Metal Storm logo
Discuss Dark Souls

Original post

Posted by Guib, 22.10.2011 - 23:24
So lately I've been playing Dark Souls, the recent follow up of Demon's Souls. Don't know if you guys played this one but hell its hard, harder than Demon that is.
Anyways, for those who don't know the game, its a third person RPG where you are left on your own, with not much hope and a huge variety of deadly creatures. Lets just say that... YOU WILL DIE. No matter how good you think you are, you'll die impaled, burned, crushed, sliced, poisoned, cursed, falling down endless holes, decapitated (and more). Basically you can build your character the way you like, you can use Magic, Melee weapons, Shields, Ranged weapons and a great variety of items for people who like long investment games, this is one of them.

So that said, I've been trying to kill the Moonlight Butterfly.. after dealing with the gargoyles on the church I was wondering if anyone could give me some hints on defeating that flying piece of shit cos I've been trying again and again, can't seem to do much against it ... lol

Discuss !!!
06.05.2014 - 05:41
whatsacow

Written by Jaeryd on 06.05.2014 at 04:48

Written by whatsacow on 06.05.2014 at 03:18

Thank you! I agree, this will probably be my game of the year, but it doesn't have anything on Dark Souls or Demon's Souls. Have you played the original? Also, rumour has it, Demon's Souls is getting a sequel, and Miyazaki may be directing

Sadly, I've never played Demon's Souls, since I don't own a PS3. But, ever since completing the first Dark Souls for the first time, I've been considering purchasing a PS3 solely for that game. While it would be great if they made another Demon's Souls, I'd probably not be purchasing a PS4 and therefore wouldn't get the chance to play it (I'm trying to do most of my gaming on PC nowadays, as it's actually working out to be cheaper for me while still being more powerful than consoles).

Yes, I am primarily a PC gamer these days as well, but if Demon's Souls 2 comes out you bet your ass I'll buy a ps4
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
07.05.2014 - 01:10
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
Started playing Dark Souls 2 a few weeks ago. Great game of course! I mash on the enemy with the sword shield combo and have based my level ups on that mostly, but my Character has 20 in faith and 4 attunment slots for Pyromancey and miracles for utility. It seems effective. I run light armor always as I don't see tanking being a viable thing in the Dark Souls Dos and rolling agility must not be hindered! I haven't been hitting the game too hard as my schedules pretty full and there's no such thing as playing an hour of dark Souls

Beat the last Giant on my first try but he really seemed like a bitch. The Pursuer was a fun problem but overall was not that bad to fight. The Ruin Sentries were a pain in the ass but with a video guide I beat them solo as well. Two bosses I was impatient about (The Rotten and the Scorpioness) and summoned the local NPCs to help me which made those battles very, very easy. NG+ is suppost to be awesome so I get there meow! Stopped before the Duke's Dear Freya though and I haven't touched it in a week. Gonna hit that hard soon I feel.
----
Coldgrits
23.05.2014 - 00:06
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Excellent video review of Dark Souls 2 (Zero Punctuation is always hilarious), and describes how I feel about the game.

Here's the link to the actual Escapist Magazine site for Zero Punctuation,

And here's the youtube video:

It's funny, because the first time he tried to review the first Dark Souls, he decided he hated it. Then he went back and played it again and fell in love with it. His review of the first one is also great.
----
23.05.2014 - 03:41
-DC-002-
Mastercommander
@Dima. That's hilarious! I'm surprised he didn't question the one enemy that was just posted there the whole time. I would have attacked it eventually or right off the bat.
----
Coldgrits
23.05.2014 - 13:49
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
I think Dark Souls II has genuinely made Dark Souls I a bit unplayable. It's so hard to adjust to the controls now. Not being able to roll freely while locked on, as well as the stilted animations is probably going to be something I'll have to re-learn how to deal with.
01.09.2014 - 18:02
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Fume Knight boss on the 'Crown of the Old Iron King' Dark Souls DLC... seriously absurdly hard. Not sure how many tries it'll be before I beat him but it's going to be a lot.
02.09.2014 - 11:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 02.09.2014 at 03:53

Are you just lacking damage output or are his attacks giving you trouble?

In this case both really. He has a considerable amount of HP (14,000 or so apparently), but his attacks and speed are an issue the like I've not come across yet. Dunno if you seen him so I'll warn of spoilers now

He uses a straight sword in one hand and an ultra greatsword in the other, so he swings fast multiple times, which is actually quite difficult to dodge, and also combined with delayed and very slow swings with the ultra greatsword which often catches me off guard. Problem is it's so fucking slow that even rolling at the right time doesn't help as you recover inside his sword swing! Guess I'll need to learn to roll the right way. Another issue is that he seems to start new flurries of attacks almost instantly so healing is an issue. To make matters worse he starts a whole new stage of attacks when his HP gets to 50% where he imbues his greatsword with fire and has a bunch of other attacks which I haven't figured about yet.

To be fair at the time of fighting him I hadn't even been to Drangleic Castle yet so the best weapon I had was a maxed out raw Santiers Spear so was doing fairly pitiful damage. It's the first DLC boss I've encountered too. Have been exploring them randomly just to gather items. I tried fighting Fume Knight about 6 times before I realised I wasn't ready. I've just maxed out a Sun Sword with 40 / 40 strength and dex and seems fairly devastating, especially when imbued with Flame Weapon. I might try again when I've got a Curved Dragon Greatsword. Man I love that weapon

But yeah, probably the hardest boss I've fought in the Souls series, with the exception of the Ancient Dragon. Because he has so much HP it's just a case of having to do a long winded fight without making any mistakes.
02.09.2014 - 12:48
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Ancient Dragon can be exploited / cheesed though by standing by its back legs. I'm wondering if Fume Knight has a similar cheesing tactic....
04.09.2014 - 02:54
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Beat the Fucker Fume Knight, and now I own his ultra greatsword, which isn't as special as I was hoping. Lightning buffed Curved Dragon Greatsword it was in the end and dodging like a mother fudger. Probably the purest, most "Dark Souls" boss in the entire series I would say.

[EDIT]

Just managed to beat the Nashandra clone and the dragon on the first DLC. Only took one go each. The dragon one, Sinh I thnk, was quite cool. Good to see a super agile dragon.

[EDIT]

Ok, the trio of NPCs is pretty hard. Managed to get one and halved the HP of the other two. Will try again tomorrow.
04.09.2014 - 16:13
whatsacow

Written by Guest on 04.09.2014 at 02:54

Beat the Fucker Fume Knight, and now I own his ultra greatsword, which isn't as special as I was hoping. Lightning buffed Curved Dragon Greatsword it was in the end and dodging like a mother fudger. Probably the purest, most "Dark Souls" boss in the entire series I would say.

[EDIT]

Just managed to beat the Nashandra clone and the dragon on the first DLC. Only took one go each. The dragon one, Sinh I thnk, was quite cool. Good to see a super agile dragon.

[EDIT]

Ok, the trio of NPCs is pretty hard. Managed to get one and halved the HP of the other two. Will try again tomorrow.

I kind of gave up on that last boss. It just wasn't fun.
----
When God made up the golden rule, do you think he noticed that it condones rape?
04.09.2014 - 19:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by whatsacow on 04.09.2014 at 16:13

I kind of gave up on that last boss. It just wasn't fun.

The trio? I managed it on my second go. The key is to go for the archer first which gives you breathing space, then repeatedly fall down into the little pool bit and head straight up the ramp, which slows them down, then time your attacks on the ninja type one, and then I just threw loads of hexes at the big bastard who for some reason just hovered around near the ramp but and took all my spells without doing anything. Tense battle.

[EDIT]

Phew, beat Sir Alonne. Definitely not in the same realm as Fume Knight, despite what a lot of people say, but still challenging. Fast mother funker, barely gives you time to heal. Initially went in with a great shield like I saw someone mention was the best tactic but that didn't really work so went back to rolling. Got him on the fourth try. I find keeping him at a distance is best as it forces him to either jump or lunge at you, which is easier to avoid than regular swipe attacks and leaves him open for a moment. Staying close just keeps you exposed to his energy stab attack which goes through your shield and seems to cause him to power up and become deadlier. Now I have Alonne's sword and it's rather nice.

Well that's both DLCs then. Second one was the better, even if Smelter Demon was basically a rehash and quite easy. Roll on the last one which looks snowy.
22.09.2014 - 20:16
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Definitely looks promising. Here's a 30 minute gameplay video (though it's mostly of the same bit as the players are a bit shit and die a lot).

Looks like that whole health re-fill thing only works when you've just been hit; you seem to get a few seconds before the health is taken off you and you can reclaim some back by attacking. Looks like you can die from 2 or 3 hits too. Looks like the parrying works by using the gun the moment you get attacked, which is interesting. Covers up for the lack of shield in that regard. I'm also glad to see multiple weapon types too. That giant hammer / slab-on-stick thing looks weighty.

I also love how much blood there is and that your character can get caked in it. Also ragdolling dead bodies seems to be back with a vengeance
30.09.2014 - 17:46
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Damn, Frigid Outskirts. New most punishing area of a Souls game.
30.09.2014 - 21:00
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Finished the DLC. Fairly sure I got everything. Definitely the best looking, best designed and perhaps the biggest of the three DLCs. The bosses were a bit ho-hum - two of them are reskins of each other basically and the difficulty of them all is probably the easiest of the three (providing you get all the knights for the main boss). The way the final boss enters the fight is badass though.
07.10.2014 - 00:10
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Managed to get the 60fps function to work on Dark Souls 1 again so did another playthrough, this time like I play Dark Souls 2 i.e. no relying on shield (aside from some magic lobbing enemies) and anything other than light armour. Rolling to win basically. It's a bit hard without the reliable lock-on rolling mechanics but I got used to it and found the game much more satisfying than tanking. You haven't really played the game until you've taken on Artorias by two-handing a Butcher Knife. The last chunk of the game I basically ended up cosplaying Lord's Blade Ciaran with her stupidly sexy armour set and awesome Gold Tracer weapon (and the Dragon Crest shield coz it's the prettiest). Dark Souls 2 sorely needed that ring that lets you do cartwheels instead of rolls. Much fun and usefulness.

Bed of Chaos is still the cheapest and worst boss in any Souls game though.
05.12.2014 - 02:27
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 22.09.2014 at 20:16

Definitely looks promising.

I'm so upset that this is only coming out for PS4. I want a PC version, dammit.
----
05.12.2014 - 02:31
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 05.12.2014 at 02:27

I'm so upset that this is only coming out for PS4. I want a PC version, dammit.

I agree, it's pretty annoying. The fact Demon's Souls never came out for anything else aside from the PS3 pretty much solidifies the fact this is going to be a PS4 only thing. I guess I'll wait a whole bunch of years till the PS4 gets really cheap, like I did with the PS3.
05.12.2014 - 10:33
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 05.12.2014 at 07:04

My cousin has a PS4. I might buy it for him just so I can play it. 100% guaranteed he won't like it. Does that make me a bad person?

You're basically Patches.
05.12.2014 - 23:22
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 05.12.2014 at 02:31

I guess I'll wait a whole bunch of years till the PS4 gets really cheap, like I did with the PS3.

Yeah, I finally bought a used PS3 a few months ago for Demon's Souls. It's going to be ages before I ever get a PS4 to play Bloodborne.
----
05.12.2014 - 23:28
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Jaeryd on 05.12.2014 at 23:22

Yeah, I finally bought a used PS3 a few months ago for Demon's Souls. It's going to be ages before I ever get a PS4 to play Bloodborne.

Quite a few nice exclusives for the PS3 so it's definitely worth owning at this point. I'll probably be happy until the PS4 gets a nice collection of games together then grab it cheaper down the line.
06.12.2014 - 00:03
Jaeryd
Nihil's Maw
Written by Guest on 05.12.2014 at 23:28

Quite a few nice exclusives for the PS3 so it's definitely worth owning at this point. I'll probably be happy until the PS4 gets a nice collection of games together then grab it cheaper down the line.

To be honest, while I'm interested in things like Heavy Rain, the Last of Us, Beyond Two Souls, etc., the only thing I'll probably ever end up having time to play on it is Demon's Souls... so it was probably barely worth my money. I don't have too much time to play games these days, and I already have backlog of a bunch of steam games to work through before I get to any other PS3 games.
----
07.12.2014 - 03:56
Darth Satanious
Post Destroyer
Shortly after buying Demon Souls my PS3 saw a yellow death so that is as much close as I got to the series. Bloodborne looks awesome.
----
Christless
29.10.2015 - 18:03
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 29.10.2015 at 17:08

My gosh I just discovered a farming run in Dark Souls 1 that grants you 10k souls in <25 seconds. Just wanted to throw that out there.

Is that the getting-the-enemies-in-the-Royal-Wood-to-fall-off-the-cliff trick?
29.10.2015 - 18:21
Zap
For a second I thought the video-game thread changed names. 7 pages of just Dark Souls? Gonna read through that some time.
30.10.2015 - 10:27
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.10.2015 at 02:24

Nah this is MUCH more efficient It's the pink phalanx guys in Painted World. Very popular spot but this particular method was never mentioned to me nor did it have many youtube hits when I looked it up after. Lotta people use Great Chaos Fireball or Firestom but I've found that Wrath of the Gods is much quicker because the animation is much shorter. 2x WotG (1 if you get lucky), then homeward bone miracle out. 3 second loading screen because juicy SSD. Rinse and repeat. I averaged at around 22-23 seconds per run. 7k souls per run, 10k with symbol of avarice and silver serpent ring. Per 10 minutes you get 187k w/o the 2 items and 267k with (if my maths is correct) and as far as i'm aware that's the quickest method in the game.

WotG is also a effective against the Anor Londo archers if you have high poise. WotG may be just a better version of Force but i'm not 100% sure.

Oh yeah that's a good one. If you really want efficiency you can't beat the rolling boss soul / estus flask glitch though, which gives you 8000 - 18000 souls every couple of seconds. Sucks the fun out of it all though.
30.10.2015 - 11:09
!J.O.O.E.!
Account deleted
Written by Guest on 30.10.2015 at 10:47

Hey that's cheating! But ye, I was only doing it to get my faith up to 30 so I could finally use the Darkmoon Blade with Ricard's Rapier. That combo is a boss shredder. Got the game drowned in texture mods. It's all nice and refreshing. I'm sure your 970 can handle it too

Aye, for regular playthroughs I just use the Hellkite dragon / Royal Woods farming spots sparingly then level naturally. The exception is reaching SL120 for optimum PvP activity and balance, so the glitch is useful for that.

And yeah, the texture mods on this are great =3