09. My Majesty
10. In Liebe Und Freundschaft
11. Ungebrochen
12. Shine On
13. Angel In The Dark [bonus]
14. 1999 [bonus]
15. For Love and Friendship [Japanese bonus]
16. Lonely Wolf [Japanese bonus]

The Queen of Heavy Metal is back again! And this new album (the first studio one since 2002 and "Fight") will probably find a lot of success again in Germany and all around the world among her fans. Well I know that a lot of people like Doro, but even if for me she never did outstanding and revolutionary music, she is still with us, and this is probably the best proof of her success. "Warrior Soul" isn't her best release, but I'm sure that it will be pleasant for her fans?

Above all, you must know that "Warrior Soul" is a good but classic album of Hard Rock / Heavy Metal. However if you're looking for some powerful songs a la Warlock, you'll probably be a bit disappointed. Actually, the majority of the compositions are just mid-tempo Heavy Metal songs or ballads. Only "You're My Familly" and "My Majestie" are real "Rock "n" Roll" songs, so in my opinion the album just lack of punch. But I'm not saying that the others songs are bad, at the opposite if you like cool ballads it will be probably for you. At the end, "Warrior Soul" is extremely classic without a lot of surprises but as always, Doro took a bunch of great musicians and it sounds good. No doubt, it's not new but solid as rock?

Note finally that the production is a bit "weird" because it seems that they put during the mixing Doro's voice "in front" of the recording. I mean that sometime, we "only" hear her voice. That's a bit weird and not so common, but is it a good or a bad idea? Well if you like her voice and her "beautiful" German accent, it will be ok, but I know too that some people don't like a lot her vocals so, in that case?

At the end, if you're a fan of the Metal side of the Mrs, you'll probably be a bit disappointed but if you just like Doro and don't mind to have an album full of ballads, then go with it, and you'll be happy with the result. "Warrior Soul" isn't a bad release but I regret its lack of punch, too bad?

Written by Jeff | 27.04.2006

Comments

Comments: 4   Visited by: 62 users
09.10.2006 - 00:54
Fierce Deity

Just got it. And I agree with the reviewer in every single point.
----
03.11.2007 - 06:34
Rating: 9
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
I have to disagree, I love this album, got it recently and cant stop listening to it, the only problem I have is that every song seems to have the same structure to it.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.11.2008 - 11:30
Rating: 9
Doc G.
Full Grown Hoser
In addition to my old post. I definitely agree with your point about the weird production, many of her albums seem to suffer this "vocals in front" issue, which kind of makes it sound like kareoke in a way. But I found "Calling The Wild" probably way worse for this, thats why Doros 1993 Live album is probably her best work IMO.

Im not a big fan of ballads, but the ones in this album I love. The title track really moves me.
----
"I got a lot of really good ideas, problem is, most of them suck."
- George Carlin
17.11.2008 - 22:32
DanielViking

Written by Doc G. on 03.11.2007 at 06:34

I have to disagree, I love this album, got it recently and cant stop listening to it, the only problem I have is that every song seems to have the same structure to it.

i subscrive this opinion... 8!

Hits total: 5151 | This month: 9