Metal Storm logo
Bicycles

Original post

Posted by , 18.10.2011 - 23:59
Since I do live in a big city, most of my destinations can be reached with a bike. There is a big scene going on all over the world right now called Fixie Riding. What fixie riding is, you take a road bike, throw a fixed gear on it, enjoy. The peddles control the wheel 100%, no coasting, when the peddles move the tire moves, vise versa. Its one hell of a workout but its way fun.
Does anyone else ride bikes?

Here is an example of fixie riding. Don't talk trash on it until you have tried.
18.11.2011 - 19:10
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 18.11.2011 at 18:19

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.11.2011 at 15:21

Written by Guest on 17.11.2011 at 19:48

Exactly. Either way your feet should be strapped in when riding a fixie. If not, prepare for some pain.

Here feet are never strapped in when riding a fixed gear bike. Feet are only strapped in with racing bikes.
Actually it's safer to have the feet free on the paddles cause when you fall you can use your feet as well. With strapped in feet it's much harder to unfree them and you might actually break your ankles or other parts of the feet.

Sure.
Here the mass majority of fixed gear riders have their feet strapped in.
I have been riding fixed gear for over 4 years and have yet to fall. In fact I have never fallen off the bike. With bumps in the road, or really anything without the feet strapped in I have lost my foot and the peddle has tore up my legs. Ever since I have used straps, the problem has been solved. I just don't put myself in a situation where I would fall. Of course if I was riding anything but a fixed gear I wouldn't have my feet strapped in.

I have fallen off my bike countless times but never tore my leg but thenm of course I wear long trousers and the only time I fall off the bike is when I am totally drunk in the middle of the night. Tore of a bit of eyebrow fallen drunkenly with my head on the steering wheel hahahaha
But then again we don't really use fixed gear bikes for racing. It's our normal mode of transport (like in China)
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

18.11.2011 - 19:47
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.11.2011 at 19:10

Written by Guest on 18.11.2011 at 18:19

Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 18.11.2011 at 15:21

Written by Guest on 17.11.2011 at 19:48

Exactly. Either way your feet should be strapped in when riding a fixie. If not, prepare for some pain.

Here feet are never strapped in when riding a fixed gear bike. Feet are only strapped in with racing bikes.
Actually it's safer to have the feet free on the paddles cause when you fall you can use your feet as well. With strapped in feet it's much harder to unfree them and you might actually break your ankles or other parts of the feet.

Sure.
Here the mass majority of fixed gear riders have their feet strapped in.
I have been riding fixed gear for over 4 years and have yet to fall. In fact I have never fallen off the bike. With bumps in the road, or really anything without the feet strapped in I have lost my foot and the peddle has tore up my legs. Ever since I have used straps, the problem has been solved. I just don't put myself in a situation where I would fall. Of course if I was riding anything but a fixed gear I wouldn't have my feet strapped in.

I have fallen off my bike countless times but never tore my leg but thenm of course I wear long trousers and the only time I fall off the bike is when I am totally drunk in the middle of the night. Tore of a bit of eyebrow fallen drunkenly with my head on the steering wheel hahahaha
But then again we don't really use fixed gear bikes for racing. It's our normal mode of transport (like in China)

I use mine for transportation. Just if you are going at a decent speed and that foot slips off, that peddle tears up the leg.
20.11.2011 - 00:07
Valentin B
Iconoclast

ah, so that means you live my fantasy of riding back from concerts in the middle of the night while drunk to use the cash you would have paid for a taxi to get wasted at the gig? cool i thought of doing that myself, but it would only really work for half the year. It's too cold between october and april to ride a bike at night.
21.11.2011 - 18:57
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 20.11.2011 at 00:07

ah, so that means you live my fantasy of riding back from concerts in the middle of the night while drunk to use the cash you would have paid for a taxi to get wasted at the gig? cool i thought of doing that myself, but it would only really work for half the year. It's too cold between october and april to ride a bike at night.

I usually get a taxi. I hate riding in the cold or during the rainy season. For to much torture.
21.11.2011 - 19:22
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Written by Guest on 21.11.2011 at 18:57

I usually get a taxi. I hate riding in the cold or during the rainy season. For to much torture.

When I work night shifts here and I manage to save a taxi voucher or they give me too many, then I get a taxi back from gigs too.

I haven't taken a usual taxi in at least a year, they're pretty expensive around here and I don't like the feeling of "well, I could have walked back just fine", only thing is it takes a bit too long.

Of course a bike would be the solution to both those problems..
30.11.2011 - 22:35
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 21.11.2011 at 19:22

Written by Guest on 21.11.2011 at 18:57

When I work night shifts here and I manage to save a taxi voucher or they give me too many, then I get a taxi back from gigs too.

I haven't taken a usual taxi in at least a year, they're pretty expensive around here and I don't like the feeling of "well, I could have walked back just fine", only thing is it takes a bit too long.

Of course a bike would be the solution to both those problems..

Lucky. Here in the US they would never give out Taxi Vouchers. Not a bad idea though.
03.12.2011 - 13:28
Raiden
Down Under Staff
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 15.11.2011 at 15:53

Written by Raiden on 23.10.2011 at 07:16

That fixie thing doesn't sound very appealing. Or all that safe even. What happens if you're screaming down a hill and your legs can't keep up? You'd just crash.

Is that a serious question?
Simple, stop paddling and use the brakes.

I dunno, I guess I've never really associated braking with...still peddling. It would be like trying to slow down and speed up at the same time. Going down a hill I would imagine myself having to lift my feet up and have the pedals spinning around by themselves below.
----
"Scream for me Melbourne!!!!"
- Bruce Dickinson

"I don't see any god up here"
- Yuri Gagarin (while in orbit, 1961)
29.04.2012 - 01:39
Valentin B
Iconoclast
I have been a huge bike fan ever since I learned how to ride one when I was 5 or so. I bought a new bike about 3 weeks ago, been taking it to go to the gym (warm-up exercise included in the commute ) and even to work at one point. a crowded bus ride which normally takes at least 20 minutes with a lot of unhygienic people in it took me 13 minutes last monday/tuesday, riding almost chopper-style like a goddam boss on the side of the boulevard with my leather jacket and sunglasses on. I have yet to find an instance when getting with a bike from point A to point B took me more than the bus or other public transport (which is the only other solution until I get a car).

I can see why I'm quite alone in my riding endeavors, biking around here is a bit scary as people drive like crazy with almost no bike lanes (or at least bike lanes which are actually not used by clueless pedestrians or parked cars), and in the night stray dogs can pose a problem in non-central areas of Bucharest, and of course people drive even more recklessly at night. I do have to admit though being one of the few who actually take the bike not for leisure purposes means I have the roadside all to myself

As for the equipment, mine is really a full-blown mountain bike, with cable brakes, springs, gears and all that stuff, which I need in order to not have to avoid every single pothole, jump the enormous curbs in my city and to make it easier to ride uphill. Only problem is that the pedals are made of plastic, and I don't expect them to last more than a year or so.

I would probably go crazy if I rode a fixed gear "retro" bike. apart from the people who want to recycle and those that keep them because they're cheap, I have no idea why they ride them as it's a total literal pain in the ass, only work in flat terrain and are extremely difficult to brake with. mountain bikes are the shit
29.04.2012 - 02:32
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
I ride a Norco Bushpilot, it's pretty fun for some light downhill and trail stuff. i live too far out in the boonies to ride around town though :'C
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
03.09.2012 - 18:07
GrayWiZZarD
Account deleted
In India most of the bikes dont even have gear systems.. so we are already there
I love riding gear bikes though, it is fun
03.09.2012 - 22:40
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Valentin B on 29.04.2012 at 01:39

I would probably go crazy if I rode a fixed gear "retro" bike. apart from the people who want to recycle and those that keep them because they're cheap, I have no idea why they ride them as it's a total literal pain in the ass, only work in flat terrain and are extremely difficult to brake with. mountain bikes are the shit

Fixed geared bikes are very good bikes. The maintenance and repairs are really cheap. You get back what you put into it, the effort for in city commuting compared to a geared bike is a whole lot less. They are easy to break with if you have brakes on them. Only fucking idiots ride without them. They work on hilled terrain, just have to know how to ride.

Mountain bikes are fun but not good for commuting. The wide tires mean more contact on the ground, more effort you have to put into it. Majority of people who do ride fixed geared bikes do use them for riding around. I now commute really far every day. I used a geared road bike for the longest time. Tried a fixed for commuting, fucking eh was I missing out. Less effort, gets you from point a to b whole lot fast. Of course they are only good for city riding.
06.09.2012 - 23:55
Yellax

I live in downtown Toronto and drive my bike everywhere. It gets a bit dangerous but I manage.
----
I'm a furry. Get used to it.
07.09.2012 - 19:45
EmperorGonzo
Account deleted
Written by Yellax on 06.09.2012 at 23:55

I live in downtown Toronto and drive my bike everywhere. It gets a bit dangerous but I manage.

The danger is just half the fun.