01. Metamorphosis
02. Nocturnal
03. Dark Clouds Of Pestilence
04. Aokigahara
05. Sacrilegious
06. Dark Matter
07. Sinister Moon
08. The Covenant

We're all guilty of it, let's face it, we all bitch about originality to a great degree. While pushing the envelope is always a fun thing to hear, it's also very satisfying to hear the traditional sound maintained while simultaneously creating an immensely interesting listen. In fact, in a lot of ways that's a more difficult path to follow; how to have personality without feeling the need to reinvent the wheel.

Graveborne play black metal, plain and simple. Think back to a time when black metal still sounded totally fricken' evil to your young, virgin ears. That's the type of black metal we're talking here. Think Marduk Rom 5:12 and you've got a good idea as to what it is you're in for. It's not the re-hashed, piercing, "why did they even bother crediting the bassist in the liner notes" bullshit that was only amusing during your brief teenage lapse of good taste. The bottom end is thick & crunchy, laying down a crushing platform for the bleak, yet vicious riffs. Did we mention the riffs yet? Much akin to the likes of recent Marduk, they intersperse some bizarre, broken-legged sounding guitar work in amongst the driving, but fairly typical chainsaw riffing. As a greater man than myself once stated: It's groin-grabbingly transcendent.

Yes, it's solid, heavy, evil, sexually arousing, rabid sounding black metal. Unfortunately, you've got to take the good with the bad. It does have it's fair share of moments of hero-worship that are just too painfully transparent. Luckily, the bulldozer bottom end makes most of these typical moments still worthy of sitting through, if not inducing a head bob or two.

So Pure Negativity sates that lust for violent, straight-forward black metal with minimal boring moments. In other words; it doesn't suck.

Written on 01.10.2011 by Former EIC. Now just a reviewer guy.

Comments

Comments: 5   Visited by: 143 users
01.10.2011 - 11:03
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Well I REALLY like the last two Marduk releases so count me in!
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
01.10.2011 - 20:45
silenius

I´m in a blackmetal-period right now so im gonna check it out
05.10.2011 - 13:43
Moosh666

I didn't like the new Marduk much at all. It seemed like they were try to make up for Panzer Division and put in more "melody", but it ended up sounding rather generic, nevertheless I'll give this a try...
05.10.2011 - 17:25
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Moosh666 on 05.10.2011 at 13:43

I didn't like the new Marduk much at all. It seemed like they were try to make up for Panzer Division and put in more "melody", but it ended up sounding rather generic, nevertheless I'll give this a try...

You can hardly get any more generic than Panzer tbh. Later Marduk is more similar to stuff like Funeral Mist and the so called orthodox black metal movement from the 2000s. It comes down to opinions though to me their last two albums are far more interesting that anything else they've done.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
07.10.2011 - 16:22
Moosh666

Panzer Division was utterly shit, so when you say it like that, yes their recent work is good I'll admit, it's just not for me is all ><

Hits total: 3669 | This month: 9