Metal Storm logo
Discuss Films You've Watched Recently (Spoilers Will Be Deleted)

Original post

Posted by Bad English, 13.01.2015 - 03:05
SWAT - Firefight
Nice modern film about modernized military type of SWAT team in Boston, like it, nice new film, nice woman in cop team
12.03.2023 - 15:30
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Runaway Jury (2003)

Great legal thriller in which the protagonist gets called to be one of the 12 jurors in a trial about a mass shooting and the responsibility of the gun manufacturer. The protagonist informs both the prosecutor and the defending attorney that'll he'll influence the jury and sway the vote if he gets $10 million from one of the sides. But, in truth, he has his own plan and motives as well....
12.03.2023 - 15:36
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Gattaca (1997)

Sci-fi thriller about a future society driven by eugenics where potential children are conceived through genetic selection to ensure they possess the best hereditary traits of their parents. The protagonist, born in a natural way outside of the eugenics program, has disadvantageous genes in the eyes of the perfectionist society. In order to join an astronaut program, the protagonist devises a plan to take over the identity of someone with extraordinary genes.

"The film draws on concerns over reproductive technologies that facilitate eugenics, and the possible consequences of such technological developments for society. It also explores the idea of destiny and the ways in which it can and does govern lives. Characters in Gattaca continually battle both with society and with themselves to find their place in the world and who they are destined to be according to their genes" — Wikipedia
19.03.2023 - 20:53
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Kolya (1996) (original title: Kolja)

A heartwarming Czech movie set in Soviet-occupied Czechoslovakia. The protagonist is a man in his late fifties who plays the cello at funerals. He's a ladies' man but refuses to get married until he accepts the deal of a fake marriage with a Russian single mother (she offers him money; in exchange she gets a Czech passport). Shortly after the fake marriage, she escapes further west to Germany, leaving her 5-year-old boy in the care of our protagonist. He warms up to the boy and becomes a caring father figure for him.

Highly recommend to anyone who wants to see a cute, charming tale about fatherly love
04.04.2023 - 15:37
no one

Mid 90s

Directed by Jonah Hill
Damn this movie hits home, gives me nostalgia both in a good and bad way. Fucked up family's, watching vhs skate vids in the skate shop and reading magazines cover to cover, no cell phones really was a better time.
Good movie for anyone who liked Kids.
----
Unable to connect to the database
17.04.2023 - 09:19
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Fight Club (1999)

I know the first rule of Fight Club is "you don't talk about Fight Club", so all I'll say is that this movie is so awesome, and Brad Pitt and Edward Norton both should've won Oscar's for this.
21.04.2023 - 10:47
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Alien (1979)
Great sci-fi horror. Similar to The Thing but in space! I was especially impressed by the great eerie atmosphere (especially in the scene where they land on the alien planet) and the detailed set design of the ship interior.

And who says Hollywood hasn't been diverse in its casting? This movie came out almost 50 years ago, and two women and a black man play significant roles!
24.04.2023 - 16:05
MetalstormBANatm

Dark Knight

Bateman Begin

Awesome triology about Batman, love it so much.
20.07.2023 - 22:56
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
The Silence of the Lambs (1991)

I finally got around to seeing this classic. It's clear how this movie was an inspiration for furure serial killer thrillers. Anthony Hopkins deserved his Oscar 110%. Jodie Foster also played a great protagonist. Man, I love those 1990s classics
24.07.2023 - 04:56
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Tenet (2020)

Christopher Nolan's Tenet premiered on German TV today, so I finally got to see it. I love Nolan's movies like Memento, The Dark Knight, and Inception. He's always got a thing for parallel storytelling, and here was probably his most complex storyline to date! I was glad I could pause it and discuss with my sister (who was watching with me) to understand everything that was going on. Great movie! Deserves its Oscar for best visual effects. The protagonists were awesome and likeable too. I recommend it.
24.07.2023 - 10:41
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by F3ynman2000 on 24.07.2023 at 04:56

Tenet (2020)

Christopher Nolan's Tenet premiered on German TV today, so I finally got to see it. I love Nolan's movies like Memento, The Dark Knight, and Inception. He's always got a thing for parallel storytelling, and here was probably his most complex storyline to date! I was glad I could pause it and discuss with my sister (who was watching with me) to understand everything that was going on. Great movie! Deserves its Oscar for best visual effects. The protagonists were awesome and likeable too. I recommend it.

Have you seen The Prestige ? I think it's one of his best
24.07.2023 - 16:50
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Roman Doez on 24.07.2023 at 10:41

No, I have still yet to see that! Thanks for the reminder. I've heard it being praised
24.07.2023 - 20:31
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Roman Doez on 24.07.2023 at 10:41

Ok I just watched The Prestige and you're right, it's phenomenal! I saw one of the twists coming about 4/5 of the way into the movie, but the last (satisfying) twist I didn't see coming at all! Awesome acting, awesome storytelling. I didn't expect a movie about magicians to be this gripping! 👏
24.07.2023 - 21:48
Roman Doez
Hallucigenia
Written by F3ynman2000 on 24.07.2023 at 20:31

Ok I just watched The Prestige and you're right, it's phenomenal! I saw one of the twists coming about 4/5 of the way into the movie, but the last (satisfying) twist I didn't see coming at all! Awesome acting, awesome storytelling. I didn't expect a movie about magicians to be this gripping! 👏

I'm not the biggest Nolan fan but that movie really is something else, glad you enjoyed it!
24.07.2023 - 21:59
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Roman Doez on 24.07.2023 at 21:48

I'm not the biggest Nolan fan but that movie really is something else, glad you enjoyed it!

I really like Nolan's movies. There's always a revelation at the end that makes you look at the movie in a different light. It makes you think about the movie even after it's over. And, I find, the longer I think about it, the better the movie gets. It makes me want to watch it again to see it all play out with this new knowledge.
25.07.2023 - 17:53
Metren
Dreadrealm
Oppenheimer

I just got back from the cinema. I'm not a big "talk-right-after-the-movie-ends-without-giving-yourself-time-to-digest-the-experience" person, so I'll just say it's really good. Far from perfect, but really good. The score was the only truly bad element. It was basic as fuck, while also overwhelming, super-noisy, shitty annoying violins... god... the score sucked so much. That's my super-elegant recommendation! Go watch Oppenheimer and skip whatever bullshit DC or Marvel are putting out next.
----
My one-man project's Bandcamp with free downloads: https://dreadrealm.bandcamp.com/
25.07.2023 - 18:34
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Written by Metren on 25.07.2023 at 17:53

The score was the only truly bad element. It was basic as fuck, while also overwhelming, super-noisy, shitty annoying violins... god... the score sucked so much.

That sounds like Hans Zimmer's style (think of Interstellar), but it turns out Hans Zimmer actually isn't the composer for Oppenheimer. It's Ludwig Göransson, who also made the score for Tenet, which also had these dense violins. It's good for suspense-building, I think. But yeah, it's not that inventive
26.07.2023 - 10:16
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Good, now someone should do Barbie.

26.07.2023 - 20:20
no one

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 26.07.2023 at 10:16

Good, now someone should do Barbie.

That would hurt your masculinity
----
26.07.2023 - 21:26
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Joker (2019)

Heard the movie was polarizing when it came out, but I think the rich people were just scared that people would riot against injustice in real life. This is, as I expected, a sad story about a mentally ill, abused man constantly being beaten down, before striking back. It's like Taxi Driver, but (probably a controversial opinion) I think I like Joker better. I get way more reasons to feel sympathetic for Arthur Fleck than for the taxi driver. And (spoilers) I'm glad Arthur embraced his personality at the end and the people who were cruel and heartless to him got what they deserved. There's something to learn for everybody: people need to treat each other with more sympathy and warmth, and those who are mentally ill should receive the care they need and deserve. Sad, yet a very well-done movie. Joaquin Phoenix definitely deserved his Oscar.
28.07.2023 - 00:16
no one

^ love the joker, one if my all time favourites.

My wife went to see Barbie and thought it was crap, and she's feminist as fuck
----
28.07.2023 - 06:09
MetalstormBANatm

Yeah I like the Joker movie too. If Vietnamese could treat mentall ill ppl with sympathy, love and respect, then my personality would be less extreme tough. And more peaceful.
29.07.2023 - 07:27
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Reservoir Dogs (1992)

This is my third Tarantino movie, after Pulp Fiction and Django Unchained (I also watched the beginning of Inglorious Basterds, but I didn't finish it). I found those movies OK, but I mostly wasn't a fan of them because they were simply crude and not that interesting to me.

Reservoir Dogs is now my favorite Tarantino movie by far. It has a super simple premise and the setting (other than flashbacks) is in a single location like a stage play. But the characterization and the acting is excellent! Super entertaining performances and great writing
29.07.2023 - 11:32
Ernis
狼獾
Went to see the latest Indiana Jones movie. I'd heard about some negative reviews beforehand but I don't regret seeing it, quite the contrary, it's really awesome that Harrison Ford still has the power and energy to portray his iconic character on screen again after all those years. Sure, it wasn't the same as the old films but overall, for someone like me who liked all of the earlier instalments, it sure was worth seeing.
10.08.2023 - 15:14
samive

I saw the last mission impossible very entertaining and still true to itself.

Mini Militia App Lock

19.08.2023 - 21:00
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Been going through older movies. Here are three that I highly recommend:

The 39 Steps (1935)
One of Alfred Hitchcock's first movies. A man being framed for murder is chased through Scotland. An entertaining thriller.

23 Paces To Baker Street (1956)
A bitter, blind man overhears a criminal plot. No one believes him except his loyal butler and his former fiancee. Together they try to find and stop the unknown criminals. A really intriguing premise, well executed.

A Passage To India (1984)
A moving story about racism about British occupation of India in the 1920s with an emotional ending that brought tears to my eyes. From the director and music composer behind Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago
19.08.2023 - 23:03
Cynic Metalhead
Paisa Vich Nasha
Written by F3ynman2000 on 19.08.2023 at 21:00

A moving story about racism about British occupation of India in the 1920s with an emotional ending that brought tears to my eyes. From the director and music composer behind Lawrence of Arabia and Doctor Zhivago

Perhaps one of the closest movies for folks wandering for pre-1947 Indian independence history and how insanely they were grappling with British empires.
20.08.2023 - 11:58
ylside

Written by Cynic Metalhead on 19.08.2023 at 23:03

Written by F3ynman2000 on 19.08.2023 at 21:00

Perhaps one of the closest movies for folks wandering for pre-1947 Indian independence history and how insanely they were grappling with British empires.

Will put on my watchlist, thanks!

As for me, latest movies I've seen lately, with one word or one sentence review :

The 36th Chamber of Shaolin (1978) - OKish, average.
Johnny Got His Gun (1971) - Fantastic movie.
La fin du jour (1939) - Boring crap.
Nosferatu (1922) - It's allright.
All Quiet on the Western Front (1930) - Nice.
The Abyss (1989) - Very good.

06.10.2023 - 11:22
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Iron Will (1994)
Nice, emotional, motivational movie with beautiful dogs!
Run longer, sleep less!
15.10.2023 - 17:01
Metal Rasputin

Ballad of a Soldier (1959)
The most beautiful film I have ever seen in my life, and I have seen plenty. The story is about a journey of soldier who gets a six day leave to visit his mother. Despite being technically a war film, the main theme of the story is love.
----
You've got a lot of guts. Let's see what they look like!
04.11.2023 - 04:05
F3ynman2000
Nocturnal Bro
Maximum Risk (1996)

"While seeking answers to the death of the twin brother he never knew he had, a French cop and his sibling's fiancee find themselves pursued by corrupt FBI agents and the Russian mafia."

Wow, what an awesome action movie starring Jean-Claude Van Damme! It's got some of the craziest stunts and fight scenes I've seen in a long time. Fights inside a burning apartment, jumping between subway trains, high-speed car chases, a claustrophobic knife-fight in an elevator, a brutal brawl in a sauna... the list goes on. If you like action (and a sexy supporting actress), go watch this movie!