Metal Storm logo
Darkthrone - To Re-Release Demos On Vinyl

Norwegian black metal duo Darkthrone will be re-releasing on November 14th four demos on vinyl format under the name Sempiternal Past.

Sempiternal Past contains all four of Darkthrone's cult demo releases recorded in 1988-1989 (Land Of Frost, A New Dimension, Thulcandra, and Cromlech); now fully restored and remastered from the best tape sources available. Also included on this release are the tracks recorded at Oslo TV in 1989, along with a restored version of the rare song "God Of Disturbance And Friction". It will be available on limited double vinyl with gatefold sleeve, with the sleeve including band notes, plus rare images and photos.

Sempiternal Past tracklist and cover:

Side A
01. Land Of Frost
02. Winds Of Triton
03. Forest Of Darkness
04. Odyssey Of Freedom
05. Day Of The Dead

Side B
01. Intro
02. Snowfall
03. Eon
04. Thulcandra

Side C
01. Archipelago
02. The Watchtower
03. Accumulation Of Generalization
04. Sempiternal Past / Presence View Sepulchrality

Side D
01. Iconoclasm Sweeps Cappadocia
02. Soria Moria (Oslo TV 1989)
03. Eon / Thulcandra (Oslo TV 1989)
04. God Of Disturbance And Friction

Source: burningshed.com
Band profile: Darkthrone
Posted: 18.10.2011 by Vombatus

Comments page 2 / 3

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 75   Visited by: 84 users
19.10.2011 - 09:08
Symmachus

Well, it's cool that they're rereleasing the demos on vinyl.

Also, I'll donate to the vinyl vs. CD vs. downloading talk by saying that I like vinyls. I primarily collect CDs, which probably has something to do with how they were already thoroughly established when I was a child and how I didn't give much of a second thought to their prominence. I have a lot of vinyls, most of which were basically handed to me, and I totally like listening to those as well. Both mediums of physical music distribution, although not at their peak as was before, are going to stick around for a long time to come. There will always be people, such as myself, who will want a physical copy in their hands.
19.10.2011 - 15:49
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Anyone saying vinyl is dead should really get out of their little sheltered bubble and have a look at the graph at the bottom of the following lin http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2011/05/breaking-us-music-sales-are-up-in-2011.html over the past five years have increased 400% in the US (which is on a par with the worldwide trend)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2011 - 16:32
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.10.2011 at 15:49

Anyone saying vinyl is dead should really get out of their little sheltered bubble and have a look at the graph at the bottom of the following lin http://www.hypebot.com/hypebot/2011/05/breaking-us-music-sales-are-up-in-2011.html over the past five years have increased 400% in the US (which is on a par with the worldwide trend)

than again hipsters appeared five years ago also
The only thing that is increasing vinyl sales is retro/collectors/hipsters people.
no matter how much you defend vinyl it is outdated technology.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.10.2011 - 16:59
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 19.10.2011 at 16:32

The only thing that is increasing vinyl sales is retro/collectors/hipsters people.

hipsters have been around for at least 30 years already, only then they were called posers
The thing that is increasing vinyl sales is the people who really love music not the downloading/stealing youngesters of the current age
No matter how hard you try to deny it, vinyl is not an oudated technology.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2011 - 20:27
malaikat

ANGEL, sorry, dude, but you are dead wrong. You say "I will see you in 20 years" as if the CD's and vinyls had just been created this moment, with the question "who will last longer". Well, newsflash: vinyl exists for more than half a century. It allready survived cassetes, and it's "outsurviving" cd's.

Question of sound quality and durability: have you ever listened to vinyl? My father has a collection of 30, 40-years old vinyl records, and they sound flawless. For example, I dare you to take one 15 year old vinyl and one 15 year old CD. The vinyl will sound better in 99% of cases. Hell, I have cd's that are only several years old and they allready sound like shit. And that's just the question of durability - even that put aside, average vinyl has much, much better sound than an average cd.

Moving on. I think Troy is right - cd as a medium will eventually fall down to digital distribution. It's allready happening now. And it's not matter of decades in question, I expect cd's to disappear almost completely by the end of this decade. On the other hand, vinyl will alway be alive - again as Troy said, it's simply more satisfying for a music lover and audiophile to own a richly decorated vinyl, with better artwork and far better sound. Sure, vinyls will still exist in the limited form of collector's items, but, bottom line, they will exist. They survived cassetes, they will survive cd's.

It's important to understand: yes, vinyls are regarded mostly as collector's items, but the fact is that, as mentioned, an audiophile will always choose vinyl over CD. I mean, if you enjoy your music only via mp3 players and your stereo, that's fine. But you must understand that you have people who own sound systems that cost like an Alienware configuration (and more) - and for those people vinyl will always be better - because, objectively, it is.
Simply said - CD is maybe cheaper, but it's less durable and has inferior sound qualitiy/durability compared to vinyl. If you still think CD is superior compared to vinyl, go listen to some vinyls, you will be surprised.
19.10.2011 - 20:55
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 19.10.2011 at 16:59

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 19.10.2011 at 16:32

hipsters have been around for at least 30 years already, only then they were called posers
The thing that is increasing vinyl sales is the people who really love music not the downloading/stealing youngesters of the current age
No matter how hard you try to deny it, vinyl is not an oudated technology.

its outdated ... analog tech is maybe more suitable for audiophiles but its replaced by digital tech.
you posted this using digital tech,even vinyl are pressed using digital machines (computers).I suggest that you do not mix the outdated as technology term with hot topic term outdated.yes vinyls are still around ,i know,but strictly technologically speaking its outdated.I was writing this since the beginning and many people here fail to understand the difference between these two terms.So yes vinyls are still around but that dont make them advanced hi-tech,it just make them analog remaining in digital age.
personally i started listening to a music when even tapes were extinct ,and cds are being replaced by purely digital mp3s on semiconductor mediums (computer memory) and dont feel the urge to collect albums for sake of collecting music.I like to listen to music and thats it Period!I dont think that people should stop collect stuff but i still consider it just another way to occupy yourself like stamp collecting ,etc. In 20 years time scientists predicts age of singularity for human race and quantum computers and such, and to claim that some technologically outdated medium will be more advanced than that time tech is absurd.
----
"Cross is only an iron,hope is just an illusion,freedom is nothing but a name..."
"Build your walls of the dead stone...Build your roofs of a dead wood..Build your dreams of a dead thoughts"
19.10.2011 - 21:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
So you settle for a worse sound quality... mp3 is inferior to a cd. Just shows my point that most people apparently don't care about music at all any more.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

19.10.2011 - 22:05
ANGEL REAPER

Well there are flac files for that... the crucial thing is that its still music stored on semiconductors not on vinyl
----
19.10.2011 - 23:15
malaikat

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 19.10.2011 at 22:05

Well there are flac files for that... the crucial thing is that its still music stored on semiconductors not on vinyl

1. There are vinyls that are several decades old, which still sound awesome. I still have some of them in my house, and my dad occasionaly plays them, nothing but superb quality. On the other hand, CD's deterior after only several years. Yes, in theory, they do seem to last longer. In theory. As I said in my previous post, take one 15 years old CD and compare it to a 15 year old vinyl. It would be a f*cking wonder if a CD still works.

2. In all seriousness, did you ever listened to vinyl records in the first place? You can talk about semiconductors and analog/digital technology till the cows come home, but the bottom line is: vinyl does sound better. I mean, one could say that vinyl-collecting is pointless or that people who buy vinyl are hipsters (to each his own), but to say that mp3, audio and flac files sound better? I call BS.
20.10.2011 - 00:03
ANGEL REAPER

Written by malaikat on 19.10.2011 at 23:15

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 19.10.2011 at 22:05

1. There are vinyls that are several decades old, which still sound awesome. I still have some of them in my house, and my dad occasionaly plays them, nothing but superb quality. On the other hand, CD's deterior after only several years. Yes, in theory, they do seem to last longer. In theory. As I said in my previous post, take one 15 years old CD and compare it to a 15 year old vinyl. It would be a f*cking wonder if a CD still works.

2. In all seriousness, did you ever listened to vinyl records in the first place? You can talk about semiconductors and analog/digital technology till the cows come home, but the bottom line is: vinyl does sound better. I mean, one could say that vinyl-collecting is pointless or that people who buy vinyl are hipsters (to each his own), but to say that mp3, audio and flac files sound better? I call BS.

do you know that every single music recorded on some medium is called kitsch?
An yes have heard music on vinyls but i prefer that all of my music take place one cubic cm instead of one cubic meter of space.
That is the main reason why i call it outdated.(i dare you to take you entire music collection on vinyl to lets say holidays on countryside or something,you would need ,a truck to do that!)
Last longer? dude,the fuckin needle scratch the surface of vinyl record each time its played,cs are read by laser.CDs die because machinery in CD player can scratch them badly.
Is it better sound on vinyl?its analog signal ,of course its better,but than again human ear do not spot the difference between pure analog sound and good digital record.
And also, man, badly ripped track will sound like shit on any medium.
You can defend vinyl as much as you like but its still outdated and dead. as human technology in sound capturing ,processing and preserving develops i dont think that vinyls will be called state of the art tech.
15 years old CD? dude tech used to make that cd is shit compared to tech used now.vinyl did not changed in last 30 years,only machinery for its recording and reproduction was changed.Like i said we will wait some 20 years and see...
----
20.10.2011 - 00:34
malaikat

Well, they are still making vinyls. Ergo, they exist for more than half a century (bolded, underlined, and in italic, yes). Outdated - only in strictly technical terms. CD's will cease to exist in less than a decade - by 2025, music will be distribute strictly via download, there will be no or very little cd's, and yet there will still be vinyls. It's like saying black and white film or 2D graphics are outdated. By matters of technology, yes. By manners of (broadly speaking) art, no way.
Face it dude, vinyls beat the cassetes, vinyls will beat the CD as well. Yes, the music is slowly going more and more mobile as you said, but for those who just sit at home and listen to it, vinyl is the shit.
Seriously, do you own a single CD or vinyl? I mean, if the main reason if vinyl's inferiority is "lack of mobility" and "taking up the space", then you've deffinitely got it all wrong. I mean, I'm the first to dl music, and I have, like everyone, a shitload of GBs on my hard drive, but browsing through CD shop, buying a cd/vinyl, enjoying the cover art, the booklet, just listening to the album whilst reading the lyrics, that's an expirience. And some people just want to invest in their pleasant expriences, that's all.
Besides, here you are ranting about vinyl being outdated and useless, yet the bands still publish their albums on vinyl. And the people buy it. A lot of people (fewer than those who buy CDs, ofcourse, but there are few enthusiasts in every field in general). Sorry for being a jerk, but it's obvious you're wrong on this one.

PS - who the f*ck said that vinyls are "state of the art"? This isn't the discussion of wether vinyls are "more advanced" or not, they clearly are not. It's the matter of sound quality and durability. And, no, CDs are not "less durable" because of the laser discs in the player. Consider that some major countries, like France or Norway, who had their entire littereature digitalized and stored on CDs, had to throw the entire CD idea to trash because they figured out that, even after 10 years, CD's started to deteriorate thus making data on them unreadable. Now, they are simply storing data on hard drives or cloud servers. Chemical components of CD are just not that durable as previously thought - ask any expert. First, in the '80s, it was believed that CD could store data for decades, even centuries. Now, it is clear majority of CDs, except for those uber expensive, can last only up to a decade or two, more if they are kept in nearly NASA-like conditions.
20.10.2011 - 01:15
RavenKing

It only means that there is a resurgence, a new interest for this outdated medium since a while.
It doesn't make it less of an outdated technology in any way.
I know a few people who buy vinyls and they don't even have a turntable to play them. They only buy it for the package and because it is 'collector item'. Hell, after buying the vinyl they download the album online in order to be able to listen to it. So, I guess I see what Angel_Reaper means.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
20.10.2011 - 02:12
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by RavenKing on 20.10.2011 at 01:15

I know a few people who buy vinyls and they don't even have a turntable to play them. They only buy it for the package and because it is 'collector item'. Hell, after buying the vinyl they download the album online in order to be able to listen to it. So, I guess I see what Angel_Reaper means.

Jesus H. Christ, there are actually people like that around? Then I can see where you're coming from if you know people like that.
All the people, and that's quite a lot of people, both underground metal listeners, mainstream metal listeners and pop music listeners, that I know that buy vinyl also play it on their turntable and when they want convenience for their car stereo or even lazy times at home or their iPod they also buy the cd.
The only vinyls I personally don't play are the the special versions of a vinyl I already own (like for example a different pressing from abroad or coloured vinyls where I already own the black one) But those special versions are just on the side as the really nerdy geeky type of stamp collecting thing. If I only own one coloured vinyl of an album which there is also other coloured of and a black but I don't own those versions I will always play my coloured vinyl.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2011 - 02:28
ANGEL REAPER

Written by malaikat on 20.10.2011 at 00:34

Well, they are still making vinyls. Ergo, they exist for more than half a century (bolded, underlined, and in italic, yes). Outdated - only in strictly technical terms. CD's will cease to exist in less than a decade - by 2025, music will be distribute strictly via download, there will be no or very little cd's, and yet there will still be vinyls. It's like saying black and white film or 2D graphics are outdated. By matters of technology, yes. By manners of (broadly speaking) art, no way.
Face it dude, vinyls beat the cassetes, vinyls will beat the CD as well. Yes, the music is slowly going more and more mobile as you said, but for those who just sit at home and listen to it, vinyl is the shit.
Seriously, do you own a single CD or vinyl? I mean, if the main reason if vinyl's inferiority is "lack of mobility" and "taking up the space", then you've deffinitely got it all wrong. I mean, I'm the first to dl music, and I have, like everyone, a shitload of GBs on my hard drive, but browsing through CD shop, buying a cd/vinyl, enjoying the cover art, the booklet, just listening to the album whilst reading the lyrics, that's an expirience. And some people just want to invest in their pleasant expriences, that's all.
Besides, here you are ranting about vinyl being outdated and useless, yet the bands still publish their albums on vinyl. And the people buy it. A lot of people (fewer than those who buy CDs, ofcourse, but there are few enthusiasts in every field in general). Sorry for being a jerk, but it's obvious you're wrong on this one.

PS - who the f*ck said that vinyls are "state of the art"? This isn't the discussion of wether vinyls are "more advanced" or not, they clearly are not. It's the matter of sound quality and durability. And, no, CDs are not "less durable" because of the laser discs in the player. Consider that some major countries, like France or Norway, who had their entire littereature digitalized and stored on CDs, had to throw the entire CD idea to trash because they figured out that, even after 10 years, CD's started to deteriorate thus making data on them unreadable. Now, they are simply storing data on hard drives or cloud servers. Chemical components of CD are just not that durable as previously thought - ask any expert. First, in the '80s, it was believed that CD could store data for decades, even centuries. Now, it is clear majority of CDs, except for those uber expensive, can last only up to a decade or two, more if they are kept in nearly NASA-like conditions.

man i dont give a fuck to be honest about vinyl,cd or semiconductors...
If you find pleasure in material possessing of audio mediums with band names on it than enjoy it.If you read all what i wrote here you will find that i consider vinyls outdated strictly in tech term and that making music collection of such mediums i call "nothing more than stamp collecting hobby".
Do i need material medium like cd for my music? Hell no! I have everything in digital form and dont give a damn fuck about " browsing through CD shop, buying a cd/vinyl, enjoying the cover art, the booklet, just listening to the album whilst reading the lyrics".Who gives a fuck how the box is painted ,as far as i am interested MUSIC IS THE FREAKING POINT OF ANY ALBUM ! I get why Marcel like vinyl -he is from generation that grew up with it and old habits die hard.I get why you like it because your dad have a shitload of them.I dont get only one thing : why you are trying to convince me something? I dont give a fuck! here laugh as much as you like...you "owned" me...but than again have you asked yourself this simple thing "Is the music thing that you seek when you buy it,or the package is what you seek ?"I like music,package (therefore medium on which its stored) is irrelevant to me.
Also this have nothing to do with the fuck that Drakthrone become greedy like every Second Wave band lately and that instead printing it on some wider spread medium ,they decided to print the demo stuff on one lets say "collectors holly grail" one.
RavenKing at least got what i meant to say.
----
20.10.2011 - 02:31
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 20.10.2011 at 02:28

Also this have nothing to do with the fuck that Drakthrone become greedy like every Second Wave band lately and that instead printing it on some wider spread medium ,they decided to print the demo stuff on one lets say "collectors holly grail" one.

Were they to print it on cd instead of limited vinyl (probably limited to 500 or 1000) you could call them greedy but not in this case, because now they limit it and the margin a band makes on vinyl is less than on cd
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2011 - 02:35
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.10.2011 at 02:31

Were they to print it on cd instead of limited vinyl (probably limited to 500 or 1000) you could call them greedy but not in this case, because now they limit it and the margin a band makes on vinyl is less than on cd

they could gave us for free ...Its demo recordings ."DEMO"!
I didnt get a single buck out of my demo recordings nor that i expect to.Thats just extra cash without real trouble for them.
I am not interested in their demo tapes and the vinyl/cd/whatever version of it so i just constant this as "repeating pattern " among many 2nd wave BM bands lately.
----
20.10.2011 - 02:37
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
If 'hipsters" are buying vinyl, hipsters are more valuable to the music industry and metal than metal fans who have 9,000 songs on their pc and eight compact disks on the shelves.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
20.10.2011 - 02:41
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by ANGEL REAPER on 20.10.2011 at 02:35

I didnt get a single buck out of my demo recordings nor that i expect to.Thats just extra cash without real trouble for them.
I am not interested in their demo tapes and the vinyl/cd/whatever version of it so i just constant this as "repeating pattern " among many 2nd wave BM bands lately.

Demo's were recorded to SELL to consumers and send to record companies. So remastering them (which costs money) and releasing them (which also costs money) so of course they want money for it. Back in the day those demo's were only released on cassette which costs quite a bit of money (certainly a lot more than releasing a demo nowadays)
If you think that this re-release will make them any profits you really need to rethink how the music business works. If they are lucky they will break even on this and that's it.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2011 - 02:42
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
The reason why you see demos being re-released is because there is a demand for it. People want them on vinyl/cd whatever with proper artwork and liner notes on the process (both writing and recording) behind the songs. It's all part of the history of a band.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2011 - 02:44
RavenKing

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.10.2011 at 02:12

Written by RavenKing on 20.10.2011 at 01:15

Jesus H. Christ, there are actually people like that around? Then I can see where you're coming from if you know people like that.
All the people, and that's quite a lot of people, both underground metal listeners, mainstream metal listeners and pop music listeners, that I know that buy vinyl also play it on their turntable and when they want convenience for their car stereo or even lazy times at home or their iPod they also buy the cd.
The only vinyls I personally don't play are the the special versions of a vinyl I already own (like for example a different pressing from abroad or coloured vinyls where I already own the black one) But those special versions are just on the side as the really nerdy geeky type of stamp collecting thing. If I only own one coloured vinyl of an album which there is also other coloured of and a black but I don't own those versions I will always play my coloured vinyl.

I swear that it's what those people are doing.
I don't know how it is in Europe but, here, I think I honestly don't know anybody who still owns a functional turntable.

I have nothing against bands who release stuff on vinyls. I know there is a small market for it at the moment. I just happen to have no interest for this.

In this case, I just don't see the point for Darkthrone to re-release their old demos because, imo, this stuff is extremely mediocre.
----
They shake your hand and they smile and they buy you a drink
They say we'll be your friends we'll stick with you till the end
But everybody's only looking out for themselves
And you say who can you trust I'll tell you nobody
20.10.2011 - 02:44
ANGEL REAPER

Written by BitterCOld on 20.10.2011 at 02:37

If 'hipsters" are buying vinyl, hipsters are more valuable to the music industry and metal than metal fans who have 9,000 songs on their pc and eight compact disks on the shelves.

+1
i didnt say that digital songs should be an illegal one.The digital tracks should be bought like any other CD or good.someone here already wrote that bands profit more on digital downloads than printing vinyls (Troy, i believe ).So hipsters actually just help industry a little ,dont keep it alive.And when did art becoming a industry become a good thing?<-a philosophical question...
----
20.10.2011 - 02:47
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.10.2011 at 02:42

The reason why you see demos being re-released is because there is a demand for it. People want them on vinyl/cd whatever with proper artwork and liner notes on the process (both writing and recording) behind the songs. It's all part of the history of a band.

so you see why do i called that fetishism?
" People want them on vinyl/cd whatever with proper artwork and liner notes on the process (both writing and recording) behind the songs. It's all part of the history of a band."
i just consider it that way, i dont trying to divert people from demanding it,and buying it...do what ever do you like.
----
20.10.2011 - 02:50
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.10.2011 at 02:41

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 20.10.2011 at 02:35

Demo's were recorded to SELL to consumers and send to record companies. So remastering them (which costs money) and releasing them (which also costs money) so of course they want money for it. Back in the day those demo's were only released on cassette which costs quite a bit of money (certainly a lot more than releasing a demo nowadays)
If you think that this re-release will make them any profits you really need to rethink how the music business works. If they are lucky they will break even on this and that's it.

that dont make them less greedy.
----
20.10.2011 - 02:50
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Since when is wanting to own something by a band on a physical carier a fetish? Wanting it as mp3/flac whatever is then as much of a fetish.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2011 - 02:52
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
So a band should give away all their music for free? If they created something they have every right to ask money for it (or give it away and even lose money on it if they want to).
It seems that here you, the fan in general, are the greedy one by not wanting to pay for something a band created.
----

Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

20.10.2011 - 02:54
malaikat

If you find pleasure in material possessing of audio mediums with band names on it than enjoy it.If you read all what i wrote here you will find that i consider vinyls outdated strictly in tech term and that making music collection of such mediums i call "nothing more than stamp collecting hobby".
Do i need material medium like cd for my music? Hell no! I have everything in digital form and dont give a damn fuck about " browsing through CD shop, buying a cd/vinyl, enjoying the cover art, the booklet, just listening to the album whilst reading the lyrics".Who gives a fuck how the box is painted ,as far as i am interested MUSIC IS THE FREAKING POINT OF ANY ALBUM ! I get why Marcel like vinyl -he is from generation that grew up with it and old habits die hard.I get why you like it because your dad have a shitload of them.I dont get only one thing : why you are trying to convince me something? I dont give a fuck! here laugh as much as you like...you "owned" me...but than again have you asked yourself this simple thing "Is the music thing that you seek when you buy it,or the package is what you seek ?"I like music,package (therefore medium on which its stored) is irrelevant to me.

So? If it's just a hobby, why does it bother you such?

And btw, how DO you listen to music when you do? Do you just stick a mp3 in your player and just go with it? And then go call other people "obsolete" because you're so "modern"?

Well, youngster, you are dead wrong. Yes, music is the main deal on the album, but it ain't the only deal. Do you appreciate the artwork? Because someone worked hard on that, and the band payed big amount of money for it to look the way it does (I'm not speaking about underground bands, obviously). Do you appreciate the booklet? Again, someone went through a lot of effort to give you such a thing - not to mention some albums which booklets are size of a small book. Do you appreciate the lyrics imprinted on the booklet? After all, lyrics are 50% of the musical expirience. Not to mention that some bands pull of some amazing lyrics.

What I want to say - you like your music the way it is. You just pop your songs on your mp3 and that's it. Some more dedicated music fans appreciate every bit of thing album offers - artwork, packaging, lyrics, everything. I mean, how can you listen to bands such as Mastodon or Deathspell Omega (or Death, which is in your favourites) without giving a shit for the visual look of the album or the lyrics? Those things matter to a lot of people. Btw, I'm in temptation to connect all this to your statement you once brought up in the SB that "progressive metal is boring" to you, which would maybe explain a thing or two about your listening habits in general, but I'll leave it alone.

Point is: you took your stance like vinyls aren't made at all, and like albums are sold without cover art or booklet whatsoever. What I want to say (again):
I'm sorry, but you're dillusional, dude. Marcel gives you the official statistic that vinyl sales are constantly rising, you respond with a rant against "fetisch and kitch collectors", like you're some sort of communist figthing the bourgeoisie. Further on, I point out that, despite of what you said, objective evidence point out that a) people are bying vinyl more and more and b) CD as a medium is dying, and yet again you take your thick-skulled stance.

Dude. Look around. Vinyls exist. More and more people are bying it. CD is dying off. People who enjoy the full album expirience aren't neccesarily "fetish collectors". You aren't trve and kvlt just because you hate richly decorated editions.

That is all. Sorry for being rude. /rant
20.10.2011 - 02:59
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.10.2011 at 02:52

So a band should give away all their music for free? If they created something they have every right to ask money for it (or give it away and even lose money on it if they want to).
It seems that here you, the fan in general, are the greedy one by not wanting to pay for something a band created.

no reed the few post back i answered that question
----
20.10.2011 - 03:01
ANGEL REAPER

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 20.10.2011 at 02:50

Since when is wanting to own something by a band on a physical carier a fetish? Wanting it as mp3/flac whatever is then as much of a fetish.

on philosophical level a fetish is even when you want to posses rarities . its not necessary a bad thing.(although these days it have really perverse meaning to a lot of people).
----
20.10.2011 - 03:14
ANGEL REAPER

Written by malaikat on 20.10.2011 at 02:54

So? If it's just a hobby, why does it bother you such?

And btw, how DO you listen to music when you do? Do you just stick a mp3 in your player and just go with it? And then go call other people "obsolete" because you're so "modern"?

Well, youngster, you are dead wrong. Yes, music is the main deal on the album, but it ain't the only deal. Do you appreciate the artwork? Because someone worked hard on that, and the band payed big amount of money for it to look the way it does (I'm not speaking about underground bands, obviously). Do you appreciate the booklet? Again, someone went through a lot of effort to give you such a thing - not to mention some albums which booklets are size of a small book. Do you appreciate the lyrics imprinted on the booklet? After all, lyrics are 50% of the musical expirience. Not to mention that some bands pull of some amazing lyrics.

What I want to say - you like your music the way it is. You just pop your songs on your mp3 and that's it. Some more dedicated music fans appreciate every bit of thing album offers - artwork, packaging, lyrics, everything. I mean, how can you listen to bands such as Mastodon or Deathspell Omega (or Death, which is in your favourites) without giving a shit for the visual look of the album or the lyrics? Those things matter to a lot of people. Btw, I'm in temptation to connect all this to your statement you once brought up in the SB that "progressive metal is boring" to you, which would maybe explain a thing or two about your listening habits in general, but I'll leave it alone.

Point is: you took your stance like vinyls aren't made at all, and like albums are sold without cover art or booklet whatsoever. What I want to say (again):
I'm sorry, but you're dillusional, dude. Marcel gives you the official statistic that vinyl sales are constantly rising, you respond with a rant against "fetisch and kitch collectors", like you're some sort of communist figthing the bourgeoisie. Further on, I point out that, despite of what you said, objective evidence point out that a) people are bying vinyl more and more and b) CD as a medium is dying, and yet again you take your thick-skulled stance.

Dude. Look around. Vinyls exist. More and more people are bying it. CD is dying off. People who enjoy the full album expirience aren't neccesarily "fetish collectors". You aren't trve and kvlt just because you hate richly decorated editions.

That is all. Sorry for being rude. /rant

so what you will tech me how to listen albums?
well ,old fart,(at least i didnt hide my ages in my profile ...)
when i turn the mp3 player on i sink into music.Yes i listen it in my room,when its dark and carefully analyze everything i hear.I dont find joy on stacking a pile of CDs ,and NEVER EVER listen music when i am on the move .Trve,kvlt? what the fuck??!?! I dont like prog because it have no effect on me why i listen to it and i dont want to smoke a shit load of weed in order to understand it .boring was a joke with another MSer in SB!Does it bother me what other people do? not a single fuck was given for that...
So ,old fart,did you ever heard about a people commenting something ?Why do you feel the need to point out that i am wrong?
I was into discussion with Marcel about "vinyls or not" and you didnt even (probably ) read it all from the start...
So i do understand why do you defend vinyls so much.
----
20.10.2011 - 03:21
malaikat

Written by ANGEL REAPER on 20.10.2011 at 03:14

so what you will tech me how to listen albums?
well ,old fart,(at least i didnt hide my ages in my profile ...)
when i turn the mp3 player on i sink into music.Yes i listen it in my room,when its dark and carefully analyze everything i hear.I dont find joy on stacking a pile of CDs ,and NEVER EVER listen music when i am on the move .Trve,kvlt? what the fuck??!?! I dont like prog because it have no effect on me why i listen to it and i dont want to smoke a shit load of weed in order to understand it .boring was a joke with another MSer in SB!Does it bother me what other people do? not a single fuck was given for that...
So ,old fart,did you ever heard about a people commenting something ?Why do you feel the need to point out that i am wrong?
I was into discussion with Marcel about "vinyls or not" and you didnt even (probably ) read it all from the start...
So i do understand why do you defend vinyls so much.

"Old fart"? "Smoking a shit load of weed"? Why do YOU feel the need to point out that we are wrong in the first place?

Whatever the case is, I can now see that there is no reasoning with you, as you constantly refuse to take objective evidence in consideration and constantly change direction of the argument (vinyls - fetishism, fetishism - vinyls). Good night, sir.

Hits total: 4227 | This month: 8