Metal Storm logo
St. Anger VS Lulu

Original post

Posted by , 20.10.2011 - 00:10
Please no comments like both albums sucks, and Metallica sucks etc.. If you don't like both albums just go away.

I really want to know the results of this poll, since these two albums are the least favorite Metallica's albums, for most of the people. For me I just listened to Lulu and I found it boring, there is some cool parts on the album like in the "Cheat On Me" song, but in general it's not as good as St. Anger which has some catchy riffs and some really good songs on it, my vote goes to St. Anger. So which album do you think it's a bit better?

Poll

Which album you think it's better?

St. Anger
Lulu

Total votes: 86
21.10.2011 - 02:09
JD
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.10.2011 at 02:06

Metallica fanboy denial.

And that's why I didn't quote him.
21.10.2011 - 02:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guest on 21.10.2011 at 02:09

Watch this...
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.10.2011 - 02:11
JD
Account deleted
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.10.2011 at 02:10

Written by Guest on 21.10.2011 at 02:09

Watch this...

[Like]
21.10.2011 - 02:11
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Justice on 20.10.2011 at 22:58
lulu is not metallica album

That's funny, I could have swore I read about Lou Reed collaborating with Metallica to release an album with the exact same name as this!
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.10.2011 - 02:59
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
St. Anger: A masterpiece!
21.10.2011 - 03:17
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by IronAngel on 20.10.2011 at 21:56
The few songs I heard off Lulu weren't horrible. Rather chaotic and directionless, but I don't hear anything to warrant such strong reactions as I'm seeing here.

Anything Metallica do these days warrants strong reactions, and certainly stronger reactions than for most other bands. Im not saying if some other band had made this album with Lou Reed all the people panning it would be suddenly praising it. But I think it's pretty safe to say that the level of venom directed at it probably wouldn't be so high or extreme if it was any other band but Metallica who'd done it. I still haven't listened to the whole album, and what I have heard has been poor, and as you say "chaotic and directionless". But I would agree with you that the level of hatred towards it is a bit OTT.

Just about the worst thing I could really say about "Lulu", is that Metallica and Lou Reed just don't mix, and this project was a huge mistake. And much more so for Metallica than for Lou Reed I think!
21.10.2011 - 05:33
king_matt

Written by Guest on 21.10.2011 at 02:59

...compared to Lulu.
----
http://www.last.fm/user/King_Matt
21.10.2011 - 06:38
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
For me, Lulu obnoxiously seems to be interesting with some really awful songs viewing in the tracklist of "Loutellica". *pretty sure* It was hell to the fuck boring but "Oh Please"!! St Anger is an awesome album compare to the recent amateur work( Have I said it too much? ). My Vote is for 2003 work!! (:
21.10.2011 - 06:52
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.10.2011 at 06:38
Lulu obnoxiously seems to be interesting

What? :s
----
21.10.2011 - 06:56
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.10.2011 at 06:52

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.10.2011 at 06:38
Lulu obnoxiously seems to be interesting

What? :s

I think musically!!!
21.10.2011 - 07:01
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.10.2011 at 06:56
I think musically!!!

I just don't understand what you mean by saying it's obnoxiously interesting.

Unless you mean like, it's horrifyingly attractive? Like the car accident so bad you can't look away analogy?
----
21.10.2011 - 08:43
dougver1

Lulu made me laugh... a lot. So it at least has that. Then again, so did st. anger, with its tin can snare drum and songwriting that sounded like it was done by a 12 year old. I mean, who in the right mind would take phrases 'FRAN-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC-TIC TOCK' seriously?
21.10.2011 - 12:39
Justice

Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.10.2011 at 02:11

Written by Justice on 20.10.2011 at 22:58
lulu is not metallica album

That's funny, I could have swore I read about Lou Reed collaborating with Metallica to release an album with the exact same name as this!

its clear that all lyrics and most of any song is for lou reed
listen to the old lou reed stuff and you will see
21.10.2011 - 13:48
Yavanna

I can hardly believe some people voted on LULU... St. Anger can be heard, but lulu... even reading the lyrics is disgusting, nevermind the songs
----
Carry me to the shoreline
Bury me in the sand
Walk me across the water
And maybe you'll understand
21.10.2011 - 15:34
Angelic Storm
Melodious
I've just read through some of the lyrics, and although it was Lou Reed who wrote them, I still have to admire Metallica a bit for doing the exact opposite of playing safe. James Hetfield before this album, would have been one of the last guys I'd have expected to sing lyrics like "I'm a small town girl"... Regardless of the musical quality of the album, it takes a lot of balls for a guy to sing stuff like that, especially a guy like James who is perceived as being so macho... At least Metallica have never been predictable, which is a great thing, regardless of the misguided and foolish nature of somethings' they've done over the years.
21.10.2011 - 15:40
vezzy
Stallmanite
Written by Angelic Storm on 21.10.2011 at 15:34
I still have to admire Metallica a bit for doing the exact opposite of playing safe. James Hetfield before this album, would have been one of the last guys I'd have expected to sing lyrics like "I'm a small town girl"... Regardless of the musical quality of the album, it takes a lot of balls for a guy to sing stuff like that, especially a guy like James who is perceived as being so macho...

Isn't that like, the antithesis of balls?

It would have taken significantly more balls if he sang that 25 years ago.
----
Licensed under the GPLv3.
Relinquish proprietary software for a greater GNU/America.
21.10.2011 - 15:52
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by vezzy on 21.10.2011 at 15:40
Isn't that like, the antithesis of balls?

It would have taken significantly more balls if he sang that 25 years ago.

Not in the metal world, no. And even though they made the album with Lou Reed, a great deal of metalheads will still listen to it because Metallica are playing on it. So. knowing that a great deal of their own fans and general metalheads will be listening to it, then I think it did take a certain amount of balls, yep.

I definitely agree though, that it would have taken more balls for them to have done it 25 years ago, but I guess back then, they'd have had significantly more to lose in doing something like that. Metallica are basically so huge now, they can do exactly what they like and even if a certain portion of their fanbase deserts them, they can easily ride that storm. But still... hearing James singing stuff like that is a bit "woah!", and he will take immense flak for that, so it still took balls I think. I still think it was a bad idea for them to make this album, at least in a purely musical sense, so I'm not saying I like the album. (I still havent heard the whole thing, but what I have heard, hasn't done much for me) But even so, I think any band who does something so outside of the box and their comfort zone should be admired, even if the end product isn't very good.
21.10.2011 - 19:23
3rdWorldFuckface
Account deleted
WOW.... this is certainly not the way to go and experiment for a metal band then. Gud lesson we've learnt from Metallica.
21.10.2011 - 20:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Justice on 21.10.2011 at 12:39
listen to the old lou reed stuff and you will see

Listen to the old Metallica stuff and you will clearly see. There are these weird moments where I swear I hear the band playing their instruments and Hetfield even sings, just like they do on other Metallica albums! :O

It's almost like...it's almost like it is a Metallica release.
----
21.10.2011 - 20:58
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by king_matt on 21.10.2011 at 05:33

Written by Guest on 21.10.2011 at 02:59

...compared to Lulu.

Of couse, but I think St. Anger isn't bad at all.
Rated it with an 6.
21.10.2011 - 21:05
Guib
Thrash Talker
Both albums sucks, and metallica sucks and etc... and Im gonna go away
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.10.2011 - 04:12
GroundZero

Lulu is like 1'000,000 times better than St. Anger, in fact everything is better than St. Anger, even the silence.
22.10.2011 - 06:24
Cuca Beludo
Account deleted
Written by GroundZero on 22.10.2011 at 04:12

Lulu is like 1'000,000 times better than St. Anger, in fact everything is better than St. Anger, even the silence.

And here's the guy that most hate St. Anger...
22.10.2011 - 07:53
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Written by Guest on 20.10.2011 at 00:10

Please no comments like both albums sucks, and Metallica sucks etc.. If you don't like both albums just go away.

Uhmmm, no. You've basically propped up two albums commonly accepted as absolute garbage, then demand that people like at least one of them before voting. That limits the potential voters to about 3 people. Sorry, but making this demand is ridiculous.

Both albums suck. I can't decide which pile of feces I'd rather consume.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
22.10.2011 - 09:34
GroundZero

Written by Guest on 22.10.2011 at 06:24

Written by GroundZero on 22.10.2011 at 04:12

And here's the guy that most hate St. Anger...

Not really, the problem is St. Anger is one of the most boring albums I've ever listened to, I can't listen to it without feeling sleepy.
22.10.2011 - 11:17
Valentin B
Iconoclast
St. Anger is much better less horrid than Lulu imo.

But i do think you're comparing different things as Lulu wasn't meant as a metal album and doesn't sound like one.

Anyway at least St. Anger has some kind of melody and "it's so bad it's good" appeal to it in places. All Lulu has, as for good music, is the first 4 minutes of Junior Dad (which are exactly the same as the next 15 minutes of Junior Dad).
22.10.2011 - 13:16
JD
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 22.10.2011 at 07:53

Written by Guest on 20.10.2011 at 00:10

Both albums suck. I can't decide which pile of feces I'd rather consume.

Well I made it clear in the first post to avoid spamming(you know, we are talking about Metallica here, everyone is going to spam fans, haters, posers..). Anyway I reported your post to the staff Doc, any problem?
22.10.2011 - 14:48
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Quote:
You wish.

Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.10.2011 at 02:06
Metallica fanboy denial.

Actually guys... He's right. Technically speaking this is NOT a Metallica album, you should at least admit that. A piece of shit? Sure, but it ain't a real Metllica album because it's a COLLABORATION between two artist. Just the same way the album "Altar" isn't a Sunn O))) album or a Boris Album.

Written by Guest on 22.10.2011 at 13:16

Anyway I reported your post to the staff Doc, any problem?

Can't tell if you are serious or not because that is ridiculous
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.10.2011 - 14:57
Slayer666

You compare two of the greatest releases of all times and expect me to choose?

You sir, are completely insane. I hope you'll realize how perfect both are in their own way, and ditch this silly need to compare.
22.10.2011 - 15:14
JD
Account deleted
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.10.2011 at 14:48

Can't tell if you are serious or not because that is ridiculous

Of course I'm not serious, but damn, you ruined it, I was waiting to see his reaction