02. Build Me Up, Break Me Down
03. Lost Not Forgotten
04. This Is The Life
05. Bridges In The Sky
06. Outcry
07. Far From Heaven
08. Breaking All Illusions
09. Beneath The Surface

It seems that something like that must have happened eventually. Mike Portnoy is gone, and A Dramatic Turn of Events is the first occasion for the metal community to find out how Dream Theater fares without their co-founder and co-leader. Let me tell you straight away that it sucks. It sucks much more than I feared it would having heard the first song off the album, whose name I won't even bother to mention. Why would I want to waste time typing names of crappy songs?

I will save a lot of time this way at least. Not having to type seven names of songs saves a lot of typing time, which I can otherwise spend picking my nose and admiring the yield that came form my private excavation. It'll be also more interesting than the dubious pleasure I was privy to while I was giving the album my mandatory 10 listens. I'm a coffee guy, so caffeine always manages to keep me awake. If it hadn't been for this legal drug, I'd never have finished listening to this turd of an album.

During the ordeal of listening to A Dramatic Turn of Events I pricked up my ears only twice. "Lost Not Forgotten" is half-decent, and its chorus has some bite in it, making the song at least memorable. "Breaking All Illusions" is the only trace of Dream Theater's former glory - adventurous, intriguing, surprising, with a great, well-composed, labyrinthine guitar solo. The only really outstanding song, the only pearl among swine.

The rest of the songs are a gray mass containing craploads of forced, uninspired instrumental wankery, multiple showoff passages, incredibly drawn out fragments, boring singing and flat, lifeless choruses. Sometimes the songs are sickeningly sweet and reek of badly disguised desire for radio exposure, sometimes they are overly complicated, but put together using unmatched parts, resulting in a bigger mess than my 3-year-old niece would make if I left her in the kitchen for 2 hours. All the inspiration that Dream Theater had this time around went into 2 songs. And what the hell is wrong with Jordan Rudess? He crammed his damn keyboard passages into every nook and cranny he could find in every song, and when there was no room to cram, he put the goddamn thing on top. The omnipresence of his instrument is extremely annoying and makes the album even worse. I know he is a virtuoso, but must he prove it five times per minute?

Come back Mike, please.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 9
Songwriting: 5
Originality: 6
Production: 8

Written on 21.09.2011 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Staff review by
Dream Taster
Rating:
There is no denying Dream Theater has been an enormous influence on progressive music for the last two decades. Every new release of theirs usually generates a buzz among fans and media alike. But since founding member, natural leader and revered drummer Mike Portnoy left the band unceremoniously last year, the free press the band is getting has been off the charts. After an overly publicized series of auditions whence drumming instructor Mike Mangini came triumphant, expectations were at an expected all-time high. A lot of doubts and uncertainties were lingering in the air. So what? You ask. Well, it all depends who's giving you the answer. Reviews have been split across the internet spectrum. But since you're stuck with me, here are my thoughts.

Read more ››
published 02.11.2011 | Comments (28)

Guest review by
Roman Doez
Rating:
Dream Theater is my favorite band. They've been for a while now. However, a lot of people classify their music as mindless wankery and dislike them because of that, and while it's true that their 2000's releases to some extent fall in that category, for a long time I never really could understand what made that so unappealing to some. However, after hearing this album, I instantly knew what they meant. Following the pretty good Black Clouds And Silver Linings, which was a huge step up from the very mixed Systematic Chaos and Octavarium, it seemed like everything was going great again for Dream Theater. However, the departure of founding member Mike Portnoy left them in quite a weird spot; he had been one of the lead writers for two decades and was one of the pillars behind their success. The band now had to prove themselves capable of writing great stuff without him, using their new drummer Mike Mangini. And I'm gonna be honest, they did anything but succeed.

Read more ››
published 29.12.2020 | Comments (52)

Comments page 3 / 7

Comments: 186   Visited by: 944 users
22.09.2011 - 17:56
Rating: 6
Bugman

I was sort of feeling that the review is a bit on the harsh, and at points unfair, side and then i found out that I agree with the ratings. I really don't think that DT could provide us with a bad album on the performance and production side. The originality is not really a strong point, not since Train of Thought, so I don't get the surprise on that side. Well, i was surprised that this time I found myself saying "this really looks like Symphony X or Aina" in two tracks instead of the usual 7 tracks of "oh here's DT copying DT again.

I don't think you could solve what's wrong with DT by bringing Mike back. You could probably do it by doing what Mike wanted, let them take a break, lose the need to provide us yet with a reshuffle of something they made before and then come up with something really original. Mike left when he had to, with the 12 Steps Suite. maybe the band members should consider more time with their side projects...

Totally agree on the Rudess need to stand out!
22.09.2011 - 18:03
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
Written by Bugman on 22.09.2011 at 17:56

You could probably do it by doing what Mike wanted, let them take a break, lose the need to provide us yet with a reshuffle of something they made before and then come up with something really original.

Looking at the Opeth - Heritage thread, I'm not sure that's what fans want. Never has every single fan been happy with what a band does, so I think it is best to do what feels right as a band. If this album felt right for DT, good for them. We can all be individuals and each judge it in our own way...
22.09.2011 - 18:09
Bugman

Written by Introspekrieg on 22.09.2011 at 18:03

Looking at the Opeth - Heritage thread, I'm not sure that's what fans want. Never has every single fan been happy with what a band does, so I think it is best to do what feels right as a band. If this album felt right for DT, good for them. We can all be individuals and each judge it in our own way...

Hell yeah I can agree with that not really being what fans like most, but those same fans shouldn't get pissed at someone that points out that their band has been providing pretty much the same thing for the past 3/4 albuns... I myself like pretty much of Amon Amarth. Sure I think they are great performers but lets face it... it's 3/4 albuns of pretty much the same thing and I don't go berserk at someone for pointing it out.

Coming back to DT... I remember that when Train of Thought came out I was among the few among my group of metalheads that actually praised the album. Now I see some of them actually asking for the same kind of groundbreaking stuf...
22.09.2011 - 18:22
Merchant of Doom

I always thought of Dream Theater (what a shit name, BTW, really embarrassing) as pop/metal, with a bit of prog wankery. Sometimes they are very good and very enjoyable, and sometimes infuriatingly shitty... and somehow they manage to stick the good bits and the bad bits together in the same track (maybe that's why they are 10 min. long? ), ruining everything. This album is a classic example... a mix of brilliance and crap in every single track, they even manage to sound like Emerson Lake & Palmer at some point. It's a 5 for me.
22.09.2011 - 18:27
Vombatus
Potorro
Honest review if you ask me... crappy albums should be rated under 5 (even if on ms anything under 8 is suppose to be shit).

The worse thing about reviews of bands with a big amount of fanboys is that you realise how much people actually care about a reviewers opinion on internet that they never met an probably never will, an how persistent they might be to prove he is wrong... is it that important ?
22.09.2011 - 18:41
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Quote:
The rest of the songs are a gray mass containing craploads of forced, uninspired instrumental wankery, multiple showoff passages, incredibly drawn out fragments, boring singing and flat, lifeless choruses.

This basically explains my feelings towards Dream Theater in general.

Written by Vombatus on 22.09.2011 at 18:27

The worse thing about reviews of bands with a big amount of fanboys is that you realise how much people actually care about a reviewers opinion on internet that they never met an probably never will, an how persistent they might be to prove he is wrong... is it that important ?

People care a lot because the staff have the front page, therefore our voices are louder and our e-cocks are bigger. Maybe it's some sort of inferiority thing that makes people obnoxiously combatant against reviews that differ from their opinion. Most of the people trying to "prove the reviewer wrong" use the words "professionalism", "bias", and "unobjective" quite a bit. You'll notice negativity is held to a much higher standard.

(this rant does not apply to those who respectfully disagree with the review and are well spoken enough to express their disagreement with the review, rather than make some limp-dicked attempt at discrediting the reviewer.)
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.09.2011 - 18:48
Merchant of Doom

Written by Doc G. on 22.09.2011 at 18:41

Quote:
The rest of the songs are a gray mass containing craploads of forced, uninspired instrumental wankery, multiple showoff passages, incredibly drawn out fragments, boring singing and flat, lifeless choruses.

This basically explains my feelings towards Dream Theater in general.

Written by Vombatus on 22.09.2011 at 18:27

People care a lot because the staff have the front page, therefore our voices are louder and our e-cocks are bigger. Maybe it's some sort of inferiority thing that makes people obnoxiously combatant against reviews that differ from their opinion. Most of the people trying to "prove the reviewer wrong" use the words "professionalism", "bias", and "unobjective" quite a bit. You'll notice negativity is held to a much higher standard.

(this rant does not apply to those who respectfully disagree with the review and are well spoken enough to express their disagreement with the review, rather than make some limp-dicked attempt at discrediting the reviewer.)

yes, I never understood why people have to insult the reviewer... it's just an opinion... we are not at school anymore... Just provide you reasons for not liking/liking the album or even the band. Or is that just too boring for you?
22.09.2011 - 18:59
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
Come back portnoy Dont think that'll happen. I just wish mike mangini would involve himself in the songwriting process much more to add his own style n touch to the band.
22.09.2011 - 19:03
Mindheist
No Longer Human
I actually never understood why so many people get upset everytime someone tries to give popular bands the rating they truly deserve. This album is pretty average except for the title, for it brilliantly sums up what awaits the fans: Pure boredom. And remember, this review is coming from someone whose favorite bands list includes DT, which eliminates the idea of him being a hater. Your problem is that you always expect reviewers to give DT and Opeth at least an 8 regardless of the albums' true caliber.
22.09.2011 - 19:12
Merchant of Doom

Written by Mindheist on 22.09.2011 at 19:03

Your problem is that you always expect reviewers to give DT and Opeth at least an 8 regardless of the albums' true caliber.

it's definitely not MY problem... I'm the first one to slate a favourite band of mine if I think the album is shit... not that DT was ever a favourite band of mine, anyway... But maybe you weren't talking to me... I'll go back to my Doom now...
22.09.2011 - 19:25
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
This review will inevitably rename the site shitstorm. I have no real interest in listening to this (the last Dream theater album I listened to was Octavarium, and I found that pretty average despite being considered a higher point of recent Dream Theater albums). As for the rating of 5.8, basically sounds like what I might give (perhaps maybe even a 5 for just not being well written as oposed to just being boring). Still a 5.8 is only slightly below average.
22.09.2011 - 19:45
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by bodomroy on 22.09.2011 at 17:52

A review can´t be objective but points yes, it´s maths. 9+5+6+8 = 28 / 4 = 7. Reviewer hates jordan's keyboards and its presence, so i think performance and production can´t score 9 and 8. Doesn´t like singing too and it seems that only one guitar solo its well built so the review doesn´t follow the logic of the points.

the points argument... take a drink!

truth is overall score is not just those four factors taken into consideration.

you'll notice ENJOYMENT is not one of the four. a good reviewer should be able to differentiate from very skilled musicians capable of crafting a song from whether or not that song is actually enjoyable. Replay - is it the kind of album you'll actually want to listen to again?

there are a host of other factors that get taken into consideration beyond those four, and the final score is reflects OVERALL opinion.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.09.2011 - 19:49
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by Daniell on 22.09.2011 at 15:56

Valium, cupcake, valium. Before you explode.

Total votes: 153
Average rating: 8.89

More than half his votes are 10's. apparently he is very difficult to disappoint.
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
22.09.2011 - 20:22
Carloz

I like the album. It's much better than the previous one. I don't give a shit if the reviewer likes it or not, I've got my own mind All of us have.
22.09.2011 - 20:27
Rating: 7
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Doc G. on 22.09.2011 at 18:41

Most of the people trying to "prove the reviewer wrong" use the words "professionalism", "bias", and "unobjective" quite a bit. You'll notice negativity is held to a much higher standard.

This review just begs for comments like that, it's kind of provocative There's an entire meandering paragraph basically about the reviewer himself, which in this context doesn't interest me one bit. Next time I'm just going to steer clear of this kind of stuff and find a better review from somewhere else if I want one.
22.09.2011 - 20:31
Rating: 9
Prometheus

Written by Guest on 22.09.2011 at 16:41

Written by Prometheus on 22.09.2011 at 15:46

But go and get a life!!!! this album is simply perfect as the others dream theater albums i dunno who is best but this is perfect.
you gave it a 5.8 !!!!!!!!!!!!!! come on!!!! if it disappoints me i would give it 7.0 but not 5.8.
and the review its fake and crappy at the same time

7 means good; disappointing means average/mediocre, adjectives that this umpteenth piece of plastic deserves, in my opinion.

Quote:

Yeah, pretty much like anything they did over the last fifteen years. Masturbation prevails.
Good review, however.

i ment that even if i dont like the album i would give 7 because i love this band .
understood now? see what i mean?
22.09.2011 - 21:18
Tranquillizer
Account deleted
I get the impression that the guys from DT have become victims of their own work ethic. I mean this is their 6th studio album in the last decade, right? Add to that touring after each record, some 5 or six lives/DVDs in that period, and all of those guest work for other bands and side-projects. They're bound to run out of ideas, and and fill the gap with emotionless instrumental proficiency. I feel that they need to take a longer break between albums, to get some creative ideas again.

I personally fell a certain "saturation" ( is that the right term? ) with Dream Theater realeases.
22.09.2011 - 22:19
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 22.09.2011 at 07:42

Written by Guest on 22.09.2011 at 06:23

Written by Daniell on 21.09.2011 at 23:19

Explain how it is biased? Because it goes against your opinion?

Every album that I like deserves a ten, and if you disagree than you're not being objective, which, as Bittercold knows, is the best way to write reviews.

Anyways, never cared about Dream Theatre, don't care about this album, just trying to increase my post count.

apparently the point of the article flew right over your head. frankly, i am not surprised.

and as for increasing your post count, well, i bet i can dole out -(everything) a lot faster than you can +1.

The point of the article was that no worthwhile review can be completley objective, the author's opinion's are what make the reviews worth reading, and I made an obviously sarcastic/joking comment that you think objectivity is the best way to write a review.
22.09.2011 - 23:11
Surion

I think the review is right in some of it's points (I don't think it's the best way to write one but what the hell) IMO can't take too seriously that review because it seems that one angry Portnoy fan (and maybe one of the old keybordists of the band) is writing it, I'm not sure of that but it sure seems like it.
For me the album is great, not a masterpiece but still very enjoyable. Anyway everyone has their own opinion so I respect your review but I don't think it's a serious one and also don't agree with your score on the album.
----
Ereßµ§ ø? ßløøð
22.09.2011 - 23:33
Rating: 10
Hollberr

Completely disagree with the review.
Labrie's performance is the best since scenes from a memory.
And what the hell is wrong with radio exposure? It's not new with DT. I mean, the whole Octavarium album ''stinks'' with radio exposure. And i'm not talking about constant motion, FORSAKEN, WITHER, rite of passage.
Every album has more radio friendly songs, and it's okay! And personnally, Build Me Up Break Me Down, Beneath the Surface and Far From Heaven are better than every other radio friendly songs they've ever done.

Rating it a 5.8 would imply Octavarium, Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds should earn a 4, which is not the case.

Great performance by DT, once more.
22.09.2011 - 23:42
Rating: 5
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Hollberr on 22.09.2011 at 23:33

And what the hell is wrong with radio exposure? It's not new with DT. I mean, the whole Octavarium album ''stinks'' with radio exposure. And i'm not talking about constant motion, FORSAKEN, WITHER, rite of passage.
Every album has more radio friendly songs, and it's okay! And personnally, Build Me Up Break Me Down, Beneath the Surface and Far From Heaven are better than every other radio friendly songs they've ever done.

Attempts at radio exposure have always been, are, and will always be the most shameful and sucky part of Dream Theater's albums. I hated "Wither" and "Forsaken" as much as I hate "Build Me Up Break Me Down"

Written by Hollberr on 22.09.2011 at 23:33

Rating it a 5.8 would imply Octavarium, Systematic Chaos and Black Clouds should earn a 4, which is not the case.

Each of the 3 albums you mention have more than 2 good songs in my opinion:
Octavarium: Sacrificed Sons, Panic Attack, Octavarium.
Systematic Chaos: In the Presence of Enemies 1 & 2, The Ministry of Lost Souls, Repentance.
Black Clouds: Count of Tuscany, A Nightmare to Remember, The Shattered Fortress.
So yeah, I would rate each of them higher.
23.09.2011 - 00:09
Rating: 10
arto adnan

For an honest review, visit http://www.rich-wilson.com/news-blog/
23.09.2011 - 00:21
malaikat

Written by jmz on 22.09.2011 at 16:59

alright mate.

i'm not claiming the new album is up there with those top ones, and it doesn't have anything to do with Berklee or their musicianship that i don't agree with the rating. well, probably it's just the end of the article that made me sick.

so, just my personal idea this is worth more than 5.8
not trying to change anyone's mind here but just share an idea if there's someone wanting to give it a try.

Why are you getting aggresive? Did you even read my post past your fanboy blindness?

You said that DT never gets high rating here on MS. I proved you wrong, naming three (3) albums that have a very high rating. In other words: you tried to imply that, somehow, poeple at MS hate DT and deliberatly downrate their albums - I just pointed out that they do recieve high rating when the albums are actually good. When they release album this mediocre, the rating will be mediocre. End of story.

Moving on. Next you said that here on MS we hate "the >6 minutes songs", which is totally not true, for the reasons I explained in my previous post, which I'll not write again.

In short: lrn2read. I mean, you said something, I replied to one specific thing you said (ok, two things), and then you quoted me back and started talking about something entirely else. I did not offend your oppinion or your taste, I just pointed out that you are simply not right concerning those 2 things we just disscused.
The point of my post was showing you that:
1) DT has some pretty high ratings, despite your paranoia;
2) MS is a site that actually cherishes prog, experimental and other ">6 minutes songs" metal music.

Nothing more, nothing less. I understand you're a DT fanboy (you rated almost every single DT album with 9 or 10), but be more realistic and less agressive, will you?
23.09.2011 - 00:33
malaikat

Written by arto adnan on 23.09.2011 at 00:09

For an honest review, visit http://www.rich-wilson.com/news-blog/

Sorry, but that review is the written equivalent of orally pleasing each and every member of DT.

With a bukkake on top.

And the reviewer likes it.
23.09.2011 - 00:51
Scorpyin

The reason this review sucks is because I have NO clue what to expect after reading it other than 'too much keyboard' and 'its missing mike'. It doesn't even talk about the music, just how much it sucks. It would be nice if you could tell us WHY you didnt like it, maybe. Now personally I hate dream theater, hate their vocalist and hate the songs they write, but whatever who cares, I dont need to listen to them. But honestly, this review is horrible!! It's alright to hate a cd and say its terrible, but without legit reasons for not liking it seems futile (In regards to reviewing a cd).
23.09.2011 - 01:02
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Scorpyin on 23.09.2011 at 00:51

The reason this review sucks is because I have NO clue what to expect after reading it other than 'too much keyboard' and 'its missing mike'. It doesn't even talk about the music, just how much it sucks. It would be nice if you could tell us WHY you didnt like it, maybe. Now personally I hate dream theater, hate their vocalist and hate the songs they write, but whatever who cares, I dont need to listen to them. But honestly, this review is horrible!! It's alright to hate a cd and say its terrible, but without legit reasons for not liking it seems futile (In regards to reviewing a cd).

Ah, the joys of actually reading:

Quote:

----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
23.09.2011 - 01:09
MétalNoir
Fils du Lys
I can't believe how irrelevant forums about sellout bands can be. One half claims the reviewer is a pure genius, while the other half are actually making torough research to find his adress out and kill him after a week-long torture session...
----
Notre destinée n'est pas encore tracée....
23.09.2011 - 01:15
Rating: 7
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Doc G. on 23.09.2011 at 01:02

Written by Scorpyin on 23.09.2011 at 00:51

Ah, the joys of actually reading:

Quote:

Arrogant post alert! Jeez... few days off this site will be refreshing
23.09.2011 - 01:15
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by arto adnan on 23.09.2011 at 00:09

For an honest review a review that matches my own opinion rather than one written by a fan of the band who dares think differently than i do, visit http://www.rich-wilson.com/news-blog/

fixed it for you.
----

23.09.2011 - 02:09
Rating: 9
jhook

Written by Guest on 22.09.2011 at 21:18

I get the impression that the guys from DT have become victims of their own work ethic. I mean this is their 6th studio album in the last decade, right? Add to that touring after each record, some 5 or six lives/DVDs in that period, and all of those guest work for other bands and side-projects. They're bound to run out of ideas, and and fill the gap with emotionless instrumental proficiency. I feel that they need to take a longer break between albums, to get some creative ideas again.

I personally fell a certain "saturation" ( is that the right term? ) with Dream Theater realeases.

hmm, well i actually read in an interview with the band that they actually had too many creative ideas and the problem was sorting through them to make an album

Hits total: 18529 | This month: 31