Reviewer:

3 users:
Band: Enth
Album: Enth
Style: Funeral doom metal, Sludge metal
Release date: July 2011

01. Matryca
02. Godzina Ktorej Nie Ma

Enth, from Poland, like their torment slow, long, and hard. Enth has but two tracks, but those two last just on the longer side of 30 minutes, which means if you start this album just after placing a pizza order with Dominos, the delivery dude just might arrive in time to talk you off the ledge as the last notes fade to silence.

So far we've got a Eastern European artist, two tracks, 30 minutes in length, and I've talked about neighborhood basejumping without a parachute... clearly this isn't a flower power metal outfit.

Enth's brand of funeral doom features crushing riffs that are actually played at just a slow pace, which seems almost off the rails grindcore compared to others in the genre. This seemingly double digit (albeit low teens) BPM assault is combined with the requisite morose melody, followed up with stops and subsonic vocals, repeated at length.

The whole thing works like this:

Riff Riff Melody Riff Riff Melody Riff Riff Melody Riff Riff THUMP THUMP indecipherable inhuman roars. (repeat)

At times it might seem boring, but the constant wave after wave after wave eventually wears your defenses down. It's almost like sonic Stockholm Syndrome. I remember being not particularly blown away with "Matryca", digging the second track, "Godzina Ktorej Nie Ma" more... going back to the opener on another listen to found my will ground to dust. "It's a good track" I found myself thinking the second time I subjected myself to it.

Enth do add in some other elements - stark, morose piano melodies, and indecipherable gurgles (in place of roars), but the recipe doesn't stray terribly far from the genre blueprint. I guess what's most important with this style is the ability to convey torment, misery, woe, bleakness, (insert your favorite adjective for "depressive" here) ? and I found they succeeded.

I just hope the pizza guy gets here before I snap and decide to take a microwave bath.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 8
Songwriting: 7
Originality: 7
Production: 8

Written on 04.10.2011 by BitterCOld has been officially reviewing albums for MetalStorm since 2009.

Comments

Comments: 6   Visited by: 114 users
04.10.2011 - 23:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Depression to the NTH DEGREE.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
05.10.2011 - 03:42
Bloody Rain
I Am The Night
Very creative review. I might have to place an order for this one
05.10.2011 - 09:27
veeja

Written by Troy Killjoy on 04.10.2011 at 23:20

Depression to the NTH DEGREE.

Nice One and very appropriate.
05.10.2011 - 09:54
Rating: 7
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Yeah. sad I missed an obvious pun... kudos to Troy.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
05.10.2011 - 18:31
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Just backin' a brother up.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
03.05.2012 - 17:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Just got their split with Amarok, there they play 1 18 minute song and I am really digging it.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

Hits total: 3915 | This month: 3