03. The Gathering Of The Clouds
04. Lightning Song
05. Sunlight
06. The Storm Before The Calm
07. The Beginning And The End
08. The Lost Child
09. Internal Landscapes

Additional info
Produced, engineered and mixed by Christer-André Cederberg. Co-produced by Vincent & Daniel Cavanagh.
Assistant recording engineer - Andrea Wright.

Recorded at Parr Street Studios in Liverpool, Aerial Studios in Wrexham and at Christer's place in Oslo.
Mixed at Christer's place. Mastered by Chris Sansom at Propeller Mastering, Oslo.

All string arrangements by Dave Stewart except The Storm Before The Calm - by Vincent Cavanagh & Dave Stewart.
Performed by the London Session orchestra.
Leader: Perry Montague-Mason.
Session fixer: Isobel Griffiths.
Strings produced by Dave Stewart, recorded by Steve Price at Angel Studios, London.

Art, design and layout by Vincent Cavanagh & Sarah Derat, assisted by Scott.

Internal Landscapes is dedicated to William Cavanagh.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
Liverpool, United Kingdom. In the distance the gathering of the clouds dims the sunlight, an omen of an impending rainstorm. In the beginning there was lightning, and in the end a drenched landscape.

Needless to say that whatever kind of rock featured on Weather Systems is literally miles away from Anathema's death/doom sound of decades past. But then again it is no less riveting. Spellbinding is more like it. Once more the Cavanagh brothers manage to fascinate me with their ability to write beautiful music. Be warned though that there is very little variation in the formula that was presented on its predecessor We're Here Because We're Here.

Read more ››
published 29.06.2012 | Comments (20)

Found in 67 lists
Top lists

Comments page 3 / 5

Comments: 129   Visited by: 1539 users
01.05.2012 - 11:21
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Ugh... I'm torn right now. It's an alright enough album, but the female vocals remind of a country ballad sometimes. It is horrific when it happens. Going to wait to give it more of a chance to rate it.

Who is that female singer?
01.05.2012 - 17:33
Rating: 8
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Introspekrieg on 01.05.2012 at 11:21

Ugh... I'm torn right now. It's an alright enough album, but the female vocals remind of a country ballad sometimes. It is horrific when it happens. Going to wait to give it more of a chance to rate it.

She's Anneke Van Giersbergen from The Gathering fame, I liked her voice a lot and it's this "country ballad" feeling that appealed to me
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
01.05.2012 - 18:43
Rating: 7
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by InnerSelf on 01.05.2012 at 17:33

She's Anneke Van Giersbergen from The Gathering

Really? I thought it would have been Lee Douglas... Considering that she's Anathema's female singer.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.05.2012 - 20:42
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.05.2012 at 18:43

Really? I thought it would have been Lee Douglas... Considering that she's Anathema's female singer.

Of course it's Lee, just listen to the vocals unless Anneke participated in some song, but I don't hear her voice at all.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
01.05.2012 - 23:30
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by X-Ray Rod on 01.05.2012 at 18:43

I don't know why I answered the question in the first place considering I have no clue about who is singing, but I remember that Anneke did some guest vocals for them so I jumped to the awful conclusion that she is the singer -_-
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
02.05.2012 - 03:55
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Yeah no way is that Anneke... her voice can do no wrong in my ears.
06.05.2012 - 14:06
Rating: 9
SceneryOfLoss

It's Lee Douglas, Anneke doesn't sing in this album.
06.05.2012 - 19:04
PocketMetal

the female vocals made me like it even more , it was time for Lee Douglas to show her skills . glad I haven't heard many country ballads .
07.05.2012 - 09:08
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by PocketMetal on 06.05.2012 at 19:04

the female vocals made me like it even more , it was time for Lee Douglas to show her skills . glad I haven't heard many country ballads .

This album has had quite an impression on me, I still cannot figure it out, but I really love it. There is something truly special behind it, maybe in the energy and passion put into it as a whole, but my view has really changed. Sometimes it's just a time and a place, but I feel that this album is really important in my life at this moment. Lee Douglas has an angelic voice, I'm not sure why I was so opposed to it at first.
07.05.2012 - 17:04
PocketMetal

Written by Introspekrieg on 07.05.2012 at 09:08

This album has had quite an impression on me, I still cannot figure it out, but I really love it. There is something truly special behind it, maybe in the energy and passion put into it as a whole, but my view has really changed. Sometimes it's just a time and a place, but I feel that this album is really important in my life at this moment. Lee Douglas has an angelic voice, I'm not sure why I was so opposed to it at first.

I'm glad you feel this way , and nice to see it found its way to "The List" I really like "Weather Systems" but it makes me feel very sad for some personal reasons ( I know it is uplifting but not for me ) .

EDIT : be sure to check "Parisienne Moonlight " from Judgement album , Lee Douglas rules !
07.05.2012 - 20:15
Rating: 10
ravendeath

08.05.2012 - 09:03
Rating: 10
EW

Written by ravendeath on 07.05.2012 at 20:15

Check out my review of album http://terrarelicta.com/index.php/reviews/all-reviews/153-anathema-weather-systems-cd-2012 , anyway beautiful album...

Good review!
09.05.2012 - 12:19
NocturnalStalker
Metal Addict
Once again (as it was with "We're Here Because We're Here") I fall into the same trap - after listening to Untouchable I was positive that it's gonna be one of my favourite albums this year. I was wrong. This album is good but not brilliant, in my opinion.
Maybe after some more listens I will change my mind, but it seems unlikely.
----
"And we are not who we think we are
We are who we're afraid to be"
- Lux Occulta "The Opening of Eleventh Sephirah"
09.05.2012 - 17:59
IyadAbbas

Its really buuuuuuuuuuulll shitttttttt ,,,, a fine day to exit was boring but really more active than this garbage
10.05.2012 - 01:07
Rating: 7
Slyfang

Loved (almost) all their previous albums, but this just doesn't have the same effect
10.05.2012 - 15:51
IronAngel

Not sure about this yet. I'm not disappointed, but I'm not blown away like I was with the first half of WHBWH, either. Gotta give it more listens, I don't remember what most of the songs sound like. Guaranteed Anathema quality, and a unique new take at their style as always (this band has seriously never released two albums in the same style), but probably not a stand-out in their discography.
18.05.2012 - 19:42
omjaimes
omjaimes
Brillant album, atmospheric is the right word to define it, is like a skygaze in a mountain ... watching and hearing the rain, looking the clouds motion and leaf vibes... and obiously thinking in love, awaking to a better foresight of life. Musically, it has beautiful arpeggios and a very emotional melodies adorned with precise strings and as always singing with deep emotions.
21.05.2012 - 03:09
Rating: 6
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I tried again... but no, I keep wanting to stop it after a few songs. I can get it's not a bad record though, I would rate it lower otherwise.
24.05.2012 - 22:09
Rating: 5
Glabrezu

Is this really from Anathema??
----
Exploring life
Without fear without feeling
I am one with my torment
And forever blind
26.05.2012 - 19:35
doomarc

Written by Glabrezu on 24.05.2012 at 22:09

Is this really from Anathema??

Why did you surprise like that they've always been changing for years.
29.05.2012 - 14:38
Rating: 5
Zombie94

I can understand why people would like this. However as hard as I've tried, I can't ignore the whole "ooohh I love you but I have to let you go" theme of the lyrics. And as for the vocals: I'm picky about vocals as it is, and one thing that tends to get on my nerves is overly soft/feminine vocals. I'm not sexist, I just tend to not find the tone of the female voice aesthetically pleasing in music (Som from Cerebral Bore being an exception). It's frustrating these things get in the way because I feel the album builds some really nice atmosphere towards the end. Alas, the lyrics and female singing are just too much of a distraction for me! Much like Dream Theater, I'd enjoy a purely instrumental album more.
30.05.2012 - 17:03
kaspair

The Lost Child, wow...
----
Last FM
30.05.2012 - 19:32
Cal Wolvington
Account deleted
This album, just like pretty much everything they've done after Judgement, is more beautiful than it is interesting. Still, I can enjoy this stuff too, so I guess it's a 7 from me.
08.06.2012 - 02:57
John Shock

You guys just don't understand the love feeling of this songs don't you? This is a lovely album made with care and soft-touch...You can't ignore the beauty of this album!
08.06.2012 - 03:28
Rating: 6
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by John Shock on 08.06.2012 at 02:57

You guys just don't understand the love feeling of this songs don't you?

I probably I did, and that could be the problem.
08.06.2012 - 03:44
John Shock

Written by Unhealer on 08.06.2012 at 03:28

Written by John Shock on 08.06.2012 at 02:57

You guys just don't understand the love feeling of this songs don't you?

I probably I did, and that could be the problem.

It's like a bit of tastes here...i would prefer that they could continue to do amazing and lovely songs like this every possible future albuns, and you certainly not!
08.06.2012 - 04:53
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Even if you understand the "beauty" of this album or whatever it doesn't mean you'll inherently like it.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
16.06.2012 - 22:39
garmling
Account deleted
Two months passed and I can honestly say, this is the album of the year!
21.06.2012 - 01:25
tea[m]ster
Au Pays Natal
Well, I've spun this a couple of times now. I don't like it as much as the last album but it's still enjoyable. I think the overall sound is enhanced a bit more than the last album too, nice.
----
rekt
21.06.2012 - 01:32
IronAngel

I still haven't made up my mind. It's probably a bad sign that I haven't even bothered to listen to the album more than half a dozen times. Granted, I have a lot of other stuff on my plate, but you'd think I would want to make time for one my long-time favorites.

I'll take it along to our summer house tomorrow. Three days without computer, just a bunch of physical CDs I have neglected. I would have internet access and a laptop, but I think it's nice to take a bit of a break and use the opportunity to rediscover the joy of a limited selection.

Hits total: 38290 | This month: 53