03. Envy Life
04. Time Is Coming
05. Blessed In Contempt
06. Greenhouse Effect
07. Sins Of Omission
08. The Ballad
09. Nightmare (Coming Back To You)
10. Confusion Fusion

As the last installment of Testament's "big three" albums, a series of well-done thrash metal classics, Practice What You Preach comes in the last years of thrash's Golden Age. With great production, clever riffs and astounding solos, as well as decent vocal work, this album is probably one of the best metal albums of 1989 and a certain classic of the band. It also has a distinctive place at the frayed ends of Testament's prowess; before they turned into a less interesting and less creative style followed from Souls of Black through Demonic.

This album has also had lots of impact on the thrash community back then and one can see why. Of the most obvious reasons, you have Alex Skolnick. This god of a guitarist pretty much plays some awesome solos that sound very memorable and very technical at the same time. But, aside from that, Eric Peterson also delivers with well-done, memorable riffs and shredding; for example, the riffs of "Practice What You Preach" and "Sins of Omission" can attract you to the song from the first listen and hook you on to the rest of the album. Top all of that guitar work with Chuck Billy's decent vocals (although I have to admit he goes way too far in the Hetfield imitation on this record), add to it Greg Christian's great bass lines, and finally enjoy Louie Clemente's somewhat distinctive drumming style, and you get a Testament album at its finest.

Now, after all that praise, this album still has its bad moments. You can safely assume that there are three "tiers" of song quality here. You have tier 1 songs, thrash classics like "Practice What You Preach", "Perilous Nation" and the rather interesting instrumental "Confusion Fusion", then you have the tier 2 songs, which are good but not as good, such as "Envy Life" and "Time Is Coming", and finally you have tier 3: the outright repetitive; "Greenhouse Effect" and "Blessed in Contempt" especially. With barely understandable and shallow lyrics, riffs that are not bad but barely good enough to match with tier 1, those songs certainly resemble a downfall of interest in the album when you hear them after certain masterpieces like the title track and "Perilous Nation".

Also, the originality is certainly a factor here, and one who is not experienced may actually mistaken this album for Metallica. The Metallica imitation is at its best in this album, obviously, take Chuck's Hetfield-voice and listen to the guitars and drums in "The Ballad", as if it is "Fade to Black II". Still, though, the riffs and solos remain solid and original, and the sound is still a bit different, but this is perhaps the least original work Testament has put out.

Overall, this album is a great listen and a definite recommendation for thrash metal fans, but be wary, it has a few songs that should not be there.

Highlights: "Practice What You Preach", "Perilous Nation", "Sins of Omission", "The Ballad", "Confusion Fusion"

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 7
Production: 9

Written by Iron Nostarion | 24.09.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 11   Visited by: 148 users
24.09.2011 - 19:48
Rating: 10
Hugoj33

This album has the best solos ever
24.09.2011 - 20:11
Rating: 9
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Written by Hugoj33 on 24.09.2011 at 19:48

This album has the best solos ever

True that.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
24.09.2011 - 21:04
Veil of Maya

When I first listened to PWYP I imagined that this would be Metallica if Dave Mustaine were on lead vocals Anyway apart from my random comment, good review!
24.09.2011 - 21:06
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Written by Veil of Maya on 24.09.2011 at 21:04

When I first listened to PWYP I imagined that this would be Metallica if Dave Mustaine were on lead vocals Anyway apart from my random comment, good review!

I disagree, Chuck is a better vocalist than both Hetfield and Mustaine.
24.09.2011 - 21:09
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Written by Guest on 24.09.2011 at 21:06

I agree with Chuck being better..

Well except if you come to death growling, he's horrible..
----
24.09.2011 - 23:29
Veil of Maya

Written by Guest on 24.09.2011 at 21:06

I've listened to too much Metallica and Megadeth to make an unbiased opinion about that.
25.09.2011 - 02:17
Void Eater
Account deleted
Sounds like a radio rock band attempting to play thrash. Boooooooorrrrriiiiiiiiing ; give me The Legacy and The New Order instead.
25.09.2011 - 22:25
AXA

I agree with you .. this album an awesome album
Thanks for this very good review \../
25.09.2011 - 22:28
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
Written by Guest on 25.09.2011 at 02:17

Sounds like a radio rock band attempting to play thrash. Boooooooorrrrriiiiiiiiing ; give me The Legacy and The New Order instead.

The thoughts you have now stroke me at the first time or two I've listened to the album. However, the songs begin to unfold and reveal awesome shit after giving this album a few more listens.

Though, as you said, I really prefer New Order and Legacy over this album, as well.
----
27.09.2011 - 20:31
metalheadpunk
Account deleted
This album is probably one of my favorites of all time. Everything is done perfectly, you can hear every instrument, from the bass guitar to the bass drum to the rythmn and lead guitars with the vocals. I think it surpases anything Metallica has made by far. The solos are righteous and every riff is headbangable.
30.09.2011 - 09:04
jimmy

Interesting review. i've always loved this album. i remember having it on cassette when i was in high school in the 90's.

Hits total: 7689 | This month: 9