02. Fluid Tap
03. The Map
04. Raider Acceleration
05. Black Dog Throwbacks
06. Raider II [demo]

Guest review by
K✞ulu
Rating:
I do not consider myself qualified enough to review an album by now a living legend, Steven Wilson. Neither do I know his works with Porcupine Tree well nor his side projects and not even his debut as a solo artist Insurgentes very well; however, I simply can't help writing about this opus that Steven has created. Dedicated to his late father, Grace for Drowning is a very capacious record: there is place for both serenity and aggression, stretched out pieces of ambience and straight-forward heavy riffs or even convoluted sax and key solos. This, more or less, summarizes the first two tracks, but there is a lot more thought-provoking material on this double album.

Read more ››
published 30.12.2012 | Comments (2)

Found in 33 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 55   Visited by: 863 users
28.09.2011 - 15:26
Rating: 8
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Excellent record!!!

Didn't have a lot of expectations for this one but hell, this surprised me a lot.
With all the KC influences and the jazz musicians he got, the songs remain so unique still.
28.09.2011 - 15:48
Rating: 9
Acidjunkie

While I have no argument with the quality of this record, where exactly does this fit in remotely to category metal / hard-rock? We maintain a huge list of bands that will likely never appear on Metal Storm, but Steven Wilson is here?

Imagine this being metal record of the year....;-)
28.09.2011 - 19:13
Yugosaki

Boring
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
28.09.2011 - 19:25
JohnDoe
Account deleted
Great album; not a metal album, but those that enjoy prog rock and progressive metal should give it a try, it's definitely worth it IMO.
28.09.2011 - 21:50
JaimeLeonel

Written by Yugosaki on 28.09.2011 at 19:13

Boring

It is actually pretty good, prog rock is not for you then.
----
k
28.09.2011 - 23:29
ravendeath

Very good record! It's a little bit difficult to get into Stevens music, but it's worth...
29.09.2011 - 13:33
Rating: 10
Ikeproggie

Simply the best prog album of the year!
29.09.2011 - 18:01
lickmysoul

Absolutely amazing, great work of many jazz-prog-post-dark artists here. album of the year, so far
29.09.2011 - 23:46
Rating: 6
giok99

Well, better to listen to Pink Floyds. Too calm for me
----
Nothing is real
30.09.2011 - 08:05
Introspekrieg
Totemic Lust
I am absolutely stunned by this one... but I'm trying to be sensible and listen to the music for what it is, and not be blinded by the guest musicians list.
30.09.2011 - 11:55
Rating: 6
Prometheus

Worst album of the year! boring !! the most of the songs are instumental,duration of the songs about 8 minutes .
i cant believe that this in first in the top 20. blackfield was good but this is crap , and more crap compared with others metal album like septicflesh or symphony x and new dream theater and amorphis. this shit has really really disappointed me:nono:
30.09.2011 - 13:53
ravendeath

Written by Prometheus on 30.09.2011 at 11:55

Worst album of the year! boring !! the most of the songs are instumental,duration of the songs about 8 minutes .
i cant believe that this in first in the top 20. blackfield was good but this is crap , and more crap compared with others metal album like septicflesh or symphony x and new dream theater and amorphis. this shit has really really disappointed me:nono:

Come on... you can't vote for this with 1. One's for really really dreadfull album with no talent, no ideas, etc. Steven is (even if you don't like his music) one of the most talented artists around, and yes, his music is not for everybody, but certainly it doesn't deserve such a negative vote...
30.09.2011 - 16:08
ravendeath

Written by Prometheus on 30.09.2011 at 16:07

Written by ravendeath on 30.09.2011 at 13:53

Come on... you can't vote for this with 1. One's for really really dreadfull album with no talent, no ideas, etc. Steven is (even if you don't like his music) one of the most talented artists around, and yes, his music is not for everybody, but certainly it doesn't deserve such a negative vote...

ok 3 for only three good songs

That is better! But 1,...Hell no!
30.09.2011 - 16:43
Acidjunkie

Agreed, but likely this album will attract more '1's soon due to that this album does not belong on MS. I love other genres, and quite like this album, but having it on MS?
30.09.2011 - 17:02
ravendeath

Quote:
Agreed, but likely this album will attract more '1's soon due to that this album does not belong on MS. I love other genres, and quite like this album, but having it on MS?

You're right. This album has a little to do with metal, except for some parts. But MS is an open minded site (thank god!) and also such albums and bands are featured here. First of all, I think that if you don't listen to a specific genre, than don't bash amazing albums just because that it's not from a specific genre that you admire!
30.09.2011 - 17:06
Absak

I thought this site was called Metalstorm...
30.09.2011 - 17:37
arj

I really like it. Actually better than the first. This one is more coherent for me.
01.10.2011 - 03:47
Ikeproggie

Written by ravendeath on 30.09.2011 at 16:08

I think that people who have no ear for progressive rock should REFRAIN to even vote.

What I mean is that me personally the death / black metal is shit and still do not judge their albums that are aberrant and only generate aggressive behavior and repulsive acts.
01.10.2011 - 08:22
Acidjunkie

Written by Ikeproggie on 01.10.2011 at 03:47

I think that people who have no ear for progressive rock should REFRAIN to even vote.

What I mean is that me personally the death / black metal is shit and still do not judge their albums that are aberrant and only generate aggressive behavior and repulsive acts.

You just "judged" two entire genres? ;-) But yeah I get your point. Oh well, let's see where this album ends up. album of the year? Would be funny. I might even vote for it myself since I pretty much like it.
01.10.2011 - 18:36
Quinaitor

Written by Acidjunkie on 01.10.2011 at 08:22

You just "judged" two entire genres? ;-) But yeah I get your point. Oh well, let's see where this album ends up. album of the year? Would be funny. I might even vote for it myself since I pretty much like it.

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was a NON JUDGING FAIL! Dude I'm just passing by and was looking that Steven Wilson was getting voted the best album so far, sometimes people here vote just for the name that is on the cover (like voting 2 or 3 for St Anger just because, without even asking your own self why on the earth you voted like that), well this is another case, MS is an awesome site that has a major orgasm with every Porcupine Tree or Pain Of Salvation album (on progressive minds), with even greater orgasm with every release from Moonsorrow, Immortal, Dark Moor, and I would not finish the list on 3 hours. Point is that, YES, this is an awesome album, not metal, but awesome album, IMO not a masterpiece nor album of the year. My concern is that everybody here is defending this album because is soft and prog and everything, but then that same people are ripping off Opeth for the, IMO album of the year, Heritage softness? Bullcrap...
----
Metal is flowing through my veins...
01.10.2011 - 20:13
ravendeath

Quote:
Heritage softness? Bullcrap...

My thoughts too...
02.10.2011 - 12:48
Kenos
Account deleted
Wilson has never set a trend; he's just followed it. And this album is a well done mixture of unoriginal and old (VERY old) ideas that could manage to satisfy a lot of nostalgic fans; or maybe just those who don't know what progressive rock is and where it comes from. He's over 40 and still tries to rehash King Crimson, Floyd, Hammill, Wyatt (and Canterbury-ish sound in general), Drake, Radiohead and sometimes even Massive Attack (oh, cool influences, aren't they?) without providing new insight, and of course without reaching the same levels.

THAT SAID. This album is... Pleasant, perfectly produced and played (as ever), elegant, varied and rich, but because of the aforementioned reasons it deserves nothing more than a 7.5 for me. Not exactly my album of the year.
02.10.2011 - 15:00
Acidjunkie

Written by Quinaitor on 01.10.2011 at 18:36

Written by Acidjunkie on 01.10.2011 at 08:22

And that, ladies and gentlemen, was a NON JUDGING FAIL! Dude I'm just passing by and was looking that Steven Wilson was getting voted the best album so far, sometimes people here vote just for the name that is on the cover (like voting 2 or 3 for St Anger just because, without even asking your own self why on the earth you voted like that), well this is another case, MS is an awesome site that has a major orgasm with every Porcupine Tree or Pain Of Salvation album (on progressive minds), with even greater orgasm with every release from Moonsorrow, Immortal, Dark Moor, and I would not finish the list on 3 hours. Point is that, YES, this is an awesome album, not metal, but awesome album, IMO not a masterpiece nor album of the year. My concern is that everybody here is defending this album because is soft and prog and everything, but then that same people are ripping off Opeth for the, IMO album of the year, Heritage softness? Bullcrap...

Yeah. Note that I started this discusssion, although if I didn't surely someone else would have. But I'm still torn between the following feelings:
1. This album has no place on MS
2. I quite like this album, it just 'breathes' quality.

At the moment I'm closer to #2, so I'm going to vote for this album regardless of #1. I just do not care any longer.
02.10.2011 - 17:59
Illwill

The album is very good, Steven Wilson is a genius but this album should not be here. Because of his work with Opeth, Orpahaned Land and his Porcupine Tree, "Grace for Drowning" should not be by default included here. By proxy, then ->METAL<- Storm should add and rate Black Eyes Peas because Fergie worked with Slash and there are tons of other examples.
Keep it real, keep it METAL
02.10.2011 - 18:10
Kenos
Account deleted
Oh and, please, that neintanke fake/vote abuser should be banned...
02.10.2011 - 20:25
Absak

People shouldn't bitch about vote abusers voting this a 1 at all. Because the rating is totally irrelevant, this should not even be here. I can't imagine what went through the guy's head who added this artist to Metalstorm. I know that this site is a lot more open minded/less purist than Metal-Archives, but damn.
03.10.2011 - 09:32
zero

Cant rate it... I have to listen to it a bit more
03.10.2011 - 22:44
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Absak on 02.10.2011 at 20:25

People shouldn't bitch about vote abusers voting this a 1 at all. Because the rating is totally irrelevant, this should not even be here. I can't imagine what went through the guy's head who added this artist to Metalstorm. I know that this site is a lot more open minded/less purist than Metal-Archives, but damn.

Steven Wilson became known to EVERY metalhead out there due to his little bromance with Akerfeldt, and a lot of them checked out and fell in love with Porcupine Tree as well as Blackfield and his solo project. It says in the MS rules that every artist strongly related to metal or rock artist with influence on metal bands and a huge metalhead fanbase can be added. We have a lot of those bands on MS.

Hell, Alcest and the similar are barely black metal, we have atmospheric rock like Shamrain, gothic rock like Diary Of Dreams, goth rock/shoegazers like This Empty Flow... So why shouldn't this man be here? Not a fan (yet) or anything, but hey, you can't deny the name is huge and important.
----
7.0 means the album is good
04.10.2011 - 09:54
Fusion Monster

Whatever it is ( pop , rap, R&B ,jazz,new age,latino ,lounge ,metal ,rock ) !!!!!!!! steven wilson is a genius & professor
04.10.2011 - 15:05
Malevolent-Jim

I liked it a fair bit, more than the new Opeth. But album of the year? Hardly.

Hits total: 17322 | This month: 17