05. I Have Lost You
06. Zarathustra
07. Diasirae
08. Interlude
09. Memory And Redemption
10. The Blasphemous Visions Of Huckleberry Finn
11. Try Again. Fail Again. Fail Better.
12. Prelude #1

The guys in Against Tolerance aren't good at playing or writing thrash. At all. If it weren't for the occasional prog injections on this, it'd come close to being absolute ColumbianBrazilian-grade, pure shit. But it's not and, despite everything about this thing that looks awful on paper, I kind of like it.

What looks awful about it? It's a pretentious heap of sloppy, screamo-tinged thrash with some proggy instrumental-filler. And, c'mon, you'd have to be some car battery to the nips, uber-masochist to think that sounds cool.

The lyrics here don't help anything either. They're the sort of quasi-philosophical and redundant lines that attempt to bore and confuse you into thinking they're profound. Since I doubt many bands actually think they can fool their listeners with that sort of nonsense, I assume most are fooled by it themselves. So it's almost a source of pity for these guys for me. And pity ain't fucking metal, right?

But. However. Against Tolerance is actually a pretty talented group. A fact that can be heard in their proggy use of instrumental filler. The shit's actually pretty amusing. It's not wankish at all, and, in return, it's a lot of fun. I actually look forward to hearing it. And that's what makes this a passable album. These guys should seriously consider scrapping their whole thrash/screamo shtick and focus on honing their prog elements. If they do that, they'll be a band definitely worth checking out. Until then, don't waste your time.

Written on 01.10.2011 by Wormdrink's real name is George and he's an American.

Comments

Comments: 3   Visited by: 36 users
02.10.2011 - 22:33
Todgeist

If I knew this band I would be able to judge wether it's a good review or not, but I really hated it when you said "Brazilian Grade". Dude, I'm Brazilian, and incredibly offended by calling brazilian metal 'pure shit'. Really, it almost reaches the "American Grade" of stupid stereotyping.
02.10.2011 - 22:40
wormdrink414

Written by Todgeist on 02.10.2011 at 22:33

If I knew this band I would be able to judge wether it's a good review or not, but I really hated it when you said "Brazilian Grade". Dude, I'm Brazilian, and incredibly offended by calling brazilian metal 'pure shit'. Really, it almost reaches the "American Grade" of stupid stereotyping.

Definitely didn't mean it as an insult to Brazilians. It was a dumbshit line for sure, but Columbian-grade kinda means pure up here (see "cocaine"). But they're Brazilian, not Columbian... It's because they're on the same continent that I made the connection. Don't be offended by it.

And frankly the auto-pilot "Americans are stupid and xenophobic" shit is a bit of a worthless thing to bring up. Hypocrisy much?
03.10.2011 - 20:05
Todgeist

Written by wormdrink414 on 02.10.2011 at 22:40

Written by Todgeist on 02.10.2011 at 22:33

Definitely didn't mean it as an insult to Brazilians. It was a dumbshit line for sure, but Columbian-grade kinda means pure up here (see "cocaine"). But they're Brazilian, not Columbian... It's because they're on the same continent that I made the connection. Don't be offended by it.

And frankly the auto-pilot "Americans are stupid and xenophobic" shit is a bit of a worthless thing to bring up. Hypocrisy much?

It's not a question of xenophoby, but true, I got kind of carried away by saying that.
Good thing you didn't mean no insult to brazilian people =)
guess this discussion is all about our different cultures, after all.

Hits total: 3271 | This month: 6