Metal Storm logo
Darkthrone - To Re-Release Demos On Vinyl

Norwegian black metal duo Darkthrone will be re-releasing on November 14th four demos on vinyl format under the name Sempiternal Past.

Sempiternal Past contains all four of Darkthrone's cult demo releases recorded in 1988-1989 (Land Of Frost, A New Dimension, Thulcandra, and Cromlech); now fully restored and remastered from the best tape sources available. Also included on this release are the tracks recorded at Oslo TV in 1989, along with a restored version of the rare song "God Of Disturbance And Friction". It will be available on limited double vinyl with gatefold sleeve, with the sleeve including band notes, plus rare images and photos.

Sempiternal Past tracklist and cover:

Side A
01. Land Of Frost
02. Winds Of Triton
03. Forest Of Darkness
04. Odyssey Of Freedom
05. Day Of The Dead

Side B
01. Intro
02. Snowfall
03. Eon
04. Thulcandra

Side C
01. Archipelago
02. The Watchtower
03. Accumulation Of Generalization
04. Sempiternal Past / Presence View Sepulchrality

Side D
01. Iconoclasm Sweeps Cappadocia
02. Soria Moria (Oslo TV 1989)
03. Eon / Thulcandra (Oslo TV 1989)
04. God Of Disturbance And Friction

Source: burningshed.com
Band profile: Darkthrone
Posted: 18.10.2011 by Vombatus

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 75   Visited by: 84 users
18.10.2011 - 14:40
ANGEL REAPER
First!
So even non-conformist Darkthrone is re-releasing their demos,on vinyl?
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
18.10.2011 - 15:39
midland_don
This seems a bit unnecessary right??
18.10.2011 - 16:36
Tenski
Fuck yeaaa
18.10.2011 - 16:38
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by midland_don on 18.10.2011 at 15:39

This seems a bit unnecessary right??

why?
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2011 - 21:20
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 18.10.2011 at 14:40

How is it conforming? You said it yourself, vinyl is a dead medium...so if anything Fenriz is sticking true to what he normally does by going against the grain.

Besides, these demos are impossible to find. A limited edition vinyl release of all 4 would be amazing to have.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.10.2011 - 21:46
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.10.2011 at 21:20

How is it conforming? You said it yourself, vinyl is a dead medium...so if anything Fenriz is sticking true to what he normally does by going against the grain.

Besides, these demos are impossible to find. A limited edition vinyl release of all 4 would be amazing to have.

well that is a trend these days...to re-record stuff and put them on vinyl...
And Darkthrone was always against trends...
And yes i agree their demos are rare but they could just release them on cd or something,not on hipster/fetish medium like vinyl is...
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
18.10.2011 - 21:58
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 18.10.2011 at 21:46
they could just release them on cd or something,not on hipster/fetish medium like vinyl

You're such an elitist.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.10.2011 - 22:04
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Since when is vinyl a hipster/fetish medium
"only vinyl is real" as the age old adagium says
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2011 - 22:04
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.10.2011 at 21:58

they could just release them on cd or something,not on hipster/fetish medium like vinyl

You're such an elitist.

well i speak in the name of poor people who like Darkthrone's music,and cant afford vinyls ...So i am sorta Robin Hood
----
18.10.2011 - 22:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 18.10.2011 at 22:04
Frostland Tapes.

I have that comp. Awesome stuff - plus you get to read some of Gylve's comments on the songs and what was going on in his head at the time of writing.
----
18.10.2011 - 22:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by Guest on 18.10.2011 at 22:11
I'd like to purchase it because of the Goatlord instrumental.

That alone makes the purchase worthwhile.
----
18.10.2011 - 22:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 18.10.2011 at 22:04

You're such an elitist.

well i speak in the name of poor people who like Darkthrone's music,and cant afford vinyls ...So i am sorta Robin Hood

vinyl isn't so expensive.
Most of the single LPs go for between 10 and 13 euros, just like cd's
seeing this will be a 2LP that will probably cost 20 euros. Same as a 2cd would cost.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2011 - 22:16
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.10.2011 at 22:12

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 18.10.2011 at 22:04

You're such an elitist.

Most of the single LPs go for between 10 and 13 euros, just like cd's
seeing this will be a 2LP that will probably cost 20 euros. Same as a 2cd would cost.

ok ok but that is still not making me rich
----
18.10.2011 - 22:19
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff

Maybe not where you live.

Here the average metal CD (since it's not a $9.99 charted pop album) runs for $10 - $18.99. Two-disc CDs are usually $19.99 - $24.99.
Vinyl records usually cost upwards of $30, with double-LPs reaching $50.

At least that's at the major retailers. Online shopping is cheaper but I still rarely find inexpensive vinyl records unless it's a demo, EP, or split release.
----
18.10.2011 - 22:26
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
But limited vinyls more than double in value in no time

hell, my Ghost - Elisabeth 7" which cost me 6 euro (7" is expensive in comparison) is already going for over 250 euros on eBay a little over a year later
Candlemass - Don't Fear The Reaper 12" now doing around 200 euros, cost me 10 euros new.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2011 - 22:28
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite

And yes i agree their demos are rare but they could just release them on cd or something,not on hipster/fetish medium like vinyl is...

Darkthrone isn't rerecording anything. The songs will just be remastered.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2011 - 22:30
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.10.2011 at 22:04

Since when is vinyl a hipster/fetish medium
"only vinyl is real" as the age old adagium says

because they are outdated medium ...and collecting of rarities i call "plain rich people fetish"
but if you like collecting vinyls go ahead ...
----
18.10.2011 - 22:31
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.10.2011 at 22:28

Darkthrone isn't rerecording anything. The songs will just be remastered.

oh sorry wrong word there i meant re-mastering ...sorry again
----
18.10.2011 - 22:33
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.10.2011 at 22:26

But limited vinyls more than double in value in no time

hell, my Ghost - Elisabeth 7" which cost me 6 euro (7" is expensive in comparison) is already going for over 250 euros on eBay a little over a year later
Candlemass - Don't Fear The Reaper 12" now doing around 200 euros, cost me 10 euros new.

that is why i call it a fetish... when something get overpriced as rarity and than collected just for sake of collecting
----
18.10.2011 - 22:40
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Actually vinyl isn't an outdated medium at all. Cd's are becoming the outdated ones.
Life expectency of vinyls is also longer than that of cd's if handled properly of course. Plus they are much better for the artwork due to size.
Vinyl has never been away, unlike what most people seem to think.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2011 - 22:40
Vombatus
Potorro
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.10.2011 at 22:19

Maybe not where you live.

Here the average metal CD (since it's not a $9.99 charted pop album) runs for $10 - $18.99. Two-disc CDs are usually $19.99 - $24.99.
Vinyl records usually cost upwards of $30, with double-LPs reaching $50.

At least that's at the major retailers. Online shopping is cheaper but I still rarely find inexpensive vinyl records unless it's a demo, EP, or split release.

It's pretty easy to find "cheap" vinyls. It depends alot where you look but it's common to get them for 13-15 euros, doubles going for 16-18... that's like 2-3 euros more than a cd, and even cheaper than a normal cd in retail shop.

I think it's totally worth it (even with shipping costs), and you don't get ripped off like on retailers...
18.10.2011 - 22:46
Slayer666
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.10.2011 at 22:40

Actually vinyl isn't an outdated medium at all. Cd's are becoming the outdated ones.
Life expectency of vinyls is also longer than that of cd's if handled properly of course. Plus they are much better for the artwork due to size.

But why bother with either vinyl or CD if you can just illegally download stuff? [/cheap thieving bastard mode]
18.10.2011 - 23:00
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.10.2011 at 22:40

WHAT!?
Man sound information on vinyl deteriorate due to chemical structure of vinyl.A digital information on CD's can last way longer cause the type of plastic used for making of CDs.
Artwork?!who care about artwork on bands album.I thought that the music is what counts when it comes to buying a record.Sure nice artwork is a plus but man seriously,if you like fine painted art go to art galleries not expect it on album covers .
And if most people consider vinyl extinct than its extinct,no matter how much minority like it. Face it vinyl is dead! LONG LIVE THE DIGITAL AGE!
----
18.10.2011 - 23:05
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
staff
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 18.10.2011 at 23:00
Man sound information on vinyl deteriorate due to chemical structure of vinyl.A digital information on CD's can last way longer cause the type of plastic used for making of CDs.

Artwork?!who care about artwork on bands album.

Face it vinyl is dead! LONG LIVE THE DIGITAL AGE!

It seems you're terribly misinformed. Vinyl lasts an incredibly long time if you take care of it. And the artwork is important. You should read up on some cover art painters...it's quite an exhaustive process and the reward you get as a consumer for having a large artwork like that is awesome. And no, just because the "majority" doesn't realize there is a huge market for vinyl does not mean it's dead. CDs will fall out to digital downloads. Records will survive as they always have.
----
18.10.2011 - 23:16
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.10.2011 at 23:05

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 18.10.2011 at 23:00

Artwork?!who care about artwork on bands album.

Face it vinyl is dead! LONG LIVE THE DIGITAL AGE!

It seems you're terribly misinformed. Vinyl lasts an incredibly long time if you take care of it. And the artwork is important. You should read up on some cover art painters...it's quite an exhaustive process and the reward you get as a consumer for having a large artwork like that is awesome. And no, just because the "majority" doesn't realize there is a huge market for vinyl does not mean it's dead. CDs will fall out to digital downloads. Records will survive as they always have.

we will talk again in 20 years and see who was right and who was wrong.The time will tell.
And also: vinyl loose part of sound information due to physical contact that occurs during reproduction. Digital info on cds dont get corrupted during reproduction of it.CDs get damaged because of improper handling and bad CD players.
On chemistry side both of them last way longer than magnetic tape,but physically speaking CD suffers less damage than vinyl during the reproduction.
The time will tell.
Now enough about Vinyl VS CD lets speak about Darkthrone!
----
18.10.2011 - 23:27
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Aaah the ignorance.
I own vinyls from the 60s that sound better than cd's from 24 years ago. Cd's when they start to skip end up in a loop they can't get out of whereas vinyls just skip.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2011 - 23:35
ANGEL REAPER
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.10.2011 at 23:27

Aaah the ignorance.
I own vinyls from the 60s that sound better than cd's from 24 years ago. Cd's when they start to skip end up in a loop they can't get out of whereas vinyls just skip.

same as with Troy we will speak in 20 years again man! will see who was right and who live in past!
Now seriously Darkthrone! people!
----
18.10.2011 - 23:46
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
elite
Well I for one know I am right vinyl has been declared dead when cd's first started flooding the market and guess what they are making a huge comeback over the past couple of years and the end isn't in sight. Hell even major labels are releasing vinyl again.
Btw don't get me wrong I still like cd's because of convenience like when in a car, in a discman or when I am plain lazy and don't want to get up to flip the vinyl to the other side.
Most of my vinyl I also own cd.
Currently 1100 vinyls and a little over 4000 cd's and some 500 cassettes.
Why discuss Darkthrone when discussing vinyl vs cd is much more fun.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2011 - 01:10
RavenKing
I don't see any interest in vinyl. It's an outdated medium and dead here.

As for the Darkthrone demos, I listened to "Frostland Tapes" and, honestly, this stuff sucks anyway.
An example of mediocrity.
The Peaceville trilogy is the only thing Darkthrone released that worths a listen.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
19.10.2011 - 06:56
spirit_inblack
harshhead
^Not at all, in my opinion. Pretty much every Darkthrone album is worth listening to, even the newer ones. No joke.

Hits total: 4230 | This month: 11