts in the background and you get an album that sounds fresh and new despite going back to the roots, an album that has the indelible mark of Dark Tranquillity stamped all over it. And what about the futuristic cover drawn by Niklas Sundin himself? Just great, as always.

I think this dithyrambic review gave you a clue: Character is a must-have. Dark Tranquillity continue their evolution towards the skies, and it seems nothing and nobody will stop them. This is Swedish metal at its best.

Highlights: Lost To Apathy, The Endless Feed, Dry Run, My Negation, One Thought

Written by Deadsoulman | 31.01.2005

Comments

Comments: 23   Visited by: 266 users
04.10.2006 - 10:09
RazorOfTheLight
Account deleted
This is music that will define classic melodic death of 2005. What a brilliant CD. It's pretty creative and whatnot and each song is a masterpeice in its own way. Our times has'nt diminished the flame that is Dark Tranquility! I enjoy their progression musically and can only hope it follows such a path.
07.10.2006 - 03:16
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
A well explained review imo, it encompasses everything that character is, well done indeed.
11.12.2006 - 14:03
gojko88

A very good album indeed, but after listening the album through, I got the impression that the keyboards are overused, whereas guitar work may sound too simple at times. It is nothing that bad, it's just that I think their sound is better when the guitars lead the song and keyboards create the atmosphere here and there instead of being a lead instrument.
14.12.2006 - 17:51
Shadow Of A Man
Account deleted
great album great review... Dark Tranquillity never seize ot amaze me one of my favorite bands and every release is amazing
27.12.2006 - 23:01
Opium Magnet
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 14.12.2006 at 17:51

great album great review... Dark Tranquillity never seize ot amaze me one of my favorite bands and every release is amazing

Don't you mean never CEASE to amaze?
01.03.2007 - 20:07
Bitch Boy

I fully agree with this review: while they take some elements from earlier works (for example those riffs in "The New Build") they were also using new stuff. Maybe this is my Dark Tranquillity's favorite.
02.04.2007 - 08:49
Rating: 10
Danny Thomas

few cd's have sucked me in like this one does. i'll put it on when im driving at night and when it ends i'll just sort of snap out of it and realise that i just drove so many odd miles and didnt even notice, its that powerful. probably my favorite dark tranquillity cd actually. its rare that i want to lsiten to a cd from begging to end everytime, but this is just one of those amazing cd's
----
Our children are dead. Burnt in the ruins that were left by war.
11.04.2007 - 09:07
Rating: 7
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I recently got this album in a trade and I must say its very good, I originally bought 'The Gallery' and that album bored the hell out of me (with the exception of the Merciful fate cover and the opening track), but since I was getting this album pretty much for free I had nothing to lose, and it surprised me, this a truly great album now that ive heard it I would gladly buy this album full price.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
10.05.2007 - 00:46
KrystDopey
Account deleted
although i love everything Dark Tranquillity does i consider this album weaker than their previous effort Damage Done.
07.01.2008 - 12:20
BloodTears
ANA-thema
I'm surprised "Character" isnt considered one of the best albums of all time here in MS. Their best album, every song is absolutely stunning and the lyrics are as brilliant as never before with DT in my opinion. Its powerful musically. Can't complain about stanne's voice either.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
07.01.2008 - 15:42
Rating: 9
Warman
Erotic Stains
My Negation will always be their best song, always! Overall it's one of their best releases, probably their third best. Great review too.
----
16.05.2008 - 15:21
Passenger
Lost To Apathy
Can a band be consistently brilliant, for over 10 years? Apparently yes. This album, just another perfect piece of MeloDeath, by one of the best Metal bands ever
----
You don't make up for your sins in church. You do it in the streets. You do it at home. The rest is bullshit and you know it ~ Mean Streets
03.11.2008 - 14:21
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Very good album from a great band. With a better production it would touch 10. To me also last 4-5 songs are not as strong as the first 5-6.
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
23.01.2009 - 20:17
Black_Sheep

I think this album is underrated. It's really good, awesome album. I would give it 8
----
"Reality is almost always wrong."
26.02.2009 - 16:23
ms68

Written by Black_Sheep on 23.01.2009 at 20:17

I think this album is underrated. It's really good, awesome album. I would give it 8

It's really good, awesome album then u rate it 8????? u r real sheep. this is why this masterpiece is not in ms top 100. if u think an album sounds awesome u should rate it 10
----
The more you eat, the more you shit
No matter what you eat, it all turns to shit
12.06.2009 - 00:25
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Good album, ^^ My favorites on the album are The Endless Feed, Am I 1? and Mind Matters. All the songs are good though. The lyrics and keyboards on the Endless feed are incredible though!

The only song which I really dont like that much is Out of Nothing. The lyrics are just kind of stupid on it, "How does it feel to be out of nothing?!" Well... I'm not out of anything... so... good? Maybe I just dont understand the lyrics fully. lol
12.06.2009 - 09:53
Deadmeat
Necrobutcher
Written by WorpeX on 12.06.2009 at 00:25

Good album, ^^ My favorites on the album are The Endless Feed, Am I 1? and Mind Matters. All the songs are good though. The lyrics and keyboards on the Endless feed are incredible though!

The only song which I really dont like that much is Out of Nothing. The lyrics are just kind of stupid on it, "How does it feel to be out of nothing?!" Well... I'm not out of anything... so... good? Maybe I just dont understand the lyrics fully. lol

DT have some really strange lyrics.. i don't understand some of them either!!
----
Υou've sold your human essence to the cold world of dead and empty things... You're SOLD!
18.08.2009 - 15:33
Solstafir!

Another great album from the Gothenburg masters!
"Lost to Apathy" and "Mind Matters" is a constant on my playlist...
07.11.2009 - 19:52
SatyriconChick

This album is amazing and is my favorite by Dark Tranquillity.
13.03.2010 - 06:41
Builtforsin88

One of the first melo death albums i bought. Couldn't have made a better choice.
25.04.2010 - 15:32
Rating: 8
I_Die_Often

My first and only DT cd so far, really like it!
I will have to check out others!
----
Old enough to be your Daddy... speaking of which... you look familiar... do I know your mother???
24.01.2011 - 21:17
serega25

I like it so much!!!
01.06.2011 - 06:53
m3ta1he4d

Mind Matters. great guitar solos.. \,,/

Hits total: 12858 | This month: 8