Metal Storm logo
Burzum - To Release Re-Recorded Material

Burzum will be releasing a new album entitled From The Depths Of Darkness in late November consisting of re-recorded material from their albums Burzum and Det Som Engang Var. The album will feature Varg's favorite tracks from his two first albums that were re-recorded in 2010 for this release the way he originally intended.

From The Depths Of Darkness tracklist and cover art:

01. The Coming (Introduction)
02. Feeble Screams From Forests Unknown
03. Sassu Wunnu (Introduction)
04. Ea. Lord Of The Depths
05. Spell Of Destruction
06. A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit
07. My Journey To The Stars
08. Call Of The Siren (Introduction)
09. Key To The Gate
10. Turn The Sign Of The Microcosm (Snu Mikrokosmos' Tegn)
11. Channeling The Power Of Minds Into A New God

Source: plastichead.com
Band profile: Burzum
Posted: 28.09.2011 by Vombatus

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 54   Visited by: 279 users
28.09.2011 - 14:43
Mugthulhu

I bet most fans won't be happy about this. Personally looking forward to it though.
28.09.2011 - 14:44
Necrogeddon
Born Too Late
Oooh very nice, I shall be purchasing this!
----
'I wish you all had one neck and that I had my hands on it.'
28.09.2011 - 14:46
ANGEL REAPER

Well he need money to pay off that four churches...
Seriously I will wait to see what will that sound like,but i am afraid that he will ruin the old versions of the songs and piss over his own legacy.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
28.09.2011 - 14:52
Jiri

I can't wait! This will be very interesting
28.09.2011 - 15:33
Ankläger

But what's the point of rerecording?
I always thought it was sort of like... to give the track a second chance, with better production, performance, etc...
What the hell is wrong with any of his tracks?!

(On second thought, he should rerecord Daudi Baldrs and that other crappy one with actual instruments)
28.09.2011 - 15:59
Vombatus
Potorro
The point of rerecording this is to make it sound as he initially intended... so must not be satisfied with those albums and now that he has a bit more money (compared to early 90') he has that chance. Dimmu did something similar when they rerecorded Stormblast (MMV was worse, but still solid, even if i prefer the original coz of it's atmosphere).
28.09.2011 - 16:07
Sworn

I'm usually against re-recordings, but this time I will make an exception because Varg is still recording his albums with the right sound, not plastic modern shit.
28.09.2011 - 17:17
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
To be true Burzum Varg shood stab somebody agan and do 20 years haha
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.09.2011 - 17:40
psykometal
A staff guy...
I am looking forward to this. I enjoyed the production on them the first time around and I also enjoy his current more modern production so I am definitely interested to see what he does to with these classics.
----
~Zep, Database and Forum Moderation~

28.09.2011 - 17:56
Daniell
_爱情_
I sense a pressing need to make more money. For someone who spent so many years in jail, there aren't many options in the employment market, even in such a rich country as Norway. So Varg needs to make a living somehow, and re-recording his old material seems an effortless way to pull some cash out of people's pockets. I will be interested in listening to this, because the old albums sound like utter crap. But, like with every re-recording before, I will be severely disappointed.
28.09.2011 - 18:01
DevilishSong

It would be interesting! .... i've waited to see how young Varg could mix with experinced one ....
28.09.2011 - 18:16
Iron Nostarion
Maiden Whore
So he will just basically replace all the great wolf-like howling and screeching and sound uniqueness with moar run-of-the-mill vocals and clearer instruments? Meh.

But who knows, maybe it'll turn out to be good.
----
To their tombs the people are immured,
There is their gold, treasure and wealth,
The only condition is to ignore them,
Those who feed on corruption and weave death
28.09.2011 - 19:04
jazar94

Essentially what he is doing is taking those old albums and creating a compilation with them. He doesn't need the money, seeing as all the other albums are $20 a piece, so my guess is it's going to be changed up a bit or something. Fuck, I don't know, maybe it's a Jewish conspiracy to make money under the name of Burzum.
28.09.2011 - 19:12
Kenos
Account deleted
From The Depth$ Of Darkne$$
28.09.2011 - 19:32
ndawkn

In some interview he said the songs will be a bit different, like new versions. He said something like "there's nothing holy about them that would prevent me from altering them a little". Looking forward to this.
28.09.2011 - 19:38
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
The way he originally intended? You mean the albums he released back then weren't what he originally intended? Then why release anything at all? Obviously this new shit isn't the way he intended. It's a fucking cash-grab because the big man of black metal is back in the spotlight and he/his label is fighting for every penny they can get while he's still relevant.

One of my favorite bands, but this is fucking stupid.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.09.2011 - 19:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Bad English on 28.09.2011 at 17:17
To be true Burzum Varg shood stab somebody agan and do 20 years haha

I'm sure he will once he runs out of options...re-recorded material only gets you so much money to survive on. At least in prison you get food and shelter.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
28.09.2011 - 20:23
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

funny how a guy who claimed to be done with it all while in the pokey is suddenly pumping out albums and re-recordings after his release.

hopefully at least he'll treat his fans better than he did Euronymous and go full-on Negura Bunget Maiestrit and completely reinterpret pieces... rather than just take the sleazy route that other bands have taken.

finally, if this is how they were "meant to be" and they suck.... does that make the musical genius' career a giant accident?
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.09.2011 - 20:24
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Written by jazar94 on 28.09.2011 at 19:04

Essentially what he is doing is taking those old albums and creating a compilation with them. He doesn't need the money, seeing as all the other albums are $20 a piece, so my guess is it's going to be changed up a bit or something. Fuck, I don't know, maybe it's a Jewish conspiracy to make money under the name of Burzum.

wow. this is perhaps the most absurd post of the month. Varg? In on a "Jewish conspiracy"?
----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
28.09.2011 - 20:34
bluegreengod
Account deleted
Awesome...IMO the only thing wrong with the first 2 Burzum albums is the crappy recording quality. I think more bands should re-record thier older stuff once they have the means to do it better. Whether Varg is doing this to make some quick cash or not, more choices at the record store = good for fans of metal.
28.09.2011 - 21:55
Lonniehaskel

This is weird though considering most early black metal bands treasure their bad production.
28.09.2011 - 22:11
Slayer666

Written by BitterCOld on 28.09.2011 at 20:24

wow. this is perhaps the most absurd post of the month. Varg? In on a "Jewish conspiracy"?

Unless I interpreted it falsely, that was obviously a sarcastic/joking remark. Another proof we need sarcasm tags on MS, ASAP.

And yeah, re-recording those albums is beyond stupid. The production and playing style fit perfectly. Unless the whole thing is basically a remake, like what you suggested, I won't even bother checking it out.
28.09.2011 - 22:32
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Slayer666 on 28.09.2011 at 22:11

The production and playing style fit perfectly.

As for production, I won't argue, because there seems to be a legion of people who believe/assume that the way an album sounds is exactly what the band wanted. Those people will go to great lengths to defend even the crappiest production in the world using empty words like "atmosphere", "cult" or "mystique". It's bullshit if you ask me. The same applies to Burzum. One of the worst sounding bands ever is tr00 and kvlt, because it sounds like shit. How fucking ridiculous is that.

As for playing style, please, give me a break. Varg could hardly play any instrument in the 90's and it's blatantly obvious all the time. He can't play a guitar, he can't play keyboards and, above all, he has no fucking clue about playing drums. His early albums are so ridiculously sloppy, that they could be used as examples of how NOT to play rock music.

And even if you turn a blind eye on all of the above and look at compositions alone, you will also see that most of the time they're not good at all. Burzum's ONLY redeeming feature is his influence on hundreds of bands that came after him. And most of them managed to make much better music.
28.09.2011 - 22:35
BitterCOld
The Ancient One

Written by BitterCOld on 28.09.2011 at 20:24

Unless I interpreted it falsely, that was obviously a sarcastic/joking remark. Another proof we need sarcasm tags on MS, ASAP.

And yeah, re-recording those albums is beyond stupid. The production and playing style fit perfectly. Unless the whole thing is basically a remake, like what you suggested, I won't even bother checking it out.

touche'. some users i know well enough to catch it... others i don't. (and have seen a lot of non-sarcastic absurdity 'round these parts.)
----

28.09.2011 - 22:48
Slayer666

Written by Daniell on 28.09.2011 at 22:32

As for production, I won't argue, because there seems to be a legion of people who believe/assume that the way an album sounds is exactly what the band wanted. Those people will go to great lengths to defend even the crappiest production in the world using empty words like "atmosphere", "cult" or "mystique". It's bullshit if you ask me. The same applies to Burzum. One of the worst sounding bands ever is tr00 and kvlt, because it sounds like shit. How fucking ridiculous is that.

"Atmosphere" is an empty, bullshit word to you? So what do you look for in music? Here I was thinking that's the absolutely most important aspect of any album.
I personally can't imagine what Burzum would sound like with better production, and I don't want to. Even if that's not what Varg wanted his stuff to sound like, I don't give a flying fuck, because that's precisely what I want Burzum to sound like.

Quote:

As for playing style, please, give me a break. Varg could hardly play any instrument in the 90's and it's blatantly obvious all the time. He can't play a guitar, he can't play keyboards and, above all, he has no fucking clue about playing drums. His early albums are so ridiculously sloppy, that they could be used as examples of how NOT to play rock music.

Indeed. And once more, I like it just the way it is, and seriously doubt it would be any better for me if Varg was a professional, top-notch musician. This way, I know it's him playing and putting every bit of himself into it, as opposed to so many "perfect" sounding bands who polish the fuck out of every release with technology and make it sound like the album was programmed rather than performed.

Quote:

And even if you turn a blind eye on all of the above and look at compositions alone, you will also see that most of the time they're not good at all. Burzum's ONLY redeeming feature is his influence on hundreds of bands that came after him. And most of them managed to make much better music.

That's purely your point of view. As someone who heard, maybe not hundreds, but surely dozens of bands that came after Burzum, I can safely say Varg's stuff kicks the shit out of most of those bands.
28.09.2011 - 22:52
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I wonder if it will be like his other "re-interpreted" stuff:

28.09.2011 - 22:54
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Daniell on 28.09.2011 at 22:32

The production and playing style fit perfectly.

i will assume that you are not fan of black metal...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
28.09.2011 - 23:07
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by Slayer666 on 28.09.2011 at 22:48

"Atmosphere" is an empty, bullshit word to you? So what do you look for in music? Here I was thinking that's the absolutely most important aspect of any album.
I personally can't imagine what Burzum would sound like with better production, and I don't want to. Even if that's not what Varg wanted his stuff to sound like, I don't give a flying fuck, because that's precisely what I want Burzum to sound like.

It's a bullshit word when it is used to excuse bad production. Don't get me wrong. I do understand and appreciate atmosphere, obviously. But I also realise that it can be achieved through conscious, thought out production. One good example is Funeralium. Their sound is pretty clear, their self-titled album is well produced, yet they manage to sound exactly like a funeral doom band is supposed to sound: unbelievably crushing and soul shattering. All that with clear sound, and a recommended listen by the way.

But let me try to describe an album that's a seminal black metal release just like Burzum: Emperor's "Anthems to the Welkin at Dusk". The production is adequately unclear to keep up with the black metal standards of that time, but when I listen to this album, I can clearly hear that the musicians knew what they wanted and did it. This is what I would call production that enhances the music and atmosphere. Also, Emperor can actually play their instruments, and have a clue about songwriting.

Varg Vikerness had no clue about producing albums, nor did he have resources to buy that production from someone who did have a clue. What he released was simply what came out at the end of his studio time, short as it was I'm sure.

Sticking cult status on albums like Burzum's releases is wishful thinking driven by desire to have one's own personal shrine wherein to keep "untouchable" albums. And then vehemently defending them, even though these albums have next to zero things that would make them worth defending. If you check how I rated Burzum albums, you will see that I do see the band's role in black metal, but I have no illusions about their musical quality.
28.09.2011 - 23:08
Daniell
_爱情_
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 28.09.2011 at 22:54

Black metal is definitely one of my favourite subgenres of metal, with Enslaved and Drudkh being among my 10 favourite bands of all time.
28.09.2011 - 23:19
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Daniell on 28.09.2011 at 23:08

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 28.09.2011 at 22:54

Black metal is definitely one of my favourite subgenres of metal, with Enslaved and Drudkh being among my 10 favourite bands of all time.

well before that guys polished it,it was a genre intentionally raw and terribly produced.Some musicians were good but for the sake of creating such "evil,corpse,dead"sound ,intentionally played it on the simple way,other were just not that good musicians.But at the end it turnout to be good thing.You know ,all this Burzum thing a side,I belive that the sound of BM is rather created by accident,you know a mix of simple musicianship,cheep production and complete dedication of musicians and fans.
we could argue about how good or bad Varg is as a musician (he is not probably better guitar player than me),but the fact is that he managed to create some good stuff of the genre still stands.Of course i agree with you and everyone else who says that this new record smells like "money $$$$" but i would not that easily piss over his work.
just my 2 cents i guess...
----

Hits total: 7205 | This month: 7