02. Behind The Mirrors
03. Cast Into Fields Of Evil Pleasure
04. Temporary Borders
05. The Creators Biggest Pride
06. Gloomy Gathering
07. Bring Down The Witching Hour
08. By The Hands Of Violent Winter
09. Frozen Constellations

I've have to admit that when I received this Cd the first thing I did was stare a long time to the cover art, it's just gorgeous! The booklet, the Disc, the presentation is flawless, courtesy of Wilhelm Steiner [www.deaddreamer.com] , Hey! This case also contains? music!? cool? [I forgot for a moment]

So, after I put the Cd case away to avoid distractions, I began listening this "Cast Into Fields Of Evil Pleasure", the question popped in my mind, "I hope it sounds as good as it looks".

First track. No intros, no 2 minutes time-wasters full synthesizer sounds; just pure Melodic Black Metal assault, "Setite" is a great opener, full of speed, tempo changes and excellent double bass play. Next is "Behind The Mirror" the vocals reminds me of Jeff Walker of Carcass, "Cast Into Fields of Evil Pleasure" follows, and is one of the best songs of this album, starts at full speed, and then incorporates elements like female vocals, spoken words, melodic soloing, great keyboard, this song has it all!

As the record goes on, we discover more killing songs! "Temporary borders", a nice black metal "Ballad" with a nice piano all trough the song, "Bring Down The Witching hour" another song, another black metal classic.

I'm going to be sincere here, I really like this band, but the inspirations are clear, Narrenschiff, the vocalist, has a great voice, but at times he tries too hard to sound like Dani Filth, he should try to differentiate from other vocalists, he has the ability, now he have to create a differential advantage, to shine among others in this over-crowded genre as black metal.

I'm going to mention the major influences of this band , Cradle Of Filth, it has all the elements that this band uses, guttural voice, shriek, spoken passages, predominance of keyboards, female vocals, tempo variations, etc.

Despite this, "Cast Into Field of Evil Pleasure" is an amazing album, it has elements that hundred of bands uses, but it still manages to sound new and refreshing. So did it sounded as good as it looked? Yes it did.

Written by Undercraft | 02.10.2003

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 78 users
04.10.2006 - 22:17
RazorOfTheLight
Account deleted
I was never to fond of Cradle Of Filth but its obviously the inspiration behind Illnath. Although they take the concept to the next echelon, one where each song is a masterpeice. Unlike the COF counterpart where I often found myself bored of the songs and lack of something else. Well this band has it all... Not to forget the great guitar solo's! This band should just succeed COF because they obviously know what they're doing.
Whether you liked COF or not you should atleast give this band a chance. The new CD is great as well. This is the "Eternal Tears Of Sorrow" of Symphonich Melodic Black Metal!
13.10.2006 - 21:51
Spyroid
Rosetta Stoned
I don't know why, it reminds me of Witnersun/Ensiferum without the folk parts.
23.10.2006 - 07:44
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Yeah, I agree with RazorOfTheLight's post here: you don't have to like CoF to enjoy this band. Illnath brings a different approach to songwriting, and in that 'intangible' thing called "feel". There are CoF influences all over, but this band is so much more enjoyable to me. "Zetite" is an awesome track that satisfies me each time... such a killer opening track; I wish more bands would pay attention and realize how much better a CD without a useless intro sounds. It's too bad the release of a new CD has been delayed so long
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
13.09.2007 - 22:26
FOAD
Account deleted
It's very strange how much they really do sound like Cradle Of Filth but also sound like their own entity entirely. These guitarists are some of the best I've ever heard in Black Metal. Have any of you noticed that whenever it comes time for a guitar solo that they switch from the minor key to an uplifting major key? I've never heard ANY Black Metal act stray away from their musical torment and play something much more pleasant. Illnath deserves to be at the forefront of the Black Metal movement. I'm so surprised barely anyone knows who they are.
25.09.2007 - 23:30
Rating: 7
Varegan
Hamranakara
if you think he is trying to sing like dani!!! you are making a serious mistake.he never try to scream like a whore(dani).his vocal is completely different.this band is not as famous as COF ,but its completely different and better than COF.
----
Written by muthafucka on 08.07.2010 at 06:46

"METAL STORM" (LIGHTING STRIKES)
14.06.2008 - 08:45
Uirapuru
Liver Failure
Written by Varegan on 25.09.2007 at 23:30

if you think he is trying to sing like dani!!! you are making a serious mistake.he never try to scream like a whore(dani).his vocal is completely different.this band is not as famous as COF ,but its completely different and better than COF.

Of course the band is different from CoF. Buuut... to me it looks like the vocal's really trying to sing like dani filth... listen to 3rd track and youll see, in the end of ''Zenite'' and in ''Frozen Constellations'' and ''The Creators Biggest Pride'' he tries it again. The rest of the album he just sings with the traditional Gothic-black voice.
But im not criticizing, this album is Ok.. all of the album qualities were mentioned in the review and i agree.
They could use more of these female vocals, thats the thing i admire most in Gothic-black bands... but since im not very into this style, the only band that i've heard that really mix both genre vocals is CoF... Graveworm and Luna Ad Noctum barely use it.
----

----
member of the true crusade against old school heavy metal, early 80s thrash, NWOBHM, traditional doom, first and second wave black metal, old school death metal, US power metal, 70s prog rock and atmospheric doomsludgestoner. o/

Hits total: 5439 | This month: 4