Metal Storm logo
Esoteric - New Song Online

"Cipher", a brand-new song from UK funeral doom metallers Esoteric can now be streamed on Season Of Mist's Facebook page (You'll have to "Like" the page to access the stream) and in the YouTube-video below for the time being.

"Cipher" comes off the band's upcoming album Paragon Of Dissonance, which is set to be released on November 11th through Season Of Mist. More album details were previously reported here and here.

Paragon Of Dissonance tracklist:

Disc I
01. Abandonment
02. Loss Of Will
03. Cipher
04. Non Being

Disc II
01. Aberration
02. Disconsolate
03. Torrent Of Ills

[Thanks to Deinonychus for the YouTube-link!]

Source: facebook.com
Band profile: Esoteric
Posted: 18.10.2011 by Panzerchrist

Comments

‹‹ Back to News
Comments: 31   Visited by: 113 users
18.10.2011 - 19:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Not bad. Not amazing either though.
18.10.2011 - 19:05
Panzerchrist
Account deleted
Written by Deinonychus on 18.10.2011 at 19:01

Fucking Facebook... It will be uploaded on Youtube any minute now I hope...

Send me a message, with the URL, if it does and I'll add it to this report.
18.10.2011 - 19:10
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 18.10.2011 at 19:05

Not bad. No amazing either though.

Judging too fast ?
----
He who is not bold enough
to be stared at from across the abyss
is not bold enough
to stare into it himself.
18.10.2011 - 19:12
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by InnerSelf on 18.10.2011 at 19:10

Judging too fast ?

It probably would be a bit better with context. Truth be known I'm a bit bored of that style of doom recently, it just all sounds the same these days. If anyone is going to impress me though it'll be Esoteric.
18.10.2011 - 19:29
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 18.10.2011 at 19:12

I'm a bit bored of that style of doom.

You mean Funeral doom in general? Because I'm not listening to too many Esoteric-like bands.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
18.10.2011 - 19:31
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 18.10.2011 at 19:12

Written by InnerSelf on 18.10.2011 at 19:10

Judging too fast ?

It probably would be a bit better with context. Truth be known I'm a bit bored of that style of doom recently, it just all sounds the same these days. If anyone is going to impress me though it'll be Esoteric.

That's what I meant, I was not going to download it but I ran out of patience .
and about "this kind of Doom" statement .... I find it a bit weird I don't think Esoteric plays a similar kind of Doom to any other DM band

@Mr.Doctor : ^
----
is not bold enough
18.10.2011 - 19:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.10.2011 at 19:29

You mean Funeral doom in general? Because I'm not listening to too many Esoteric-like bands.

Funeral Doom/Doom Death and the like. As I've said before there's zero sense of evolution in the genre and I can only tolerate so much of it really. This song is very decent though and I'm looking forward to listening to it in full, but I'm not jumping up and down in anticipation.
18.10.2011 - 19:35
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 18.10.2011 at 19:31

Written by X-Ray Rod on 18.10.2011 at 19:29

Funeral Doom/Doom Death and the like. As I've said before there's zero sense of evolution in the genre and I can only tolerate so much of it really. This song is very decent though and I'm looking forward to listening to it in full, but I'm not jumping up and down in anticipation.

Oh well, uit yourself I guess... I'm really not listening to any bands from that genre that comes close to sound like Esoteric but still... evolution is something good but just for the sake of being new is pretty absurd tbh. For me doom has never being healthier.
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.10.2011 - 19:36
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ok then Marc... er Rod ;]
18.10.2011 - 19:37
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 18.10.2011 at 19:36

Well, you know my Chilean/Swedish apostle is right
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.10.2011 - 19:38
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
His programming seems to be impeccable Marcel ;]
18.10.2011 - 19:50
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 18.10.2011 at 19:36

Ah c'mon!

Innerself has a point though, I do find your comment weird because "this kind of doom" and "Esoteric" is a weird combination to me. They have always pretty much stayed away from most comparisons to other bands.
And yeah, I do think doom is doing great. Most of my favorite albums in the recent years belongs to that genre (although this year black is doing great) and if they aren't doom, most of them do have a doomy vibe (Sonne Adam for example, then again... not the most original of the bunch)

I'm not really into the traditional doom scene though, just a couple of bands and that's it (quite a difference from my creator's tastes btw) because THAT'S a style that to me is devoid of originality most of the time. Originality is not the same as quality obviously... But I can only have a certain amount of bands from that style because they sound samey to me while it's not the same for extreme doom where I find many bands with their own specific sound.

Point is... I really feel like you just want change for the sake of changing things, which is a personal opinion so I won't comment more about it besides from "I don't agree with it" and "why change something that isn't broken (yet)".

RANT MODE OFF... [insert another comment that is extremely Marcel-like for you to mock].
END OF COMMENT
BZZZZZZZZZZZ*tic*
Rod, let me love you.
18.10.2011 - 20:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I'm not referring to Esoteric as a band in the past, just going on that song alone, and as a throwaway comment it doesn't make me think this is going to be groundbreaking or anything, just a good solid album. I don't really hold Esoteric in the esteem that most others do any more, I haven't listened to The Maniacal Vale in a very long time.

Saying that doom is currently healthy isn't the same as saying black or death metal is or isn't healthy as it encompasses much more styles than those two, or any others. As funeral doom goes I find it extremely redundant and occupying a little bubble that won't ever break because there's no desire for it to in the fans as a whole: no one ever critiques f-doom as unoriginal even though it is. In any light I don't have much interest invested in that area of music. If people are going to be praising stuff like Loss even though it's nothing more than another boring rehash then I'm quite happy to find my kicks elsewhere ;] I've said all this a few times before anyway so it's not something I need to go into again. This song I find decent and I'm open to finding something new and interesting in the album as a whole but I suspect it'll be remarkably similar to what I've heard before and the only expectation I have is that people will sing its praises in spite of that.

People complain (endlessly) about metalcore, melodeath, nu-metal, thrash etc. being boring and repetitive and unevolving so why should doom be any different? Because YOU (and your peers) like it, that's probably why. There's nothing odd and weird about wanting something that doesn't interest you to change into something that does. As such there's nothing wrong with something never changing because there'll always be a market for those that want the same thing but you have to expect the odd comment such as this. It's hard to critique a band like Esoteric and even other doom bands because their fans believe they are infallible, which is why my comment stirred up your response (and similar upcoming ones I suspect).
18.10.2011 - 20:36
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
User has a point, system is collapsing. Help me master! Help!
System shut down.
____

Quote:
As funeral doom goes I find it extremely redundant and occupying a little bubble that won't ever break because there's no desire for it to in the fans as a whole: no one ever critiques f-doom as unoriginal even though it is.

Well, that IS a very human thing to do: there's no desire for change since the majority fells like it's not necessary/don't demand/want any changes... On the other hand the bands don't change because they are seeing mostly good comments about what they do

Written by Guest on 18.10.2011 at 20:00
It's hard to critique a band like Esoteric and even other doom bands because their fans believe they are infallible, which is why my comment stirred up your response (and similar upcoming ones I suspect).

Nah, joe... You got that part wrong. It's not the fact that you wrote that the song was "decent" that stirred up my response. No one is perfect (not even my programming is perfect ) so being infallible isn't the topic here either. What stirred up my response and also the reason to why people have a hard time trying to critique a band like Esoteric is because they have build their very own nest and have a sound that you can always distinguish from any other band (this is the part where you have the right to disagree here). Bands like that will always be hard to critique and blame for doing "the same thing".

PS: I found the programming gag cool, wouldn't mind embracing it all the way... The concept of a computer program "being in love" with a certain elite is far more hilarious. Cheers brah.
----
Rod, let me love you.
18.10.2011 - 20:48
InnerSelf
proofread free
Like what Doc.exe said, there is nothing wrong with the fact that Esoteric could release a not-so-awesome song or that you find it alright and is not as exited as we are it is just that Esoteric can't be placed with any other Extreme Doom act. that's it
----
is not bold enough
18.10.2011 - 21:05
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
@Doc: That's kinda my point though. With a genre as insular as funeral doom there's little room for effective critical analysis as the majority of the audience are those that wish to hear it. The concept of an outside opinion, and one that perhaps suggest it's becoming an artless, stagnating pool of uncreativity (an extreme view for the sake of this argument) will never be a welcome one and would likely be met with either pure disdain and the suggestions that they just don't understand, or rather personal views such as "why fix something that isn't broken" (a view which seldom works with the more mainstream genres.)

I don't really understand your comment about the nest, unless you're citing a kind of extreme example where all those critiquing it are suggesting Esoteric are not perfect because they don't have an entirely unique sound. That's obviously not what I'm saying. I'm saying for a genre as old as funeral doom and doom death there's rather little variation of it as a whole and bands that are rehashing older sounds are getting mighty praise for doing so. I'll bitch slap any band that does that about any genre, but that's not what I said about Esoteric, I merely said I heard nothing groundbreaking in that song.

So you're admitting your love for Ana eh? I knew it

@Inner: I don't see it myself in this song, I see a variety of themes, feelings and sounds that are present in many other bands. Nothing unique here for me. Just good solid music. Only the full length will reveal all. The difference is I'm referring to this song, not the band ;] I certainly don't see Esoteric being in some league and/style of their own though. Esoteric fit quite nicely into a well established subset of music, despite some variations they have. They're not experimental, that's the only time I believe a band could be exempt, that song is far from being even progressive, let alone experimental.

I also think he should adopt Doc.exe as his username. Oh yes.
18.10.2011 - 21:18
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Why hasn't anybody trolled yet? :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.10.2011 - 21:44
Slayer666

Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.10.2011 at 21:18

This band, thread, song and users commenting on the thread are fake and gay. [/quick troll]

And btw, fuck you all, I wanna hear the damn song...
Never in my life did I think I would regret not having a Facebook.
18.10.2011 - 21:56
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Ya I'm waiting on the Youtube rip.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
18.10.2011 - 22:07
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 18.10.2011 at 21:05

I don't really understand your comment about the nest, unless you're citing a kind of extreme example where all those critiquing it are suggesting Esoteric are not perfect because they don't have an entirely unique sound. That's obviously not what I'm saying. I'm saying for a genre as old as funeral doom and doom death there's rather little variation of it as a whole and bands that are rehashing older sounds are getting mighty praise for doing so. I'll bitch slap any band that does that about any genre, but that's not what I said about Esoteric, I merely said I heard nothing groundbreaking in that song.

Oh well, I guess since your opinion about Funeral Doom and Death/Doom were in the same post as the Esoteric comment I kind of melted the opinions together My fault.

Rod.doc.exe Sounds pretty neat when I think about it.
----
Rod, let me love you.
19.10.2011 - 00:06
Deinonychus

Finally could hear it! It sounds amazing. Surprisingly not as oppressing as what we could hear in The Maniacal Vale. And as already said, I really want to hear this within the album; it will surely makes more sense.
19.10.2011 - 07:09
Daggon
Underpaid M.D.
Well, I don't give a fuck about opinions so I won't make one this time...

Oh shit, who cares, I fucking loved the song, totally different from some other metal albums I've been listening this year, only a few minutes to let me know why they are masters of what they do.
----
"Les vers savent qu'ils n'ont pas d'ailes, c'est pour cela qu'ils se cachent sous terre"
19.10.2011 - 08:36
BudDa

Written by Deinonychus on 18.10.2011 at 19:01

Fucking Facebook... It will be uploaded on Youtube any minute now I hope...

Send me a message, with the URL, if it does and I'll add it to this report.

Did that link ever surface?
----
Freeze! Step away from the hubris.
19.10.2011 - 08:50
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by BudDa on 19.10.2011 at 08:36

You're my hero.

And this song is fucking awesome.
----
19.10.2011 - 10:19
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Guest on 18.10.2011 at 21:05

@Inner: I don't see it myself in this song, I see a variety of themes, feelings and sounds that are present in many other bands. Nothing unique here for me. Just good solid music. Only the full length will reveal all. The difference is I'm referring to this song, not the band ;] I certainly don't see Esoteric being in some league and/style of their own though. Esoteric fit quite nicely into a well established subset of music, despite some variations they have. They're not experimental, that's the only time I believe a band could be exempt, that song is far from being even progressive, let alone experimental.

I was arguing you without listening to the song, just speaking in generalities. now that I've heard "and totally loving it " I agree that it is not original in an Esoteric scale and it is even similar in the mood and sound to Subconscious ....
what makes Esoteric really stand out for me is that they have established a sound of their own within a somehow narrow genre and I never heard of a band that played Psychedelic Doom before them "I don't know if there actually is a band that paved the way towards this kind of sound"

about the Doc.exe thingy, I think I should get credit whenever it is used
----
is not bold enough
19.10.2011 - 16:17
Slayer666

Written by BudDa on 19.10.2011 at 08:36

You. Effin'. Rule.
And Deinonychus, apparently.

Waay lighter than I expected, and not quite as good. Will give it more time.
Maybe the thing that put me off is the fact that I was expecting some kind of ultra-heavy, crushing moment to come along "any second now" (like on most of Esoteric's works) but it never came. A bit anti-climatic, methinks.
19.10.2011 - 17:40
InnerSelf
proofread free
Written by Slayer666 on 19.10.2011 at 16:17

Maybe the thing that put me off is the fact that I was expecting some kind of ultra-heavy, crushing moment to come along "any second now" (like on most of Esoteric's works) but it never came. A bit anti-climatic, methinks.

This is more in the vein of Subconscious and Metamorphogenesis, melody driven and a bit lighter than usual
----
is not bold enough
20.10.2011 - 11:01
Symmachus

Written by Slayer666 on 18.10.2011 at 21:44

Written by Troy Killjoy on 18.10.2011 at 21:18

This band, thread, song and users commenting on the thread are fake and gay. [/quick troll]

And btw, fuck you all, I wanna hear the damn song...
Never in my life did I think I would regret not having a Facebook.

Eh, you're not missing anything by not having a Facebook. I wish a lot that I didn't have one. Also, the song's already on youtube, as stated by others here, so you can go there without having to get a youtube account.

Written by Deinonychus on 18.10.2011 at 22:32

Surprising no one has uploaded it yet... What a shitty idea to make it only available to Facebook users.

I agree with this statement.
22.10.2011 - 19:34
White Winter Sun
Laboratory's Rat
Sounds pretty good. The Maniacal Vale was a gem. I hope that Paragon Of Dissonance will be another one. Anyway album placed on my wishlist.
23.10.2011 - 14:10
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Slayer666 on 19.10.2011 at 16:17

Same as Innerself, this song is more in the vein of "Subconscious..." which was an album mostly based on melody and a mysterious atmosphere rather than an oppressive one. I personally love how hipnotic it is, mainly because I wasn't in the same state of mind as you were.
----
Rod, let me love you.

Hits total: 4176 | This month: 5