Metal Storm logo
Artificial Harmonics

Original post

Posted by BurbotsRevenge, 08.10.2006 - 12:05
hey i'm a guitarist, and i'm having a lot of trouble with artificial harmonics. the thing where you supposedly play the string with your thumb as well as the pick to make a harmonic. i just cannot get it. i try and try and try, but t will never even sound anything like it.

does anyone have any hints, tricks, good site or general info on how to learn and practice artificial harmonics??
13.07.2007 - 22:19
Slayertplsko
Account deleted
Written by [southern]metal on 13.07.2007 at 20:48

I think your describing whats called a harp harmonic. Django Reinhardt used to that. There fun to play.

maybe, but i dont know how it is called:D
16.01.2008 - 04:10
RockeRoy
I use my index finger at the same time i hit with the pick! i thought that was the way everyone didd it!
I have no problem with artificial harmonics anywhere on the guitar neck and i use the index finger togheter with the pick
----
You found god? If nobody claims him in thirty days, he's yours

Walk with me in hell
16.01.2008 - 04:16
BurbotsRevenge
Foetal Butchery
yeh ive managed to nail this technique now, i have to asy its just practise, an turn the distortion up hell loud and there u have it
----
Dark death metal from Sydney: https://www.facebook.com/GolgothanRemains
17.01.2008 - 16:38
BloodTears
ANA-thema
Elite
I have to try this.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29

Like you could kiss my ass.

My Instagram
14.05.2008 - 18:31
In fact, it doesn't really matter as long as it's comfortable for you.
23.05.2008 - 23:11
vatro
Account deleted
i use finger and pick in the same time and change hand position
31.05.2008 - 21:37
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
One needs to find the so called "sweet spots." These are the place on each string where the AH works. Then one needs to experiment and try to find those bloody points of AH on the strings and frets he wishes to play it on and then remember them to the point where one can use them in songs without messing it up. Oh, and don't forget to set the treble knob to almost the maximum.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.10.2008 - 21:36
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by K✞ulu on 31.05.2008 at 21:37

One needs to find the so called "sweet spots." These are the place on each string where the AH works. Then one needs to experiment and try to find those bloody points of AH on the strings and frets he wishes to play it on and then remember them to the point where one can use them in songs without messing it up. Oh, and don't forget to set the treble knob to almost the maximum.

yeah, on my guitar mostly they're around the neck pickup, though you have to go a little bit to the bridge as you go up the neck to find a sweet spot for frets higher than 5-6 or something.
16.10.2008 - 21:48
K✞ulu
Seeker of Truth
I have hard times doing artificial harmonics on the E and B string especially on frets higher than 12.
----
Savor what you feel and what you see
Things that may not seem important now
But may be tomorrow

R.I.P. Chuck Schuldiner

Satan was a Backstreet Boy
16.10.2008 - 22:04
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by K✞ulu on 16.10.2008 at 21:48

I have hard times doing artificial harmonics on the E and B string especially on frets higher than 12.

just put the ring finger on the middle pickup though i gotta admit, why would you want to do a harmonic on such high notes? they already sound whiny
16.10.2008 - 23:23
Scottgun
Search YouTube. There are several video demos of it. If you use the thumb pick method (which would be my recommendation), try it exaggerated at first. That is, hang lots of thumb meat over the pick so that you can't even see the tip of the pick that contacts the string. You may even end up hitting the "squealies" by accident. Once you get used to that, then gradually move back to a more natural hold.

Unfortunately, pinch harmonics are like those 3-D posters--people keep telling you stuff like, "make your eyes go out of focus" and another says, "No! You need ultra-sharp focus!" but ultimately its a matter of trial and error and sticking to it. Eventually, you will be pulling off the squealies without even thinking about them and wonder what the hell the big deal was.

But once you've got them, use them sparingly and avoid Richie Sambora Syndrome where you are doing solos of ALL pinch harmonics.
----

Whenever a musician is interested in self-expression you know it's gonna suck--Robert Fripp