Metal Storm logo
St. Anger VS Lulu

Original post

Posted by , 20.10.2011 - 00:10
Please no comments like both albums sucks, and Metallica sucks etc.. If you don't like both albums just go away.

I really want to know the results of this poll, since these two albums are the least favorite Metallica's albums, for most of the people. For me I just listened to Lulu and I found it boring, there is some cool parts on the album like in the "Cheat On Me" song, but in general it's not as good as St. Anger which has some catchy riffs and some really good songs on it, my vote goes to St. Anger. So which album do you think it's a bit better?

Poll

Which album you think it's better?

St. Anger
Lulu

Total votes: 86
22.10.2011 - 15:51
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Guest on 22.10.2011 at 15:14

Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.10.2011 at 14:48

Can't tell if you are serious or not because that is ridiculous

Of course I'm not serious, but damn, you ruined it, I was waiting to see his reaction

Well, we can call it an even then... You ruined it for me too!
I actually wanted you to be serious so I could laugh my ass off and totally mock you for it.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
22.10.2011 - 21:37
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by X-Ray Rod on 22.10.2011 at 14:48
Actually guys... He's right. Technically speaking this is NOT a Metallica album

I won't admit that because it is a Metallica album. Not purely, not 100% in the sense that Metallica released this as a direct follow-up to ... whatever the fuck their last album was called ... in their discography, but it is a Metallica album in the sense that all band members contributed directly to everything but the lyrics. It's got the Metallica name attached to it, they still fuck around with their instruments the same way they did in the '90s, and Hetfield still croons into the mic like an idiot. The only difference is that Lou Reed also "contributes" his "vocals" and wrote a bunch of metaphorical nonsense.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.10.2011 - 22:48
Valentin B
Iconoclast
Imo the sensible thing to do was for the guys at Metallica to disociate themselves completely from this album, and not allow in any way for it to be advertised as "Metallica and Lou Reed" because people would be expecting different things. If they just would have said that this is NOT a Metallica album (and not advertise it as Metallica + Lou Reed just for the money) people would be way less angry now.
22.10.2011 - 23:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Valentin B on 22.10.2011 at 22:48
If they just would have said that this is NOT a Metallica album (and not advertise it as Metallica + Lou Reed just for the money) people would be way less angry now.

But Lou Reed fans might still be upset.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.10.2011 - 23:32
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Slayer666 on 22.10.2011 at 14:57

You compare two of the greatest releases of all times and expect me to choose?

You sir, are completely insane. I hope you'll realize how perfect both are in their own way, and ditch this silly need to compare.

You're funny man
... Well I hope you are
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
22.10.2011 - 23:34
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Guib on 22.10.2011 at 23:32
... Well I hope you are

S36 never jokes around.
----
22.10.2011 - 23:37
Guib
Thrash Talker
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.10.2011 at 23:34

Written by Guib on 22.10.2011 at 23:32
... Well I hope you are

S36 never jokes around.

Then he's an idiot lol but who cares
----
- Headbanging with mostly clogged arteries to that stuff -
Guib's List Of Essential Albums
- Also Thrash Paradise
Thrash Here
23.10.2011 - 01:50
Angelic Storm
Melodious
Written by Valentin B on 22.10.2011 at 22:48
If they just would have said that this is NOT a Metallica album (and not advertise it as Metallica + Lou Reed just for the money) people would be way less angry now.

Well, Kirk did state in an interview months before the album's release that it wasn't a "100% Metallica record", that it was a "recording project". So clearly the band themselves never viewed the album as the follow up to "Death Magnetic" and a "true" Metallica album. I don't think it was advertised as "Metallica/Lou Reed" just for the money, and if it was, Lou Reed probably stood a lot more to gain from the Metallica association than the other way around. I never viewed the album as an actual Metallica album, because if the band don't view it as one, why should I or anyone else? I agree though that they should have distanced themselves with the title of the project. Maybe "Lou Reed (Featuring Metallica)", as that way, it would seem merely as if Metallica was guesting on a Lou Reed album, which probably wouldnt have seemed as bad to most people.

In any case, the project was misguided, and Metallica should never have been a part of it. But ah well... I guess though it has the added bonus for them that "St. Anger" seems to have been elevated in most people's opinions due to "Lulu", so every cloud, and all that... hehe
23.10.2011 - 11:17
Slayer666

Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.10.2011 at 23:34

S36 never jokes around.

As a dedicated black metal warrior, this petty concept of "joking around" is completely beneath me.

Written by Guib on 22.10.2011 at 23:37

Then he's an idiot lol but who cares

Yo' momma.

23.10.2011 - 11:58
JD
Account deleted
Written by Slayer666 on 23.10.2011 at 11:17

As a dedicated black metal warrior, this petty concept of "joking around" is completely beneath me.

Cradle Of Filth must be happy now.

23.10.2011 - 13:54
X-Ray Rod
Skandino
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.10.2011 at 21:37

Not purely, not 100% in the sense that Metallica released this as a direct follow-up to ... whatever the fuck their last album was called ... in their discography.

That's actually all I meant by my post which is an objective point of view. It doesn't represent Metallica's discography in any way because it is a colaboration. Of course that it is "a Metallica album" because all the members worked on it and that they still can get tons of shit (which they deserve) for making this album.... But that''s quite another thing different from what my point was in the first place.

About the album, I heard it on friday in its entirety and I didn't find it that awful and insultning, not worse than The Browning that's for sure.
There were some quiet moments (when no one was singing) that I found quite good and calm. Everything that was "heavy" was either meh or just plain bad with the "singers". I don't really know what number it should deserve there are some good enough moments that would be 5-worthy but some moments are just plain 3. So probably around 4 in my case.
----
Written by BloodTears on 19.08.2011 at 18:29
Like you could kiss my ass
Written by Milena on 20.06.2012 at 10:49
Rod, let me love you.
23.10.2011 - 20:06
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.10.2011 at 07:01

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 21.10.2011 at 06:56
I think musically!!!

I just don't understand what you mean by saying it's obnoxiously interesting.

it's horrifyingly attractive?

Exactly!!
29.10.2011 - 21:29
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
Maybe Lou Reed is doing the same thing so neither of them have to take full responsibility for this shit?
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
29.10.2011 - 22:24
JD
Account deleted
Written by Doc G. on 29.10.2011 at 21:29

Maybe Lou Reed is doing the same thing so neither of them have to take full responsibility for this shit?

I'm wondering if non-metaller would enjoy this album...
30.10.2011 - 04:11
Boxcar Willy
yr a kook
They both suck, and metallica sucks (trolololololololololololololololo)
----
14:22 - Marcel Hubregtse
I do your mum

DESTROY DRUM TRIGGERS
17.11.2011 - 22:11
HeavyMetalBullet

It was almost painful to have to click on St Anger as I really didn't like that album but not as painful as it was to listen to Lulu! Points for Experimentation in music but loses more for an epic fail!
----
Heavy Metal Bullet
Blog for New Metal Bands and Album/Gig Reviews
http://heavymetalbullet.blogspot.com/
23.11.2011 - 15:06
ThatMetalRAdio

I just listened to lulu album. Man that thing is a disaster, worst thing ever happened to Metallica is lulu. Everything sucks, specialy vokal works.
23.11.2011 - 15:17
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
I want a new poll for worst album of all time, which would also include Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music and Bakteria's debut. Now that would make for an epic poll.
23.11.2011 - 16:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.11.2011 at 15:17

I want a new poll for worst album of all time, which would also include Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music and Bakteria's debut. Now that would make for an epic poll.

Except Metal Machine Music would have a pretty large modern day critical fanbase on its side. It would receive a bashing on here because people don't like noise, not because it's a bad album. Which it isn't, it's a very important album actually.
23.11.2011 - 16:56
Marcel Hubregtse
Grumpy Old Fuck
Written by Guest on 23.11.2011 at 16:27

Except Metal Machine Music would have a pretty large modern day critical fanbase on its side. It would receive a bashing on here because people don't like noise, not because it's a bad album. Which it isn't, it's a very important album actually.

never heard the album so I can't judge of it's good or not. But it being an important album doesn't make it necessarily any good. Just look at the Hellhammer release immensely important for extreme metal but extremely crap as well.
----
Member of the true crusade against European Flower Metal

Yesterday is dead and gone, tomorrow is out of sight
Dawn Crosby (r.i.p.)
05.04.1963 - 15.12.1996

23.11.2011 - 16:59
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Marcel Hubregtse on 23.11.2011 at 16:56

never heard the album so I can't judge of it's good or not. But it being an important album doesn't make it necessarily any good. Just look at the Hellhammer release immensely important for extreme metal but extremely crap as well.

As a noise album for its time it's quite good indeed, compared to more modern day variants it lacks a bit of layering. I've heard worse noise though and I find it quite soothing, much like the power electronics side projects of Skullflower's frontman.

You are correct, but something that's important could never be fodder for a "worst album of all time" poll for the simple fact its importance renders it positive in that aspect.
23.11.2011 - 18:21
Ag Fox
Angel No More
I do wonder what do fans of Lou Reed think of this collab =P I would think their reaction is similar to majority of the opinion here
----
loves 小巫
23.11.2011 - 19:07
Metal_4Ever

Huh? LuLu 8?
23.11.2011 - 20:48
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.11.2011 at 16:27

I am not familiar with noise music, but on the topic of MMM I will side with Lou Reed, who apparently didn't think getting to side 4 was worth it. Though I would correct that to side 1. I also agree with Marcel that important and influential music isn't necessarily good music. I'll take any unknown and obscure band that doesn't butcher my ears over influential garbage.
23.11.2011 - 20:51
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.11.2011 at 20:48

I am not familiar with noise music

That's really all you needed to say.
23.11.2011 - 21:04
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Written by Ag Fox on 23.11.2011 at 18:21
I do wonder what do fans of Lou Reed think of this collab =P I would think their reaction is similar to majority of the opinion here

I have a lesbian feminist friend who absolutely loves Lou Reed.

And absolutely hates Lulu.
----
23.11.2011 - 21:48
ErnilEnNaur
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.11.2011 at 20:51

That's really all you needed to say.

Nope, I also REALLY needed to give Lou Reed's own opinion on the work, because we all know how much credibility he has on this site.
26.11.2011 - 12:14
Metal_4Ever

Written by Guest on 20.10.2011 at 13:43

I haven't listened to lulu, I don't have st. anger; I'll just move along

Well, here's a friend with your journey..
27.11.2011 - 20:17
arwestromen

Haven't listen to lulu, havent listen to S:t anger, just likes to read about self proclaimed experts whine about stuff....:devil:
----
Don't fuck with sweden
We gave you IKEA
27.11.2011 - 20:42
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Who here proclaimed to be an expert? We're all in the same boat here... Just users with an opinion.
----