06. The Art Of Dying
07. Drum Solo
08. Clone
09. Flying Whales
10. Toxic Garbage Island
11. Vacuity

The best Alternative Metal album of 2012

Additional info
Produced by Josh Wilbur and Joseph Duplantier.
Engineered by Josh Wilbur and Paul Suarez.
Mixed by Josh Wilbur.
Recorded and mixed at Spin Studios, Long Island City, NY.
Mastered by UE Nastasi at Sterling Sound, New York, NY.
Artwork by Joseph Duplantier.

Guest review by
s7mon
Rating:
Gojira have marked their position on the map of great metal bands with two records: 2005's From Mars to Sirius and 2008's The Way of All Flesh. I consider myself a huge fan of the French commando and these two albums are among my all-time favorites. So you can imagine that my expectations were incredibly high and I expected something absolutely out of this world with Gojira's fifth full-length. And probably this is one of the reasons I found this album to be just?decent.

Read more ››
published 08.12.2012 | Comments (6)

Staff review by
R'Vannith
Rating:
This album is essentially Gojira in a box, one which is tightly and neatly packaged for your convenience. There is little room for maneuvering yet it has sides strong enough to withstand the onslaught of chugging riff savagery contained within. Where previous albums such as From Mars To Sirius were more sprawling affairs this is by far more concise in sound. It is a precise taming of that ear denting chaos the band has exhibited in previous efforts.

Read more ››
published 10.12.2012 | Comments (32)

Guest review by
Desha
Rating:
N/A
Prior to 2008's The Way Of All Flesh, Gojira could almost be called a gimmick band. Get a super heavy riff, make it catchy but fuck with it just a little so as to feel fresh and interesting, have some great drumming underneath, add a little quirky touch, done is your Gojira record.

Read more ››
published 26.02.2020 | Comments (2)

Found in 81 lists
Top lists

Comments page 2 / 3

Comments: 86   [ 1 ignored ]   Visited by: 1783 users
20.06.2012 - 21:36
Rating: 8
neonxaos

Hmm, I'm not really sure about this one... It seems mellower than the previous albums, and I miss the crazy drumming sometimes, but it IS growing on me already after a few listens. I don't know if it's gonna be enough, though. Pain Is A Master is really something, but the other tracks seem a little too similar. But then again, that's how I usually feel about anything coming from bands like Enslaved, and those albums often take many spins to truly reveal themselves to me.

I get the comments about people wanting to be surprised, but think about it. This is Gojira. Who else actually sounds like them, honestly? I have a hard time coming up with a single name, so originality is kind of a subjective thing here. And if some of you DO know more bands in this style, please don't hesitate to enlighen me

[EDIT] OK, it is definitely a grower, but it does not surpass their earlier efforts. I do appreciate the melodic touches, but I am missing the crazy riffing and drumming found on the previous albums.
22.06.2012 - 18:49
Rating: 6
RockeRoy

Alot simpler than previous efforts and with very few higlights.
The lack of dynamics throughout the album and to much of the mid tempo riffing is a problem for me.
I think this would be the time to release their masterpice, but insted they give us this .. i have to say shit, becasue i think i never will listen to this album again and i have looked forward to it a long time
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
24.06.2012 - 11:31
Rating: 10
Nunzie 69

Been highly anticipating this release,I think if this came out before "From Mars To Sirius" many would have better opinions.This album struck a chord with me from the opening sequence and never really let me lose interest.I really enjoy just about everything on here and would place it right in between Mars and Flesh.
25.06.2012 - 15:53
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Not very keen on this band's sound but this seems good. Very straightforward compared to the other one I've heard, "From Mars To Sirius". Its nowhere near as diverse as some have pointed out, it also lacks that that really heavy sound they had going on. But its also more to the point I think, something I didn't like about that other one, it often went places that sounded unnecessary to me. This is much more linear, which I don't think is all that much of problem, though it clearly lacks the creativity of "From Mars To Sirius". Some tracks here are too focused and are an effort to listen to.
But honestly.. that title track is brilliant. "Planned Obsolescence" and "Mouth Of Kala" are really good as well.
26.06.2012 - 14:03
Rating: 7
moribun

Great album!
26.06.2012 - 16:23
Dinruth

I like it ... gets a bit boring at the end but the first 8 tracks are fire
27.06.2012 - 12:11
Prometheus

Good album.
27.06.2012 - 16:25
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Four good/awesome tracks, one videogame soundtrack, three meh songs, another great track and more meh to end the record.

Not bad, but hopefully they'll do something different next time. I believe they are focusing on vocal melodies instead of riffing, and the riffing is what I appreciated more about the previous records.
27.06.2012 - 23:24
Ag Fox
Angel No More
The last two tracks are really rubbish =/
----
loves 小巫
28.06.2012 - 05:53
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Ag Fox on 27.06.2012 at 23:24

Yep, and 'Born In Winter' is a rip-off of 'From Mars' and 'Global Warming'.
28.06.2012 - 14:19
Risto
Wandering Midget
Written by Unhealer on 28.06.2012 at 05:53

Yep, and 'Born In Winter' is a rip-off of 'From Mars' and 'Global Warming'.

I can see the comparison to From Mars, but Global Warming? Nothing wrong with sounding like themselves anyway. It's also one of the best songs on the album
28.06.2012 - 15:20
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Risto on 28.06.2012 at 14:19

I can see the comparison to From Mars, but Global Warming? Nothing wrong with sounding like themselves anyway. It's also one of the best songs on the album

I was reminded of 'Global Warming' because the song is based on a tapping guitar riff, I think. Probably is not a bad song, but it bores me since I feel I've heard that a lot already.
28.06.2012 - 16:54
Rating: 9
Mehdi Taba
Mehdi Taba
The best songs :

Explosia
L'Enfant Sauvage
The Gift Of Guilt
29.06.2012 - 15:24
Fredd
Account deleted
Bleh.
02.07.2012 - 11:50
Rating: 9
Gilads

I've listened to this album more than 20 times so far..
I think the best songs are:

Liquid Fire - Amazing song!

The Gift Of Guilt - Very very good one, kind of hypnotizing.

Planned Obsolescence - With brilliant ending!!

Born In Winter - Amazing chorus!

The Fall - This is the best song in this album, I think its a WOW, makes me shiver over and over again!
----
Gilad Steinberger
04.07.2012 - 18:27
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
Not even going to bother with this.
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
04.07.2012 - 19:55
John Shock

I have to be honest...i don't like this a lot...i don't even care about it! This album is not satisfying me...i can't understand this album...i didn't catch the "thing" of this album! I could even said that i don't like this album, unless 2 or 3 songs: L'Enfant Sauvage, Liquid Fire and Explosia...i have to listen this a few more times but i doubt this enters in my brain on its entirely... disapointed...sorry Gojira!
04.07.2012 - 23:04
garface666

Bought this on day of release and it's a very disappointing album. They've both ripped themselves off and played it safe with this one. I honestly believe that they could have written the whole album in a week or so (technical metal, really?). There are no memorable riffs. The vocal patterns are predictable and repetitive. They perform exactly the same rhythm figures and tempos throughout the album. It's exactly what music should not be; formulaic and boring. Live performance speaking, I'm sure in that in moderation (and played in and amongst other songs) the songs off L'enfant sauvage will gel with the established set, however, as a stand alone effort, it does nothing for me. Maybe I'm getting old...
05.07.2012 - 09:59
sukimin

Is Jeff Loomis took part in the song The Gift of Guilt ?
06.07.2012 - 01:15
Mattybu

Written by garface666 on 04.07.2012 at 23:04

*Description of why album isn't good* Maybe I'm getting old...

Old or not, you gave a pretty good description of why this album is a lackluster affair.

How this has an 8.4 average rating, I don't know.
06.07.2012 - 12:55
Spirit Molecule
spirit molecule
Written by Boxcar Willy on 04.07.2012 at 18:27

Not even going to bother with this.

But you bothered to post
----
If you never wake up from a dream does it become reality?

Last fm
Don't click here
06.07.2012 - 15:27
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
This album is taking a lot of listens for me to get into it. It's a slow process and I'm not warming to it much. I'm prepared to give it more time though. This is the first album of theirs I've listened to, so I didn't have any preconceptions. My initial thoughts are that there isn't much melody and it is quite technical in parts. The one song I really like at the moment is "Pain is a Master".
----
The sun shines over The Fool...
06.07.2012 - 15:52
Unhealer
Eclecticist
Written by Ace Frawley on 06.07.2012 at 15:27

This album is taking a lot of listens for me to get into it. It's a slow process and I'm not warming to it much. I'm prepared to give it more time though. This is the first album of theirs I've listened to, so I didn't have any preconceptions. My initial thoughts are that there isn't much melody and it is quite technical in parts. The one song I really like at the moment is "Pain is a Master".

Don't waste that much time on this one, go get From Mars To Sirius and you'll be listening to it a lot of times but not to get into it, just because is damn amazing. Oh, and this is album is more melodic than the previous ones and probably less technical, although I don't think this band should be labeled technical at all.
06.07.2012 - 23:20
gav1230

Oh well, I actually liked it.
07.07.2012 - 12:49
CuupcakesInnFayce

Great album!
----
Cupicake
08.07.2012 - 02:24
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman

Do you mean tracks 10 and 11 or the two special edition bonus tracks? The first time I listened to "Born in Winter" I thought there was a guest vocal appearance by Leonard Cohen.
----
08.07.2012 - 05:39
Ag Fox
Angel No More
Written by Ace Frawley on 08.07.2012 at 02:24

Do you mean tracks 10 and 11 or the two special edition bonus tracks? The first time I listened to "Born in Winter" I thought there was a guest vocal appearance by Leonard Cohen.
born in winter
----
loves 小巫
11.07.2012 - 07:20
Rating: 10
Judas The Priest

Personally I adore this album. Its got some unusual qualities, and some familiar, but thats just what a prog metal band is. A collaboration of new techniques with elements of other subgenres. Though some songs sounded a bit like meshuggah (which I dislike) what you gotta remember is simply: this is gofuckingjira.

Overall this album made a pretty bad first impression on me, but the songs stuck with me after the album ended, and i realised, its like a legion of angels singing deathmetal. which fucking rules give or take. After they stuck with me and whatnot, I took a gander at the lyric booklet, and good god. The lyrics have always been my favorite part of Gojira, they've always been introspective, intensely deep, perspective based and almost cryptic. This album is no exception, I found myself reading the lyrics booklet in the paint shop waiting for paint to dry haha.

As far as the rhythm value of this album goes, although it may draw some characteristics of other subgenres of metal, this album has its own sound, like every gojira album. And thats what makes Gojira my favorite band, that theyre always new, progressing, and that their albums are pure art. Like I always say, these guys are like nature itself, beautiful and brutal as hell. And you simply can't top music that makes you dive into your own mind while thrashing your head.
14.07.2012 - 03:22
Ace Frawley
The Spaceman
I'm glad you mentioned the Meshuggah similarity, because I felt that too. It doesn't appeal to me either, in that regard. I also agree with the strong lyrics here. Ultimately, this album has grown on me and that is the sign of a good album. My initial rating was 6 - average, but I have increased that to 7 - good. Highlights for me are the tracks "Planned Obsolescence" and "Mouth of Kala".
----
16.07.2012 - 05:55
Mattybu

Written by Ace Frawley on 14.07.2012 at 03:22

I'm glad you mentioned the Meshuggah similarity, because I felt that too.

Yeah, I agree. Felt some serious poor man's Meshuggah happening on this one.

Just feels so weak compared to From Mars to Sirius.

Hits total: 35265 | This month: 39