Metal Storm logo
Top 10 Albums of 2011

I have decided to whittle this down to 10 albumsl

Honorable mentions: Mastodon (The Hunter), Omnium Gatherum (New World Shadows), Lantlôs (Agape), Insomnium (One For Sorrow), Aaskereia (Dort, wo das alte Böse ruht)

Created by: Chobo_jokeR | 14.06.2011

1. Wolves In The Throne Room - Celestial Lineage
9.3, I spent the entire summer listening to WITTR. For the longest time I wasn't able to get into their style of music, and then this summer it finally clicked when I was listening to Diadem of 12 Stars. My expectations for this album were monumental, and they surpassed them. Whenever I listen to this record, it feels like time evaporates because before I know it 49 minutes is up.
2. Fen - Epoch
9.2, Here is a little gem that sort of introduced me to atmospheric black type music. I remember it clearly, because I had heard it was good and then I would try and listen to it while walking to class or whatever. It took awhile for it to click, but when it did...wow was I in for a treat. Great release and has so much variety too it. Love it.
3. Esoteric - Paragon Of Dissonance
9.2, my first real introduction to Esoteric. I've slowly got into Funeral Doom these last few months while studying for finals. This is a rollercoaster of emotions. There are crushing , slow , melodic and melancholic passages. It is exactly what I needed to be able to appreciate their style of music. I'm spending my Christmas break digesting the rest of their discography.
4. Deafheaven - Roads To Judah
9.1, I totally overlooked this album earlier in the year. Listened to it. Thought it was ok. Moved on. I came back to it after re-reading Troy's review and gave it another spin. Thank God I did. Awesome album, with so much to offer the listener.
5. Mournful Congregation - The Book Of Kings
9.0, Now this release may stand to be my favourite release of the year, even though its not rated the highest. It's massive, its melancholic, and its just so damn good. I love the acoustic guitar on this album. Top notch release.
6. 40 Watt Sun - The Inside Room
8.9, I loved Warning's Watching From a Distance, so I came in to this album with huge expectations. It took me awhile to get over the heavy heavy distortions used on this album. Walker's voice is also toned down on this release. Once I accepted the distortions and the fact that his voice wasn't as wildly emotional...I loved the album. Great release, can't wait for more.
7. Woods Of Desolation - Torn Beyond Reason
8.9, Yet another album that I have to thank Troy for posting an awesome review on. The atmosphere and sadness just oozes out of this release. You truly feel the sorrow and sadness. Truly great.
8. Alda - : tahoma :
8.8, I had searched high and low for this little gem, because I had heard a clip or two of their songs off of their Facebook page. I'm a die hard Agalloch fan so the naturey atmosphere totally clicked for me. This is basically the summer time version of Agalloch. Alda, to me, is WITTR's little brother. Thick with atmosphere and excellent use of acoustic guitars. It will receive many more listens once the summer rolls around again...damn Canadian winters.
9. Falls Of Rauros - The Light That Dwells In Rotten Wood
8.8, Another album that I checked out because of Troy's list. For all the reasons I liked Alda's release, they are the same for this one. Nature...check. Acoustic guitars...check. Thick ass fucking atmosphere...check. I await more releases from these gents.
10. Colosseum - Chapter 3: Parasomnia
8.7, Other than a few songs off of Ahab's Divinity of Oceans, I had really never listened to funeral doom. This was some of my first exposures to it this year. Initially I thought this album was good, but it didn't blow my socks off. After I gathered an appreciation for Esoteric's PoD, and Mournful Congregations TBoK, I went back to this and gave it another shot. Glad I did, was definitely missing out. Great release...its tragic there won't be any more...

Disclaimer: All top lists are unofficial and do not represent the point of view of the MS Staff.
[ More lists by Chobo_jokeR ]

Comments

‹‹ Back to Lists
Comments: 15   Visited by: 58 users
12.10.2011 - 18:27
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Is that a picture of Omar from The Wire you used for the pic?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
12.10.2011 - 18:34
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Nice to see Infestus and Negative Plane mentioned.
12.10.2011 - 19:51
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Doc G. on 12.10.2011 at 18:27

Sure is. Probably my favourite character in any television series I've seen. Vic Mackey from "The Shield" is right up there too.

Written by Guest on 12.10.2011 at 18:34

Nice to see Infestus and Negative Plane mentioned.

Glad I found those two albums, I think I saw them on Troy's list and decided to give them a spin.
12.10.2011 - 19:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 12.10.2011 at 19:51

Glad I found those two albums, I think I saw them on Troy's list and decided to give them a spin.

Psh... Troy. He wouldn't have found them if I hadn't first ¬_¬
12.10.2011 - 20:42
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Guest on 12.10.2011 at 19:59

Psh... Troy. He wouldn't have found them if I hadn't first ¬_¬

Oh so I have you to thank for those albums then? Your have quite the list yourself. Plenty of variety.
12.10.2011 - 20:43
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 12.10.2011 at 20:42

Oh so I have you to thank for those albums then? Your have quite the list yourself. Plenty of variety.

Lulz I was just messin' but cheers nonetheless.
18.10.2011 - 02:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser

Sure is. Probably my favourite character in any television series I've seen. Vic Mackey from "The Shield" is right up there too.

The Wire just had so many cool characters. Slim Charles was probably my favourite.

Can't say I agree with the list though...Then again, it seems I'm in disagreement with most people over releases this year.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
18.10.2011 - 16:26
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Doc G. on 18.10.2011 at 02:29

The Wire just had so many cool characters. Slim Charles was probably my favourite.

Can't say I agree with the list though...Then again, it seems I'm in disagreement with most people over releases this year.

Slim Charles was an awesome character too. Glad he popped Cheese at the end.

I found myself liking more of the criminals than the cops. The only police I really liked were Bunk and Freeman.

As for the list, I started really getting into some of the black metal bands, thats why there is quite a bit of favouritism there.
15.08.2012 - 16:44
Oaken
Hipster
Most of my 2011 favorites are on the list.
----
In that case, man is only air as well.
15.08.2012 - 17:21
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Oaken on 15.08.2012 at 16:44

After half a year the only major change that would happen to this list is Ulcerate's Destroyers Of All.

Thanks for the thumbs up
15.08.2012 - 17:23
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 15.08.2012 at 17:21

Written by Oaken on 15.08.2012 at 16:44

After half a year the only major change that would happen to this list is Ulcerate's Destroyers Of All.

Thanks for the thumbs up

Never got into Ulcerate. Too technical for my ears.
----
15.08.2012 - 17:27
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Oaken on 15.08.2012 at 17:23

It's their atmosphere and "sound" that I love of about them. The technicality doesn't really enhance or take away from my enjoyment.
15.08.2012 - 17:28
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 15.08.2012 at 17:27

Written by Oaken on 15.08.2012 at 17:23

It's their atmosphere and "sound" that I love of about them. The technicality doesn't really enhance or take away from my enjoyment.

Their atmosphere didn't entice me too.
----
15.08.2012 - 17:30
Chobo_jokeR

Written by Oaken on 15.08.2012 at 17:28

Their atmosphere didn't entice me too.

Haha, that's fair enough. Everyone's taste is different You diving into the rest of Evoken's discography?
15.08.2012 - 18:20
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Chobo_jokeR on 15.08.2012 at 17:30

Haha, that's fair enough. Everyone's taste is different You diving into the rest of Evoken's discography?

ATM I'm listening to new 2012 albums. But I assure you, I'm going to dive into their discography.
----

Hits total: 3218 | This month: 1