Metal Storm logo
Angra - Edu Falaschi Takes A Break From Singing

Angra and Almah vocalist, Edu Falaschi, has announced that he will take a break from singing and focus on being a producer and a composer. However, he might return to take over vocal duties in the future.

The singer made this official statement: "Dear friends, at last I would like to clarify some facts about my voice with all the sincerity, humility and integrity that I may have."

"For over 20 years I have worked without a day off in the Heavy Metal style, and we all know how difficult and technically demanding it is. Joining Angra I had to fit a particularly high way of singing, which was totally out of my range, and of the vast majority of the singers! At the time I took the responsibility and faced all the pressure. But 10 years ago it was much easier due to the physical factor, excitement and age. I started to feel, year after year, gradually, the difficulties of singing something so high and out of my natural trait. I fought to the end! I did everything possible to continue to sing the songs, particularly the old ones, always in high pitches, because the melodic metal audience has ever "demanded" this of us singers. But unfortunately, today, older and more experienced, I assume that I am no longer able to sing so high. I am extremely tired and feeling the weight of all that in my voice, including the region that has always been the most comfortable for me! I'm a baritone singer who dominates the mediums and lows, with drive, singing with a more aggressive chest voice, as I did in Symbols and do in Almah. I have conquered many things and built much of my story with my own style."

"Therefore, I made a decision, thinking only and exclusively about the health of my voice and integrity of my career, which I have built with so much struggle and dedication. After fulfilling all the promotional activities of Motion, scheduled until the end of the year, I will stop indefinitely to finally rest and be able to deal properly with my health. But I have to point out that from today on I'll just sing whatever is in my natural range, be it in Angra or any other band, for my own good! I want to be who I really am, instead of being what people want me to be! In the meantime, I'll continue with my activities as a producer and composer, which are things I love doing, and will not harm at all the progress of my recovery."

"Thank you from the bottom of my heart to all the fans who always supported me and defend me unconditionally! I will always do my best writing and singing good music for you guys, with all my truth and emotion! This is the first step to a new time in my life! I have confidence in the future and will always be passionate about the greatest music ever, Heavy Metal!

Edu Falaschi"

Source: edufalaschi.com.br
Band profile: Angra
Posted: 30.09.2011 by MacPolaris

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 23   Visited by: 171 users
30.09.2011 - 11:42
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Woah.... I wonder if this means Angra will now go on an indefinite hiatus until Edu feels ready to sing again, or if they'll replace him.

It's definitely understandable why he feels he needs to do this though. I wish him all the best! <3
30.09.2011 - 14:54
ParL

Best of wishes for Edu and thank you for the great times, what an amazing artist!
----
"What you do in life, echoes in Eternity"
30.09.2011 - 14:54
WorpeX
Made of Metal
Doesn't bother me! He doesn't need to sing high pitches to be awesome!
30.09.2011 - 15:31
Bad English
Tage Westerlund
Good news, no more boring band
----
Life is to short for LOVE, there is many great things to do online !!!

Stormtroopers of Death - ''Speak English or Die''
apos;'
[image]
I better die, because I never will learn speek english, so I choose dieing
30.09.2011 - 15:42
Danyael

I really admire his honesty and I hope he gets better. But wth, hes a BARITONE? Sure doesn't sound like one to me. I never would have believe it. In fact I still don't lol.
30.09.2011 - 15:46
Danyael

Written by Bad English on 30.09.2011 at 15:31

You know whats boring? People who throw out over 30959 posts and still don't manage to improve their English! hehehe
30.09.2011 - 17:58
BlankFile

I think Edu´s voice is getting worse since Temple of Shadows. He really needs a break, mainly from Angra projects. Hope he gets better.
30.09.2011 - 18:09
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by BlankFile on 30.09.2011 at 17:58

I think Edu´s voice is getting worse since Temple of Shadows. He really needs a break, mainly from Angra projects. Hope he gets better.

Agreed. I heard him sing at Rock In Rio last week and he sounded awful... His voice kept breaking up, and sounding out of tune. It wouldnt surprise me if that performance was the final straw that made him take this decision.

I wonder... if Angra now will try and get Andre Matos back in the band... lol
30.09.2011 - 19:33
Lit.
Account deleted
Written by Danyael on 30.09.2011 at 15:46

Written by Bad English on 30.09.2011 at 15:31

You know whats boring? People who throw out over 30959 posts and still don't manage to improve their English! hehehe

Thank you!
30.09.2011 - 19:37
Rulatore

Written by Angelic Storm on 30.09.2011 at 18:09

Agreed. I heard him sing at Rock In Rio last week and he sounded awful... His voice kept breaking up, and sounding out of tune. It wouldnt surprise me if that performance was the final straw that made him take this decision.

Their sound were totally fucked up, he doesnt sing that good, but neither that bad. Sad that happened it to they.
30.09.2011 - 19:42
Milena
gloom cookie
The first singer to admit this actually. This is interesting...
"I did everything possible to continue to sing the songs, particularly the old ones, always in high pitches, because the melodic metal audience has ever "demanded" this of us singers."
Ummm, no, we don't?
----
7.0 means the album is good
30.09.2011 - 20:19
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Rulatore on 30.09.2011 at 19:37
Their sound were totally fucked up, he doesnt sing that good, but neither that bad. Sad that happened it to they.

Well, to be fair to him he did improve as the show went on, but still compared to him at his best, it was pretty bad.
01.10.2011 - 04:01
Danyael

Written by Milena on 30.09.2011 at 19:42

"I did everything possible to continue to sing the songs, particularly the old ones, always in high pitches, because the melodic metal audience has ever "demanded" this of us singers."
Ummm, no, we don't?

Nahhh.. we kinda do. No fun listening to, for example, Painkiller one octave lower. Same goes for Carry On and Nothing To Say.
01.10.2011 - 04:07
Nacur

Well, after the Rock'n Rio concert...this is the only right thing to do.
01.10.2011 - 06:11
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Angra's high point with Edu was Temple of Shadows, this is actually the only album that I like with Edu. Yes I am a total Matos sucker, and I hope that he will come back to Angra.

Best of luck to Edu and the guys from Angra, they really are one of the best power metal bands out there.
----
01.10.2011 - 15:04
Milena
gloom cookie
Written by Danyael on 01.10.2011 at 04:01

Written by Milena on 30.09.2011 at 19:42

Ummm, no, we don't?

Nahhh.. we kinda do. No fun listening to, for example, Painkiller one octave lower. Same goes for Carry On and Nothing To Say.

Yeah, but still, Angra-level of high pitched voices is sometimes completely uneccessary.
----
7.0 means the album is good
01.10.2011 - 19:53
Pestilence

Written by Angelic Storm on 30.09.2011 at 18:09

Yeah I agree. I was excited to see their performance at Rock in Rio, but his voice just couldn't handle it.

I was shocked, because I think he is usually awesome live.
01.10.2011 - 20:36
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Pestilence on 01.10.2011 at 19:53
Yeah I agree. I was excited to see their performance at Rock in Rio, but his voice just couldn't handle it.

I was shocked, because I think he is usually awesome live.

I was shocked too, cos I'm a huge fan of Edu's singing. It was almost painful hearing the way his voice kept breaking up at the Rio show. I really hope Edu isn't leaving Angra, though if he is, then I hope they can get Andre Matos back in the band. That's really the only thing that would soften the blow of Edu leaving Angra...
02.10.2011 - 17:09
RavenKing

Powermetal is a very demanding genre for vocalists. That is if vocals are done properly (lots of PM bands have awful vocalists nowadays). The kind of high-pitched vocals (ridiculously high sometimes) used in PM is very hard to perform correctly and in tune. Many vocalists try to do it and fail miserably, sounding awfully forced or as if they would have been castrated.

I liked high-pitched clean vocals 15 years ago but I developped a growing dislike for this throughout the years until, around the millenia, I reached the point at which I could not stand this anymore. High-pitched clean vocals make me cringe and wince now and are a total turn off.
As much as I liked Powermetal vocals long ago, it is just plain painful for me to hear this nowadays.
Well, to be honest, I don't listen to any metal with what I would really call clean vocals anymore.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
03.10.2011 - 18:53
Sammol

I like his voice in Ego Painted Grey. They should continue with that style.

Baritone voice in power metal is unique.
03.10.2011 - 21:24
4look4rd
The Sasquatch
Written by RavenKing on 02.10.2011 at 17:09

Powermetal is a very demanding genre for vocalists. That is if vocals are done properly (lots of PM bands have awful vocalists nowadays). The kind of high-pitched vocals (ridiculously high sometimes) used in PM is very hard to perform correctly and in tune. Many vocalists try to do it and fail miserably, sounding awfully forced or as if they would have been castrated.

I liked high-pitched clean vocals 15 years ago but I developped a growing dislike for this throughout the years until, around the millenia, I reached the point at which I could not stand this anymore. High-pitched clean vocals make me cringe and wince now and are a total turn off.
As much as I liked Powermetal vocals long ago, it is just plain painful for me to hear this nowadays.
Well, to be honest, I don't listen to any metal with what I would really call clean vocals anymore.

I feel kind of the same. My reason for my growing dislike for Power Metal is the fact that vocalists are getting very bad. Matos, Kiske, Dickinson, and Deris are still a top notch vocalists, their voices have aged very well. But there are younger vocalists out there that do not have the proper training to do this type of singing so their voices deteriorate much faster. Come to think about it, I am realizing that my favorite Power Metal bands do not use high pitched vocals (Blind Guardian and Kamelot).

I think the same thing applies to growling. It has to be done properly or else it sounds like shit.
----
03.10.2011 - 21:38
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Sammol on 03.10.2011 at 18:53

I like his voice in Ego Painted Grey. They should continue with that style.

Baritone voice in power metal is unique.

Peavy Wagner from Rage is a power metal singer who never really sings high pitched notes, and sings mostly in a deep voice. So...

And Ego Painted Grey is a great song. xD
12.10.2011 - 03:59
Evil Chip

Everything would be better if Andre Matos came back (I'm a Matos sucker too). He would end up doing his suckass solo project. Nothing against Edu but he isn't well. He doesn't sound forced at all in the records but he is clearly losing his voice.

Hits total: 6283 | This month: 13