05. Grind
06. Heaven Beside You
07. Again
08. Over Now [acoustic version]
09. Nutshell [acoustic version]
10. Get Born Again
11. Died
12. Would?

Every cult band on Earth deserves to have its "best of" right? And I hope by the way, that you will all agree with me if I say that Alice In Chains is a real cult band. Since that the band from Seattle is back in front of the scene last year with a big monumental "come back" tour, their record label Columbia Records, decided to release a new best of in September 2006 (it was first settled to be released in March 2004). Let's hope that it will be a good way for some people to discover the American Grunge combo.

"The Essential Alice In Chains" is a double album with 28 songs featured on the release. Of course the mega hits like "Grind", "Heaven Beside" or "Them Bones" are all featured on the track list but you'll be able also to find some songs a bit less famous and songs that come from their MTV Unplugged album. Don't expect anything really new or unreleased it's a classic basic best of, and if all their albums are already in your collection, no need to buy this release. On the other hand and for the others ones, it can be a good way to discover Alice In Chains?

It's a compilation ok, but even, sadly, if you'll not be able to find the lyrics of all the songs in the booklet you'll be able to read a really good biography written by Steffan Chirazi. It's simple on a side but really effective and the fans like the ones who will discover the band with the help of this album, will be able to understand the whole (tragic) story of the Alice In Chains.

With a cool best of and a nice tour in 2006, who know, maybe that Alice In Chains will be back soon with a new album. I don't know what are the plans of the band right now, and evidently without Layne Staley it will never be the same, but when I listen to this album I still enjoy their music, and when I read the comments about their last tour, I have the feeling that a lot of people should be extremely happy if the band chose to release a new album. Let's see if it will happen one day?
PS: Note finally that you can find a three discs version with a DVD featuring ("The Nona Tapes", the music videos for "Grind" and "Heaven Beside You"and an additional interview footage.)

Written by Jeff | 05.10.2006

Comments

Comments: 10   Visited by: 81 users
06.10.2006 - 03:20
Dr Ikari
Account deleted
Layne Staley was the man. He had a unique voice: haunting yet beautiful. The Unplugged is one of the most beautiful live albums ever recorded. If Jerry, Mike and Sean feel like recording another album maybe they should do it under Jerry Cantrell's name. Leave AIC's history just the way it is.
06.10.2006 - 07:15
Southern Wind
Account deleted
I don't support the inclussion of non-metal reviews in this site
06.10.2006 - 08:08
PRIMAL FEAR
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 06.10.2006 at 07:15

I'll second that.
06.10.2006 - 09:28
Promonex
Cathemeral
I don't support the existence of close-mindedness on this site.

Besides, according to MA AIC were pretty metallic, more metal than Rammstein for example.
----
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu... This is the truth! This is my belief! ...At least for now.
- The Mystery of Life, Vol. 841 Ch. 26
06.10.2006 - 11:40
iaberis
Advice Troll
I've heard the album and it's really good. I just can't understand why some ppl consider it as non-metal... It sounded pretty much metal to me... But not more metal than Rammstein
----
Bitch! Please
06.10.2006 - 12:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 06.10.2006 at 07:15

Sorry to burst your bubble but AIC ARE metal, especially their first album, if you deny that album being metal then you also deny that Black Sabbath is metal. And btw, a lot of grunge is metal.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

07.10.2006 - 02:44
Dangerboner
Lactation Cnslt
Agreed. AIC are definitely a metal band and in a time period where record labels discouraged their bands to have guitar solos, Jerry Cantrell was still busting them out.
07.10.2006 - 18:35
Gerblack
Account deleted
This review made me feel curious about AIC, I've been a pure headbanger for a long, long time and the experience teaches us that being closedmind is a direct way to the stupidity... so I DO support reviews for all gammas of metal in this site! (of course I'll study AIC state of the art...)
08.10.2006 - 07:01
Jason W.
Razorbliss
Alice In Chains most certainly were metal, though yes, not in all their songs. And they are one of the few bands that truly deserved all the hype they got back in the 90s on commercial radio. Nice review!
----
"After silence that which comes nearest to expressing the inexpressible is music." - Aldous Huxley
27.08.2009 - 18:51
Panterica

Alice in Chains are the most metallic grunge band I know, It doesn't mean they're the best in the genere (I perfer Soundgarden and It's very sad that they don't have a proper page in MS ).
Layne Staley has a very unique voice and writing style, it's such a shame he's not with us anymore. I'm sorry for the new vocalist of AIC, he has big shoes to fill.
----
Li'ed - Prog-Metal from Jerusalem
https://open.spotify.com/artist/7aZWDrAAvDSLMaSmDSE8zA
https://www.facebook.com/LiedBandMusic
http://lied-band.bandcamp.com/

Hits total: 6200 | This month: 16