Metal Storm logo
Best Solo Guitarist Instrumental Albums (modern)

A list of some of my favorite solo guitarist albums of the last decade or so (vaguely in order).

Feel free to send me suggestions! I can not get enough of this kind of music.

(Names such as Malmsteen, Satriani, Vai, etc, will not be appearing on this list. This is more for the purpose of spreading the word about lesser heard of, modern artists).

Created by: Moose | 25.09.2011

1. Jeff Loomis - Zero Order Phase
Hard to look past. One of the best albums of the previous decade, by one of the greatest modern guitarists.
2. Christian Muenzner - Timewarp
Obscura/Ex-Necrophagist guitarist.
3. Guthrie Goven - Erotic Cakes
Progressive Jazzy Fusion. Sure this guy can shred like crazy, but he doesn't overuse it. Great musician.
4. Paul Wardingham - Assimilate Regenerate
Modernistic metal shredding at its best, with some djenty-ness about it.
5. Lars Eric Mattsson - Aurora Borealis
Solo Guitar vs Orchestra. I can not think of something to compare this to. Quirky, beautiful, epic. Certainly not to everyone's taste. Check out the song 'Midnight Sun'.
6. Andy James - Andy James
Extremely talented guitarist from the UK. Music along the same lines as Wardingham.
7. Kiko Loureiro - Fullblast
Brazilian Guitarist, very nice chilled out jazzy album.
8. Francesco Artusato - Francesco Artusato Project
Guitarist of All Shall Perish. Imagine technical death metal, without the vocals. Really awesome stuff.
9. Buckethead - The Elephant Man's Alarm Clock
Probably my all round favourite guitairst, but I don't love any album in particular. This one is awesome though, and is one of his most metal sounding ones. Check out the song 'Final Wars'.

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Moose ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 4   Visited by: 76 users
25.09.2011 - 11:52
Paradox0
Unasuming Madnes
Ever hear of Marc Rizzo's solo work. Its shred mixed with flamenco if you havn;t heard it and its pretty damn awesome
10.03.2012 - 10:51
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I see you are an Adagio fan; have checked out Stephan's solo album?
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
28.03.2012 - 11:05
slasherfly

George Bellas is pretty good guitarist . Look at the album Venomous Fingers its pretty solid.
You should also check out Marty Friedman's - Loudspeaker, pretty heavy riffing with a slight J-pop influence.
28.03.2012 - 17:43
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Paradox0 on 25.09.2011 at 11:52

Ever hear of Marc Rizzo's solo work. Its shred mixed with flamenco if you havn;t heard it and its pretty damn awesome

Second that. That guy understood everything.

I really don't enjoy solo guitarist albums, but I love Marty Friedman's Scenes. That should mean something.

Hits total: 19697 | This month: 4