03. Of The Leper Butterflies
04. Forget Not
05. And Plague Flowers The Kaleidoscope
06. As Icicles Fall
07. Of Petrichor Weaves Black Noise

Top 20 albums of 2012: 1
Top 200 albums of all time: 151

Additional info
Mixed and mastered by Jens Bogren (Katatonia, Opeth, Soilwork) at Fascination Street Studios, Sweden.

Released on 7 May, 2012 in Australia through Welkin Records.

Guest review by
CobiWan1993
Rating:
Now I for one am one of the newer fans of this unique progressive metal outfit. I was unaware of the Aurora Veil EP that came out in 2007, was already establishing a fan-base, and was building up significant hype for the release of Portal of I five years later. I have never even heard of Ne Obliviscaris, until right before the album was released, with the surrounding hype growing to a fever-pitch. I was finally able to order a copy from the band's label and after a few spins, I must say, I was quite impressed.

Read more ››
published 30.09.2012 | Comments (7)

Staff review by
Milena
Rating:
N/A
Reading other people's opinions is a funny thing. Before I checked it out myself, I was convinced Ne Obliviscaris would sound like a bastard child of meloblack-infused Wintersun and Into Eternity on drugs. And I'm not going to lie to you, there's definitely a bit of that in Portal Of I, but that's only a part of the picture.

Read more ››
published 24.10.2012 | Comments (23)

Guest review by
Lucerna
Rating:
I was introduced to this band by a friend of mine whose taste in metal was quite similar to mine; he showed me a video of "As Icicles Fall". This took my attention, and I decided to check these guys out; and I was very pleased with what I heard.

Read more ››
published 04.06.2014 | Comments (3)

Found in 101 lists
Top lists

Comments page 5 / 6

Comments: 165   Visited by: 2254 users
16.10.2012 - 17:34
Rating: 6
Alex F
Slick Dick Rick
Written by JÄY on 23.09.2012 at 00:04

Dont get what all the fuss is about

My thoughts exactly
17.10.2012 - 05:18
Rating: 9
Destructo

Definitely sitting in my Top-5 for the year. Fresh ideas beautifully constructed and performed. Love it !!
21.10.2012 - 08:58
Rating: 7
The Melting Snow

Forget Not... beautiful
25.10.2012 - 00:05
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Hmm decided to check it out since it seems to be causing a bit of a stir....dont really see the big deal. This severely generic - everyone seems to pis themselves because of the violin and all of a sudden its progressive extreme metal. The violin doesnt all of a sudden make it less generic.

Who knows maybe another listen will push this beyond 6/10 - it just sounds like Taake with violins at the moment.
25.10.2012 - 00:47
Rating: 8
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Guest on 25.10.2012 at 00:05

This severely generic - everyone seems to pis themselves because of the violin and all of a sudden its progressive extreme metal. The violin doesnt all of a sudden make it less generic.

Your comment is weird. This is not extreme prog purely because of the violin, nor is it the reason alone to classify anything as generic. There's so many things not commonplace that I'm not arsed to start replying to you with a review, but I'll just say that it's particularly interesting in bass guitar. Good that you're willing to give it more spins because it's rather massive
25.10.2012 - 06:20
Rating: 10
Wilt

it just sounds like Taake with violins at the moment.

Are you kidding, have you heard Taake...? Absolutely nothing remotely similar.
25.10.2012 - 06:41
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Taake had a banjo XD
----
loves 小巫
25.10.2012 - 20:51
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Written by Wilt on 25.10.2012 at 06:20

Well for some reason a few songs really reminded me of Taake. Might not be something very obvious to others but it made me think of Doedskvad a little bit. But I did listen to it again and its better than the first time, only now I think it sounds too much like Enslaved, the blackmetalish bits especially sounds to me a lot like them. Sort of the way Ikuined Kaamos sounds like Opeth.

Its not bad, its just not really something that made me sit up or share in the excitement. Around 7/10 for me.
26.10.2012 - 04:27
Wilt

Written by Guest on 25.10.2012 at 20:51

Written by Wilt on 25.10.2012 at 06:20

Well for some reason a few songs really reminded me of Taake. Might not be something very obvious to others but it made me think of Doedskvad a little bit. But I did listen to it again and its better than the first time, only now I think it sounds too much like Enslaved, the blackmetalish bits especially sounds to me a lot like them. Sort of the way Ikuined Kaamos sounds like Opeth.

Its not bad, its just not really something that made me sit up or share in the excitement. Around 7/10 for me.

Fair enough, each to their own... but yeah for me Ikuinen Kaamos doesn't sound like Opeth either.
29.10.2012 - 16:55
Erik M.

Funny to see a lot of different opinions here. I was actually one of the few people blown away by this album.

Definitely the best album I heard in a long time. It's extreme and has a ton of variety going on. I also love progressive metal and long songs, so that helps too.
03.11.2012 - 16:47
Rating: 5
Arcesse Eum

This is basically Unexpect without the insanity - its ok... got bored a lot.
----
As above, so below.
11.11.2012 - 20:58
ferritometal

Is one of the albums of the year, the music is very technical but with feeling!!
12.11.2012 - 00:20
Fallen Ghost
Craft Beer Geek
I am one of the persons that got totally blown away by this. I have listened to this several times, and it just seems that I never can get enough of this. I am impressed that there are NO boring moments in this album, it is just PERFECT! I love that they actually use the bass guitar as an instrument and not just to make the sound thicker. And the violins.. Epic. I hope they don't fuck up the follow up, but this album will be REALLY HARD for them to top!
15.11.2012 - 18:46
Valaskjalf
Account deleted
Ok Im changing my mind again...all of a sudden I like it, but I dont know why. Its really confusing because I cant understand why I would like this, I usually dont like stuff like this. Was listening to it at work today and somehow I managed to listen to the album 4 times in a row without getting bored.

There's some parts of it that seem too generic, especially the first song - the opening riff is probably one that every single blackmetal band has used, but from then on its good. Dont agree with the technicality, I think its a pretty straightforward album, but it pushes the right buttons for me. Buttons I didnt quite know I have, and in a way I still dont know if I have them!?
11.02.2013 - 20:32
saturnus

Fuckin best album
13.03.2013 - 16:01
Rhiannon
Account deleted
I checked this album out because of some people said it sounds like Wintersun (which I love), but I couldn't find any similarities... The songs are too boring for me, although I like the violin and the clean vocals. Maybe it needs more spins to get into, but I just don't have the patience... I see that it's quality music and the members are talented, but it's just not for me.
18.04.2013 - 21:01
chomskeet

This is undoubtably my favorite album of the past 3 years. I actually screened this when it first came out and it didn't catch. However, it stayed on the top ten for so long I gave it a better chance months later. Boy am I glad other metalstormers are not as impatient as I. It definitely deserves a way better score than 8.4. It is a beautiful blend of progressive black metal and to top it all off......a violin. Sounds kitschy but the violin fits perfectly and is not overdone. That's actually the best thing this album does, nothing is overdone, and this is because it has so many elements to incorporate. It feels as if innumerable hours were spent mixing everything together to create a cohesive yet immensely varying masterpiece. There are clean vocals (including limited usage of falsetto), gutteral vocals, and even occasional high-pitched shriek vocals (As Icicles Fall). The vocals are placed intermittently with long instrumental sections in between with an astounding variability of styles utilized. To top it all off this album probably has the most outstanding lyrics I've ever seen in metal. I listen almost exclusively to metal but even I have to admit the lyrics usually suck. Forget not is the saddest song you could ever listen to after someone dies. To me that's pretty fucking metal.
19.05.2013 - 20:00
Zap
I'm looking forward to what these guys can come up with next, there's a lot of potential here. This album has some amazing moments, but there's also a lot of messing around, so I hope they can focus their ideas on the next album.
14.07.2013 - 08:38
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by HaaskAksaaH on 17.08.2012 at 14:25

Australia would be the Scandinavia of following decade with no fucking doubt ! \m/ \m/

Just look at the chart .. 1 - Legendary Be'lakor 2 - Majestic Ne Obliviscaris

I'm just fucked up !

add to the list "Circadian Pulse" (Progressive Metal) and "Metreya" (Thrash Metal) .. both of them are underground and obscure, but they will have a bright future!
22.08.2013 - 02:32
Kuroboshi

I really didn't like these guys too much until I saw them live yesterday. An impeccable performance. My god, they are good at their instruments. Really good performers as well. It was my first time seeing a violin at a metal show, but it really fit! After seeing the show, I just started appreciating the small things in the album, that never got through to me on the first 10 tries. I'd recommend anyone seeing their show. They said their going to Europe soon!
18.01.2014 - 02:38
Alondate

One of the greatest albums ever made. Every song is simply a masterpiece
26.01.2014 - 11:44
Rating: 7
The Melting Snow

To me, Forget Not is a masterpiece.

Rest of the album is annoying.
15.02.2014 - 11:43
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by The Melting Snow on 26.01.2014 at 11:44

To me, Forget Not is a masterpiece.

Rest of the album is annoying.

I think you should give the album more listens, trust me you'll change your mind!
19.04.2014 - 03:07
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by Guest on 13.03.2013 at 16:01

I checked this album out because of some people said it sounds like Wintersun (which I love), but I couldn't find any similarities... The songs are too boring for me, although I like the violin and the clean vocals. Maybe it needs more spins to get into, but I just don't have the patience... I see that it's quality music and the members are talented, but it's just not for me.

They can never be like Wintersun, i don't find any similarities too, but please, if you can't appreciate the nifty music by saying it's a boring album and it's not for you then don't vote on the album. IMO this is one of the best albums of all time and giving it a 5 is bullshit!
19.04.2014 - 03:08
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
This album should be included in the best albums of all time list!
26.04.2014 - 23:09
Rhiannon
Account deleted
Written by BloodJuNkie on 19.04.2014 at 03:07

They can never be like Wintersun, i don't find any similarities too, but please, if you can't appreciate the nifty music by saying it's a boring album and it's not for you then don't vote on the album. IMO this is one of the best albums of all time and giving it a 5 is bullshit!

I listened the album several times, so It's not like I voted for something I don't know... And it would be a pretty boring site if only those people who liked an album could vote
26.04.2014 - 23:35
BloodJuNkie
Of Egypt
Written by Guest on 26.04.2014 at 23:09

Written by BloodJuNkie on 19.04.2014 at 03:07

I listened the album several times, so It's not like I voted for something I don't know... And it would be a pretty boring site if only those people who liked an album could vote

Hmm, It's a matter of taste after all..
04.06.2014 - 10:33
_deepblack

Its a Great achievment for 9 years trying
09.08.2014 - 21:53
Loendt

Perfection.
17.08.2014 - 12:25
bugsterscrow

Yeah extreme prog metal sounds like black....

Hits total: 51608 | This month: 60