02. Loke
03. Fenris
04. Svarte Vidder
05. Yggdrasil
06. Jotunblod
07. Gylfaginning
08. Wotan
09. Isöders Dronning

Back in the early 90s, the Norwegian black metal scene was running crazy. New bands forming everyday, genre landmarks being released, musicians killing each other, let alone the misanthropic view of life and the satanic beliefs and rituals. However, not all bands took this easy path. Some bands, like Enslaved, decided that black metal is not always raw-sounding guitars and satanic lyrics, and that it might be melodic and highly atmospheric at the same time. Frost is an album that proves this.

Even though Bathory are considered the undisputed creators of viking/black metal, Enslaved's early works played a big role in widening the genre and Frost is a clear representative of the viking vibe. For example, some guitar riffs appear in harsh, dissonant and also melodic varieties plus some good leads are present throughout the album. The guitars get the job done and intertwine well with the thunderous drums. The blast beats are quite decent but nothing unheard before. However, the instrument that does the most outstanding work is the bass. Black metal isn't the best genre concerning the bass but on Frost it might be. The bass is ever-present, providing a galloping sensation to the whole instrumentation, eventually topped by Grutle's vocals that possess a wide range and good quality in both harsh and clean singing. Grutle's voice indeed is the cherry on top of this cake.

Good songwriting gets better with good performance, and this is an obvious fact on Enslaved's Frost. Not a single instrument fails in delivering an outstanding performance. The album also includes some acoustic passages and viking-like chants. which add a lot to the atmosphere, as do the lyrics. Although written in Norwegian, it's not difficult to guess the what songs "Loke", "Fenris" and "Yggdrasil" are about. Back in 1994, this type of lyrics and music must have been original to some extent. Viking metal wasn't that popular and common at that time, and gives the Frost a slab of originality. The production isn't too raw and muddy, but still not crystal clear. Nevertheless, it suits the music very well and manages to create an effective atmosphere. Personally, I consider the production on Frost excellent, as it preserves the raw sound without destroying the riffs in process.

However, even without any specific weakness, Frost is not a flawless album. The slight dominance of dissonant riffs may weaken the album for those who are not fans of dissonance. Nevertheless, Frost is a strong and solid album in all fields and aspects. So if you're a fan of black or viking metal, Frost is a must for you. Go ahead, pick it up and enjoy the mighty viking-vibe this great album offers, and even though it differs a lot from the new Enslaved sound, it's on par with it. After all, this is where the mighty Frost Beast got his name.

Rating breakdown
Performance: 10
Songwriting: 9
Originality: 10
Production: 9

Written by Account deleted | 20.10.2011

Guest review disclaimer:
This is a guest review, which means it does not necessarily represent the point of view of the MS Staff.

Comments

Comments: 31   Visited by: 228 users
20.10.2011 - 23:43
Lokaeda
Account deleted
"Frost is a clear representative of the viking vibe" In my opinion this album just opens the gate, Eld and Blodhemn being more representative.

I find this album very good, though I find the songs to be a little too much similar (to some extend) in the end
21.10.2011 - 00:09
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 20.10.2011 at 23:43

"Frost is a clear representative of the viking vibe" In my opinion this album just opens the gate, Eld and Blodhemn being more representative.

I find this album very good, though I find the songs to be a little too much similar (to some extend) in the end

I agree to a certain extent about the slight repetitiveness of the songs.
21.10.2011 - 01:30
Rating: 8
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
"the mighty frost beast"... oh fucking please. get over yourself.
----
get the fuck off my lawn.

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.10.2011 - 04:27
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Written by BitterCOld on 21.10.2011 at 01:30

21.10.2011 - 05:32
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
I don't think in 1994 new black metal bands were being formed everyday. Mind you, there were a lot of black metal bands in existence, but not to the extent we see nowadays where every country has its own well-known black metal scene. Back in the '90s it was predominantly Norway and Sweden.

And there were actually a few bands delving into the melodic and atmospheric side of black metal already: Burzum, Dissection, Sacramentum, Emperor, Summoning, Ulver, Vinterland, Samael...

As for the review...while both of us are young and neither experienced what it was like to be a part of the movement, jumping from "blast beats that aren't anything unheard of" [at the time] and "the lyrics and music must have been original to some extent" [at the time] just remind the reader of your youth.

If you're going to try your hand at reviewing another black metal classic, my advice would be to leave your research out of the review and stick to describing the music. I made the mistake of giving a history lesson in one of my reviews and let me tell you the audience pays the ultimate price: boredom.

That being said, I think this is a big step up from your Immortal review.
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
21.10.2011 - 06:20
Auntie Sahar
Drone Empress
Elite
Well written review, I definitely agree that this album was innovative for its time.
----
I am the Magician and the Exorcist. I am the axle of the wheel, and the cube in the circle. “Come unto me” is a foolish word: for it is I that go.

~ II. VII
21.10.2011 - 09:25
Rating: 9
Daniell
_爱情_
Elite
This review would be better without your shameless self aggrandizing...
21.10.2011 - 12:15
fredd
Account deleted
Biased and mediocre.. Sorry, Beasty, don't take it personally but this isn't a good review.
21.10.2011 - 15:24
Frost Beast
Account deleted

I remembered you when I wrote it!
But then I also remembered that you were a forum moderator, and not a review proofreader!!

Written by Auntie Sahar on 21.10.2011 at 06:20

Well written review, I definitely agree that this album was innovative for its time.

Thanks!
Written by Troy Killjoy on 21.10.2011 at 05:32

I don't think in 1994 new black metal bands were being formed everyday. Mind you, there were a lot of black metal bands in existence, but not to the extent we see nowadays where every country has its own well-known black metal scene. Back in the '90s it was predominantly Norway and Sweden.

And there were actually a few bands delving into the melodic and atmospheric side of black metal already: Burzum, Dissection, Sacramentum, Emperor, Summoning, Ulver, Vinterland, Samael...

As for the review...while both of us are young and neither experienced what it was like to be a part of the movement, jumping from "blast beats that aren't anything unheard of" [at the time] and "the lyrics and music must have been original to some extent" [at the time] just remind the reader of your youth.

If you're going to try your hand at reviewing another black metal classic, my advice would be to leave your research out of the review and stick to describing the music. I made the mistake of giving a history lesson in one of my reviews and let me tell you the audience pays the ultimate price: boredom.

That being said, I think this is a big step up from your Immortal review.

I'll take your suggestions for becoming a better reviewer, thanks.

Written by Daniell on 21.10.2011 at 09:25

This review would be better without your shameless self aggrandizing...

I thought it was a "Bestial" way of ending the review, and it's not meant to be taken seriously. I, myself, am not even meant to.
Written by Guest on 21.10.2011 at 12:15

Biased and mediocre.. Sorry, Beasty, don't take it personally but this isn't a good review.

Maybe, I wrote it in 20-30 minutes...
21.10.2011 - 19:37
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Written by Guest on 21.10.2011 at 15:24

But then I also remembered that you were a forum moderator, and not a review proofreader!!

actually i do proof reviews as well. i'll be sure to have Lyrinan pass all your future reviews my way.

----

Beer Bug Virus Spotify Playlist crafted by Nikarg and I. Feel free to tune in and add some pertinent metal tunes!
21.10.2011 - 23:24
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 21.10.2011 at 19:37

actually i do proof reviews as well. i'll be sure to have Lyrinan pass all your future reviews my way.

...it seems I won't be getting anymore community points for reviews.
22.10.2011 - 00:00
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Reviews are fine. i just think the attention whore game you have going on is pathetic.
----

22.10.2011 - 00:17
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by BitterCOld on 22.10.2011 at 00:00

Reviews are fine. i just think the attention whore game you have going on is pathetic.

It's a joke. And it's not meant to be taken seriously. I like attention, as I don't really get it that much in real life...
22.10.2011 - 00:19
Winterthrone
Your review is not bad...But not flawless... I think you have a certain talent for reviewing, but you should really stop your ego-worshipping thing before it becomes an habit...;)
22.10.2011 - 00:22
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by Winterthrone on 22.10.2011 at 00:19

Your review is not bad...But not flawless... I think you have a certain talent for reviewing, but you should really stop your ego-worshipping thing before it becomes an habit...;)

Thanks... the ego worshiping was not meant to be taken seriously..
22.10.2011 - 05:30
Mindheist
No Longer Human
Guys, I think you came off a little harsh, don't you? The skill in writing reviews comes with time. Besides, I think it's a pretty decent review. I bet back when you were all 15, writing a similar review would be beyond the bounds of possiblity; I know I couldn't have done it. His English is very good for a 15-year old reviewer and let's not forget that he's from Syria and English is his third language (if i'm not mistaken). The kid has what it takes to become a great reviewer that's undeniable, and I'm sure with a little perseverance he'll become one of the best reviewers around.

Nice review kid, don't mind them, they are just trying to help you . Let it not be your last one .

EDIT: I don't know if you already knew this but you're definitely one of the most popular members on MS. They love ya .
22.10.2011 - 07:46
BitterCOld
The Ancient One
Admin
Yeah, because popularity with the SB squad equals respected user with valid opinions, amirite?

the critique has nothing to do with language and everything to do with attitude. so long as the "arrogant" (his words) attention whore insists on self-aggrandizement, his role is nothing more than that of a clown. the comments above reflect that.
----

22.10.2011 - 08:07
R'Vannith
ghedengi
Elite
What's wrong with this review? Beside the last sentence I can't really see that much which comes of as arrogant. Besides I'd rather read an arrogant review than one that doesn't really describe the music effectively. As I haven't heard the album I can't say whether it does this but it seems as if it does.

And like Dark Legacy said, your English for a Syrian 15 yr old is impressive.
22.10.2011 - 08:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by R'Vannith on 22.10.2011 at 08:07

All things considered, it's a better review than some you read online.

Although the last sentence is a bit of a blemish, it's not that big a deal to me. I think most people who point it out are just annoyed with Beasty's behavior in the forum. :/
----
"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools because they have to say something."
22.10.2011 - 14:48
fredd
Account deleted

That being said, you have the talent, try reviewing random albums and you'll get the hang of it in no time.

And don't let anybody get at you, especially BitterC0ld, he's just jelly.

And, if you can, delete the last sentence of this review.
22.10.2011 - 21:27
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by Mindheist on 22.10.2011 at 05:30

Guys, I think you came off a little harsh, don't you? The skill in writing reviews comes with time. Besides, I think it's a pretty decent review. I bet back when you were all 15, writing a similar review would be beyond the bounds of possiblity; I know I couldn't have done it. His English is very good for a 15-year old reviewer and let's not forget that he's from Syria and English is his third language (if i'm not mistaken). The kid has what it takes to become a great reviewer that's undeniable, and I'm sure with a little perseverance he'll become one of the best reviewers around.

Nice review kid, don't mind them, they are just trying to help you . Let it not be your last one .

EDIT: I don't know if you already knew this but you're definitely one of the most popular members on MS. They love ya .

Thanks, blood brother.
And BTW English's my second language, but in that's in Syria so...
Thanks again.

Written by R'Vannith on 22.10.2011 at 08:07

What's wrong with this review? Beside the last sentence I can't really see that much which comes of as arrogant. Besides I'd rather read an arrogant review than one that doesn't really describe the music effectively. As I haven't heard the album I can't say whether it does this but it seems as if it does.

Thanks!
Written by Troy Killjoy on 22.10.2011 at 08:10

Beasty's behavior in the forum. :/

Is it that annoying?
Written by Guest on 22.10.2011 at 14:48

That being said, you have the talent, try reviewing random albums and you'll get the hang of it in no time.

And don't let anybody get at you, especially BitterC0ld, he's just jelly.

And, if you can, delete the last sentence of this review.

I respect BitterCOld a lot. He's a good moderator, and although he might be harsh, he's only doing his job.
23.10.2011 - 21:29
fredd
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 22.10.2011 at 21:27

I respect BitterCOld a lot. He's a good moderator, and although he might be harsh, he's only doing his job.

I don't want to get banned either.
25.10.2011 - 19:34
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 23.10.2011 at 21:29

Written by Guest on 22.10.2011 at 21:27

I don't want to get banned either.

That was funny!
But I really meant what I said.
27.10.2011 - 21:13
Vikingr
Nice review bro I'm impressed that it was a good as it was, seeing as how your only fifteen, very impressive Keep righting reviews, keep improving and perhaps you'll win over BitterCOld too
27.10.2011 - 21:41
Frost Beast
Account deleted
Written by Vikingr on 27.10.2011 at 21:13

Nice review bro I'm impressed that it was a good as it was, seeing as how your only fifteen, very impressive Keep righting reviews, keep improving and perhaps you'll win over BitterCOld too

Thanks a lot!
15.12.2011 - 09:01
Grody2themax
Quote:

After all, this is where the mighty Frost Beast got his name.

LOL at everyone taking that last line so serious. It was so lame it was hilarious, and I think that was the point.
15.12.2011 - 09:06
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Grody2themax on 15.12.2011 at 09:01
...it was hilarious, and I think that was the point.

Trust me, if you watched him in the forums you'd know he's not the type to be taken humorously. He was incredibly serious with his online persona (or at least whichever persona he went with that day).
----
15.12.2011 - 09:09
Grody2themax
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 09:06

Written by Grody2themax on 15.12.2011 at 09:01
...it was hilarious, and I think that was the point.

Trust me, if you watched him in the forums you'd know he's not the type to be taken humorously. He was incredibly serious with his online persona (or at least whichever persona he went with that day).

That makes it all the more funny then hahaha
15.12.2011 - 09:10
Troy Killjoy
perfunctionist
Staff
Written by Grody2themax on 15.12.2011 at 09:09

In a sad kind of way, sure.
----
25.08.2012 - 02:32
Oaken
Hipster
Written by Troy Killjoy on 15.12.2011 at 09:10

Written by Grody2themax on 15.12.2011 at 09:09

In a sad kind of way, sure.

Sad but true...
----
In that case, man is only air as well.

Hits total: 7264 | This month: 21