Style: Experimental black metal

Owners:

44 have it
15 want it

01. Sonderkommando
02. Wishing Well Of Bones
03. Aktion T4
04. Silent Ghosts Of Babi Yar
05. Children Of The Sunwheel Banner (Part 1)
06. Children Of The Sunwheel Banner (Part 2)
07. Lamenting Weaver Of Horror
08. Sins Of The Pharaohs
09. Last Train To Eden
10. Hourglass Of Ash
11. The Mussulmans Wander Through The Infernal Whirling Fires Amongst Silent Shadows To Be Fed Into The Thirsting Jaws Of A Godless Death Machine To Cough Up Their Souls To The Nazi Moloch Who Sits Within A Ring Of Smoking Infant Skulls
12. Send My Love To Maher-Shalal-Hash-Baz

Staff review by
Auntie Sahar
Rating:
N/A
If you know your WWII history, or have read Metatron's highly enlightening essay on the concept behind Sonderkommando on The Meads Of Asphodel website, you'd know that the "Sonderkommando" of this album's title were Jewish prisoners who worked concentration camps during the war in return for special privileges, most specifically an extension of their persecution date. Hauntingly artistic and intentionally thought-provoking as usual, the band's fifth full album continues with the usual Jewish/Middle Eastern themes they've more or less become known for. Only this time, the topic isn't some far-gone Israel or Semitic land of yesterday, but a more contemporary, relatable event that is still deeply scarred into our global memory. This is a black metal interpretation of the Holocaust, The Meads Of Asphodel style.

Read more ››
published 28.05.2013 | Comments (13)

Staff pick by
Account deleted
Quite clearly a band with no interest in pandering to the the naysayers who never wrapped their noggins around them, Sonderkommando brings The Meads Of Asphodel back to their most abstruse. Gone is most of the whimsy and the euphoric melodies of The Murder of Jesus the Jew, here we see them at their darkest, murkiest and most nuanced. Many accuse them of "stirring the shit" with regard to their lyrical content and imagery, but that's something you should most certainly read about yourself before throwing any stones.

!J.O.O.E.!'s picks | More picks ››

Found in 21 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 37   Visited by: 392 users
16.09.2011 - 02:42
Chainer
Witch Hunter Gen
If the previous album is any indication, this should be a solid, albeit quirky, release. Really dig their sound, hopefully this will be a fitting soundtrack for the end of the world.
----
Written by Dangerboner on 02.11.2009 at 08:11

Everything he doesn't like is metalcore. Britney Spears, Elton John, Michael Moore, and green beans are also metalcore, in case you guys didn't know.
25.08.2012 - 19:55
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
FUCKING WANT.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
26.08.2012 - 00:40
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Coming out in september? why the hell i dont know?
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.02.2013 - 12:50
Vombatus
Potorro
21.02.2013 - 14:41
Ellrohir
Heaven Knight
Metatron's word can be taken and put as an intro to the album
----
My rest seems now calm and deep
Finally I got my dead man sleep

21.03.2013 - 17:22
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
This album cannot come soon enough.
01.04.2013 - 03:56
musicalkaratekid
Pre-ordered it just now. Cannot wait.
10.04.2013 - 18:10
Rating: 9
Demerzel
It's okayish, I guess.
10.04.2013 - 18:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Demerzel on 10.04.2013 at 18:10

It's okayish, I guess.

yet rates it a 9
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.04.2013 - 18:16
Demerzel
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 10.04.2013 at 18:12

Written by Demerzel on 10.04.2013 at 18:10

It's okayish, I guess.

yet rates it a 9

It was supposed to be sarcastic. I failed miserably.
To be more direct: AOTY material right here.
10.04.2013 - 18:17
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by Demerzel on 10.04.2013 at 18:16

It was supposed to be sarcastic. I failed miserably.
To be more direct: AOTY material right here.

okay, that explains it
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

10.04.2013 - 18:22
Vombatus
Potorro
So it seems it is finally out judging by all the reviews that started to fly around the net.... with a mixed reception. Can't expect less with the Meads, needs to listens naws !
10.04.2013 - 18:56
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
The reviews I've read say that it's classic Mead just more focussed.
13.04.2013 - 13:14
Rating: 8
Paz
elite
Unfortunately not the same level of greatness as TMoJtJ and an EP, but I'm not disappointed. Quality stuff again by Meads. If I had to pick one song it would be "Children Of The Sunwheel Banner (Part 2)" with cool ending keys by Mirai (it can't be anyone else).
13.04.2013 - 19:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Surprised by how muddy the production is to this. The previous record was crystal clear but this has a bassy wall to it. I don't think it's a bad thing necessarily either, just means it going to take a few rounds to properly acclimate. Songwriting this time round is darker and less playful; far fewer euphoric harmonies and solos, but despite this every song offers surprises and elements I've not heard before from this band. Of course this is going only on the first 6 tracks.
15.04.2013 - 00:18
Rating: 6
mz
Sorry if its irrelevant, what's the best Meads album to start with?
----
Giving my ears a rest from music.
16.04.2013 - 17:58
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 15.04.2013 at 00:18

Hard to say really. Murder of Jesus the Jew is my favourite full length (but even that loses out to the Welcome To Planet Genocide EP) but it's also probably their easiest to listen to record. Damascus Steel is a pretty good summing up of their sound too but lacks many of the flourishes of stuff after it (not in a bad way though, just a bit more direct and straightforward).

Sod it, go for Welcome to Planet Genocide. It's short and contains everything that makes the band so great (while the album length is technically 55 minutes the last track. which clocks in at half an hour, is mostly silence).
16.04.2013 - 20:38
mz
Written by Guest on 16.04.2013 at 17:58

Written by mz on 15.04.2013 at 00:18

Hard to say really. Murder of Jesus the Jew is my favourite full length (but even that loses out to the Welcome To Planet Genocide EP) but it's also probably their easiest to listen to record. Damascus Steel is a pretty good summing up of their sound too but lacks many of the flourishes of stuff after it (not in a bad way though, just a bit more direct and straightforward).

Sod it, go for Welcome to Planet Genocide. It's short and contains everything that makes the band so great (while the album length is technically 55 minutes the last track. which clocks in at half an hour, is mostly silence).

Thank you, I knew that I could count on you . I found out that I have Murder of Jesus the Jew in my laptop and will sure listen to it after finishing final university project. Also Welcome to Planet Genocide seems very interesting considering your comment and Jup's review. I will dl that asap.
Again, tnx
----
16.04.2013 - 20:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by mz on 16.04.2013 at 20:38

Thank you, I knew that I could count on you . I found out that I have Murder of Jesus the Jew in my laptop and will sure listen to it after finishing final university project. Also Welcome to Planet Genocide seems very interesting considering your comment and Jup's review. I will dl that asap.
Again, tnx

Cool, yeah if you like TMOJTJ you'll like Welcome to Planet Genocide and vice-versa. If you don't like either then this band might not be for you
22.04.2013 - 00:31
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Really loving this album right now. it's clicked a lot more then the last one.
----
Coldgrits
10.06.2013 - 14:56
Qube
Finally on my first listen for this... I love how it makes me go either "WTF" or "holy hell" on each track.
13.06.2013 - 01:50
IronAngel
Enjoying this album more with each spin, to be honest. I am not sold on the production, but it might grow on me to be the BM AOTY yet.
30.07.2013 - 18:54
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
I like the part where Death tells the boy that HE'S FUCKING DEAAAAAD and then takes a flute and plays a peruvian metal song. Oh, and the tango bit near the end of the album, even Argentinian metal bands don't do that.
Interesting album, took me a bit of time to get it.
29.10.2013 - 02:55
carltonh
This is the first I've heard of this band, and I notice a very obvious Pink Floyd style, sound, and production especially Dark Side of the Moon into the metal mix. I'm impressed.
01.12.2013 - 21:47
mz
The first half of title track could be easily taken from a Phideaux record.
Good album but not as excellent as their previous one I guess.
----
03.12.2013 - 05:51
spirit_inblack
harshhead
I'm not even remotely a stickler when it comes to production, but damn, it is slightly annoying/detracting here.
03.12.2013 - 12:47
mz
Written by spirit_inblack on 03.12.2013 at 05:51

I'm not even remotely a stickler when it comes to production, but damn, it is slightly annoying/detracting here.

I don't consider it annoying. It fits the songwriting I think.
----
21.01.2014 - 04:43
The Mussulmans Wander Through The Infernal Whirling Fires Amongst Silent Shadows To Be Fed Into The Thirsting Jaws Of A Godless Death Machine To Cough Up Their Souls To The Nazi Moloch Who Sits Within A Ring Of Smoking Infant Skulls

havent heard this yet but best song title of the year so far!
17.05.2014 - 02:35
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Such a good album. I pretty much take back my comments about the production, I'm perfectly fine with it.
02.08.2014 - 20:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Too lazy to Google it from my phone, but does any one know who does the primary clean vocals on this? They always remind me of Lou Reed. Kinda hoping they're in another band.

The title track has to be one of the most complete songs the band had ever done. Amazing stuff.

Hits total: 16572 | This month: 29