07. Don't Rip The Beast's Heart Out
08. I Had A Dream...
09. Lord Of Thorns
10. Decapitated Saints
11. They're Coming...
12. Black Velvet And Skulls Of Steel
13. Raping The Earth [Extreme Noise Terror cover] [Digipak bonus]
14. Troops Of Tomorrow [The Exploited cover] [Digipak bonus]

Ladies and gents, let's have a look at one of the great moments of world cinema, a masterpiece of mass entertainment and witty dialogue, "Pulp Fiction":

VINCENT: (..) you know what the funniest thing about Europe is?
JULES: What?
VINCENT: It's the little differences. A lotta the same shit we got here, they got there, but there they're a little different.
JULES: Examples?

Vader plays seemingly the same shit as about a million other death metal bands, but it's the little differences that set them apart from a nameless mass and put them where they belong, at the pinnacle of death metal: occasional very melodic, short riffs; pseudo-choirs; surprising keyboards; whispers; non-conventional drumming. After the furious primal onslaught of Litany no one could have any doubts about Vader's place in death metal, regardless of taste. But even though every album afterwards was very solid, none of them reached the absolute heights of Litany, and every next one was slightly weaker than its predecessor, with Necropolis being really stale and simply boring.

Until now. Welcome to the Morbid Reich is, I'm very pleased to say, Vader's strongest release since the unsurpassable Litany. Another change of lineup must've been exceptionally good for the creative powers that Vader thrives on, because most of the songs are top notch, brimming with long-lost energy and verve. Vader seems to have mastered what Slayer made their trademark on Reign in Blood - they're able to make several songs played at the same tempo, yet every one of them is arranged slightly differently, especially drumming-wise, thus never boring the listener. Special kudos for "Don't Rip Beast's Heart Out", "Come See My Sacrifice" and "Only Hell Knows". These three songs could easily find a spot on the best Vader albums like De Profundis or the aforementioned Litany. The rest aren't far behind in terms of quality, together forming a very convincing album that, at least to these ears, has no competition among this year's death metal releases.

With bands like Vader, lack of progress or development isn't a bad thing at all. Album after album, they perfect their art, sometimes soaring higher than usual, like this year, but never really veering from their once chosen path. I at least don't expect anything else from these guys.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 8
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written on 24.09.2011 by Writes overly honest and totally subjective reviews when fancy strikes him. Which is not often. Which is probably good, all things considered.

Comments

Comments: 42   [ 3 ignored ]   Visited by: 544 users
24.09.2011 - 09:32
JCJen7

Score seems a bit low after the review you gave it. But regardless, very solid album.
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
24.09.2011 - 09:59
Rating: 8
Daniell
_爱情_
Low? a score over 8 is really high.
24.09.2011 - 10:34
Rating: 9
R'Vannith
ghedengi
This album gives Litany a run for it's money I think. As for the score I'd have to agree, it does seem a little low for how you describe it in the review, not that that matters of course it's what you say in the review that's most important.

When you say that 8 is really high, don't you think that that is subject to opinion? I mean, to go down the ratings nitpicking line of thought, I would give an eight to a reasonably good album, 9 to a great album and 10 to a bloody ripper. You can call that overrating things if you wish but it's just how I rate albums.

Frankly I don't care how you rate it, just how you describe it. And how you describe this album in this review would make pretty much any metal fan not familiar with the album want to check it out.
24.09.2011 - 10:44
malaikat

Not sure if better than Litany or Impressions in Blood imho, but a damn good album it is.

EDIT: how can a rating of 8.3 be low, for god's sake? Not every good album is a 9 or 10. True, it could be 8.5 or something like that, but that's a difference of 0.2 points we're talking about.
For me: 8 is very good, highly above average, enjoyable even after multiple spins;
9 - excellent, a rarely good album, album that has only minor flaws such as one weak song or smth like that, album that is by all means awesome but it lacks "something" to be a great one;
10 - flawless, one in a thousand, album that literally has no weak seconds, let alone weak songs. Only a cuople of these appear per year, imho. Some bands may have discography of 20+ very good or excellent albums, but not a single truly great one.
24.09.2011 - 11:44
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Hmm.... haven't checked it out yet for fear of it being nothing overly special, but after reading this review, you have convinced me otherwise sir. I'll definitely give it a spin!
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
24.09.2011 - 12:22
jupitreas
hi-fi / lo-life
I beg to differ. This album is as boring and uninspired as Necropolis before it. Definitely not amongst the best death metal this year.
24.09.2011 - 12:45
Baz Anderson

I think this is the best Vader album for a long time...
24.09.2011 - 14:16
Xim
Rocker of Worlds
I think the problem is that scores of 8 are coloured yellow, thus an 8 seems low.
24.09.2011 - 14:35
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Baz Anderson on 24.09.2011 at 12:45

I think this is the best Vader album for a long time...

Couldn't agree more!
24.09.2011 - 15:33
Enemy of Reality
Account deleted
100% agree with the review. I used the same arguments for my review.

Some say that they got into auto pilot after Litany, but still i prefer listening to auto pilot Vader than to IDI and all deathcore shit bands.
24.09.2011 - 16:01
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Great review, man.
I want to get this album so bad, already sounds great from what I've heard.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
24.09.2011 - 17:26
Evil Chip

Nice quote about Pulp Fiction!
24.09.2011 - 17:44
KMR

Great to see many faces of the same band. This time the musicanship is greater than ever, maybe album didn't hit the pick of creativity but the hell, there is a solid piece of death metal that we expect.
----
Nothing is sacred.
25.09.2011 - 03:45
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Was going to buy this for $15 canadian... should i have?
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
25.09.2011 - 07:21
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Xim on 24.09.2011 at 14:16

I think the problem is that scores of 8 are coloured yellow, thus an 8 seems low.

I think the problem is that people don't know how to read when they are voting scores for albums on this site.
25.09.2011 - 08:06
Void Eater
Account deleted
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 25.09.2011 at 07:21

I think the problem is that people don't know how to read when they are voting scores for albums on this site.

I think the problem is that MetalStorm is full of fanboys who think that an album they like being rated below 9 means that the person hates the album and needs to be more objective when giving scores.

As far as this album, just another on the list of great 2011 death metal. Disma, Deceased, Exhumed, Autopsy, Obsucra, Hate Eternal, Origin, Sonne Adam, Nader Sadek, and of course Illud Divinum Insanus
25.09.2011 - 17:17
Aetherius

Cant wait to get this!
25.09.2011 - 22:58
JCJen7

Written by Daniell on 24.09.2011 at 09:59

Low? a score over 8 is really high.

I realize a score over 8 means that it is a great album, and an 8.3 is actually higher than I would have rated it. But reading your review, I would have thought the rating would be around a 9.5.

but it's the little differences that set them apart from a nameless mass and put them where they belong, at the pinnacle of death metal
The pinnacle of death metal is an 8.3?

Vader seems to have mastered what Slayer made their trademark on Reign in Blood - they're able to make several songs played at the same tempo, yet every one of them is arranged slightly differently, especially drumming-wise, thus never boring the listener

and

they perfect their art

That's all I meant.

I am sorry that my comment fueled another 'you just don't understand the numbers' or 'your just another one of those idiot metal-stormers that thinks anyting under a 10 is an insult' rants. No, it's not that I don't understand numbers, it's that you didn't take the time to comprehend my comment.

I simply meant that given hefty praises such as this band being the pinnacle of death metal, this album perfecting their art, and having it compared to the relentlesness of Reign in Blood I expected a higher rating. Now put down the pitchforks, and back away from my front door. I didn't mean no harm!
----
This is my sig, respect it. Please.

CHECK THESE OUT
25.09.2011 - 23:16
Daniell
_爱情_
Vader are at the pinnacle of death metal since "Litany", which doesn't mean every album will be as good as that No worries by the way, no harm done!
26.09.2011 - 01:34
sq_xeper

Best album since Litany????? how about Impressions in Blood?? that album means death metal excellence!
Welcome to the Morbid Reich is definetely better than Necropolis, its a really great record, I would give it a 8.8
----
The only way to learn is be aware and hold on tight...
27.09.2011 - 19:23
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
I think this was a pretty good album...although I wouldn't go on about it as much as you, but that's just opinion. Regardless, you can't really go wrong with Vader.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.10.2011 - 04:50
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.

I think the problem is that people don't know how to listen when they are voting scores for albums on this site.

A great solid album, totally better than their previous "Necropolis" that had lots of fillers and less of killers (lol), I've been enjoying this since its release, and I find it quite good, but then again, Vader is one of those bands that somehow I always find great.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
14.10.2011 - 06:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Daggon on 14.10.2011 at 04:50

I think the problem is that people don't know how to listen when they are voting scores for albums on this site.

I think the problem is that people don't know how to quote others without copying the first few words in a sentence.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
14.10.2011 - 18:47
Fat & Sassy!

Written by Troy Killjoy on 14.10.2011 at 06:32

I think the problem is that people don't know how to quote others without copying the first few words in a sentence.

I think the problem is problem. >:[
14.10.2011 - 18:48
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Fat & Sassy! on 14.10.2011 at 18:47

I think the problem is that this new Vader is as yawn inducing as their perevious couple
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.10.2011 - 12:22
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.10.2011 at 18:48

I think the problem is that this new Vader is as yawn inducing as their perevious couple

I think the problem is that there are people too tied up with problems (and seriously.. yawn inducing? )
15.10.2011 - 12:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by R'Vannith on 15.10.2011 at 12:22

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 14.10.2011 at 18:48

I think the problem is that there are people too tied up with problems (and seriously.. yawn inducing? )

I think the problem is people don't know how to cut down on quotes.

Marcel would love this if it had a more rough production job. Fact.
15.10.2011 - 13:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
@JOOE it would indeed be a lot better with a rougher ('more rough' is quite incorrect ) production job. The slick production job is what makes it yawn inducing for me.
Oh and the triggered drums also don't help here at all. Every band that uses triggered drums should be shot.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

15.10.2011 - 13:33
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Guest on 15.10.2011 at 12:36

Marcel would love this if it had a more rough production job. Fact.

Marcel loves everything more if it has rawer production. I'm sure he'd be fan of George Michael if his songs were badly produced. If something is well produced, it can't be good

But seriously, what is with "Ride the Lightning" Marcel? It has perfectly clear production, and yet you gave it a 10? Unless you start telling me that it's production has a lot of bite and grittiness
15.10.2011 - 13:41
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
You two are as bad as each other when it comes to production though rough production can do wonders for an album.

Hits total: 10598 | This month: 13