Metal Storm logo
The Three Most Important Bands In Metal Today.

Original post

Posted by @gent_-_orange, 22.09.2011 - 22:14
In your opinion which bands are important for metal's future, By this I mean what bands are doing something of merit that you can see being hailed as an Influence 10-20 years down the line, Bands who are forging ahead a new path for Metal that are destined to be held in high regard and the absolute pinnacle of metal long after they are gone.

I am aware this is all subjective and there never will be an agreed upon answer, Buts lets try and choose bands that have a sound that has not been done to death already.

These bands do not necessarily have to represent your taste in metal nor do they have to be your favourite bands.

OK... So my Three are:

Agalloch - Probably the best thing folk metal has going for it, Agalloch play a unique mix of Folk Tinged Doom Metal (I use the term Doom Metal Loosely) with a little bit of Black Metal thrown in that creates an atmosphere of loneliness and melancholia, Evoking images of the Pacific Northwest's natural beauty. Agalloch have created a small collection of 4 studio album so far, With all four receiving critical acclaim, This band could very well become legendary in the years to come for their daring and unique approach to a genre full of gimmickry (Finntroll and Korpiklaani Im looking at you) that was quickly going stale.

Enslaved - Despite being 20 years old Enslaved have an ever-changing discography of excellent and incredibley unique progressive (and at times psychedelic) black metal that is still relevant to this day, Every album they released seems to build on the one before it, Creating a body of work (This includes the bands latest offerings which are arguably there best) that will be held in high regard long after this band is gone.

Opeth - Opeth have helped bring a more open minded approach to their progressive metal sound, Creating diverse albums that have attracted many die hard metal fans and newcomers a like, Many prog rock fans I know who have little interest in metal are massive fans of this band, Which I think shows their appeal. Even after 10 studio albums this band shows no sign of playing it safe. A lot of fan boys drool over this band but sometime popular things are popular for a reason. I wouldn't be surprised to see Opeth held alongside metal's all time greats in the future (Some claim they are already among them now).

So what do you guys think?
08.01.2012 - 21:27
Aristarchos

Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.01.2012 at 12:38

As for mainstream successful black metal bands? The closest you'll ever get is Cradle of Filth and Dimmu Borgir.

Don't be too sure about that.
Written by Troy Killjoy on 08.01.2012 at 12:38

And Meshuggah... their sound is already in the process of being carbon copied by every band that calls themselves "djent".

I haven't heard the Meshuggah clones. Does any of them sound more accesible?
08.01.2012 - 21:30
Grody2themax

Written by Aristarchos on 08.01.2012 at 21:27

I haven't heard the Meshuggah clones. Does any of them sound more accesible?

Just listen to Meshuggah. No need to listen to the clones that are basically Meshuggah with a huge ego. Although, there are some original bands with the djent guitar tone and playing style.
15.01.2012 - 06:45
3rdWorld
China was a neat
How can three bands be enuff the keep the metal path aflame? U cant narrow down things like that.Useless thread.
15.01.2012 - 10:50
The Turbanator

Wolves In The Throne Room
Blut Aus Nord
Isis (was and still is)
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
19.01.2012 - 05:57
BlueMobius
Account deleted
Agalloch: This band has a very cult following and original music. I see them currently inspiring a lot of bands that have been releasing albums in recent years and I think a lot of bands to come will not only try to imitate this band's sound but their persona as well.

Skeletonwitch: The band is relatively new to the metal scene and are making waves by putting out some great music. They've been kind of at the forefront of this wave of blackened thrash that's starting to surge again.

Ghost: I think there are going to be a lot more bands that come of of the woodwork playing traditional heavy metal/rock that kind of sing on topics of the occult or try to create a certain imagery among themselves.
26.02.2012 - 18:59
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Now you got me. Can't say even one.

By the way, the 80's music is the best!
26.02.2012 - 20:29
Lit.
Account deleted
Opeth - As much as I hate them and their boring monotonish music, certainly important.
Mastodon - Obviously...
Ghost - Yeah, sure. I can definately see these guys going somewhere.
26.02.2012 - 20:51
Oaken
Hipster
Written by The Turbanator on 15.01.2012 at 10:50

Blut Aus Nord

Good choices. Wolves spawned a whole wave of (Cascadian) black metal, and BaN actually represent innovation in the genre. Both bands will definitely influence black metal bands for years to come.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
01.03.2012 - 13:04
The Turbanator

Written by Oaken on 26.02.2012 at 20:51

Written by The Turbanator on 15.01.2012 at 10:50

Blut Aus Nord

Good choices. Wolves spawned a whole wave of (Cascadian) black metal, and BaN actually represent innovation in the genre. Both bands will definitely influence black metal bands for years to come.

Wolves is the band that stays in the sphere but uses up all the available space to improvise themselves. BAN is a band that keep expanding the sphere and after listening to their albums from the beginning you know they're not gonna stop. Amazing bands. Somethings they do cannot be imagined by many musicians.
----
In the name of forests; In the name of stars; In the name of all the seas; In the name of storms... Proud sons of ancient nation; Proud sons of sacred song in the wind; Proud sons behind a mirror of ice who told... Fathers of the icy age!!
04.03.2012 - 00:18
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 03.03.2012 at 20:55

Hiya guys. I know it's stupid putting it on this thread, but I'm looking for a good place to start in heavy metal. I'm going to download an album off iTunes when I get enough money, and was wondering who should I start with? I've heard a couple of heavy metal songs (Now I Lay Thee Down, Safe Home, Raining Blood) and I really enjoyed them. I wanna get an album but don't know where to start. Can anyone help me please? Cheers.

When in doubt, go back to the 60's. Start with Black Sabbath's self-titled and work your way forward.
04.03.2012 - 18:34
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
If it is Thrash then there it goes....

1. Overkill
2. Nuclear Assault
3. Havok/Vektor( I'm heavily confused on this!!)
04.03.2012 - 23:44
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 04.03.2012 at 18:34

1. Overkill
2. Nuclear Assault
3. Havok/Vektor( I'm on this heavily confused!!)

Nuclear Assault important in thrash today? Their last good album is from 1989 and their last album from 2005 and that one was terrible.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

05.03.2012 - 03:28
Sentinel65

Mastodon - Their work continues to amaze me, and I have shown them to my non-metalhead friends, and they too have learned to enjoy Mastodon's discography.
Opeth - One of the most acclaimed metal bands of this time, my favorite death metal, my friends can also enjoy this band.
Ghost - These guys are going places

On another note, although their newer material is nothing to brag about, Metallica still remain largely important. Even people I see who dislike metal still love this band.
05.03.2012 - 07:13
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 04.03.2012 at 23:44

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 04.03.2012 at 18:34

1. Overkill
2. Nuclear Assault
3. Havok/Vektor( I'm on this heavily confused!!)

Their last good album is from 1989 and their last album from 2005 and that one was terrible.

Atleast it outstripped Opeth out of their comfort box and sound better than loosely prog. group. I think the raw, energy, innovation and truckload amount of heavy crushing riffs qualities have forced me to say that it's one of the 3 best Metal bands of today. Only, "Third World Genocide" was an average shit cause members of the band were having some strong beef among themselves but the rest....it just good.( again...better sounded band than overrated "Opeth").
05.03.2012 - 07:19
ToMegaTherion

Agalloch - They will be a major influence on bands for a long time into the future I think.

These guys are really providing a great deal of influence for many bands. Its amazing how many bands are now showing the elements of experimentalism which Agalloch have done so well for so long now.
Opeth are another band that are influencing many acts, and probably playing a big role in make melodic metal more appealing to the more extreme group of metal fans.
Iron Maiden - Its hard to deny the influence these guys have had on metal for so long, and still today you hear band members mentioning that they like Iron Maiden. They certainly arn't my favourite nor do i think they are the best around, but they own a brand name in Iron Maiden that people metal and regular music fans alike recognise.
06.03.2012 - 19:09
Nosurper
Stinky Lips
Agalloch, for their striking blend of folk/black metal
Devin Townsend, for showing Dream Theater how it's done
Toss up between Neurosis, Mastodon, and 40 Watt Sun
----
01.03.2013 - 18:51
Aristarchos

The two most interesting albums from 2012 that I have heard are Hail Spirit Noir - Pneuma and Ne Obliviscaris - Portal Of I. Both these albums were debuts, and both bands have the future to show what they could do. I think it would be interesting if this is how metal could evolve the following years.
10.03.2013 - 00:09
skrog1

Slayer, Metallica, and Pantera.
----
LIKE THE OFFICIAL SKROG FACEBOOK PAGE TODAY!!!!

http://facebook.com/Skrogband
10.03.2013 - 01:19
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 00:09

Thread question was: "which bands are important for metal's future"

All once important bands, but not important in this day and age in any way for metal's future.
10.03.2013 - 01:21
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Guest on 10.03.2013 at 01:19

Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 00:09

Thread question was: "which bands are important for metal's future"

All once important bands, but not important in this day and age in any way for metal's future.

True, none of these are really important for today's Metal music.

I mean: Metallica's last release was Lulu ... c'mon

Pantera, they just don't play anymore cuz the guitarist was shot

Slayer... well they are probably the only band in the three mentioned above that still release metal lol but to
call them ''Important'' nowadays.. bleh. Their important works were done in the 80's
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
10.03.2013 - 01:28
skrog1

I agree that Slayer and Metallica's best works were in the '80's but that doesn't diminish the importance or influence of today's music.

But fine, if you want something more modern and relevant...

Hmm.

Nile, Vader, and Dying Fetus.
----

10.03.2013 - 01:39
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Well I personally wouldn't hold any of those up to be the "future of metal" either. Nile have more or less gone to pot every since Ithyphallic and have just gotten even worse since. Vader are definitely an enjoyable band but they're purely functional; not exactly a creative monolith as they just go through the motions. Dying Fetus I've never felt were anything particularly special either. For me the future of metal should contain new ideas and levels of creativity not easily found in the current climate. I don't think it can be readily found in big-name bands like that. For death metal it's likely Ulcerate, Ævangelist, Flourishing, Abyssal, Diskord, Agruss and such bands.
10.03.2013 - 01:42
skrog1

Written by Guest on 10.03.2013 at 01:39

Well I personally wouldn't hold any of those up to be the "future of metal" either. Nile have more or less gone to pot every since Ithyphallic and have just gotten even worse since. Vader are definitely an enjoyable band but they're purely functional; not exactly a creative monolith as they just go through the motions. Dying Fetus I've never felt were anything particularly special either. For me the future of metal should contain new ideas and levels of creativity not easily found in the current climate. I don't think it can be readily found in big-name bands like that. For death metal it's likely Ulcerate, Ævangelist, Flourishing, Abyssal, Diskord, Agruss and such bands.

Well good for you, man. See, this is what opinion is. I've posted mine. You've posted yours. Nothing solved. Nothing gained. Just an exchange of opinion. The difference is I don't need to shred your opinions up and call you wrong.
----

10.03.2013 - 01:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by skrog1 on 10.03.2013 at 01:42

Well good for you, man. See, this is what opinion is. I've posted mine. You've posted yours. Nothing solved. Nothing gained. Just an exchange of opinion. The difference is I don't need to shred your opinions up and call you wrong.

It wouldn't be much of a forum if opinions weren't exchanged and challenged. It would consist of a bunch of unrelated floating comments that involved no actual discussion. I gave what I would regard as valid reasons why I don't think the three bands you mentioned are the future of metal in a manner that I would regard as conducive to proper conversation. Not sure that counts as shredding your opinions.
10.03.2013 - 01:52
skrog1

Haha. Touche.
----