Metal Storm logo
Guitar knob help

08.10.2006 - 05:12
Soliloquy

i may have made my guitar, but when i bought the pick gaurd, the volume, tone, tone knobs were aready attached to it, so i didnt have to fuck around with it much. now i wanna switch the 3 knobs with these skull knobs that i bought today...just dont know how to do that. what do i do to get rid of the other knobs that were on it in the first place?

thanks
----

now get on your knees and worship me!
-Zakk Wylde
08.10.2006 - 05:21
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
Im not sure but you could go to where you bought them and ask how to attach them??

And just a quick question:

Where did you get the skull knobs? Just a guitar store?
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
08.10.2006 - 05:52
Soliloquy

actually know. it was a random find for me. i was bored in this stupid mall, when i decided to walk into this store that was playing hip hop music. i couldnt find the metal section, so i went through the 'rock/pop' section and found a Bathory cd, and some other shit. then in the corner, they had like 75% off of all guitar items. they had from strings, to tuners, pedals etc etc etc. i only had enough for 3 knobs, which costed me about 2 bucks each. the rest, like acry baby wah was for 50 bucks. brand new, and everything. so i just got it for the hell of it

and no, i cant go there, coz those guys are dumb asses. when i took the items up to the front, theyw ere like 'ahh....skull knobs? you mean like for doors?' so they wont really be of any help. and these knobs are made by BC RICH, so they should fit in fine...i just dont wanna fuck up my guitar while pulling off those knobs and installing the new ones

oh, and if you are interested in getting skull knobs, keep in mind, they are VERY hard to violin with. they arent exactly round, so your pinky cant really go around em, you know
----

-Zakk Wylde
08.10.2006 - 07:10
Soliloquy

the picture came out fucked. the detailes are hidden with the lights. and the black one i will use as the volume. the silver ones as the knob.(they were out of the third silver)

but you get an idea

----

-Zakk Wylde
09.10.2006 - 18:33
WarriorOfMetal

assuming we're talking about normal strat knobs, the easiest way is to put a pick between the knob and the pickguard, get it so the edge of the pick is resting on the nut that holds the potentiometer (the electronic part of the knob) to it, and then gently use it to pry the knob up....you should then be able to grab it around the bottom edge and pull it off the rest of the way.

if they're metal dome knobs and have a set screw, you would loosen that, and then it'll just slide right off.

if you have strat knobs now, and the skull knobs have set screws, then really you should get some solid-shaft potentiometers, but they can be used with the split-shaft ones....they're just meant to work with solid ones.
10.10.2006 - 05:38
Soliloquy

Written by WarriorOfMetal on 09.10.2006 at 18:33

assuming we're talking about normal strat knobs, the easiest way is to put a pick between the knob and the pickguard, get it so the edge of the pick is resting on the nut that holds the potentiometer (the electronic part of the knob) to it, and then gently use it to pry the knob up....you should then be able to grab it around the bottom edge and pull it off the rest of the way.

if they're metal dome knobs and have a set screw, you would loosen that, and then it'll just slide right off.

if you have strat knobs now, and the skull knobs have set screws, then really you should get some solid-shaft potentiometers, but they can be used with the split-shaft ones....they're just meant to work with solid ones.

at first i was looking at your post sarcastically. you made it sound WAY too easy. and then i looked at my guitar, and managed to pull of the knobs exactly how you said it. it is easy, so thanks dude. owe you a bunch!
----

-Zakk Wylde
10.10.2006 - 09:34
WarriorOfMetal

haha no prob dude.....this is why i'm a guitar tech.