05. The Abyss

Video clips
06. Teutonic Terror
07. Pandemic

Guest review by
Valentin B
Rating:
N/A
When Accept released the album Blood Of The Nations in 2010, it was regarded as the comeback of the year and even won the coveted Metal Storm Award for Best Heavy Metal Album. How does a band follow that up? Apparently Accept thought that the recipe worked just fine and decided to fix just the (few) issues that were wrong with that album and release a new one in the same vein. Andy Sneap also makes a return as the producer, and the sound can be described as clear and immense, which intensifies the experience of every track.

Read more ››
published 26.07.2012 | Comments (5)

Found in 40 lists
Top lists

Comments

Comments: 49   Visited by: 1011 users
28.09.2011 - 22:01
Rating: 9
Zender 1.8
Indestructible
The heavy metal style that i truly like!
i can't wait for it!
ACCEPT Rules \m/!!
27.02.2012 - 00:15
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
27.02.2012 - 00:34
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Fing killer song Accept whit Mark ius much better how whit udo, Udo vox is not so powerfull, this is agresive, this is agresor , german pazner drive over .... whit such music you can win all wars, realy last album was killer blast this supose to be killer to
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
28.02.2012 - 12:54
serega25

New song Stalingrad is powerfull
05.03.2012 - 21:49
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by Bad English on 27.02.2012 at 00:34

Fing killer song Accept whit Mark ius much better how whit udo, Udo vox is not so powerfull, this is agresive, this is agresor , german pazner drive over .... whit such music you can win all wars, realy last album was killer blast this supose to be killer to

Hm... he's powefull, but nothing can beat the real shorty mastermind Udo.
27.03.2012 - 23:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Just finished my first listening to the full album, and amazingly, it's even better than "Blood Of The Nations"! It's like this lineup is starting to really gel, and getting even more formidable for it. It's a more dynamic album than it's predecessor, whilst still keeping all their classic heavy metal hallmarks intact. I was so impressed with it, I immediately ordered the special mail order edition of the album after I heard it!

On my second listen now... "Hung, Drawn & Quartered" is a magnificent opener! A toal neckbreaker, but also featuring some breathtaking melodies and harmonic solos by Wolf and Herman!
28.03.2012 - 06:18
Rating: 10
Rulatore

Holy shit, this one is awesome !

Hellfire is my fav for sure
28.03.2012 - 19:49
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Rulatore on 28.03.2012 at 06:18

"Hellfire" is an absolutely killer song and no mistake! I can't believe how vital the band sound at this late stage in their career. And without their original legendary frontman no less... amazing! xD
28.03.2012 - 20:33
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Hmm, so it's leaked.. gonna listen to it sometime very verry soon

the title track wasn't as interesting for me, but I'm quite pumped about this seeing your comments
28.03.2012 - 21:13
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Valentin B on 28.03.2012 at 20:33

Hmm, so it's leaked.. gonna listen to it sometime very verry soon

the title track wasn't as interesting for me, but I'm quite pumped about this seeing your comments

Happy listening, hope you love it as much as I do!

I didn't think much to the title track either, though it has grown on me in time, and sounds much better within the context of the full album. I don't think it was a very good choice to release that particular song first before the album's release. I'm pretty confident though, that any doubts you have will be blown away after the first minute or so of the opening track... lol xD
28.03.2012 - 21:50
Rulatore

Written by Angelic Storm on 28.03.2012 at 19:49

Written by Rulatore on 28.03.2012 at 06:18

"Hellfire" is an absolutely killer song and no mistake! I can't believe how vital the band sound at this late stage in their career. And without their original legendary frontman no less... amazing! xD

I honestly dont give a fuck about their original frontman I didnt even listened to a song of those days ( I pretty sure I dont know none ).

Stalingrad it's a very good album, much better than I expected and Hellfire is just amazing ! wish I could order the special limited edition with the red t-shirt
29.03.2012 - 01:57
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Wow, this is absolutely glorious, I remember the feeling I had when I heard "Beat the Bastards" from Blood of the Nations the first time, and it's about the same which I feel now, that the genre of heavy metal is still alive and can still produce awesome stuff even long after it's supposed "demise". The title track is absolutely ripping in the context of this album, even though it was for me slightly disappointing when they released it. Definitely didn't expect this to be as good as it is, though I'll have to let it sink in for a bit.

All I'm sad about now is that I'll have to wait 3 months to write a review, haha.

edit: after finishing the first spin I gotta say it's definitely on par with Blood of the Nations, though not as consistent in quality, there are some slightly forgettable tracks, but I'll need to listen to this again to form an opinion. It loses some momentum in the second part (who the hell can keep writing stuff like Hung Drawn and Quartered for the duration of an entire album), but The Galley is awesome! row! row! row!
29.03.2012 - 05:12
Lit.
Account deleted
This is class-5 metal. I cant decide if I like this or BOTN better.
29.03.2012 - 11:26
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Rulatore on 28.03.2012 at 21:50
I honestly dont give a fuck about their original frontman I didnt even listened to a song of those days ( I pretty sure I dont know none ).

Stalingrad it's a very good album, much better than I expected and Hellfire is just amazing ! wish I could order the special limited edition with the red t-shirt

What, you've never heard the Udo era stuff? I suggest you rectify that situation asap! I can see the advantage of listening to the new Accept though without the knowledge of their previous stuff, as there's no pre-concieved expectations. But I can say that as a massive Udo-era Accept fan, Mark Tornillo has worked his way into my heart, and he has done the Accept name and legacy proud. The 2 albums since their comeback have been awesome.

I have ordered the limited edition with the t-shirt, can't wait for it!

@Valentin: Yep, the feeling I got when I first heard "Hung, Drawn & Quartered" reminded me of how I felt when I first heard "Beat The Bastards" come slamming out of my speakers. And it was like that for me with title track too. It seems much stronger within the full album context.

I was thinking about doing a review for this album in 3 months time, but I think I'll leave it to you.

About forgettable tracks, I will say around 3 of the songs took about 3 plays for them to embed themselves into my psyche, but they are just growers, definitely not fillers. At least not for me. Now songs like "Shadow Soldiers" and "Twist Of Fate" which didn't impress me hugely at first, I now love! "Hung, Drawn & Quartered" is a very immediate song, but after a few plays, the whole album really comes into it's own. They definitely proved that "Blood Of The Nations" was no fluke!
29.03.2012 - 13:49
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Just listened to it again, and yeah, I gotta agree with AS, this is even better than Blood of the Nations. how the hell did they manage to do this I don't know, like where the hell did Wolf (I presume) come up with that verse riff in Hung, holy shit. Definitely a modern classic. screw Priest, Maiden, and everyone else, Accept are the hottest heavy metal band out there at this point. I also love how extended and good the solo's are, even in Hung the main solo lasts for over a minute and almost 2 minutes in the title track. I play guitar too and I have difficulties keeping a guitar solo interesting for more than 20 seconds, I'm confident Wolf and Hermann could solo for 15 minutes straight without sounding boring.

thanks for letting me review it btw, but now I'll have to explain how I rated Blood with 9.7 and I have to rate this one even higher which is quite difficult

just placed my order for the CD, it was 22 euros which sadly is the amount I earn in a whole day, but who the hell cares, CHAINED! TO THE GALLEYOFPAIN!
29.03.2012 - 15:51
Druss

After finishing my first spin, and this is amazing. Like a few people have already said, better than BotN for me, so friggin' consistant and heavy, and I have a feeling I already know what my favourite heavy metal album of the year is 'cus I honestly can't see how this can be beaten.
29.03.2012 - 16:38
Angelic Storm
Melodious
@Valentin: I definitely did not expect them to go and top "Blood Of The Nations". I thought to even equal it, was a tall order. But amazingly, top it is exactly what they've done! It has everything that made that album great, whilst being a more dynamic album overall. I have to agree about the solos on the album too. As a guitarist myself, I really am astounded at what Wolf and Herman have managed to conjur up this time around. The solos are highly memorable and lengthy, whilst also being explosive at times. Just awesome!

As for the review, well... it's been a while since I reviewed anything on MS, and was thinking of maybe reviewing something again. But I'm not very confident in my review writing skills, I think you'd do a better job of it. Besides, I think both of us would have very similar views on the album, so having two reviews for the same album having a similar rating might be a bit much. hehe

The 2 minute outro to "The Galley" is one of the most memorable outros to a song in my recent memory... it's a glorious ending to a majorly epic song! xD
31.03.2012 - 21:39
Rulatore

@Angelic: I think that I wont check that era too soon after listening to some songs from restless and wild and balls to the walls, dont know why, but to me now it's better

@Valentin: Dont know why you didnt like the title track, to me one of the very best the chorus is simply amazing.
06.04.2012 - 02:45
John Shock

Written by Druss on 29.03.2012 at 15:51

After finishing my first spin, and this is amazing. Like a few people have already said, better than BotN for me, so friggin' consistant and heavy, and I have a feeling I already know what my favourite heavy metal album of the year is 'cus I honestly can't see how this can be beaten.

Me either, this is awesome! \m/
06.04.2012 - 03:10
John Shock

I finished the second listen now, and i'm amazed! \m/ fuck...Accept is growing in me, or finally Nuclear Blast is making miracles! I mean, these old bands on Nuclear Blast, just blasts everything! Look at Overkill...and see what my point is!
07.04.2012 - 07:34
Metal Addiction

I just got it today. In my personal opinion, current accept is better than UDO era. This album is cool
07.04.2012 - 20:03
Zender 1.8
Indestructible
IT"S US AGAINST THE WORLD \\m// \\m// \\m//
HELLFIRE
JOIN THE REVOLUTION
((THIS IS FUCKING AWESOME ALBUM))
09.04.2012 - 12:54
R Lewis

Read so many posts 'bout Hellfire, but what about Revolution? And Twist of Fate? Finally an album that doesn't lose his legs in the second half! TERRIFIC!!
----
We could be so much more than we are. Stop.
10.04.2012 - 11:25
Infernal Eternal

Really good album.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
10.04.2012 - 11:27
Infernal Eternal

Accept is one of the few bands that still release good stuff.
----
{}::::::[]:::::::::::::::::> ONLY DEATH IS REAL <:::::::::::::::::[]::::::{}
Rest In Peace: Bon Scott, Dave G. Halliday, Michael "Destructor" Wulf, Jerry Fogle, Quorthon, Witchhunter
23.04.2012 - 14:51
Rating: 7
Yugosaki

Solid album
----
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EaEBpRWr2IA
24.04.2012 - 00:44
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I checked out some of Accept's setlists and it appears they played "Hung Drawn and Quartered" just once on their current tour, which is a shame as imo it's the best track on this album and one of Accept's top songs ever (along with Teutonic Terror and Beat the Bastards from their previous), and fuses beautifully so many aspects of old and new Accept: pompous operatic riffs like in the intro, complex layerings, anthemic stadium choruses, and of course that amazing harmonized solo, all cramped in just 4 minutes and 30 seconds of awesome.

In a time when former classic 80s bands soften up and slow down like midlife crisis has taken over them, this is a breath of fresh air and if they pull off a third album at the same quality, it's gonna be a new golden age for Accept.
03.05.2012 - 10:10
Zombie94

Superb album. Really catchy and this more recent vocalist is great. Long live trad. heavy metal!
04.05.2012 - 09:38
Rating: 8
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Blood Of The Nations had a few strong tracks, but this album as a whole is stronger in general I would say. It's honestly one of the most well balanced albums I've heard from them.
30.05.2012 - 15:14
Oaken
Hipster
Wasn't "Hung, Drawn And Quartered" a song by Cancer?
----
In that case, man is only air as well.

Hits total: 21583 | This month: 25